By Jake Trotter The Oklahoman Comments Comment on this article0
Published: February 22, 2010

Roy Finch
→School: Niceville, Fla.

→Position: RB

→Height: 5-8

→Weight: 170

→Position rankings: Rivals No. 4 (all-purpose back); ESPN No. 17; Scout No. 20

→Noteworthy: Totaled almost 2,200 all-purpose yards and 35 TDs while leading Niceville to the sate finals as a senior

At 5-foot-8, 170 pounds, Finch isn’t big.

But he sure knows how to deliver the big play.

Finch spoke with The Oklahoman about proving to scouts he could be more than a scat back, who he models his game after, and what Sooner coaches have told him about possibly playing next season.

→ Trotter: The knock on you from recruiting services coming into this year was that you weren’t big or physical enough to shoulder the rushing load. Do you feel like the way you played this past season, especially in the playoffs, eliminated a lot of that talk?

Finch: "My junior year, I had a pretty good year. I went to a lot of summer camps, and that’s where people said I was a scat back. That I didn’t have the physicality of other running backs around the country.

"So I wanted to work on getting stronger in my upper body. Become more physical when I run, but keep my speed. That work in the off-season really helped me out. I was able to get the tough yards, those two- and three-yard runs, instead of just bouncing everything to the outside and using my speed.

"You always want to prove people wrong who say you can’t do a certain thing. I knew in the back of my mind I needed to prove (myself). What I wanted to do was bring more versatility to my game. OU recruited me before my senior year. They saw my junior highlight film, saw I was good in open space. But they didn’t see that physicality. I wanted to show something different. Show that when I come in, I can get that tough yardage. That they can put me in on first down or third down, I’m not just a scat back.”

→I’ve heard people say you resemble Quentin Griffin or Kendall Hunter on your highlight films. Is there any player out there you believe you resemble or try to model your game after?

"I’ve seen Hunter play, saw him play couple a games last year. Quentin Griffin is one of the all-time greats. But one person I’ve been watching since I was in middle school was Reggie Bush. He’s my idol, my favorite player. When he was in college, he had that burst, the quickness, the versatility out of the backfield. But he also showed that power to get those tough yards. Even in the NFL, he can bust for 80, but has the strength to get 5 or 6, too. I look up to him a little bit.”

→Do you know who you’ll be rooming with?

"I don’t know for sure, but I think I might know. Justin McCay. We’ve been keeping up on Facebook, seeing how each other is doing.”

→Who out of this class have you developed friendships with?

"I would say Brennan Clay and Justin McCay. I met those two in person. McCay on an official visit. We had a great time together. He’s a funny guy to hang out with. Brennan is somebody I can see becoming brothers with.”

→Julian Wilson recently said of all the highlight films he’s watched of OU’s other signees, yours was the most impressive. How does that make you feel?

"It’s a blessing. I thank God for my abilities. He gives me the strength to do what I do. Some of my teammates have said that about me, about my highlight film. That’s great. But I have a lot to prove to the coaches and the fans.”

→What has OU told you about playing time next season?

"On my official visit, I talked to Coach (Cale) Gundy about that. Basically, he said they can’t make any promises or guarantee playing time. He just said I have a unique skill set that they really like, and can do a lot of things in their offense. He said if I come in and work and do the things I need to do, I could be right in the mix, even as a punt or kick returner. He said I have the chance to get on the field early.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/article/3441271#ixzz0gF3YG59Q

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2010, 01:31 AM
Related to Lonnie (sp?)?

IronHorseSooner
2/22/2010, 02:00 AM
I watched him in some games on the Sunshine Network in FLA, and I would say his game is more like Warrick Dunn than anybody else. Brennan Clay's game is more like Reggie Bush. Anyhow, they are going to be a lethal combo for the next few years.

MojoRisen
2/22/2010, 09:36 AM
Sometimes these undersized guys is exactly what we need, that kid from Kansas St. and the kid from Tulsa were awesome. Nobody recruited those guys, everyone recruited Finch... I bet he gets on the field

gaylordfan1
2/22/2010, 10:05 AM
Looking forward to seeing him run.

Crucifax Autumn
2/22/2010, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a sensible kid who wants to make a difference.

SteelClip49
2/22/2010, 10:31 AM
Not sure about him....he idolizes Reggie Bush.

swardboy
2/22/2010, 01:25 PM
Would anybody, who knows, say a comparison to Barry Sanders is appropriate?

oudavid1
2/22/2010, 01:27 PM
Looking forward to seeing him run.

Cant wait to see them all. Especially Millard.

texaspokieokie
2/22/2010, 07:43 PM
Sanders weighed only about 165 coming out of high school, & wasn't highly recruited.

gaylordfan1
2/23/2010, 10:47 PM

Yes Sir....agreed!

silverwheels
2/23/2010, 11:44 PM
Sanders weighed only about 165 coming out of high school, & wasn't highly recruited.

He would have been if more than one school had seen the tape on him.

SunnySooner
2/24/2010, 08:27 AM
Sounds like he's got a good head, I bet he sees some PT.

prrriiide
2/24/2010, 08:44 AM

Hence his matriculation at the Greater Stoolwater Tractor College.

oudavid1
2/24/2010, 09:01 AM

There will never be someone as good as Barry Sanders...stupid question

misplacedsooner
2/24/2010, 12:35 PM
and before barry came around who did they say that about??? there will always be someone better in time.

C&CDean
2/24/2010, 01:36 PM
There will never be someone as good as Barry Sanders...stupid question

You know you could have just quit with "as good as Barry Sanders..."

So, I have to say, stupid answer. Have a card.

sooneron
2/24/2010, 01:54 PM
and before barry came around who did they say that about??? there will always be someone better in time.

Joe Washington would be one.

goingoneight
2/24/2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah... I mean, Barry had a sick skillset, but to suggest no one will ever be as good ever again is ridiculous. What is he, Christ or something?

oudavid1
2/25/2010, 11:36 AM
You know you could have just quit with "as good as Barry Sanders..."

So, I have to say, stupid answer. Have a card.

Be sensative!

oudavid1
2/25/2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah... I mean, Barry had a sick skillset, but to suggest no one will ever be as good ever again is ridiculous. What is he, Christ or something?

They stopped a game to check his jersey for "slippery substances" because no one could tackle him. I guess if this huy was a Sooner you guys wouldnt jump all over me. There will never be another Babe Ruth or Barry Sanders. But if this guy or anyone comes out to be better than Barry, ill fly you all out to the winter home in Arizona to have a drink. All on me. Be Sensative!

goingoneight
2/25/2010, 12:29 PM
Nobody here said he'd be Barry Sanders, my friend. They asked if a comparison was fair... as in style. Q and DeMarco Murray are Barry-esque in terms of their style. Does that mean they'll run for 3,000 yards and go to the NFL HOF despite being on a crappy team their whole career? No.

And what's "sensative?"

KantoSooner
2/25/2010, 12:33 PM
And what's "sensative?"

A new 'personal lubricant'?

oudavid1
2/25/2010, 12:33 PM
Nobody here said he'd be Barry Sanders, my friend. They asked if a comparison was fair... as in style. Q and DeMarco Murray are Barry-esque in terms of their style. Does that mean they'll run for 3,000 yards and go to the NFL HOF despite being on a crappy team their whole career? No.

And what's "sensative?"

Sensitive is a stupid joke here at Sam Bradford High School, I wouldn’t really count on anyone here knowing about it. And I guess you make a valid point and I was quick to jump on you. I’ve watched too much tape on Barry and I feel biased. Comparisons don’t make much sense to me but I guess only time will tell. Sorry if I offended anyone by using the word stupid. I would hate to get carded again by Deen.

oudavid1
2/25/2010, 12:36 PM
A new 'personal lubricant'?

I’m famous for causing the biggest typo in school history. A little high school prank.