PDA

View Full Version : No. 22 Sooners complete four-game sweep

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2010, 12:01 AM
No. 22 Sooners Complete Four-Game Sweep

Bobby Shore lasts seven innings in start

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- The No. 22 Sooners completed an impressive sweep of San Diego State on Sunday with a 5-2 win in the finale at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

Junior Bobby Shore tossed seven innings and allowed one run en route to the victory as Oklahoma improved to 4-0 on the season. Shore held the Aztecs hitless for the first 4 2/3 innings and finished with five strikeouts, one walk and five hits allowed.

For the second straight game, OU jumped on top early with a 4-0 lead after the top of the fourth, and finished the game with 11 hits, including a season-high three home runs.

Junior Elliott Blair led the offensive output, which featured the fourth straight double-digit hit performance, with a career-high four hits and two RBIs. His two-run home run in the second inning was the first of three on the afternoon and was followed by Ricky Eisenberg's solo shot in the third. Freshman Drew Harrison also homered in the contest, delivering a solo bomb to the opposite field in the fourth frame.

"We used everybody this weekend and it was a team effort," said OU Head Coach Sunny Golloway. "We traveled an awful lot of young men and I can't remember an early-season road trip where I have used every player (on the trip). Again, I think that speaks volumes, about what we talked about at our banquet and on media day, about the depth of our club.

"Our coaches did a good job of recruiting talent, and that talent is starting to show through. We just have to continue to develop that talent, we have to stay humble and stay focused."

The Sooners received big contributions from some of those newcomers on Sunday as Shore recorded the win, and Eisenberg and Harrison homered. Overall, 16 newcomers saw time over the weekend and 33 players saw the field.

Harrison, who received his first start, set the table for Elliot Blair in the second inning with a double to right field. Blair promptly followed in the next at-bat with his fourth career home run, a two-run shot to left-center field.

Shore retired 12 straight and had a no-hitter rolling through the first 4 2/3 innings before Matt Parker doubled down the left field line in the bottom of the fifth with two outs. The next batter, Blair Moore preceded to break up the shutout with a single to the gap to left center.

"I thought Bobby did a good job today," added Golloway. "To record that type of an outing in his debut is impressive. And he received a lot of support around him from the offense and defense."

The Sooners return to action next weekend in Jacksonville, Fla. in the Jacksonville Tournament. OU will battle Valparaiso, Jacksonville and Richmond in the tournament before returning to Norman for the home opener on March 2 against UT-Arlington.

Collier11
2/22/2010, 12:12 AM
Maybe I read it wrong but wasnt SDSU ranked in a poll or two?

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2010, 12:33 AM
I found they were receiving votes in Collegiate Baseball and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Poll.

Now San Diego was ranked in all the polls I found, but not SDSU.

Collier11
2/22/2010, 12:42 AM
ah, I just looked at them wrong then