PDA

View Full Version : Daily Oklahoman

edie
2/23/2010, 11:52 AM
anyone else notice that the DOK never bothered to run a story regarding the women coming back from 21 pts. down to win the game on sunday? but let a couple of the ou men shoplift or pee on bricktown and that's breaking news!!

seems the coverage is little to none this year. considering the challenges they've overcome to be in second place in one of the toughest conferences if not the toughest would warrant a little more coverage.

the men on the other hand, having a bad year, are the top story every other day on the DOK website.

you know i could really take off here and jump up on the soapbox but i'm not going to. i'm hoping that my point is evident.

GO SOONERS BEAT nebraska!!

BOOMER....

NormanPride
2/23/2010, 11:58 AM
SOONER!

I agree, the coverage of the DOK has been bad. That's why I pay attention to the Tulsa World!

linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100222_92_B4_MANHAT121591)

NMSooner'80
2/23/2010, 02:32 PM
I read it on-line and was disappointed in both the OU-KSU women's coverage and the OU-SDSU baseball series.

My guess is that OSU's recent fade, since Andrea Riley is their favorite player as a staff, has caused them to lose some interest in the women's game. I was just surprised they mentioned it when she got suspended for a half by Coach Dagwood (finally!).

badger
2/23/2010, 02:54 PM
Coach Dagwood???

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06z12jZ8DV2R6/610x.jpg
http://www.healthyreader.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/dagwood.jpg
lol... or should we call him Coach Bumstead since that kind of sounds like Budke and sounds funnier :D

as for DOK coverage, they really did a lot before/after the UConn game and as big as our crowds are at home, womens basketball is still not as big of a readership draw as football and mens basketball... or in osu's case, rasslin :rolleyes:

I think our team and other womens basketball teams in the state feel fortunate and lucky with the fan support and media coverage they receive, because let's be honest - even our Final Four, four-time all-american, sherri-is-hot program was once near extinction. I have spoken with the womens associate athletic director and coach coale on this subject... they both know how far OU's come and while they may never be satisfied with results on the court till there's a championship banner hanging in the rafters, they are both very thankful and pleased with fan support and media coverage, methinks.

NMSooner'80
2/23/2010, 03:27 PM
Another nickname for Budke, other than the obvious (Butt-key), has been Conway Twitty. :D

sooner_born_1960
2/23/2010, 03:30 PM
I would swear I read an article on the comeback in my edition of the DOK. Maybe you live in an area that gets an earlier edition.

badger
2/23/2010, 03:47 PM
They had an AP story it appears.

Linky (http://www.newsok.com/article/3441254?searched=kansas%20state&custom_click=search)

I don't know about the print version - they don't deliver it to Tulsa anymore.

As for Budke, he is gonna be around longer than Goodenough (hahahahahahaha, no nickname needed for her!) so we need a nickname that would rival Skeletor (credit NP for that one).

sooner_born_1960
2/23/2010, 03:51 PM
Hmmm. It appears it was an AP story. Kinda hard to believe they wouldn't send a reporter to Manhattan.

edie
2/23/2010, 04:21 PM
sb1960 - i will say that i am speaking only of the web-site. i quit taking the paper allloonnnngg time ago.

badger - that all makes sense but it just irks me. and speaking of crowds....

BUY SOME TICKETS AND GET TO NORMAN TOMORROW NIGHT !!!

BOOMER......

badger
2/23/2010, 04:57 PM
I am sure that men's gymnastics feels the same way at times - they win national championships left and right, but in addition to not getting much coverage, they also don't exactly fill the LNC.

(I've been to gymnastics events - TV makes them look so much more fun that they they are in person - 20 things going on at once! it's hard to keep track of all the action)

Also, don't hate em too much for nobody getting sent to Little Apple. I don't think any other media followed the team up there either.

badger
2/24/2010, 01:50 PM
Edie, the DOK must have heard you because Jenni not only wrote a column on the team, but did a video too.

Linky (http://newsok.com/ou-women-play-host-to-unbeaten-nebraska/article/3441714?custom_click=lead_story_title)

Here's the preview pic that accompanies the article:
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/862968/lead620/
lol :D

edie
2/24/2010, 03:46 PM
i saw that this morning. not a bad write up either. getting a little nervous about tonight. went to the thunder game last night and was continuing on with my efforts to get people to go to the game. not sure if people just wanted me to shut up or if they were really going but i was actually a little surprised by the number that said they were going.

BOOMER....

SoonerMom2
2/24/2010, 06:59 PM
anyone else notice that the DOK never bothered to run a story regarding the women coming back from 21 pts. down to win the game on sunday? but let a couple of the ou men shoplift or pee on bricktown and that's breaking news!!

seems the coverage is little to none this year. considering the challenges they've overcome to be in second place in one of the toughest conferences if not the toughest would warrant a little more coverage.

the men on the other hand, having a bad year, are the top story every other day on the DOK website.

you know i could really take off here and jump up on the soapbox but i'm not going to. i'm hoping that my point is evident.

GO SOONERS BEAT nebraska!!

BOOMER....

Well said. That doesn't even account for the fact that the DOK has been pushing Okie State especially in football. DOK writers couldn't believe ut when we beat OSU in basketball. I no longer take their paper because the sports section SUCKS!

NMSooner'80
2/25/2010, 11:52 AM
I know it sounds whiny to at least question the OKC media where OU and OSU are concerned.

But, when it comes to basketball, I remember some things from OU's men's/women's Final Four season that have stuck with me:

1. OSU was constantly called a "Final Four contender" that year, and the OU men were an afterthought in the non-conference.

2. Even after OU crushed Arkansas, in Fayetteville, a certain local columnist was still more impressed with OSU's "big comeback" in Little Rock to beat the Hogs. While it is impressive to come from 22 down to win, that in no way is more impressive than beating a decent Hog team in Bud Walton Arena by 15 (69-54).

3. Two years later, when OSU became a Final Four team, they got a special hardback book printed for the occasion. The Daily O did no such thing for either of OU's teams in '02.

...sooner
2/25/2010, 11:59 AM
maybe they feel bad because OU football takes over the sports section during football season? lol i know a TON of OSU fans who cry & gripe because they dont get enough football coverage. OU gets ALL the color pictures they say! hahaha :rolleyes: