PDA

View Full Version : How good was Buster Rhymes?

DakotaSooner
2/24/2010, 11:25 PM
I am 28 so I never saw him play but how good was he? Obviously he had off the field issues but my Dad says that he was a stud. Anyone on here watch him play and thoughts?

Harry Beanbag
2/25/2010, 02:21 AM
I hear he was the best Sooner to ever fire an Uzi off the balcony of his dorm room.

Soonerus
2/25/2010, 02:25 AM
He was good not great...

Leroy Lizard
2/25/2010, 03:20 AM
He was a major home run threat.

boomermagic
2/25/2010, 09:36 AM
Buster, The man with Luster.. He was VERY good...

rawlingsHOH
2/25/2010, 09:46 AM
Woo hah! Strong to very strong.

MojoRisen
2/25/2010, 09:49 AM
My brother played against him, said they prepared for him like he was one of the top backs in the country. He also played Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith and Thurman Thomas - so not on that level but very good to be mentioned in old glory day football talks.

tomtom
2/25/2010, 09:58 AM
I hear he was the best Sooner to ever fire an Uzi off the balcony of his dorm room.

Never happened, that was one of Bosworth lies in his book, he later appoliged after he was sued.

KantoSooner
2/25/2010, 10:08 AM
Buster played when I was at OU and did a little tutoring for athletes. I didn't know him, but followed the team pretty closely and had slightly better access than the average fan.
He was a bit of a head case and not a particularly strong team player, but was possibly the finest individual athlete I ever saw. Amazingly strong: he could bench with the linemen. Very fast, and especially so in 'football speed'; he played faster than his 40 speed would indicate.
I would categorize him in the direction of a Marcus Dupree: astounding physical gifts and great individual athletic development (far in excess of Dupree) but never lived up to his promise due to maturity issues.
One of my all time favorites, though.

Jacie
2/25/2010, 10:31 AM
He was a really tall, lanky kid when he came to OU and a man among boys in highschool (out of Miami, FL so maybe that is where the attitude thing comes from). He was recruited as a running back but at OU during the 70's and 80's that meant you competed against 10 other guys for a spot on the roster. There was a joke in the late 70's about Ohio State recruited linemen and turned them into running backs while OU recruited running backs and turned them into linemen. Anyway, Rhymes had a decent freshman season but also happened to be at OU when Marcus Dupree showed up. Switzer made a decision to run a power-I offense instead of the wishbone to take advantage of Marcus' unique talent, which meant the Sooners needed fewer running backs than with the wishbone so . . .

Buster was moved to wide receiver where his speed and height could be utilized to best advantage and even though OU would run first, second, and third and pass only a few times/game, Rhymes made them count when they threw his way. He was a fan favorite (which also fed his ego) on a team that people already idolized every player.

boomermagic
2/25/2010, 10:37 AM
Buster played when I was at OU and did a little tutoring for athletes. I didn't know him, but followed the team pretty closely and had slightly better access than the average fan.
He was a bit of a head case and not a particularly strong team player, but was possibly the finest individual athlete I ever saw. Amazingly strong: he could bench with the linemen. Very fast, and especially so in 'football speed'; he played faster than his 40 speed would indicate.
I would categorize him in the direction of a Marcus Dupree: astounding physical gifts and great individual athletic development (far in excess of Dupree) but never lived up to his promise due to maturity issues.
One of my all time favorites, though.

Buster was not even close to Dupree as far as athletic ability..

fwsooner22
2/25/2010, 10:41 AM
Never happened, that was one of Bosworth lies in his book, he later appoliged after he was sued.

Not saying you are wrong.....but I was at the "first snow" snowball fight some of you know what that means......and I was standing about 200 yards from the "jock dorm" and someone fired a gun in the air. I guarantee that happened. Never ran so darn fast in my life. Had to be 81' or 82'.

BigEasySooner
2/25/2010, 10:53 AM
http://membres.lycos.fr/underground418/hpbimg/busta%20rhymes%20scream.jpg

WOO HAA!

boomermagic
2/25/2010, 10:57 AM
He was a really tall, lanky kid when he came to OU and a man among boys in highschool (out of Miami, FL so maybe that is where the attitude thing comes from). He was recruited as a running back but at OU during the 70's and 80's that meant you competed against 10 other guys for a spot on the roster. There was a joke in the late 70's about Ohio State recruited linemen and turned them into running backs while OU recruited running backs and turned them into linemen. Anyway, Rhymes had a decent freshman season but also happened to be at OU when Marcus Dupree showed up. Switzer made a decision to run a power-I offense instead of the wishbone to take advantage of Marcus' unique talent, which meant the Sooners needed fewer running backs than with the wishbone so . . .

Buster was moved to wide receiver where his speed and height could be utilized to best advantage and even though OU would run first, second, and third and pass only a few times/game, Rhymes made them count when they threw his way. He was a fan favorite (which also fed his ego) on a team that people already idolized every player.

This is a good assesment IMO.. Buster was talented his tall lanky frame made him look a little clumsy at times but he wasn't.. Buster was very fast.. He was probably more suited to be a receiver than a Rb although he could handle either he was talented but not on the Dupree level but then who was ? Very few IF ANY...

KantoSooner
2/25/2010, 10:59 AM
Buster was not even close to Dupree as far as athletic ability..

No, he wasn't. And you'll note that's not what I said. I said that he resembled Dupree in that his natural ability was defeated by his attitude. He did have, however, better weight room and drill discipline than Dupree.

And, for the record, I was a huge fan of Dupree's. In fact, I think he had all the tools to be the finest RB in OU history. The head overrules the body, however, and his reliance on idiot 'advisors' did him in.

boomermagic
2/25/2010, 11:02 AM
Well, Here's what you said Kanto..

great individual athletic development (far in excess of Dupree)

But, I understand now.. It's cool..

KantoSooner
2/25/2010, 11:07 AM
Boomermagic:

I think we're agreeing loudly here. When I said Rhymes had great individual development, I was referring to Rhymes gym and drills. The guy worked out. Hard. He improved himself and really tried to learn.
Dupree, with a much greater NATURAL skill set (gift from God, freak of nature, what have you), did less to improve himself.

That Dupree still ended up a more impressive specimen with a greater ability to influence a football game is more testament to his DNA than anything else.

Friend, Boomer, Friend!

boomermagic
2/25/2010, 11:08 AM
Boomermagic:

I think we're agreeing loudly here. When I said Rhymes had great individual development, I was referring to Rhymes gym and drills. The guy worked out. Hard. He improved himself and really tried to learn.
Dupree, with a much greater NATURAL skill set (gift from God, freak of nature, what have you), did less to improve himself.

That Dupree still ended up a more impressive specimen with a greater ability to influence a football game is more testament to his DNA than anything else.

Friend, Boomer, Friend!

Yep, We are in agreement..

Sooner04
2/25/2010, 11:14 AM
To Buster Rhymes! The hero of the '80 OU win over Nebraska in Lincoln.

boomermagic
2/25/2010, 11:19 AM

I'll drink to that..:D

MrJimBeam
2/25/2010, 11:49 AM

Yessir! Busted off a 40 yard run in the final TD drive if I remember correctly.

Flagstaffsooner
2/25/2010, 12:25 PM
He beat up an OU cop for giving him a parking ticket as I remember. My girlfiend at the time lived in the same apartment complex as him. The Norman popos were visiting him alot on domestic issues.

boomermagic
2/25/2010, 12:33 PM
He beat up an OU cop for giving him a parking ticket as I remember. My girlfiend at the time lived in the same apartment complex as him. The Norman popos were visiting him alot on domestic issues.

I didn't know that about George..

toast
2/26/2010, 11:25 PM
3:00 mark into this video...remember being in the south end zone and getting soaked during this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cMRe0bvNc

SanJoaquinSooner
2/27/2010, 12:43 PM
Buster Rhymes was like a healthy DeMarco Murray.

Marcus Dupree was like a fast Jerome Bettis.

King Crimson
2/27/2010, 10:15 PM
Buster won that one for us in Lincoln. another OU-NU game back then we had no business winning. Buster led the NFL in KO returns a couple years, maybe.

Dupree was Billy Sims in Reggie Kinlaw's body. he was a force of nature....when he was in shape.

Sabanball
2/28/2010, 10:34 PM
I remember watching him play, as I was living in the state at that time. He always struck me as a player with huge upside potential, but never really got a chance to reach it in Switzer's earth-chewing, run-only offense.

BTW, didn't Buster play in the controversial '84 game against Texas? For some strange reason, I seem to recall him getting in on that rain-soaked game as well.

sooneron
3/1/2010, 10:46 AM
3:00 mark into this video...remember being in the south end zone and getting soaked during this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cMRe0bvNc

I was at that game and was heavily buzzed and wet!
I remember the NU Football shirts.
On the back, it said Perennial Big 8 runner up! :D

Buster had a lot of issues. I think he was also busted for stealing his roommate's stereo. Brilliant!
He did play in the 1984 ut game.:(

sooneron
3/1/2010, 10:48 AM
Oh, and to the OP, he was very good and threat to score. He just wasn't consistent. He'd have a great game one week and not good one the following. He had plenty of opportunities to shine on returns, as well.