PDA

View Full Version : Rooting extra-hard for the OU women's team tonight

NMSooner'80
2/24/2010, 11:35 AM
That would be so cool to see them end Nebraska's undefeated run this season. It would also preserve OU's distinction of being the only Big 12 team, men's or women's, to go 16-0 in the regular season and 3-0 in the postseason tourney (our gals did it in '06).

It would also take at least some of the sting out of losing yet another men's game to the Kansas Jay-Horns. :mad: Their fans were insufferable enough when they were underachieving back in the Ted Owens days (at least in the late 70's, when I was at OU). I'm sure they're worse now.

Boomer.....
2/24/2010, 11:44 AM
They have their hands full but I think they can pull it out. Hopefully the shots will be falling tonight and the turnovers are reduced.

badger
2/24/2010, 12:16 PM
I've tried to keep womens basketball discussions on one thread this season... but let's face it, mens basketball fans, the women are having the season that men should have had with all their Mickie D's on roster, and the women were expected to have the season the men are having with the loss of the Paris twins to graduation and the loss of Whitney Hand to Jason White Syndrome (which thank goodness, is not terminal to a career and in fact can lead to top player honors after recovery).

With the roles reversed, hope you embrace the chick ballers and don't give up 04's kingdom for a womens forum. They have taken adversity, low preseason rankings (No. 20 in the AP poll) and given it all the bird.

As for Nebraska... it is allegedly televised on KAUT Channel 43 and COX Ch. 7 (Oklahoma City); COX Ch. 117 (Tulsa)... and if you have the same Cox cable crap that I do, this means that you will be watching via the intraweb and wondering why you pay so much for cable that doesn't give you all the channels. 7:07 p.m. is the official start time.

Nebbish players to watch:
Imagine that, they have some standout named Griffin :rolleyes: Kelsey Griffin, who coincidentally enough is jersey No. 23, should be the target of Sooner fans anger tonight. Averaging almost 20 ppg and 10 rpg, she is like our Tank Thompson, but with more points. In all likelihood other-Griffin-who-wears-number-23 will be the Big 12 Player of the Year if Nebraska can keep this undefeated crap up.

How OU wins:

Nebraska used to win games by 20, but they are really fumbling a lot lately and margins are closer, even against crappy teams. As I mentioned over on the blog, winning this game does not give us a chance at the Big 12 crown. Nebraska has a three-game lead on everyone and crappy, unranked north opponents to finish up the season after us. It's theirs... all a win does is mean that Huskette isn't undefeated and they don't win the crown on our home court... in other words, we need this win more than them. A win here means a first-round Big 12 tourney bye, pretty much.

Shoot lots of free throws: We are making the ones we take... and as any tired cliche'd commentator will tell you, you miss the shots you don't take. Ew, feel dirty for saying that.

Minimize turnovers: Quite frankly, if we have the same gameplan for them that we had for Puke-On, we win. Eventually UConn out-talented us with their depth and shooting, but Nebbish doesn't have that. The only thing that makes them and UConn alike (as the polls that refuse to respect them indicate) is an undefeated record.

Rebound: Other than Chick Griffin #23, they have no real rebounding threats. This means Abi and Tank should focus on this (and they really have boxed out well and stayed on guard a lot with this).

I really, really feel good about this game tonight and hope you all do too.Considering all that this team's accomplished despite everything excuse out there for them not to succeed, here they are ranked high, winning and even scaring UConn.

Prediction: OU 60, Nebbish 56

bri
2/24/2010, 12:19 PM
As soon as I saw the author of this thread, I knew that somehow it would manage to work in a shot at the men's team. That's what I love about message boards; they rarely disappoint.

badger
2/24/2010, 12:31 PM
Here's something for the men's team:

The 2005-06 Sooner women ran the table to a 19-0 record, including a three-game sweep in the conference tournament.

Kansas' men's program went undefeated in the regular season in 2001-02 before falling to two-seed Oklahoma in the men's championship final.

So because of the women's success and the men's success, I think OU is the only basketball program in the Big 12 that went undefeated in the regular season and conference tournament. We wouldn't have that distinction without both the men and women.

04 - wasn't that 01-02 season the one where KS's halftime speech was throwing a chair at the chalkboard? :D

NMSooner'80
2/24/2010, 02:11 PM
As soon as I saw the author of this thread, I knew that somehow it would manage to work in a shot at the men's team. That's what I love about message boards; they rarely disappoint.

Huh? :confused: :confused:

I'm a bigger fan of the men's game, but an OU fan first and foremost. But I'm also a big fan of not losing, especially to KU, OSU and UT, regardless.

Sooner04
2/24/2010, 02:58 PM
04 - wasn't that 01-02 season the one where KS's halftime speech was throwing a chair at the chalkboard? :D
I think you're referring to the 2001 final when we beat Texas. Lopes destroyed a dry-erase board during halftime.

Weren't we down something like 26-8 late in the first half? Back then we absolutely OWNED Texas in basketball.

badger
2/24/2010, 03:31 PM
Weren't we down something like 26-8 late in the first half? Back then we absolutely OWNED Texas in basketball.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a mens basketball thread, but question -

Would we still pwn the whorns in basketball if Damion James stayed at OU?

Sooner04
2/24/2010, 03:36 PM
Would we still pwn the whorns in basketball if Damion James stayed at OU?
Nah. He's nowhere near that good.

badger
2/24/2010, 03:43 PM
I asked about him specifically because it seemed like around the time he left for whorndom, Texas got good and we got... well, we had a few good years with Griffin and bro, but... yknow.

Long story short, I really don't remember any other Big 12 team besides us that went undefeated in the regular season and the conference tourney, thanks to both the mens and womens teams, so it's time to kill the bugeaters to ensure that continues.

NMSooner'80
2/24/2010, 06:55 PM
One other thing on the fallacy of being labeled someone who wanted to bash the men's team.

I have been in Albuquerque since the fall of 1993. A little over 10 years ago, the local women's basketball team started showing signs of life. The men's team was nationally ranked at UNM, but was generally underappreciated. So the people who favored women's basketball, and the UNM women's team in particular, thought it "wise" to promote that team by bashing their local men's team.

All that accomplished was turning off a lot of people who grew up following the men's team. You can only take so much stupidity like that before you just shut down your potential interest in the other program. I even heard it caused hard feelings between the two programs themselves, and I can't say that I blame the people in the men's program for feeling that way.

badger
2/24/2010, 06:59 PM
One thing that programs like Oklahoma and Tennessee (until Kiffiekins, haha) have going for them was that all of the coaches of the major programs really got along well and supported each other's programs. Sherri, Bob and KS (and now Capel and family) all come to each other's games, all sing praises of eachother's successes. I don't think I need to remind you all what Pat Summitt and Bruce Pearl did for each other, but Fat Fulmer also attended Vols basketball games till his ouster.

Boomer.....
2/24/2010, 10:08 PM
Well they fought hard but in the end couldn't hang with Nebraska. NU ended the game on an 18-1 run and won the game by 16. Blah!

As usual we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn shooting but we held our own for most of the game. Oh, what could have been.