PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Wallace wants to commit????

Tigeman
2/22/2010, 02:34 AM
I heard that supposedly Anthony Wallace wanted to commit to OU this weekend after Junior Day, but his mom is making him wait till at least the summer. This was also confirmed by Barnett. Anyone else hearing this?

Possible it's just a post visit high.... but with Joe Powell and Corey Nelson also being from Skyline, it is possible we're starting a pipeline there. Could be a nice get! Pretty early though, especially for someone who's parents seem to be pretty involved if the above is true.

Collier11
2/22/2010, 04:37 AM
Id say his mom is probably smart, make him think it through

trwxxa
2/22/2010, 08:44 PM
or commit to the whorns when he is in Austin next weekend.

soonerguild
2/22/2010, 11:20 PM
if he is going to be in austin this weekend then we soon shall see, if he makes it outta there uncomitted then I'd say our chances look good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully bennet, nelson, and powell are doing some recruiting of their own!

Tigeman
2/23/2010, 12:31 AM
or commit to the whorns when he is in Austin next weekend.

Why would he be there next weekend? He wasn't scheduled to be, as he already attended their first junior day and got out of there w/o signing. Double checking their list, he doesn't appear to be on the list to attend this one.

Herr Scholz
2/23/2010, 01:37 AM
Wallace came to the 1st weekend. Mack offered and he didn't say yes. We also offered LB Steve Edmond.

soonerguild
2/23/2010, 12:05 PM
Wallace came to the 1st weekend. Mack offered and he didn't say yes. We also offered LB Steve Edmond.

From what I read, which is completely someone else's opinion, Edmond and Wallace are the top 2 LB's in the state and that OU and ut are the big players for both. I think Wallace wants to visit florida also. Pretty much if he doesn't come to OU it becomes a lesser of two evils.;)

oudavid1
2/23/2010, 12:32 PM
I want them both, as long as hey can move around and cover. No peeing on bar stools though

sooner518
2/23/2010, 01:41 PM
if he commits to us, Im sure Mack will retroactively pull his offer. they didnt want him anyways:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
2/23/2010, 04:08 PM
Well, Edmond committed to my Horns which only leaves room for 1 more LB in this '11 class for us. Besides Wallace, we're also looking at this Vaughters kid from Georgia who Muschamp thinks we have a shot at.

The Wallace situation is interesting to watch in terms of the Dallas Skyline recruits. It seems like both of our schools are trying to establish a pipeline there. We've got 2 players from there in S Christian Scott and WR Mike Davis and you guys have Powell and Corey Nelson.

soonerguild
2/23/2010, 04:38 PM
Side question, Herr- in your opinion who is going to be better, mike davis or darius white, I've read people preaching each side, just wondering. If its d white it will hurt a little more, but I'm just curious.

Herr Scholz
2/23/2010, 05:06 PM
Who knows. I saw both of them in those all star games and they both looked like great athletes. Saw Davis make a circus catch for a TD and saw White running with it after the catch pretty well. I've read many opinions that Davis just might be the best one. Both will probably play this year though.

soonerguild
2/24/2010, 04:16 PM
And another Q Herr, How many guys enrolled early for you.

HillbillyRay
2/24/2010, 07:15 PM
that would be nice, i think skyline has a top notch d-back also... that would be a great school to establish a pipeline with GO SOONERS!!

Herr Scholz
2/25/2010, 02:17 AM
And another Q Herr, How many guys enrolled early for you.

Only 3: Case McCoy, Connor Wood and AJ White (CB).

Herr Scholz
2/25/2010, 02:18 AM
that would be nice, i think skyline has a top notch d-back also... that would be a great school to establish a pipeline with GO SOONERS!!

Franklin Shannon. He and Wallace are both great.

soonerguild
2/25/2010, 04:40 PM
Only 3: Case McCoy, Connor Wood and AJ White (CB).

I'm surprised with your depth chart the way it looks that a reciever or running back didn't show up early, the D back coming early makes sense though

Herr Scholz
2/25/2010, 05:41 PM
I'm surprised with your depth chart the way it looks that a reciever or running back didn't show up early, the D back coming early makes sense though

RB:8;SR:1;JR:3;SO:1;FR:3
RB: #23 Tre Newton 6-0; 200 (So.)
RB: #28 Foswhitt Whittaker 5-10; 195 (Jr.)
RB: #31 Cody Johnson 5-11; 250 (Jr.)
RB: #2 Vondrell McGee 5-10; 205 (Sr.)
RB: #25 Jeremy Hills 6-0; 195 (Jr.)
RB: #21 Chris Whaley 6-3; 245 (Fr.)
RB: #45 Luke Padgett 6-1; 225 (Fr.) SQ
RB: Traylon Shead 6-2; 210 (Fr.)

WR:17;SR:4;JR:1;SO:5;FR:7
WR: #9 Malcolm Williams 6-3; 225 (Jr.)
WR: #11 James Kirkendoll 5-11; 180 (Sr.)
WR: #8 Marquise Goodwin 5-9; 175 (So.)
WR: #5 John Chiles 6-2; 210 (Sr.)
WR: #26 D.J. Monroe 5-9; 171 (So.)
WR: #81 Gregory Timmons 6-3; 201 (Fr.)
WR: #3 DeSean Hales 5-11; 175 (So.)
WR: #16 Brock Fitzhenry 5-9; 171 (So.) SQ
WR: #86 Cade McCrary 6-4; 180 (Fr.)
WR: #87 Patrick McNamara 6-4; 205 (So.) SQ
WR: #29 Jaren Nickleson 6-0; 180 (Fr.)
WR: #30 Ryan Zych 5-10; 182 (Sr.) SQ
WR: #82 Chris Torbert 5-8; 175 (Sr.) SQ
WR: Mike Davis 6-2; 183 (Fr.)
WR: Darius White 6-3; 200 (Fr.)
WR: Chris Jones 6-0; 175 (Fr.)
WR: Darius Terrell 6-3; 215 (Fr.)

yankee
2/25/2010, 10:01 PM
The Ref was interviewing Chris Barnett yesterday, and Chris said he and wallace were like brothers, and their families were real tight too. we'll see if that gets us anywhere (chris said he's been working anthony over :D), but hopefully it's a start. i missed the name, but chris said that someone wanted to commit just a little while ago but is going to wait or something like that. might be wallace, which would confirm what you heard.

Tigeman
2/26/2010, 04:22 AM
The Ref was interviewing Chris Barnett yesterday, and Chris said he and wallace were like brothers, and their families were real tight too. we'll see if that gets us anywhere (chris said he's been working anthony over :D), but hopefully it's a start. i missed the name, but chris said that someone wanted to commit just a little while ago but is going to wait or something like that. might be wallace, which would confirm what you heard.

Heard, got first hand, it's all the same! :D ;)

Herr Scholz
2/27/2010, 07:32 PM
Well, UT took LB/DE Kendall Thompson today so don't know what that does with Wallace for this class. Although Thompson might play that Buck position like Kindle where he puts his hand on the ground some. Might be good news for you guys with those two Skyline kids.

We also took OT Greenlea today as well. Puts us at 17 verbals for the '11 class so far. Almost done before March. Pretty crazy.

BillyBall
2/27/2010, 08:04 PM
RB:8;SR:1;JR:3;SO:1;FR:3
RB: #23 Tre Newton 6-0; 200 (So.)
RB: #28 Foswhitt Whittaker 5-10; 195 (Jr.)
RB: #31 Cody Johnson 5-11; 250 (Jr.)
RB: #2 Vondrell McGee 5-10; 205 (Sr.)
RB: #25 Jeremy Hills 6-0; 195 (Jr.)
RB: #21 Chris Whaley 6-3; 245 (Fr.)
RB: #45 Luke Padgett 6-1; 225 (Fr.) SQ
RB: Traylon Shead 6-2; 210 (Fr.)

WR:17;SR:4;JR:1;SO:5;FR:7
WR: #9 Malcolm Williams 6-3; 225 (Jr.)
WR: #11 James Kirkendoll 5-11; 180 (Sr.)
WR: #8 Marquise Goodwin 5-9; 175 (So.)
WR: #5 John Chiles 6-2; 210 (Sr.)
WR: #26 D.J. Monroe 5-9; 171 (So.)
WR: #81 Gregory Timmons 6-3; 201 (Fr.)
WR: #3 DeSean Hales 5-11; 175 (So.)
WR: #16 Brock Fitzhenry 5-9; 171 (So.) SQ
WR: #86 Cade McCrary 6-4; 180 (Fr.)
WR: #87 Patrick McNamara 6-4; 205 (So.) SQ
WR: #29 Jaren Nickleson 6-0; 180 (Fr.)
WR: #30 Ryan Zych 5-10; 182 (Sr.) SQ
WR: #82 Chris Torbert 5-8; 175 (Sr.) SQ
WR: Mike Davis 6-2; 183 (Fr.)
WR: Darius White 6-3; 200 (Fr.)
WR: Chris Jones 6-0; 175 (Fr.)
WR: Darius Terrell 6-3; 215 (Fr.)

17 WR's, what the **** is that?

Herr Scholz
2/28/2010, 01:00 AM
17 WR's, what the **** is that?

7 of those won't ever see the field. Mostly walkons. McCrary is an invited walkon who played on those state title teams with Garrett Gilbert.

Tigeman
2/28/2010, 07:15 AM
We also took OT Greenlea today as well. Puts us at 17 verbals for the '11 class so far. Almost done before March. Pretty crazy.

Look at it this way.... even your 3 star guys got bumped to 4 star after they verballed to you guys. Had it been us they would have dropped a star and you would have quit recruiting them :D

Herr Scholz
3/1/2010, 03:49 PM
Mack doesn't recruit by stars. He and his staff pick the guys they want the most and offer them. Colt was a 3-star. So was Michael Huff (among many others).

The recruiting rankings this early represent the fact the not everyone's seen a lot of these guys play. Recruitniks tend to bump players up based on offers from bigtime schools (and not just Texas). It's really not a conspiracy. We've had players go up as well as down after they signed with us.

BillyBall
3/1/2010, 03:58 PM
Mack doesn't recruit by stars. He and his staff pick the guys they want the most and offer them. Colt was a 3-star. So was Michael Huff (among many others).

The recruiting rankings this early represent the fact the not everyone's seen a lot of these guys play. Recruitniks tend to bump players up based on offers from bigtime schools (and not just Texas). It's really not a conspiracy. We've had players go up as well as down after they signed with us.

A lot of mid major schools like Boise State and TCU wait until the kid's senior year to try and find "under the radar" guys like Kellen Moore. For schools that never finish in the top 25 for recruiting, they do a great job of evaluating talent.

Herr Scholz
3/1/2010, 05:15 PM
There are a ton of quality football players in this state every year, that's for sure. Plenty to go around.

soonerguild
3/3/2010, 11:40 AM
I feel like some people with the if he goes to ut, usc, or nd they get bumped up but if they come here they get bumped down thing gets annoying. They fact of the matter is there are at least 4 sites that put out rankings. Considering these kids are 17-18 years old it is impossible to project how they will develop. If your class is in the top 10 consistently, and you have guys playing in one of the all-american games then you are fine. I don't need to beat texas in recruiting, I need to beat them in october.

Mack and Bob both do a great job evaluating talent. If the recruiting sites agree then great but if not who cares. I assure you both coaches don't care where their class is ranked, assuming they got everybody they wanted.

BoomerJ
3/3/2010, 01:47 PM
I feel like some people with the if he goes to ut, usc, or nd they get bumped up but if they come here they get bumped down thing gets annoying. They fact of the matter is there are at least 4 sites that put out rankings. Considering these kids are 17-18 years old it is impossible to project how they will develop. If your class is in the top 10 consistently, and you have guys playing in one of the all-american games then you are fine. I don't need to beat texas in recruiting, I need to beat them in october.

Mack and Bob both do a great job evaluating talent. If the recruiting sites agree then great but if not who cares. I assure you both coaches don't care where their class is ranked, assuming they got everybody they wanted.

Well said.

yankee
3/3/2010, 04:03 PM

and i don't get why people get worked up over recruiting and the rankings. is there statistical evidence that shows that when a player commits to us, he gets bumped down? if anything, i think the opposite would happen since we're a big time program. let notre dame get their "big time 5 star recruits". look where it's gotten them the last 10 years. :rolleyes:

MojoRisen
3/3/2010, 04:18 PM
I have seen on more than one occasion our guys going down almost right after we get the verbal. For what ever reason

Demarco
Mcfarland
Nobel

It goes on and on though- there are more examples.

Tigeman
3/3/2010, 06:56 PM
I thought I remembered Murray being a 4* all the way through.... even till the end? His position rank dropped some, but he never lost a star. Perhaps my memory is wrong though.... it's been known to happen! :P

Curly Bill
3/3/2010, 07:08 PM
Murray was a 5 star per Rivals up until one of, if not the last rankings.

Eielson
3/3/2010, 07:49 PM
Same for Mo Dampeer.

yankee
3/7/2010, 11:29 AM
i think rivals.com is out to get us sooner fans. that surely must be the case!

Jello Biafra
3/8/2010, 03:02 PM
that Buck position like Kindle where he puts his hand on the ground some.

is that a technical term?

in the two states i played football in, we called this a dend in a 3 point stance.

glad i could help.

HillbillyRay
3/13/2010, 09:39 AM
i think rival star ratings are ridiculous, usually you can look at a combination of the 3 big ratings for a player and get an idea but in the end the coaches who recruit them have a better idea than anyone, anthony wallace would be great to land and who cares if his star rating drops afterward

Herr Scholz
3/23/2010, 02:36 PM
Just an update on the UT LB recruiting, we've got that top notch kid from Georgia James Vaughters coming in this weekend for a visit. Don't know if that's a pipe dream or not (he's got 30 offers) but apparently he and his Dad are coming in on their own dime. Don't know what that says about our recruitment of Anthony Wallace if anything.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/03/coveted-linebacker-james-vaughers-to-vis.html

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 04:06 PM
Just an update on the UT LB recruiting, we've got that top notch kid from Georgia James Vaughters coming in this weekend for a visit. Don't know if that's a pipe dream or not (he's got 30 offers) but apparently he and his Dad are coming in on their own dime. Don't know what that says about our recruitment of Anthony Wallace if anything.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/03/coveted-linebacker-james-vaughers-to-vis.html

sooneringeorgia will be sad to hear this news.

Tigeman
3/23/2010, 10:25 PM
sooneringeorgia will be sad to hear this news.

I remember those threads....should we put him on suicide watch? :pop:

Herr Scholz
3/24/2010, 02:22 PM
Well, Vaughters isn't coming this weekend now. Read that he had a death in the family.

Herr Scholz
3/26/2010, 09:51 AM
Anthony Wallace said he was going to come to our Spring game with his family weekend after next. FYI. Said UT was still in the mix despite having 3 LBs in this class already.

CB Josh Turner from OKC is also planning to come to the Spring game. He said this week that his 2 top schools were UT and Miami.

DE Cedric Reed is coming in this weekend with his Dad to watch practice. Don't think any of them are in a rush to decide though.

Jello Biafra
3/30/2010, 03:35 PM
CB Josh Turner from OKC is also planning to come to the Spring game. He said this week that his 2 top schools were UT and Miami.

i dont know about his skills as a defender but apparently he can sing good like...

ENA > Josh Turner

Tigeman
3/30/2010, 05:36 PM
Anthony Wallace said he was going to come to our Spring game with his family weekend after next. FYI. Said UT was still in the mix despite having 3 LBs in this class already.

Wonder if he's paying lip service to you guys, as everything I hear coming from friends around that area says you guys are out. But who knows, with these top recruits... They are always technically open up until that LOI is signed. Wish his mom would get out of the deal and let him decide already. LOL

So depressing, but not unexpected.

Herr Scholz
3/30/2010, 07:09 PM
Wonder if he's paying lip service to you guys, as everything I hear coming from friends around that area says you guys are out. But who knows, with these top recruits... They are always technically open up until that LOI is signed. Wish his mom would get out of the deal and let him decide already. LOL
I remember feeling the same way about Jamarkus McFarland. ;)

So depressing, but not unexpected.
Some kids in Texas want to go out of state and some in OK do as well. That's just how it goes. Is it true the rumors I've heard about some OK high school coaches being ticked off at Stoops because he doesn't recruit his own state hard enough? Or is that just bluster?

Tigeman
3/30/2010, 10:59 PM
I was sooooo thinking McFarland when I was typing that.... figured you'd get a laugh outta that! LOL

Honestly I don't know about the Stoops deal! The funny thing is I have no "inside" guys on OK guys...lol. We've always recruited the top rated guys from here though, not our fault if they wanna go OOS... or if the Vols are sneaking them out from us! LOL. But honestly.... how much sway does a HS coach have on your decision if your a young kid? When I was in HS and being recruited for 2 diff sports in D1 (neither football), I could have cared less where my HS coaches said I should go. In fact I never asked them, and they never offered. They can make a call for you..... but if your this good, your gonna get noticed and get the offers anyways 9 times out of 10. Guess your coach could sabotage you with a college coach if he didn't want you going there. I guess it just depends on your family structure and how you were brought up.

But seriously....I can't think of a highly recruited guy that got out of here w/o an offer from us. I would bet though, these same coaches think these very kids are better than they are. They're prob. upset b/c OU identified their player as a D2 player or a lower level D1 player and the coach thought they were better. Have we missed b4?..... definately..... Wes Welker comes to mind. But we've also got a history of identifying underrated in-state guys, Bradford, White, Ronnell Lewis, as examples. I mean if we can go after a guy from Dewar, OK that plays 8 man football and only has an offer from the other in-state school and that's it.... we're doing a pretty good job of offering in-state guys.

Jello Biafra
3/31/2010, 10:26 AM
I remember feeling the same way about Jamarkus McFarland. ;)

Some kids in Texas want to go out of state and some in OK do as well. That's just how it goes. Is it true the rumors I've heard about some OK high school coaches being ticked off at Stoops because he doesn't recruit his own state hard enough? Or is that just bluster?

i know about one coach in particular that doesnt think stoops recruits HIS school hard enough. i think it comes down to this, if the coach isnt teaching his kids what is important to the next level athlete, that college coach is not going to be paying that much attention to your school/area. i know the mustang coaches do a good job preparing their players for college and union/jenks do a good job teaching their kids for the next level...get my drift?

im not calling anyone out but if you don't put the effort in to training your kids and they are boardline anyway, why would stoops bend over backwards trying to field a team full of "projects"

Herr Scholz
3/31/2010, 01:49 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. I was just curious.

PLaw
4/5/2010, 09:17 PM
I have seen on more than one occasion our guys going down almost right after we get the verbal. For what ever reason

Demarco
Mcfarland
Nobel

It goes on and on though- there are more examples.

stars, bars, and chips. It don't matter until they crack the two-deep and deliver the goods on a sunny fall afternoon. I'll take a bunch of "3-stars" like Bradford and McCoy over a bunch more stars that washout.

BOOMER