PDA

View Full Version : I kinda like this quote by Capel...

OU_Sooners75
2/21/2010, 08:59 PM
"Scholarships are not guaranteed for next year. There will be some decisions that will be made. So if guys aren’t motivated, then they’ll make that decision a little bit easier.” — Capel, when asked what it will take to keep his team motivated.

Read more: http://newsok.com/article/3441167#ixzz0gE425spi

Even though if he does do this, but does it too often, he could alienate our program from high school and summer league coaches.

I like the quote because it lets the players know that they need to be motivated and committed in playing for OU.

It could also be looked at as something similar to a fine in the professional ranks, since their scholarship is their payment for playing at any school.

Do you agree with this quote or no?

yankee
2/21/2010, 09:00 PM
Absolutely. It's a privilege to play for OU, not a right.

StoopTroup
2/21/2010, 09:07 PM
Yup. Priviledge.

Eielson
2/21/2010, 09:35 PM
I don't think we could kick Warren or Gallon off unless they broke the law or something along those lines. That would really hurt our chances with big time recruits.

As for the rest, I see good things in all of them, but that's only assuming they continue to improve. TMG is the only young player we have that would be considered good if he were a senior. The others won't improve if they don't want to work, and won't be helpful for us in the future, so get rid of them.

OU_Sooners75
2/21/2010, 09:39 PM
I don't think we could kick Warren or Gallon off unless they broke the law or something along those lines. That would really hurt our chances with big time recruits.

As for the rest, I see good things in all of them, but that's only assuming they continue to improve. TMG is the only young player we have that would be considered good if he were a senior. The others won't improve if they don't want to work, and won't be helpful for us in the future, so get rid of them.

Now this is my opinion...but if ANY player does not wish to be committed and motivated for playing at OU, then they should leave, go somewhere where they will be committed and motivated.

With that stated, if it is Gallon and Warren, then so be it. It would not have near the draw back as you might expect.

StoopTroup
2/21/2010, 09:39 PM
I'd let TMG go after reading what he said.

Eielson
2/21/2010, 09:46 PM
I'd let TMG go after reading what he said.

What did he say?

Eielson
2/21/2010, 09:54 PM
With that stated, if it is Gallon and Warren, then so be it. It would not have near the draw back as you might expect.

I would just be careful with them. I'd feel more comfortable if they violated rules/laws. While I think that a scholarship to OU is a privilege, I also strongly believe in loyalty. If you offer somebody a scholarship, you better plan on keeping it. Once in a while this kind of thing is okay, but it's best we not make it a habit.

StoopTroup
2/21/2010, 09:57 PM
What did he say?

Something about being an athlete who has to go to enough classes so he can play basketball.

Eielson
2/21/2010, 10:03 PM
Something about being an athlete who has to go to enough classes so he can play basketball.

As long as he does it, I'm fine. Blake said something similar when he was here. Probably not quite as bad, but similar.

starclassic tama
2/22/2010, 02:52 AM
at least he's honest, and didn't spout off some PC crap about how he just loves working on his degree...

Collier11
2/22/2010, 03:41 AM
Hey 75, pay tention :D

Post 66

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140005&page=4