PDA

View Full Version : The Raccoons Are Driving The Dog Nuts...

SunnySooner
2/23/2010, 07:48 AM
About every other night I let the dog out, all hell breaks loose. Last night, after barking his head off and chasing it all over the yard, he ended up getting the coon treed on top of the girl's swingset. And these are the cockiest-a**ed coons I've ever seen. They sit there and look at me like I'm a moe-ron until I take the ferocious furball back in the house. Then they go try to ransack my garbage, little bastages.

Anybody got any good anti-coon suggestions? No, I can't shoot them, I'm in a 'burb, plus I'm too much of a girl, yuck. If one decides to fight the dog, he's toast, that's my main worry, he's just a 10 lb. ball of fluff.

sooner n houston
2/23/2010, 08:24 AM
22 -- yw

1890MilesToNorman
2/23/2010, 09:09 AM
Don't they have animal control down there in Flawda? On 2nd thought, call Tebow. :D

Mjcpr
2/23/2010, 09:51 AM
Prestone hamburgers.

Leroy Lizard
2/23/2010, 10:43 AM
Coons are too cute to kill.

Collier11
2/23/2010, 12:20 PM
jolly ranchers

Flagstaffsooner
2/23/2010, 01:17 PM
Uh-oh Sunny. We have a problem.

http://www.laughingwolf.co.uk/toons/animals/coon_dog.jpg

RacerX
2/23/2010, 01:35 PM
raccoons - big time rabies problem.

Get a trap. You can get them from animal control or some hardware stores. They work pretty well.

SunnySooner
2/23/2010, 02:09 PM
If I trap it does someone come get it? And yeah, rabies is really bad down here, ugh.

Flag, lol!!

Collier, ????? Does it choke them or something?

Collier11
2/23/2010, 02:24 PM
LOL

When I was in HS I worked at Roman Nose State park with my best friend Amy and there were these Raccoons that would come up every day to the lodge and people would feed them. One day Amy and I gave one a jolly rancher and it got stuck to the top of his mouth, the raccoon kept making this weird noise as it tried to get it off the roof of its mouth, it was just funny as hell

1890MilesToNorman
2/23/2010, 02:33 PM
I think he just heard about yer OU Foosball parties and wants an invite Sunny.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6-IIXAF5HOE/StfKDDJ0T_I/AAAAAAAAHMU/wDFdP6tzaQo/s400/racoon+eating+cracker+jacks.jpg

RacerX
2/23/2010, 03:17 PM
If I trap it does someone come get it? And yeah, rabies is really bad down here, ugh.

Flag, lol!!

Collier, ????? Does it choke them or something?

Trap it, then call animal control. That's how city folk do it.

C&CDean
2/23/2010, 04:27 PM
If it's sitting on the swingset and you can't shoot it then grab the kid's baseball bat and club the ****ing thing into bolivia.

Man I hate me a coon. They're not cute, they're evil and vicious. If this coon does get ahold of your dog - you're right, he's toast. Coons are tough. Like RacerX said, they carry rabies and all kinds of other **** around too.

I set those humane traps like they sell at Atwoods or Tractor Supply all the time behind my barns. When I go check them and there's a coon in it I go "yes!" I use a little .22 pistol and just go shoot them in the head between the wires of the cage. Sometimes it'll be a possum in the cage and I dispatch them the same way. Oftentimes, it's a ****ing skunk though. I try to set the traps downwind of the house, cause when I shoot them bastards they always spray. You have to shoot and run. Of course my neighbor sets his traps by the water tank and has a rope tied to them. If he catches a skunk, he slowly lifts the trap and sets it down in the water tank. Skunks won't spray underwater I guess, but it drowns them and no stink.

Anyhow, I'm not much on slow-deaths. A well-swung Louisville Slugger upside a coon's head usually does the trick. And if not, everyone else can have some comic relief while it's chasing you all over the yard.

A Sooner in Texas
2/23/2010, 08:47 PM
Sunny, my dad, who lives in Bartlesville, has trapped many a coon in his back yard (his yard borders river bottom land and it's essentially a wildlife sanctuary, including wild turkeys). Once he has one in the trap, he then chauffeurs it about 15-20 miles away and sets it free so it can become someone else's problem - or wind up eventually back in his yard.
I'd say trap and animal control. And watch your pup carefully.

AlbqSooner
2/23/2010, 08:58 PM
Once you get one trapped, put the trap, with the coon in it, in a lawn and leaf bag. Run a hose from your lawnmower or car into the bag. Duct tape the bag opening to the hose. Start the engine. Let it run a few minutes till the bag swells. Shut the engine off and go drink a beer. Come back in 20 minutes or so and you have a dead coon in a trap in a bag.

Crucifax Autumn
2/24/2010, 12:13 AM
A well-swung Louisville Slugger upside a coon's head usually does the trick. And if not, everyone else can have some comic relief while it's chasing you all over the yard.

When I was about 12 a possum got into my grandma's house one night. I went after it with a 9 iron. Gave it my strongest swing and the focker rared up and started hissing at me. I'm not to tough to say that, at the age of 12, I ran. Apparently it went out the way it came in and never came back, so mission accomplished.

Breadburner
2/24/2010, 08:38 AM
There is an old saying..."You're just like a pet Coon,what you don't tear up you $hit on....!

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/24/2010, 01:33 PM
You need a bigger dog

http://www.puppyparadise.com/images/Breeds/rottweiler.jpg

SunnySooner
2/24/2010, 03:32 PM
You need a bigger dog

http://www.puppyparadise.com/images/Breeds/rottweiler.jpg

lol! yeah, this guy doesn't strike a whole lot of fear into many hearts, but we wuvs him, yes we do, he's a good doggie, him's a good boy, ...uh, sorry.:O ;) :D

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/sooners93/405.jpg

SoonerInKCMO
2/24/2010, 06:31 PM
Are you sure that's a dog and not a mophead?

;)

proud gonzo
2/24/2010, 06:42 PM
you could get a big live trap like Dean said and then call animal control after you catch the critters...

SunnySooner
2/24/2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I guess I'll have to do the trap thing, it's getting annoying. See, it's times like these when you wish your deployed husband had his *** HOME!!! This is why I got married!!! Men are s'posed to take out the trash, fix the car, kill the bugs, and deal with the damn raccoons!!!!!! That's why we put up with them!! Putting up with them with none of these side benefits is THE SUCK!!!!!

Leroy Lizard
2/24/2010, 07:42 PM
Ricky Raccoon: We were here first. If you don't like it, get rid of your worthless dog. We don't bark at him; why should he bark at us?

Roxy Raccoon: Yeah, we gotsta' eat too.

Ricky Raccoon: Back to the dog thing. He's the one keeping you up at night. Not us.

:D

SunnySooner
2/24/2010, 07:50 PM
Ricky Raccoon: We were here first. If you don't like it, get rid of your worthless dog. We don't bark at him; why should he bark at us?

Roxy Raccoon: Yeah, we gotsta' eat too.

Ricky Raccoon: Back to the dog thing. He's the one keeping you up at night. Not us.

:D

It's my yard. I was here first. The dog was invited. You were not. Buh-bye.

Leroy Lizard
2/24/2010, 08:02 PM
Ricky Raccoon: Just tell your dog to shut the Hell up and there's no problem, right? He goes out every night. At what point does it sink into his thick skull that he has seen us before and future barking is only going to get everyone yelling at him? I mean, how stupid can you be? "Gee, there's a raccoon. It's the same raccoon I have seen every freakin' night. I know what I will do! I'll bark like an idiot."

SunnySooner
2/24/2010, 08:58 PM
I love my dog. He should be able to **** in his own yard in peace. He loves me. When he sees a threatening presence, it's his job to protect, that's all he knows. So uninvited, unwelcome, disruptive, trash-spreading, Ricky Raccoon needs to move the hell on to some other yard and leave me the hell alone.

unbiasedtruth
2/24/2010, 09:07 PM
go get a decent size log and drill a hole in about the size of a racoon's paw, then drive several nails at angle from outside the hole into the hole where the nail points are sticking out in the hole. Take a piece of tin foil or something else shiny, like a couple of dimes and set in the bottom of the drilled hole. Smear a little caned dog food around the hole to attract the racoons. It will see the shiny object in th bottom of the hole, reach in and grab it making a fist. When he tries to pull back their fist will get caught on the nails. The raccoon wont drop the shiny object and becomes trapped with his paw fisted up in the hole.

What you do after that is your business... someone suggested a Louisville slugger and I think thats a terrific idea...

Leroy Lizard
2/24/2010, 09:36 PM
Be sure to tell your dogs that the coon is not a cat. I've seen dogs make that mistake. Only once, though.