PDA

View Full Version : Donald Stephenson

JLEW1818
2/21/2010, 03:36 PM
so does he have the most to prove this spring?

(Left Tackle)

I know the entire Oline has a bunch to prove. But does it start with him?

Curly Bill
2/21/2010, 03:42 PM
Sounds about right. Being solid at the left tackle position is always a good place to start.

KantoSooner
2/21/2010, 03:47 PM
Is it really that hard to get good run blocking AND good pass protection out of the same offensive line?

Curly Bill
2/21/2010, 03:48 PM
Is it really that hard to get good run blocking AND good pass protection out of the same offensive line?

Yes, pass blocking and run blocking are two completely different animals, an OL that is proficient at both is one to be cherished.

JLEW1818
2/21/2010, 03:48 PM
the Oline will be different, believe it or not.

T. Williams, Simmons, Eldridge all significant playing time, all gone.

TXBOOMER
2/21/2010, 06:14 PM
the Oline will be different, believe it or not.

T. Williams, Simmons, Eldridge all significant playing time, all gone.

We were below average with them. I don't expect the OLine to be much worse or much better without them.

VA Sooner
2/21/2010, 06:37 PM
Need Stephenson to have a break-out year... make up for the year sitting out.

Our year depends on the o-line making strides. I'm just hoping for no injuries for the year.

PLaw
2/21/2010, 07:58 PM
Need Stephenson to have a break-out year... make up for the year sitting out.

Our year depends on the o-line making strides. I'm just hoping for no injuries for the year.

I continue to be amazed at how a unit that historically is a strength or at least adequate has become such a major point of concern. Let's just hope last year was all due to injury -

BOOMER

rawlingsHOH
2/21/2010, 08:02 PM
line will be significantly better.

fool me once in 02, fool me twice in 06. not getting fooled in 2010

Scott D
2/21/2010, 08:10 PM

considering that you can't get lines to be that cohesive at the paycheck level, the answer is obviously yes.

pappy
2/21/2010, 09:25 PM
I gained a new appreciation for offensive lineman after taking a coaching football class in college...there is so much technical crap they have to do and they have to be precise in their movement mess it up by a couple inches and you get whipped.

JLEW1818
2/21/2010, 09:30 PM
lets be precise :D

icmwhOU72
2/21/2010, 09:38 PM
All i have heard about donald is that he has really improved and has gotten his act together. I heard a report on another sooner website that said that he looked so good in bowl game practices last december that the John Cullen Juco lineman got scared to come here because he didnt think he could beat out donald. I think we will be much improved this year on the line. I cant wait until spring ball starts!! 3 weeks!!

IronHorseSooner
2/22/2010, 02:11 AM
At 285, is he big enough to be an LT? I will bet that he will put on about 15 lbs. to get ready. I know it's more about technique at this level, but that seems a bit light for an LT.

Also, how good is this Alandoye kid going to be? I heard that he could beat out Brandon for the other tackle position.

Furthermore, I bet Bronson Irwin might not begin the season as a starter, but I bet he finishes the season as one.

Also, what's with moving Ikard to center? We already have Habern, Lepak, and Woods. Habern should be the starter, Lepak played well before his injury, and Woods came in early to compete, and is one of the five best at his position coming out of HS.

I bet we will see a lineup like this before the RRR:

LT: Stephenson
LG: Irwin
C: Habern
RG: Evans
RT: Alandoye

TXBOOMER
2/22/2010, 08:21 AM
I thought brandon made a he11 of a lot better LT than RT. He actually seemed to be figuring it out at the end of the season. I believe he will start at LT.

gaylordfan1
2/22/2010, 09:00 AM
I forget.... who played LT in the Stanford game? For some reason I thought it was Brandon.

MojoRisen
2/22/2010, 09:25 AM
Stephenson at 285 that is already big for him, I don't care how big he is as long as he can get after it! There is a big diference between a fat arse and an athlete... 285 is plenty big if he is a football player.. We need guys who can play ball, maybe that is why Trent Rataree was a starting tackle for us at the end of the year at 260...

gaylordfan1
2/22/2010, 09:36 AM
You mean Mensik?

MojoRisen
2/22/2010, 09:49 AM
Indeed I meant Mensik , sounds like Patton wants to keep him there... He apparently is getting bigger... Goes to show you though that the prototypical sized player is not always even going to be close to the best player.

I saw film on that kid Darryl Williams, he is about the same 270 ish, but is an absolute athlete and beast!

gaylordfan1
2/22/2010, 09:55 AM
Where did you read that Mensik was staying on the line? Last I heard he was making the move back to the TE position. I wouldn't be against it... he had a good game against Stanford. That was the best blocking game we had seen last year.

IronHorseSooner
2/22/2010, 10:05 AM
You're right, we need guys who can move. We have been getting beaten by speed rushers the past few years (Orakpo, Hughes, Dunlap). I agree that Brandon made a better LT than an RT. If he can do that, and Stephenson continues to progress, then that would shore up the tackles. I am interested in the Williams kid. He wasn't invited to any of the All-Star games, but was rated higher in the state of Texas than Thompson, Woods, or Shead. He had a number of high-end schools offering him. Like many have said, this might be the best overall haul of OL in one class that this staff has recruited.

MojoRisen
2/22/2010, 10:06 AM
It was just hearsay, Patton was discussing it on Soonerscoop signing day Presser. That he wants to keep him there and how much Mensik liked the challenge etc.

gaylordfan1
2/22/2010, 10:06 AM
I hope your right IronHorse!

Scott D
2/22/2010, 05:57 PM
with the way teams are going to speed rushers on the end, it almost makes sense to see a future trend of tackles in the 270-290 range and fewer of the 350 lb variety.