PDA

View Full Version : New Taunting Rule proposed - Broyles listen up!

Tigeman
2/20/2010, 10:26 PM
New Rule Proposals (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12915999/ncaa-taunting-before-crossing-goal-line-could-wipe-scores)

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA wants to get tough on taunting and make it more difficult for football players with concussions to try to tough it out.

Both proposals were announced Thursday by the Football Rules Committee and must now be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel.

If passed, players who draw flags for taunting gestures on their way to a touchdown would have the penalty assessed from the spot of the foul, taking away the score. Penalties that occur in the end zone would continue to be assessed on the extra-point attempt, 2-point conversion try or ensuing kickoff.

The change would take effect in 2011 and on the NCAA's website, a release said the proposal received near-unanimous support.

"Taunting and prolonged individual acts have no place in our game, and our officials have generally handled these rules well," said former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, the committee chair. "This is just another step in maintaining our game's image and reflecting the ideals of the NCAA overall."

The taunting rules seem to become a topic of debate among college football players, coaches and fans every season. Last season's big controversy stemmed from Georgia receiver A.J. Green receiving a 15-year personal foul penalty after he caught a go-ahead touchdown pass late in a game against LSU. The yardage from the penalty was assessed on the ensuing kickoff and helped LSU get into position to drive for the winning score.

The Southeastern Conference would later say there was no video evidence to support the flag on Green.

SPuL
2/20/2010, 10:32 PM
Before they do that, they need to worry about putting forth a clear definition of what exactly constitutes as taunting.

Because that whole Georgia incident they were talking about was such a stupid (and costly) penalty.

Then the whole thing with what Jake Locker did after scoring a TD.

Those just annoy me.

kelloggOUballa
2/20/2010, 11:00 PM
Stupid, stupid rule.

DarrellZero
2/20/2010, 11:14 PM
Gawd, what a stupid rule.

Get ready for a riot once this changes the outcome of a game.

gaylordfan1
2/20/2010, 11:17 PM
this is getting ridiculous... they are kids, let them have fun. I am one that thinks this is something that isn't that big of a deal.

Leroy Lizard
2/20/2010, 11:19 PM
I still like my essay idea. The taunter must write a long essay explaining why his taunting was unsportsmanlike. Make it long enough and the taunting will cease.

No essay... no play. The NFL could help by requiring completion of the essay before being considered for employment.

MiccoMacey
2/20/2010, 11:24 PM
I would say that the Locker and Greene flags are the anomoly...usually the refs get those calls correct. From that aspect, this rule is no different than any other rule...if Player X commits the infraction, they deserve to be flagged for it. If the refs make a mistake, it'd be no different than if they incorrectly called offensive pass interference that nullifies a TD.

Color me as one who sees that type of unsportsmanship as not being necessary. I welcome those flags. I hate to see kids act out like that. I don't mind exuberance and celebrating...I want kids to be excited they helped their team...but some of that crap is just waaaaay over the top.

Leroy Lizard
2/20/2010, 11:42 PM
Watch some of the old games from the early 1970s. Those players were able to keep it under control. Why can't the players of today do the same?

sooner59
2/21/2010, 02:08 AM
Well son of a b****. LL, for once I absolutely agree with you. I outright hate this new rule proposed. It takes the entire team on the field to make a score happen. It should not be taken away because some kid got excited on the way to the endzone. What is this.......Footloose? Old folks can't handle it? Ridiculous. But I do agree that it happens pretty often now...more than it used to. And its dumb and unneeded. You should not be that wowed that you score, you should be confident enough as an athlete to expect it, score, then hand the ball to the ref, like Barry Sanders did.

But if they continue this crap, just make them write a 10 page essay about why it was wrong. If students, in particular athletes, hate anything at that age, it is essays of 10 pages or more. I still hate essays, so I can just imagine what someone like Broyles would think of it. Hell, it wouldn't happen again. Sure, they would just have someone write it for them, but they would have to pay them or something.

Plus the NFL rule was icing on the cake. If you get arrogant and don't do it.....your *** doesn't enter the draft. Nice.

Leroy Lizard
2/21/2010, 03:26 AM
Sure, they would just have someone write it for them, but they would have to pay them or something.

That would have to be monitored. Plagiarizing on an NCAA-mandated essay would get the school in trouble.

BTW, the refs wouldn't even have to throw flags. The NCAA would simply hand out essay assignments based on game film and complaints. I can see the arguments now. "Broyles was really high-stepping it. 5 pager? Naaaah, I think the NCAA will assign him three pages. It wasn't flagrant"

Terrell Owens would have had to draft the Magna Carta.

If you really want to get nasty, make the essay public. Can you imagine one of Vince Young's essays?

MiccoMacey
2/21/2010, 10:13 AM
It takes the entire team on the field to make a score happen. It should not be taken away because some kid got excited on the way to the endzone. What is this.......Footloose? Old folks can't handle it?

ALL infractions are committed by some kid who broke a rule...this would be no different. Sometimes an offensive lineman holds and a TD is negated...are we to stop calling penalties on the OLine because it's unfair to the team that they did everything right and are being punished for the act of one guy? It's a team sport...the actions of one are accountable to all. Your whole "it's unfair to the rest of the kiddies who played by the rules" attitude wreaks more of the PC crowd than my "holding everyone accountable to the rules" stance.

As for the Old Folks comment...meh. I didn't taunt when I was a kid. I knew better. I knew it was showboating and looked damn silly.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/21/2010, 10:19 AM
Ummm while I don't like this rule, I think it's kind of unnecessary. How many times does taunting happen DURING the play? Rarely since Reggie Bush left for the NFL.. and he doesn't get the chance to high step/ do a somersault into the end zone very often anymore. Think about it a second. When was the last time you saw a taunting penalty during the play? That's a multi-talented athlete right there.

However, if DM was flagged for high stepping from the 10 to the EZ I would be pretty angry. Like really? High stepping is just a way of showing how fast/wide open/elusive they are.. they don't even have to hurry to the EZ. I think it's probably the slightest form of taunting. Why should it receive the harshest penalty?
Then you have to take into account the problem with the rule now. Judgement. Was he slowing down or showboating? Did he really need to somersault into the endzone? How close was the nearest defender?

I just don't see this rule really being applicable.

sooner59
2/21/2010, 02:48 PM
ALL infractions are committed by some kid who broke a rule...this would be no different. Sometimes an offensive lineman holds and a TD is negated...are we to stop calling penalties on the OLine because it's unfair to the team that they did everything right and are being punished for the act of one guy? It's a team sport...the actions of one are accountable to all. Your whole "it's unfair to the rest of the kiddies who played by the rules" attitude wreaks more of the PC crowd than my "holding everyone accountable to the rules" stance.

As for the Old Folks comment...meh. I didn't taunt when I was a kid. I knew better. I knew it was showboating and looked damn silly.

A lineman holding on a TD run actually holds a defender back that "possibly" could have made the tackle or have gotten to the QB if it were a pass. High-stepping at the 10 yardline doesn't give a player an advantage or hold any defender back. Its just stupid and unnecessary. Thats why I like LL's idea. You act like I supported showboating or something. I said I didn't. I just don't think you should take away TD's and change the outcome of a game when the player was going to score anyway. Just deter them from wanting to show off.

KantoSooner
2/21/2010, 03:35 PM
I don't see how any definition could be arrived at that would be enforceable in the real world.

Case: a rb scores, obediently flips the ball to the ref and runs full speed back to his bench, with his right fist pumping the air. Taunting? I think not.
Now, say he does the same thing but all the while has eye contact with the db he just burned. Taunting? maybe.
Who judges and how do they judge without turning the game into more of legalistic tangle than it already is?
I know that in my short and uncelebrated highschool career, the coaches would control such behavior with particularly brutal little 'drills' the next week in which the offender got to hold the ball while his own teammates got five yard windups to level him. I think a better way to control taunting is to not call fouls quite so strictly when, later in the game, selfsame db maybe levels the rb when he doesn't even have the ball. "Ooops, didn't see that one."

Leroy Lizard
2/21/2010, 06:45 PM
I know that in my short and uncelebrated highschool career, the coaches would control such behavior with particularly brutal little 'drills' the next week in which the offender got to hold the ball while his own teammates got five yard windups to level him. I think a better way to control taunting is to not call fouls quite so strictly when, later in the game, selfsame db maybe levels the rb when he doesn't even have the ball. "Ooops, didn't see that one."

Your post has given me the perfect solution. Tell me the truth: How long will taunting stick around if the following is implemented?

Dear Coach Stoops:

At the 1:40 mark of the first quarter in your Sep. 30 game against Boll Weevil State, a player identified as Ryan Broyles taunted a member of the opposing team while scoring a touchdown on a forward pass. As a result of Mr. Broyles' behavior, the NCAA is unsure whether the coaching staff at the University of Oklahoma understand the importance of good sportsmanship. Therefore, we will need a six-page essay on sportsmanship written and submitted by you before the next game. Failure to comply will require that you refrain from attending the next game.

Following the rules established by the NCAA, the essay will be need to be handwritten in your own handwriting and will need to be your own creation.

Warm regards,

National Collegiate Athletic Association

PS: If you or one of your coaching staff wants to insert an athletic sneaker six inches up Mr. Broyles' *** crack, we can assure you that the NCAA will look the other way. Just don't kill him.

rawlingsHOH
2/21/2010, 07:59 PM
Watch some of the old games from the early 1970s. Those players were able to keep it under control. Why can't the players of today do the same?

watch a game from the late 70s, they were just as "bad" as they are today

StoopTroup
2/21/2010, 08:18 PM
Every now and then a blind squirrel is gonna get a nut.

Leroy Lizard
2/21/2010, 09:02 PM

Two words: Muhammed Ali.

MamaMia
2/21/2010, 09:34 PM
No celebrating. No taunting. This sucks. Next, you wont be allowed to chest butt.

fadada1
2/21/2010, 11:08 PM
definitely a difference between taunting and celebrating a good play. the solutin is to have a bunch of 65 year old women referee the games. they flag for displays that would make their grandchildren "feel bad". everything else is OK.

oudavid1
2/22/2010, 12:58 AM
Ok, all the Miami teams of the 1980s are gone, you guys (NCAA) are late to the party as usual.

BASSooner
2/22/2010, 01:38 AM
Remember, this is just a PROPOSAL!

This will be unenforceable. You can't justify what is and what is not a taunt. When you score a TD or win a race, it's EXTREMELY hard to hold your emotions in. I'd think a fist pump is acceptable, as long as you arn't intimidating the other opponent (what offends the opponent? Depend's on who it is AND what they believe is offensive, and the 11 players on the opposing side are their own individual meaning that each person is different).

HOWEVER, not only that, each referee has their OWN INTERPRETATION of what a taunt is. One ref can see that taking a knee and looking at the ground is not a taunt but the other can (as ludicrous as that could be, that's the reality)

If they're going to take away a TD for taunting, they might as well take away 3 points for the coach bitching at the ref.

Sounds like the folks at the NCAA have been trippin on acid lately.

ouflak
2/22/2010, 08:12 AM
I thought this rule should have been implemented a long time ago.

I played a lot of football competitively. The most fun for me was playing. Behind that, though close, was winning. I never saw anything 'fun' in taunting or being taunted. Those who do see this as fun seem to have a different concept of competitive sports than I do. And I don't mind including players who are playing at a higher level (college and above) than I ever played at in that group of people with this very curious concept of fun. There has been a lot of excellent football played over the age of the sport by some excellent players and wonderful championship teams. This taunting during plays is something new and disconcerting to me and I highly question those who argue that this has any place in the game now, especially when it certainly didn't to have any place in the game for the bulk of its history (and without any rules to say so, just an understanding of sportsmanlike conduct).

freshchris05
2/22/2010, 08:55 AM
The NCAA keeping egos in check and feelings in tact... lol

freshchris05
2/22/2010, 08:57 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139894

Jello Biafra
2/22/2010, 10:12 AM
said former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, the committee chair

i still want to hear this choad smoker give us an explanantion for that raping we took in eugiina.....and why NOW all of the sudden hes worried about rules and whut nut...

Jello Biafra
2/22/2010, 10:16 AM
I thought this rule should have been implemented a long time ago.

I played a lot of football competitively. The most fun for me was playing. Behind that, though close, was winning. I never saw anything 'fun' in taunting or being taunted. Those who do see this as fun seem to have a different concept of competitive sports than I do. And I don't mind including players who are playing at a higher level (college and above) than I ever played at in that group of people with this very curious concept of fun. There has been a lot of excellent football played over the age of the sport by some excellent players and wonderful championship teams. This taunting during plays is something new and disconcerting to me and I highly question those who argue that this has any place in the game now, especially when it certainly didn't to have any place in the game for the bulk of its history (and without any rules to say so, just an understanding of sportsmanlike conduct).

i can see both sides for this argument but i lean closer to the "don't cry about it, get better"

reggie bush did it to the bears a few years back and got prison sexed the rest of the game. i havent seen him do it since.

if the team you are playing doesn't respect you or your abilities, knock a few helmets off and see what their attitude is then. i bet it changes.

sooneron
2/22/2010, 10:18 AM
Make'em punt from the 5, instead of kickoff. :D

Crucifax Autumn
2/22/2010, 10:24 AM
Convenient how they waited for Teblow to be finished with college before they consider this change.

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2010, 10:31 AM
if the team you are playing doesn't respect you or your abilities, knock a few helmets off and see what their attitude is then. i bet it changes.

Too bad that's against the rules and your team can get penalized for it.

Sooner04
2/22/2010, 10:51 AM
I disagree. I watched the '76 Orange Bowl on KSBI the other day and the lack of showboating made it feel like the game was played in a different galaxy. We blew up the Michigan QB over and over again and our guys would just get up and go back to the defensive huddle. Jimbo Elrod just destroyed their QB with a sack to end their last hope of a comeback and he did nothing but stand up and walk over to the sideline. They were celebrating over there, but nothing was happening on the field.

Thinking back to the old highlight tapes, I remember the first showboater for the Crimson and Cream being Billy Sims and his high stepping.

Jello Biafra
2/22/2010, 11:02 AM
Too bad that's against the rules and your team can get penalized for it.

WTF you talking about?

Sooner J
2/22/2010, 12:01 PM
In my opinion this is a dumb rule for a couple of reasons.
First, I’ve never played football at a colligate level but know lots of people who have and I hear stories all the time of players taunting and talking trash to other players. Now I know the refs hear all that going on and warn players but for the most part, that’s as far as it goes; why is there no “TD off the board” rule that? If a Receiver and Cornerback are talking trash the whole game and the refs letting it go, it’s all of sudden a penalty because one of them finally gets the better of the other on a play and celebrates on the way to scoring?

Second, would the rule just apply to the person scoring or can the TD be taken off the board if say a QB throws a slant that gets taken to the house and pumps his fist at another player even though he’s not the one actually scoring? “Taunting” is taunting, right?

Third (I’ll probably get some hating for this), for most players, I’m sure the chances of scoring a TD are pretty low; why not let them celebrate or taunt a little. If it’s TO style then yeah, tone it down, but a high-step, flip, spike, pose, fist-pump, etc. let it go. It’s a team game and I’m sure the players and coaches will police a player that is getting out of control.

Last, if they going to penalize someone for taunting, then why not penalize the fools that do a celebration after a 3 yard catch on a 3rd and 4 or the idiots that do first down celebrations.

SoCal
2/22/2010, 12:23 PM
I hate it when a guy makes a tackle or catches a pass... and after the play runs 10-15 yards away from all the players on the field to draw attention to himself. I wish they would just get up off the ground and get their *** back in the huddle.

goingoneight
2/22/2010, 01:50 PM
So what people hate is a player showing emotion?

Don't take the fun out of the game. The pre-2009 celebration rules were just fine. If players don't like being taunted...

A. Quit jawing at the line of scrimmage and let your body of work do the talking.
B. Get better if your body of work isn't enough.

There is NOTHING that motivates better than being humbled.

Moonwalks in the endzone, cell phones hidden in the goal post = too much.

Taking away high-stepping and harmless hand gestures like "first down" and "touchdown" is ghey.

SoonerLB
2/22/2010, 01:58 PM
It's pretty simple, score a TD and go to your sideline and celebrate with your team and coaches. No antics, because that is all it is is antics.

One of the best lines I heard from an announcer last season was after a taunting penalty when he said "they just don't get it". No matter how many times coaches try to pound it in their heads, there are still some guys that think they need to showboat and call attention to themselves. I didn't like it when it happened in the '70's, and I don't like it now. Football is a team sport, not a ME sport. If they insist on displaying their stupidity, then they can pay the price, but unfortunately, it is the team that pays the price on the field.

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2010, 03:05 PM
WTF you talking about?

Okay, let me spell it out more clearly.

Your idea that the opponent should rough up the taunter as payback will constitute either unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness. Both are penalties that can cost your team the game. Any solution that relies on a team breaking the rules of the game is d.u.m.b.

Now, if you are just saying "tackle him hard" then that is a pointless suggestion.

Jello Biafra
2/22/2010, 03:08 PM
Okay, let me spell it out more clearly.

Your idea that the opponent should rough up the taunter as payback will constitute either unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness. Both are penalties that can cost your team the game. Any solution that relies on a team breaking the rules of the game is d.u.m.b.

all joking aside, you really HAVENT ever played sports have you? i mean, i have been joking all this time but it's become fairly obvious over the last couple of months that there is a lot of truth to my statement.

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2010, 03:15 PM
Yes, because we all know that the real secret to winning is to forgo good tackling techniques to instead hit the opponent as hard as you can, all because of some silly payback issue.

You need your players to stay focused and perform how they were coached. Having them fixated on payback is a really bad thing to do in every sport (even boxing).

If you have played football and never learned the importance of relying on proper technique, then you are by definition "uncoachable."

Jello Biafra
2/22/2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, because we all know that the real secret to winning is to forgo good tackling techniques to instead hit the opponent as hard as you can, all because of some silly payback issue.

You need your players to stay focused and perform how they were coached. Having them fixated on payback is a really bad thing to do in every sport (even boxing).

If you have played football and never learned the importance of relying on proper technique, then you are by definition "uncoachable."

nice attempt at an argument...anyone who has played beyond peewee knows how to tackle hard and tackle correctly. they aren't completely independant of each other. you can have one AND the other at the same time.

you and nick really need to court, get married and have some children. would be the best thing for all invlolved. welcome to ignore numbnuts...

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2010, 03:27 PM
nice attempt at an argument...anyone who has played beyond peewee knows how to tackle hard and tackle correctly.

Oh, BFD. Like all taunting is going to disappear because (get this) the other team tackles hard.

By the way, you used the term "prison sexed," which sounds like you were advocating a lot more than just tackling harder.