PDA

View Full Version : A segment of OU's fan base deserves this season

NMSooner'80
2/18/2010, 10:32 AM
I'm talking about those who took winning for granted, NCAA bids for granted, re-invented facts (like how a "certain ex-coach" allegedly ran off any talent he had) on program history, etc.

This season reminds me a bit of Fran Fraschilla's last UNM team in 2001-02. Not only did that team painfully underachieve, some of Fran's die-hard supporters insisted up to the end that he was "this close" to taking UNM to the Sweet 16. I do care more about whether or not Capel can pull it together, than I did out here when Fran lost that program, basically, but I'm just trying to draw a parallel.

Heck, this OU season is making my senior year at OU ('79-80) seem like a walk in the park. That team went 15-12 and just cratered after two last-second, game-winning shots on the road were disallowed (one was a complete screw-job, too, at Nebraska). They were supposed to be better than that, but at least they weren't ranked like this year's team was, going into the season.

I almost think the UTEP fans, at the Sun Bowl, who wanted to talk basketball smack, are probably not so proud of that win anymore.

And one other sad thing about this season is that the Oklahoma media types who downplayed OU's success and history in hoops are going to be all too glad to re-anoint the Aggies as the big-time "basketball school" in Oklahoma. I haven't forgotten how the '01-02 Final Four team at OU was such an afterthought in the media there, well into the season, compared to the alleged "Final Four contender" at OSU.

In conclusion..... :mad: :confused:

King Crimson
2/18/2010, 10:52 AM
i asked Bo Overton about that shot at Nebraska one time...and he told me that it should have counted. that it was on the down-arc to the net when the buzzer sounded almost.

i can't speak to the OK media angle since i live out of state....no one like to lose. especially OU fans. but, doesn't mean we have to scorch the earth as fans.

Sooner4FCD
2/18/2010, 11:25 AM
Just shows how stupid pre-season rankings are. Not only are the completely guesses by the media, but they put undeserved expectations on teams.

NormanPride
2/18/2010, 11:34 AM
The upside about how crappy the coverage is when we're good is that the coverage is just as bad when we're awful. Nobody in the media seems to care either way.

NMSooner'80
2/18/2010, 07:19 PM
i asked Bo Overton about that shot at Nebraska one time...and he told me that it should have counted. that it was on the down-arc to the net when the buzzer sounded almost.

i can't speak to the OK media angle since i live out of state....no one like to lose. especially OU fans. but, doesn't mean we have to scorch the earth as fans.

I forget who told me - think it was Al Beal when we were students, who said the clock-keeper also started the clock on a ball-fake, not when Bo first touched it.

That was when Nebraska got so used to losing heart-breakers to us in football that they made the clock-keeper a hero, much in the mold of fill-in OSU heavyweight wrestler David Hille. He's the one who bit Dr. Death from the down position and wasn't disqualified until Doc retaliated with a cross-face and got Doc DQ'ed in the process to prevent an OSU wrestling loss to OU. Hille became a campus-wide hero at OSU for that illegal manuever.

ndpruitt03
2/18/2010, 07:47 PM
This season shows how stupid recruiting rankings are, how stupid preseason rankings are, and how good a coach's Tubbs and Sampson were.

OU_Sooners75
2/21/2010, 05:24 AM
This season shows how stupid recruiting rankings are, how stupid preseason rankings are, and how good a coach's Tubbs and Sampson were.

No it doesnt. It shows how young we are.

I agree on the preseason rankings.

NMSooner'80
2/23/2010, 02:35 PM
Just so I don't confuse anyone - I am not trying to turn anything into a Capel-vs.-Kelvin thing. I just like winning, which also explains why I enjoyed Kelvin's first year at OU far more than Billy's last year on the job in '93-94 (and I know that's heresy to some). And that's because the team improved by 8 games, regardless of the style of play (23 wins to 15).

Personally, I'd rather win 40-37 in basketball than lose 110-100. But I've heard too many anecdotes in the last 15 or so years where people have said they've heard "fans" say they'd rather "run-and-gun and lose, than be boring and win...." :mad:

SoonerDood
2/23/2010, 03:09 PM
you are right on, sir.

ndpruitt03
2/23/2010, 03:13 PM
And Capel's teams have never quite been run and gun in this 4 years. They've been closer to what Kelvin did except not as good on defense. I think Jeff wants the team to defend better but he's not the guy Kelvin and even Billy were. Both those guys were tougher no the teams.

oumartin
2/23/2010, 05:25 PM
Capel can coach! He is young and this team is young. Go run down the tar heels if you wanna run someone down. Capel is still learning his own coaching style. I'll take him over the rule breaker Calvin anyday.

heck, if Capel needs help coaching there is surely a high school coach somewhere on this board that knows everything

badger
2/23/2010, 06:20 PM
I think every fanbase deserves a season like these every so often just so that we never grow tired of winning too much or start to take for granted exactly how great we were recently.

Perhaps "deserve" isn't the right word - fanbases NEED somewhat crappy seasons every so often so that we grow to appreciate our success.

Crimsontothecore
2/24/2010, 09:18 AM
Capel can coach! He is young and this team is young. Go run down the tar heels if you wanna run someone down. Capel is still learning his own coaching style. I'll take him over the rule breaker Calvin anyday.

heck, if Capel needs help coaching there is surely a high school coach somewhere on this board that knows everything

And probably one who could match Capels 13-14 accomplishment!

Sooner04
2/24/2010, 09:50 AM
It has been refreshing not having to read of Capel's imminent departure to a better BBall school from oumartin every few days.

Crimsontothecore
2/24/2010, 10:31 AM
It has been refreshing not having to read of Capel's imminent departure to a better BBall school from oumartin every few days.

Not so fast my friend. Other schools will still be knocking on his door once they realize this season is ALL the players fault!

badger
2/24/2010, 01:47 PM

I must admit, I was worried this past offseason. Now... it's kinda like "Why was I ever worried to begin with?!"

SoonerMom2
2/24/2010, 06:57 PM
No it doesnt. It shows how young we are.

I agree on the preseason rankings.

I agree with you! All you have to do is look at North Carolina is not going to make the tournament to see it happens everywhere when you are rebuilding.