PDA

View Full Version : A disgrace to OU basketball

Crimsontothecore
2/17/2010, 11:37 PM
Maybe I'm saying this out of frustration or maybe it's because I've just watched this team lose...once again, to a bad team. All I know is that I'm watching an OU team with more talent on the floor than any team of the last 20 years and we just plain SUCK!!
I have been in awe of Jeff Capels recruiting ability but right now I am in awe of how this much talent can play so poorly. I hate to say this because I have been very bitter towards Kelvin Sampson since he left, but he did way more with much less talent. For 12 years he had teams that over achieved. The one constant on his teams was a defensive effort that was smothering to opponents. This team has no defensive presence at all. This team doesn't play as a team. This team is obviously in disarray.
These McDonalds All Americans make me long for the good old days of lesser recruited talent. Tiny Gallon? I'll take Renzi Stone and his inside presence any day. Give me the Nate Erdman's, the Ernie Abercrombie's, the Quannas White's, the Terrell Everett's, the Nate Carter's, the Ebi Ere's.
At least all of these guys took their teams to the NCAA's. Or maybe, just maybe, it was COACHING that produced winning records and post season play with average talent.
How can a coach making 2 million bucks a year just sit there with his hand on his chin and still cash his check? Oh yeah, I forgot, It's all the players fault!

yankee
2/17/2010, 11:43 PM
wait.

we suck?

SteelClip49
2/18/2010, 01:13 AM
It's not Capel's fault for players being lackluster, getting in trouble with the law, etc. Capel is an excellent coach.

Collier11
2/18/2010, 01:24 AM
Capel has never had an issue with getting rid of talented players, I think maybe some of these guys just arent as good as he though when he recruited them or Capel cant figure them out

I still believe Capel is a good coach but at this point in the season with the so-called talent that we have, he should have them playing better.

jdsooner
2/18/2010, 01:42 AM
This season is indeed a disgrace. The only game I saw live was against UTEP and that was enough for me. In a word, we were humiliated that night. I do not think we will win again and I wonder if Capel will be able to turn this around next year. I like him and want him to do well, but another season like this one and we may be looking for another coach.

bri
2/18/2010, 03:34 AM
Then feel free to take your act to the Football board. This team will win again, and we'll get better. This year's an anomaly, but I shouldn't be surprised that OU fans are overreacting.

ndpruitt03
2/18/2010, 08:25 AM
I'm not so sure we have that much talent. We don't have anyone that can play inside right now and our guards can't defend that well or score that much. Where is this talent we are supposed to be in awe of? If there was really all this talent they would show up against teams like Nebraska and Colorado no matter where those games are played.

bornnbredou
2/18/2010, 09:36 AM
It's not Capel's fault for players being lackluster, getting in trouble with the law, etc. Capel is an excellent coach.

dont you think that the fact that the guys play lackluster, get in trouble etc is the coaches fault? it certainly is.

capel is a world class recruiter no doubt, but he has no idea how to handle a team full of egos and thats what happens when you recruit the best. the most basic aspect of coaching is having control of your team and demanding their respect and cooperation and he obviously cant even do that so how can we expect to actually win a game with coaching? ive seen enough to know that if he doesnt get ahold of this team in the next year he needs to be fired plain and simple.

soonervegas
2/18/2010, 10:04 AM
To Nick Zepp's point.....I think the "talent" we think we have just isn't that good right now.

The main concern I have is that I don't see a lot of fight in them to be significantly better next year. Which they can be if they are willing to work....

fwsooner22
2/18/2010, 10:06 AM
Good Grief.....That is a freshman point guard and a freshman Post. They have tremendous upsiside and they are NOT NBA reayd. They will be here for a year or two more. Give it that long. Yes, its hard to watch but its a work in progress. At least we aren't **. No that is embarrassing.

badger
2/18/2010, 10:17 AM
Is losing disgraceful, or is stealing makeup and dillards shirts disgraceful?

Seriously. While not every player is living up to expectations I know there are players out there working hard and doing their best, even if our record doesn't show it. I don't feel disgraced by any of them, except for the Dillards thieves this season.

MojoRisen
2/18/2010, 10:23 AM
Capel has to make the best of a bad situation. He will have to figure out Chemistry... This year is a dissapointment and the team has a bad attitude. Expectations were high - question is weather these guys will work in the off season or not... If Capel doesn't improve this year and into next year, especially next year - he maybe in a little trouble. Loosing control of the team is not good.

King Crimson
2/18/2010, 10:30 AM
this year is an unmitigated disappointment. but, I think maybe some of our experts are overstating their discontent.

a little faith in the program. expectations were ridiculously high for a team with so little experience. i thought we'd be a 6-9 type seed but still....no reason to jump off a bridge or turn into the hater/"coach sucks" fan.

we win at ATM, and who knows?

Sooner04
2/18/2010, 10:32 AM
I'll take Renzi Stone and his inside presence any day. Give me the Nate Erdman's, the Ernie Abercrombie's, the Quannas White's, the Terrell Everett's, the Nate Carter's, the Ebi Ere's.
Terrell Everett smoked more weed than thought humanly possible. That guy destroyed Kelvin's last team. Well, he and Gray did.

Nate Carter? C'mon.

King Crimson
2/18/2010, 10:48 AM
Terrell Everett smoked more weed than thought humanly possible. That guy destroyed Kelvin's last team. Well, he and Gray did.

Nate Carter? C'mon.

great team chemistry in that Everett/Gray teams like when Bookout was ready to quit the team before the West Virginia game in the All-College.

having seen that game live, might have been a good move.

Crimsontothecore
2/18/2010, 11:12 AM
It floors me to hear people making excuses for Capel. The players being "lackluster" IS indeed the coaches fault. If Capel misjudged these guys talent then that IS his fault.
Jeff Capel gets paid a tremendous amount of money to recruit talented players worthy of scholarships, to coach those players so that they play with competence, and to motivate his players on game day. From what I see on the court he has failed miserably at all three. Seriously people, Capel could stay home and this team wouldn't perform any worse.
This team faces the real possibility of finishing 13-17 (6-10)
If they somehow win their two remaining home games (best scenario IMO) they would finish 15-15 (6-10)

Yes, this is disgraceful!

Crimsontothecore
2/18/2010, 11:13 AM
It floors me to hear people making excuses for Capel. The players being "lackluster" IS indeed the coaches fault. If Capel misjudged these guys talent then that IS his fault.
Jeff Capel gets paid a tremendous amount of money to recruit talented players worthy of scholarships, to coach those players so that they play with competence, and to motivate his players on game day. From what I see on the court he has failed miserably at all three. Seriously people, Capel could stay home and this team wouldn't perform any worse.
This team faces the real possibility of finishing 13-17 (6-10)
If they somehow win their two remaining home games (best scenario IMO) they would finish 15-15 (6-10)

Yes, this is disgraceful!

Socrefbek
2/18/2010, 11:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=153 :pop:

Socrefbek
2/18/2010, 11:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=153 :pop:

NormanPride
2/18/2010, 11:31 AM
I have always thought Roy Williams was a mediocre coach. No amount of NBA talent championship teams will convince me otherwise.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/18/2010, 11:40 AM
No doubt Capel gets some blame for what's gone on this year, but he's earned a hickey based on his accomplishments to date. I think he realizes now he needs to recruit character and not just look at the talent. Tiny Gallon has a lot of talent but has been a complete waste so far.

Capel's a young coach. He's learning. He learned a lesson this year and he'll be better for it and OUr team will be better for it. He's still 4-2 in the NCAA tourney and this is the first year he hasn't at least met my expectations.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/18/2010, 11:50 AM
great team chemistry in that Everett/Gray teams like when Bookout was ready to quit the team before the West Virginia game in the All-College.

having seen that game live, might have been a good move.

He meant that Everett was a great team chemist.;)

I continue to subscribe to the theory that things aren't always as good as they seem when they are good or as bad when they seem when they are bad.

There is some good talent on the team certainly. I happen to think our most consistant players Davis, Wright and Crocker are not the most talented. They play smart and make less mistakes. WW when healthy and playing close to his potential is about as good as anyone in the country. TMG is a big time player that a team can be built around.

When those 5 players are/were on the court and healthy during those stretches of the game we can play with about anyone. Wright isn't going to score much inside but he doesn't hurt us either.

Gallon has talent in spades. He has as much if not more talent than Bobby Jo Evans had prior to his knee injury. Just about every school in the country wanted him. It was not a mistake to sign him. Who wouldn't want to sign him? Capel can do just so much. It is up to Tiny Gallon to motivate himself to be an elite player. He has all the tools to be one of the 2-3 best big men in the country the next 2-3 years. IF,IF,IF he does that OU is a very good team next year. We have recruits coming but their really is no Plan B, maybe a Plan C. Gallon needs to step up...period.

Pledger and Fitzgerald are freshman, they have talent (apparently for fashion as well as hoops) but they are players need to pay their dues and grow into a bigger role. IF,IF,IF they keep their noses clean and work on their games we are looking at 2 real good players in a year or two to go with TMG and Tiny.

Willis is slightly better than a warm body at this point so is the rest of the bench. We aren't deep. We are going to need 2-3 guys to contribute nect year.

This year sucks...we all pretty much agree. I think we if the players buy in we can be right back in the top 25 mix next year. If we have to clean house and start again it is going to take longer.

In the meantime remember..unless you are Kansas, Duke, UNC,Kentucky or UCLA just making the tourney isn't the easiest of feats. Maybe serve as a reminder to appreciate seasons like last year when we were a legit contender.

badger
2/18/2010, 12:26 PM
This board in double-post mode or something?

Yes, Geoff K-Pro is accountable for the players he recruits and the results on the field, barring unforeseen circumstances (like all those injuries in football season).

However, I will not go into meltdown mode simply because we're losing more than we did last year or the year before. Kelvin Sampson breaking NCAA rules was a disgrace. Brett Romar and DJ Quinn taking cash for not working was a disgrace. Jabari Brown smoking so much that he got kicked off the team come tourney time was a disgrace. Jenna Plumley, Pledger and Fitzgerald shoplifting was a disgrace.

Losing a few games? Pales in comparison.

the_ouskull
2/18/2010, 12:51 PM

Nate Carter? C'mon.

Nate was grossly misused while he was at OU. He's a great post scorer, but, because of his size, etc.. he was always slotted as a wing. He's no wing. He's still playing professionally, too. He's in the middle of his French season right now, 20 games in, putting up about 15 and 5, on 55% shooting from the field and 82% from the line.

And he's just as good off the court, having dating Krista Sanchez on and off for a while... Nice...

the_ouskull

ndpruitt03
2/18/2010, 12:59 PM
Good Grief.....That is a freshman point guard and a freshman Post. They have tremendous upsiside and they are NOT NBA reayd. They will be here for a year or two more. Give it that long. Yes, its hard to watch but its a work in progress. At least we aren't **. No that is embarrassing.
Okay yes he's a freshman but all I wanted to see was improvement as the year went on. If you looked at Tiny early in the season he actually look good even in some of the games where we didn't play well as a team. Against Gonzaga for example he showed promise. But once conference game began outside of maybe one or two games he didn't show up. If he averaged something like 12 points 10 boards in conference I would be pleased with his play. Instead I think his average in conference play is currently something like 6 points and 7 boards. And he's missed starts of games and a couple full games because of suspensions. Going into conference play I think he averaged something like 15 points and 12 boards. TMG actually did the opposite of this he actually did get better as the year went on. Same with Fitzgerald in someways. I'm not sure Pledger has the speed or athletic ability to play this type of style. He would be better in a slower game Kelvin played.

ndpruitt03
2/18/2010, 01:09 PM
Nate was grossly misused while he was at OU. He's a great post scorer, but, because of his size, etc.. he was always slotted as a wing. He's no wing. He's still playing professionally, too. He's in the middle of his French season right now, 20 games in, putting up about 15 and 5, on 55% shooting from the field and 82% from the line.

And he's just as good off the court, having dating Krista Sanchez on and off for a while... Nice...

the_ouskull
Once he started playing the post in conference play his senior season he started lighting it up and he had a nice jumper that made him tougher to defend. I still believe we make the NIT if the plays that role all year that year and possibly make the NCAA.

SpiderInMyPeanuts
2/18/2010, 01:35 PM
Pleger has talent? How can you really say that? He is shooting 47 of 128, which is 36%. How do we know he has talent? We assume he can play and that about all.

I put alot of this on Capel. It doesnt take "talent" to get your lazy *** back on defense. But in his defense I really dont think you can shame this team. No form of discipline seems to work.

Another thing, Is Ray Willis the best kid ever or something? Or maybe he is phenomenal in practice. How does he ever see playing time. He played the right number of minutes last night. ZERO.

goingoneight
2/18/2010, 01:42 PM
I swear... Sooner fans have no idea what rebuilding is. It's like it should just NOT happen here, though it does EVERYWHERE ELSE.

Sooner04
2/18/2010, 03:26 PM
Once he started playing the post in conference play his senior season he started lighting it up and he had a nice jumper that made him tougher to defend. I still believe we make the NIT if the plays that role all year that year and possibly make the NCAA.
Nick, we lost six of our last seven after he began "lighting" it up. The closing fold had more to do with us missing postseason play than Carter being misused at the beginning of the season.

badger
2/18/2010, 04:50 PM
I swear... Sooner fans have no idea what rebuilding is. It's like it should just NOT happen here, though it does EVERYWHERE ELSE.
http://www.heroesonline.com/images/blog/creators/homestar_seriously.jpg

King Crimson
2/18/2010, 04:54 PM
once people started guarding Carter hard on the perimeter, we tanked. whatever "misuse" of Carter is on the hands of Capel, the improvement of Longar Longar cancels out.

starrca23
2/18/2010, 07:54 PM
Hey morons...there are about ten of these threads now. Next time you get pissed because we lose, look one of them up. Your little girl tantrums aren't anymore important than anyone else's and sure as hell don't need their own thread. Arguing basketball with some of you is like arguing the reality of Santa Claus with my two year old. You have just enough knowledge to speak like you know something, but you don't. Time to be quiet.

ndpruitt03
2/18/2010, 08:28 PM
So you just want to bury your head in the sand. If you don't like how much we suck read something else.

yankee
2/18/2010, 08:36 PM
So you just want to bury your head in the sand. If you don't like how much we suck read something else.

we get it. we suck. that's been obvious for quite some time now. more threads about it isn't going to change anyone's mind. count this season as a "lost season", and move on. we're not the only ****ing team having problems...hopefully this season makes us stronger through the long run. so grit your teeth, look for any positives, and try to tone down the bitching...at least till our next game. :rolleyes:

bri
2/18/2010, 09:11 PM
You don't get it. NICK WAS RIGHT, CONTINUES TO BE RIGHT, AND THE DEMON MONKEYS IN HIS BRAIN WILL NOT REST UNTIL YOU ALL KNOW THAT HE WAS RIGHT. NICK WINS THE INTERNET, GODDAMMIT!

ndpruitt03
2/18/2010, 09:24 PM
You don't get it. NICK WAS RIGHT, CONTINUES TO BE RIGHT, AND THE DEMON MONKEYS IN HIS BRAIN WILL NOT REST UNTIL YOU ALL KNOW THAT HE WAS RIGHT. NICK WINS THE INTERNET, GODDAMMIT!

There's no difference between right and wrong with me.

starrca23
2/18/2010, 10:59 PM
There's no difference between right and wrong with me.
Wow...a good life philosophy...

jdsooner
2/19/2010, 01:15 AM
We lost to San Diego, which has now lost 10 in a row and is 9-18.
Nebraska has won 1 conference game and it was against us, by 17.
Texas Tech has won conference road win. They beat OU.
OU has lost 3 in a row and 6 out of the last 8.
The 5 remaining games are against ranked teams and it is doubtful that OU will win another game. That would mean we would finish 13-18 and 4-12 in conference.

I like Capel, but this is pretty damn bad.

the_ouskull
2/19/2010, 02:12 AM
once people started guarding Carter hard on the perimeter, we tanked. whatever "misuse" of Carter is on the hands of Capel, the improvement of Longar Longar cancels out.

Except that the "improvement" of Longar Longar was a complete and total myth. His minutes increased, and, with those increased minutes, came increased stats. His per-minute stats weren't much better by the end of the his senior year than they were after his freshman one. He improved very little in areas like ball-handling (turnovers) and rebounding.

the_ouskull

Collier11
2/19/2010, 02:19 AM
and, by the time he graduated Longar Longar still couldnt make a layup

sitzpinkler
2/19/2010, 06:20 AM
I think Capel is definitely a good coach. This season is bizarre for us and sucks. I don't want to argue. Boomer Sooner!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/19/2010, 10:30 AM
Badger summed it up pretty well when she said it isn't the wins or lack of that are disgraceful. Sure the season sucks this year but we can bounce back from that. Disgraceful is when you have to read on the ticker over and over again watching ESPN how 2 players were arrested for shoplifting. Or if someone wants to audition for a role in the next Cheech and Chong movie.

The same attittude that leads to NOT having players in trouble for this or that will lead to more wins.

starrca23
2/19/2010, 10:56 AM
I disagree. No one looks down on Austin Box and Ryan Broyles...what's the difference? No one is asking the football team for "an idedntity" no one is claiming Bob Stoops has lost it. And if they do we hammer them. The only differnce is that Bob won a bowl game and had a good recuriting class.

ndpruitt03
2/19/2010, 12:39 PM
And Bob Stoops had 80 guys on his roster hurt.

badger
2/19/2010, 12:49 PM
Is this worth arguing about anymore? Ehhhh... if I had to say anything else, it would be that Broyles' most recent embarrassment was the touchdown-negating penalty for excessive celebrating when OU nearly lost to Kansas State by blowing a big lead. I was just furious after that penalty, causing OU to be at "First and Forever" as Stoops put it.

As for Box, this was his second offense doing the exact same d@mn thing.

I've finished with this thread. How soon till someone starts another :(

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/19/2010, 03:56 PM
Has any of the regulars noticed that these threads only occur when we suck in basketball? I mean seriously when we were good, no one gave a ****, as evidenced by energy and attendance of Lloyd Noble during those times. Maybe if the fans showed a little more energy, they might start playing better defense. That is another damn thing, When Sampson was here, all I heard was bitching about 42-40 games, now you bitch because we don't play defense.

ndpruitt03
2/19/2010, 04:00 PM
Has any of the regulars noticed that these threads only occur when we suck in basketball? I mean seriously when we were good, no one gave a ****, as evidenced by energy and attendance of Lloyd Noble during those times. Maybe if the fans showed a little more energy, they might start playing better defense. That is another damn thing, When Sampson was here, all I heard was bitching about 42-40 games, now you bitch because we don't play defense.
While I agree that people bitch when we are bad. People bitched about Sampson when we were good. So that's contradictory. And at our best under Sampson we scored around 75-80 a game people still bitched.

the_ouskull
2/19/2010, 08:40 PM
I'm going to stay out of this recent round of Sampson-related arguments, as I've already said my peace about him. I just think that we're seeing his value a bit more now.

the_ouskull

Collier11
2/19/2010, 08:41 PM
I was never a fan of Kelvin but I can admit he was a really really good coach, not a great coach but a really good coach. Its just too bad he couldnt follow the rules

bri
2/20/2010, 12:40 AM
I'm going to stay out of this recent round of Sampson-related arguments, as I've already said my peace about him. I just think that we're seeing his value a bit more now.

What value? I'd rather miss the tourney 'cause we have an off year than miss it because we're not allowed to go.

oumartin
2/20/2010, 05:32 PM

the_ouskull

yeah, well you are obviously a genius. You above better than thou attitude is pathetic. Weren't you telling everyone what a crappy coach Vinny DelNegro is? I do believe they are a playoff team as we speak.

Go back to being an assistant high school basketball coach and drop the holier than though crap. Doesn't being an assistant high school basketball coach consist of charting shots?

SoonerMom2
2/20/2010, 06:19 PM
If Sampson were still here, we most likely would not have gotten Blake Griffin and the program would have been on probation. Best thing that happened to us was Sampson going to Indiana and not being our problem.

Capel is a good coach but we lost the #1 player in the country to the NBA and think a lot of people missed that it was more then Blake -- it was also Taylor and some others who made a difference.

Would rather have a bad season and Capel who plays by the rules then have wins taken away because Sampson broke the rules along with assistant coaches. I thought his teams were boring to watch and getting sick of tired of reading how great they were as we kept getting beat in the first round to teams we should not have lost. So many players left the team -- if he was such a great coach they wouldn't have left.

What do you think people are saying at North Carolina this year with their team?

Instead of griping all the time, it might be nice to be supportive of a team going through a hard season. The two guys that shoplifted should be running up and down the stadium stairs for what they did -- it was dumb but college kids do dumb things for dumb reasons.

Some people expect perfection every year and when we don't get it everyone is no good. Disgusting how fast some of you forget these are young kids with not a lot of senior leadership and just lost a ton of talent. So they came to OU with a "I" attitude -- not unusual. We have had players step up like Cade Davis this year and yet don't hear much about him.

This idea of jumping on and off the bandwagon depending on winning or losing doesn't make a true fan. I saw the team beat OSU at home when they could have tanked going into overtime but didn't. That same team beat Texas and then Warren got mono, tiny was questionable because of agent in high school, and two guys shoplifted. How is that Capel's fault?

This team just like our football team is going to learn a lot from this year and with the right people will be much better next year. As for you bandwagon people who jumped off, suggest you stay off when we start winning. We sat through freezing temps to watch OU get clobbered by A&M during Blake but we stayed because that's what you do when you are fans. We are going to the Baylor game and win or lose we will leave when the game is over.

the_ouskull
2/20/2010, 07:25 PM
yeah, well you are obviously a genius. You above better than thou attitude is pathetic. Weren't you telling everyone what a crappy coach Vinny DelNegro is? I do believe they are a playoff team as we speak.

Go back to being an assistant high school basketball coach and drop the holier than though crap. Doesn't being an assistant high school basketball coach consist of charting shots?

In case you couldn't tell from reading the original comment, my response is not going to be safe for work - or anybody with less than an IQ of 70, meaning oumartin may actually have to have someone read it to him...

Normally, your *ss would be dead as friend chicken right now, but you've managed to catch me in a transitional period, and I don't want to kill you, I want to help you.

So please, pay attention:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sichuevos/MFinWitness.jpg

First of all, if you think you're enough of a man to address me that way, then you need to try to keep yourself from looking like a f*cking ret*rd while you do so, so let's start there...

"You above better than thou attitude..."
"..drop the holier than though crap."

Idiot. That's the point where I turned off trying to read anything that you said, because it was obviously written by someone with the gentle touch... and intellect, of a gorilla.

Then again, reading posts like this one, spoken in regards to Fox News, home of "personalities" such as Glenn Beck, Gretchen Carlson, Sean Hannity, Megyn Kelly, and papa bear himself, Bill O'Reilly...

...one even fair and balanced network who doesn't play toward one side or the other.

...could have also clued me in, if I cared to discuss politics with a group of people who will never participate in them, yet feel they know everything about them.

[Pretend I'm staring at you while I let that last bit sink in...]

...MUCH in the same way that you are doing on this board; pretending to know something about basketball coaching, or pretending to know something about politics... or in your case, even simple writing; basic English.

At least you're educated like a conservative. It is hard to drive a truck with a gun rack?

Let's search for examples, shall we?

Here's a shining example of your eloquence, and understanding of the nuances that go into coaching now... When given the opportunity to express what you felt about OU's special teams, you responded:

sucked

I looked around for a bit, but couldn't find anywhere where you elaborated on your opinion; instead settling for just stating it, probably repeatedly, until whoever was in the room paid attention to you.

And, if you want to bring up old ****, re: Vinny DelNegro, who I still don't think is a good coach, by the way, let's look at this "Real Gem of Genius," from the resident c*m towel...

my guess being a kicker they would just go ahead and cut him

I'm going to go out on a limb, as you rarely do - and by "rarely" I mean, "often, and without facts, logic, or evidence of any kind" - and say that the Saints are probably fairly glad that they kept Hartley. So, that's Skull - 2, Ret*rd - 0.

http://www.3click.tv/mp4//Its%20Always%20Sunny%20in%20Philadelphia/season3/metadata/337194.jpg

Now crawl your *ss back in your hole for a couple MORE months before I start strolling around behind you with napalm instead of mildly-annoyedpalm. If you have something to say to me, say it like an intelligent man, not some half-cocked redneck inbred with no experience in the subject matter. It'll help your case.

I mean, it's still going to be a fairly impotent case, given the source material (i.e. - you) but I'm sure that it won't be the first time you've tried to shoot pool with a rope, sir. Good day to you...

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
2/20/2010, 07:42 PM
zoloft?

kc sooner
2/20/2010, 09:45 PM
In case you couldn't tell from reading the original comment, my response is not going to be safe for work - or anybody with less than an IQ of 70, meaning oumartin may actually have to have someone read it to him...

Normally, your *ss would be dead as friend chicken right now, but you've managed to catch me in a transitional period, and I don't want to kill you, I want to help you.

So please, pay attention:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sichuevos/MFinWitness.jpg

First of all, if you think you're enough of a man to address me that way, then you need to try to keep yourself from looking like a f*cking ret*rd while you do so, so let's start there...

"You above better than thou attitude..."
"..drop the holier than though crap."

Idiot. That's the point where I turned off trying to read anything that you said, because it was obviously written by someone with the gentle touch... and intellect, of a gorilla.

Then again, reading posts like this one, spoken in regards to Fox News, home of "personalities" such as Glenn Beck, Gretchen Carlson, Sean Hannity, Megyn Kelly, and papa bear himself, Bill O'Reilly...

...could have also clued me in, if I cared to discuss politics with a group of people who will never participate in them, yet feel they know everything about them.

[Pretend I'm staring at you while I let that last bit sink in...]

...MUCH in the same way that you are doing on this board; pretending to know something about basketball coaching, or pretending to know something about politics... or in your case, even simple writing; basic English.

At least you're educated like a conservative. It is hard to drive a truck with a gun rack?

Let's search for examples, shall we?

Here's a shining example of your eloquence, and understanding of the nuances that go into coaching now... When given the opportunity to express what you felt about OU's special teams, you responded:

I looked around for a bit, but couldn't find anywhere where you elaborated on your opinion; instead settling for just stating it, probably repeatedly, until whoever was in the room paid attention to you.

And, if you want to bring up old ****, re: Vinny DelNegro, who I still don't think is a good coach, by the way, let's look at this "Real Gem of Genius," from the resident c*m towel...

I'm going to go out on a limb, as you rarely do - and by "rarely" I mean, "often, and without facts, logic, or evidence of any kind" - and say that the Saints are probably fairly glad that they kept Hartley. So, that's Skull - 2, Ret*rd - 0.

http://www.3click.tv/mp4//Its%20Always%20Sunny%20in%20Philadelphia/season3/metadata/337194.jpg

Now crawl your *ss back in your hole for a couple MORE months before I start strolling around behind you with napalm instead of mildly-annoyedpalm. If you have something to say to me, say it like an intelligent man, not some half-cocked redneck inbred with no experience in the subject matter. It'll help your case.

I mean, it's still going to be a fairly impotent case, given the source material (i.e. - you) but I'm sure that it won't be the first time you've tried to shoot pool with a rope, sir. Good day to you...

the_ouskull

Well shoot I'm a conservative so I guess I'm an idiot, thanks for letting me know!

Eielson
2/20/2010, 10:45 PM
I'm not a socialist, either.

the_ouskull
2/20/2010, 10:59 PM
Well shoot I'm a conservative so I guess I'm an idiot, thanks for letting me know!

Oh, I think that both sides have it wrong, man, don't get me wrong. I just harbor a particular dislike for those dyed-in-the-wool, wanna-be blue-blood Republicans, trying to cling to the last of the Reagan era of economics like a dying hero from one of his films. Especially when they try to shove their politics down someone else's throat. Politics and Money are two things I generally don't discuss, mainly because they're two things about which I have a lot less control than I think, and I'm something of a control freak. Que sera.

And let me clarify... Being "conservative" isn't the same thing as being "A Conservative." One is your lean, based on your belief system. The other is a lifestyle; governed not by rational thought on a decision-by-decision basis, but by a "Party Playbook." Hates queers? Check. Loves God? Check. Hippie in college, or business? Business. Of course. Check.

And, even though I consider myself very liberal on some issues, (social program, gay marriage, marijuana law reform) I am also very conservative, almost Fox "News"-worthy on other issues (death penalty for INDISPUTABLE evidence in 1st-degree rape trials, more - not fewer - appeals in death penalty cases) and, frankly, I suspect that most somewhat intelligent people don't "toe the party line" quite so Rush-esque. I am simply attacking the notion that everybody has to be one or the other, and that the two sides have to fight. It's that way of thinking that's gotten us into - bickering legislation, and kept us in the mess we're in now.

The 24-hour news cycle hasn't helped American politics, it's killed it... and it's done so by putting political discussions in the hands of people who don't fully understand it - made worse by our entertainment culture putting radio and talk and TV shows in the hands of people who also do not fully understand (or don't care about) the consequences of their actions. (Ann Coulter, et al..) The American public shouldn't have their "news" and their politics spoon-fed to them by the television - appropriately slanted, depending on which of Superman's two primary colors is most well-represented by your state's populace. The American people deserve better than the reality-show-esque parade of fail that has become American politics. Sadly, because of the aforementioned reality shows (amongst other reasons) the majority of American people no longer realize that they deserve better, and they're fine with shows like Hannity, and, really, any show that would have Ann Coulter on and still expect to be taken seriously.

"Next up on 'Jesus and Pals,' we have the Jews and the Romans."

http://www.arts.u-szeged.hu/american/americana/volIno1/images/104_jesus_and_pals.gif

Yay.

And both sides are blatantly hypocritical, too. When Bush does something, it's because he loved freedom. When Obama does the same thing, it's because he loves Socialism. It's all about spin, and NONE about the actual politics involved anymore. The average person on the street will give you an opinion, often whether or not you want to hear it, about how one of the last two President's has/is done/doing. But, if you ask them specific questions, they're at a loss. "I don't know why I feel that way, I just do," is what their incoherent rambling will eventually translate into, if you coax enough honesty out of them.

Republicans. Democrats. Everybody's bought hook, line, and sinker, right into all of this bipartisan bullsh*t, and the news eats it up, 'cause controversy sells... and the country goes right on being f*cked-up. More people know what Michelle Obama was wearing today than can find Afghanistan on a map, and THAT is what's wrong with American "news."

the_ouskull

Eielson
2/21/2010, 12:03 AM
Hippie in college, or business? Business. Of course. Check.

Is there something wrong with this?

John Kochtoston
2/21/2010, 01:04 AM
Man, it's good to know that whatever happens with OU athletics, Sampson-bashing will never go out of style. :rolleyes:

Ardmore_Sooner
2/21/2010, 01:10 AM
A few certain amount of people in this thread ride motorcycles, if you know what I mean.

bri
2/21/2010, 01:17 AM
Man, it's good to know that whatever happens with OU athletics, Sampson-bashing will never go out of style. :rolleyes:

Yeah, funny how someone who leaves a trail of recruiting violations and sanctions in his wake inspires that in people.

kc sooner
2/21/2010, 01:22 AM
Oh, I think that both sides have it wrong, man, don't get me wrong. I just harbor a particular dislike for those dyed-in-the-wool, wanna-be blue-blood Republicans, trying to cling to the last of the Reagan era of economics like a dying hero from one of his films. Especially when they try to shove their politics down someone else's throat. Politics and Money are two things I generally don't discuss, mainly because they're two things about which I have a lot less control than I think, and I'm something of a control freak. Que sera.

And let me clarify... Being "conservative" isn't the same thing as being "A Conservative." One is your lean, based on your belief system. The other is a lifestyle; governed not by rational thought on a decision-by-decision basis, but by a "Party Playbook." Hates queers? Check. Loves God? Check. Hippie in college, or business? Business. Of course. Check.

And, even though I consider myself very liberal on some issues, (social program, gay marriage, marijuana law reform) I am also very conservative, almost Fox "News"-worthy on other issues (death penalty for INDISPUTABLE evidence in 1st-degree rape trials, more - not fewer - appeals in death penalty cases) and, frankly, I suspect that most somewhat intelligent people don't "toe the party line" quite so Rush-esque. I am simply attacking the notion that everybody has to be one or the other, and that the two sides have to fight. It's that way of thinking that's gotten us into - bickering legislation, and kept us in the mess we're in now.

The 24-hour news cycle hasn't helped American politics, it's killed it... and it's done so by putting political discussions in the hands of people who don't fully understand it - made worse by our entertainment culture putting radio and talk and TV shows in the hands of people who also do not fully understand (or don't care about) the consequences of their actions. (Ann Coulter, et al..) The American public shouldn't have their "news" and their politics spoon-fed to them by the television - appropriately slanted, depending on which of Superman's two primary colors is most well-represented by your state's populace. The American people deserve better than the reality-show-esque parade of fail that has become American politics. Sadly, because of the aforementioned reality shows (amongst other reasons) the majority of American people no longer realize that they deserve better, and they're fine with shows like Hannity, and, really, any show that would have Ann Coulter on and still expect to be taken seriously.

"Next up on 'Jesus and Pals,' we have the Jews and the Romans."

http://www.arts.u-szeged.hu/american/americana/volIno1/images/104_jesus_and_pals.gif

Yay.

And both sides are blatantly hypocritical, too. When Bush does something, it's because he loved freedom. When Obama does the same thing, it's because he loves Socialism. It's all about spin, and NONE about the actual politics involved anymore. The average person on the street will give you an opinion, often whether or not you want to hear it, about how one of the last two President's has/is done/doing. But, if you ask them specific questions, they're at a loss. "I don't know why I feel that way, I just do," is what their incoherent rambling will eventually translate into, if you coax enough honesty out of them.

Republicans. Democrats. Everybody's bought hook, line, and sinker, right into all of this bipartisan bullsh*t, and the news eats it up, 'cause controversy sells... and the country goes right on being f*cked-up. More people know what Michelle Obama was wearing today than can find Afghanistan on a map, and THAT is what's wrong with American "news."

the_ouskull

Well this isn't the place for politics but I will say it's funny you mention shoving beliefs down people's throats when liberals do that too, and you mention Fox News a lot, the ONE channel that actually leans conservative compared to all the other Channels, if you don't think there is a liberal spin on most news channels, that's just crazy. There is over the top people on both sides I agree, but you just always mention conservative talkers that you don't like I suppose. And I do have a belief system and things that I think are right, and if someone says or does something I don't belive in, I'll say it no matter what party or who they are. Oh, and just because I don't believe in gay marriage, does NOT mean I hate gay people. That would be like saying all liberals hate Christians, because there are some liberals that make fun of them a lot and want God removed from everything. I do agree that it's sad how most people are so worried about what celebrities are doing instead of real news, and the media plays a big role in that.

Anyway, at least we can agree that the Sooners suck this year, and Monday is gonna really suck, because living up here in Kansas I'm gonna hear it all day Tuesday from my liberal KU fans about how bad they beat us. I told them to give me 30 and OU and it's a bet, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

John Kochtoston
2/21/2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah, funny how someone who leaves a trail of recruiting violations and sanctions in his wake inspires that in people.

Weird, because I can name more than one OU coach, both current and former, that got his team in trouble with the NCAA. Most of them are revered, and rightly so, because the good outweighs the bad. But, yeah, because the NCAA chose to handle a problem calling for a flyswatter with a .357, Sampson becomes persona non grata for lots of folks.

Eielson
2/21/2010, 01:29 AM
I like Sampson. I like Capel.

Yay!

Collier11
2/21/2010, 01:34 AM
Weird, because I can name more than one OU coach, both current and former, that got his team in trouble with the NCAA. Most of them are revered, and rightly so, because the good outweighs the bad. But, yeah, because the NCAA chose to handle a problem calling for a flyswatter with a .357, Sampson becomes persona non grata for lots of folks.

repeat offender, failure to admit wrongdoing, Sampson wrote his own check

Collier11
2/21/2010, 12:25 PM
Capel had some pointed words after the game...

"Scholarships are not guaranteed for next year. There will be some decisions that will be made. So if guys aren’t motivated, then they’ll make that decision a little bit easier.” — Capel, when asked what it will take to keep his team motivated.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/ou-mens-basketball-notebook-willie-warren-out-indefinitely-with-ankle-injury/article/3441167#ixzz0gBz7oJY4

the_ouskull
2/21/2010, 01:12 PM

"Scholarships are not guaranteed for next year. There will be some decisions that will be made. So if guys aren’t motivated, then they’ll make that decision a little bit easier.” — Capel, when asked what it will take to keep his team motivated.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/ou-mens-basketball-notebook-willie-warren-out-indefinitely-with-ankle-injury/article/3441167#ixzz0gBz7oJY4

I like the sound of that...

the_ouskull

Eielson
2/21/2010, 04:09 PM
Who exactly should we pull scholarships from, though?

Hopefully Warren leaves on his own. Getting rid of Gallon after just one year would look terrible for recruiting. I could see getting rid of the shoplifters, but Capel said Fitzgerald is one of the few guys who hasn't had his butt kissed his whole life. I would think getting rid of a guy like that would be a mistake.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 04:13 PM
Again, the Warren hatred is retarded so just STOP! 2nd, we have no idea who he is referring to regarding the bad attitudes and laziness. It may be someone we arent even thinking about but I think his overall point is, you either are going to buy into his system and play the way he wants you to or you can go play somewhere else, it is probably pointed to the entire team

Eielson
2/21/2010, 04:16 PM
Again, the Warren hatred is retarded so just STOP!

Oh, okay. I guess I'll stop now.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 04:26 PM
Well, you have no idea what you are talking about. WW is a great talent who has struggled this year, other great talents have struggled before.

You make assumptions that he has a bad attitude or that he is lazy and Capel has never said anything about that, he may be but you have no idea so just leave it alone until it is confirmed by someone who actually knows

bri
2/21/2010, 06:31 PM

Check the archives; he was persona non grata for me LONG before his rampant violations.

And Collier, does Capel benching Willie for long stretches this season and stating in his postgame comments that he's tired of trying to figure him out not count as "confirmation" of a bad attitude?

I Am Right
2/21/2010, 06:36 PM
Maybe I'm saying this out of frustration or maybe it's because I've just watched this team lose...once again, to a bad team. All I know is that I'm watching an OU team with more talent on the floor than any team of the last 20 years and we just plain SUCK!!
I have been in awe of Jeff Capels recruiting ability but right now I am in awe of how this much talent can play so poorly. I hate to say this because I have been very bitter towards Kelvin Sampson since he left, but he did way more with much less talent. For 12 years he had teams that over achieved. The one constant on his teams was a defensive effort that was smothering to opponents. This team has no defensive presence at all. This team doesn't play as a team. This team is obviously in disarray.
These McDonalds All Americans make me long for the good old days of lesser recruited talent. Tiny Gallon? I'll take Renzi Stone and his inside presence any day. Give me the Nate Erdman's, the Ernie Abercrombie's, the Quannas White's, the Terrell Everett's, the Nate Carter's, the Ebi Ere's.
At least all of these guys took their teams to the NCAA's. Or maybe, just maybe, it was COACHING that produced winning records and post season play with average talent.
How can a coach making 2 million bucks a year just sit there with his hand on his chin and still cash his check? Oh yeah, I forgot, It's all the players fault!

Amen Brother.

I Am Right
2/21/2010, 06:37 PM
Well, you have no idea what you are talking about. WW is a great talent who has struggled this year, other great talents have struggled before.

You make assumptions that he has a bad attitude or that he is lazy and Capel has never said anything about that, he may be but you have no idea so just leave it alone until it is confirmed by someone who actually knows

Having struggling talent is one thing, but lack of effort is another.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 06:40 PM
Check the archives; he was persona non grata for me LONG before his rampant violations.

And Collier, does Capel benching Willie for long stretches this season and stating in his postgame comments that he's tired of trying to figure him out not count as "confirmation" of a bad attitude?

I never took any of Capels comments as a shot to Willies bad attitude, I took it as Capel is frustrated as to why one night he will go for 20 and the next night he will shoot 4 times. Maybe im wrong but I didnt take it that way

I Am Right
2/21/2010, 06:43 PM

What the freshman post needs is a good agent!

Crimsontothecore
2/21/2010, 09:01 PM

"My job is not guaranteed for next year. There will be some decisions that will be made. So if I'm not right for this job, then that'll make that decision a little bit easier for Joe C.” — Capel, when asked what it will take to keep his team motivated.

Fixed

Eielson
2/21/2010, 09:22 PM
Well, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Hi, kettle.

WW is a great talent who has struggled this year, other great talents have struggled before.

"Who has struggled" translates to "he has been bad." Yes, he is a great talent, and yes, other great talents have struggled before.

What Bri said.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 10:02 PM
Hi, kettle.

buy a clue

"Who has struggled" translates to "he has been bad." Yes, he is a great talent, and yes, other great talents have struggled before.

Big diff between saying he is struggling and dogging him like you have been

What Bri said.

you can rarely think for yourself so this is expected

Eielson
2/21/2010, 10:06 PM
You're trying to make this personal, so I'm done. I'm not going to bite.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 10:08 PM
Im not making anything personal, your argument is weak so I pointed it out. If you cant handle that, dont post

Eielson
2/21/2010, 10:11 PM
your a little kid

Big diff between saying he is struggling and dogging him like you have been

you can rarely think for yourself so this is expected

Collier11
2/21/2010, 10:17 PM
And??? Did I hurt your feelings?

Your kettle post was retarded as my statement regarding WW was completely diff than yours, your last opinion was borrowed from Bri so I think my last statement was spot on

Crimsontothecore
2/21/2010, 10:33 PM
If Sampson were still here, we most likely would not have gotten Blake Griffin and the program would have been on probation. Best thing that happened to us was Sampson going to Indiana and not being our problem.

Capel is a good coach but we lost the #1 player in the country to the NBA and think a lot of people missed that it was more then Blake -- it was also Taylor and some others who made a difference.

Would rather have a bad season and Capel who plays by the rules then have wins taken away because Sampson broke the rules along with assistant coaches. I thought his teams were boring to watch and getting sick of tired of reading how great they were as we kept getting beat in the first round to teams we should not have lost. So many players left the team -- if he was such a great coach they wouldn't have left.

What do you think people are saying at North Carolina this year with their team?

Instead of griping all the time, it might be nice to be supportive of a team going through a hard season. The two guys that shoplifted should be running up and down the stadium stairs for what they did -- it was dumb but college kids do dumb things for dumb reasons.

Some people expect perfection every year and when we don't get it everyone is no good. Disgusting how fast some of you forget these are young kids with not a lot of senior leadership and just lost a ton of talent. So they came to OU with a "I" attitude -- not unusual. We have had players step up like Cade Davis this year and yet don't hear much about him.

This idea of jumping on and off the bandwagon depending on winning or losing doesn't make a true fan. I saw the team beat OSU at home when they could have tanked going into overtime but didn't. That same team beat Texas and then Warren got mono, tiny was questionable because of agent in high school, and two guys shoplifted. How is that Capel's fault?

This team just like our football team is going to learn a lot from this year and with the right people will be much better next year. As for you bandwagon people who jumped off, suggest you stay off when we start winning. We sat through freezing temps to watch OU get clobbered by A&M during Blake but we stayed because that's what you do when you are fans. We are going to the Baylor game and win or lose we will leave when the game is over.

I can appreciate your "glass half full" outlook but criticizing this teams performance and coaching in no way makes me or anyone else a "bandwagon jumper." It is possible to be a die-hard fan and still voice disappointment.

First of all, yes, we would have landed Blake Griffin with or without Capel. Blake wanted to play with his brother plain and simple.

Yes, This team lost the country's best player and some solid role players, there's no denying that. It would have been unrealistic to expect another 30+ wins this season but it's just as unrealistic to imply that we should have expected the 13-13 record we now have. If this was expected then why did EVERY college football guru in the country have OU in the preseason top 15? Apparently they should have seeked the advice of this boards experts.

Losing in the first round of the tournament is more disappointing to you then finishing with a sub .500 record and not even making the NIT? Seriously? wow.

The most disturbing aspect of this team is the fact that thy have shown ZERO improvement throughout the season. They are making the same stupid mistakes they were making in early December. that is a coaching issue.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 10:36 PM
Agree with everything you said except for about Blake, Capel was key in getting him and with Sampson we woulda had Damion James and the kid who went to UAB. Blake woulda been alot more likely to go somewhere else

ndpruitt03
2/21/2010, 11:19 PM
Agree with everything you said except for about Blake, Capel was key in getting him and with Sampson we woulda had Damion James and the kid who went to UAB. Blake woulda been alot more likely to go somewhere else

There is no evidence to say we don't get him with Sampson also. Yes Capel did a nice job recruiting him but who is to say Sampson wouldn't have?

bri
2/21/2010, 11:25 PM
Sampson probably would have gotten Blake, plus two more years probation for us. YAY!

Collier11
2/21/2010, 11:36 PM
There is no evidence to say we don't get him with Sampson also. Yes Capel did a nice job recruiting him but who is to say Sampson wouldn't have?

all I said was that we had commitments from James and Mayfielf (I think) and that woulda made it less likely, not impossible though

meoveryouxinfinity
2/21/2010, 11:38 PM
Don't tell me we have 3 All Americans and all 3 of them were just "not as talented" as presumed. Please.

I have to believe this is coaching because Capel has little control over his team. Like someone else said, Capel could watch from the TV at home and the team would do just as well if not better.
Go ahead and cash in this year. But if we experience the same problems (even at a lesser extent) next year, it's Capel's head and all of us know it and should expect it.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 11:42 PM
The 3 you are speaking of are plenty of talented, there is some issue going on that we dont see, whether it is attitudes or just a bad year, they havent figured out how to play together. Hopefully next year is alot diff

meoveryouxinfinity
2/21/2010, 11:51 PM
The 3 you are speaking of are plenty of talented, there is some issue going on that we dont see, whether it is attitudes or just a bad year, they havent figured out how to play together. Hopefully next year is alot diff

I was skeptical of Willie Warren last year. Yeah, Blake stole his thunder, but I kind of thought if he couldn't be outstanding playing on the court with Blake, he wouldn't be any better next year (this year) without Blake.

Tiny Gallon's problem is at least 50% attitude. I know I've posted on here before the kinds of things that has come out of "NBA boy's" mouth. My girl was asking him if he was a starter and he said "please don't insult me like that." (at the time I don't think he was a starter, he insinuated he was.) He talked about how he was going to be a millionaire in months and how there were 3 future NBA players on the team and the other guys were the reason they were losing games. He is NBA crazy. Look at his Facebook. He talked bad about the university and isn't happy to be 1) in college and 2) in Oklahoma. Knowing him, I would say he is the cancer on this team. I don't know any of the other players but I can only imagine that he drags the team down.

please note that I have not watched any games this year and admittedly like to hear the sound of my voice. I don't claim to know anything about basketball and I'm pretty happy about that fact this year.

Eielson
2/22/2010, 12:26 AM
Sampson probably would have gotten Blake

I somewhat agree, but for only one year. He would've cleared a spot on the team for his brother to start with Damion James. Blake was a great player in his first year, but he was the best in his second. We would've had Blake Griffin, but we wouldn't have had "Blake."

Eielson
2/22/2010, 12:28 AM
please note that I have not watched any games this year and admittedly like to hear the sound of my voice. I don't claim to know anything about basketball and I'm pretty happy about that fact this year.

This kinda nullifies your opinions.

Collier11
2/22/2010, 01:13 AM
As someone else pointed out, Roy Williams just won his 2nd natl title, has 7 McDs AA's and is having a similar season. Good coaches will correct, we will see what Capel can do next season but I have complete faith in him

okienole3
2/22/2010, 07:29 AM
This may have been posted already, but I am too lazy to go through the whole thread. But, I am less concerned with TMG saying he has to go to class to play basketball. That is a reality to him. I am much more concerned about him posting suwuup on his facebook status.

ndpruitt03
2/22/2010, 10:12 AM
I somewhat agree, but for only one year. He would've cleared a spot on the team for his brother to start with Damion James. Blake was a great player in his first year, but he was the best in his second. We would've had Blake Griffin, but we wouldn't have had "Blake."

Blake woulda been a star no matter what. We get him and he is still a star. James is a pure 4. Blake would have been the only guy on the team that is really a 5. And people that say Mayfield would have started over him. Mayfield plays for Texas Weseleyan and averaging 7.9 points and 7.6 boards. That's at the Div 2 level. He's really going to start over Blake?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/22/2010, 10:31 AM
Blake woulda been a star no matter what. We get him and he is still a star. James is a pure 4. Blake would have been the only guy on the team that is really a 5. And people that say Mayfield would have started over him. Mayfield plays for Texas Weseleyan and averaging 7.9 points and 7.6 boards. That's at the Div 2 level. He's really going to start over Blake?

Wow. Between the flamewar and political discussions this thread just stepped into Bizarro World as now I agree with NZ on something.

ndpruitt03
2/22/2010, 10:52 AM
Here's last years lineup if Sampson stays and we get Blake.

Reynolds, AJ, Griffin/Crocker, James. Blake Griffin with Taylor Griffin/Crocker off the bench. That team might be good enough to beat UNC last year. Don't know if we get Warren though.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/22/2010, 01:07 PM
Here's last years lineup if Sampson stays and we get Blake.

Reynolds, AJ, Griffin/Crocker, James. Blake Griffin with Taylor Griffin/Crocker off the bench. That team might be good enough to beat UNC last year. Don't know if we get Warren though.

Yeah, it would have sucked being the best team in the country and being banned from postseason play.

soonervegas
2/22/2010, 01:24 PM
My guess on who wont be hear next year:

SP
TG

and we make the tourney w/WW.

Ton Loc
2/22/2010, 02:08 PM
Why all the passion now that we “suck?”

If we are going to do this can we all get on the same side –

We all love OU Bball and our current hateful attitudes towards each other are only because we care so much that we all feel the need to pick on each other and turn this into a right/wrong war

Damn, this season sucks.
These posts suck.
Our attitude sucks. (I wonder how the players feel)
Suck Suck Suck

BTW - No one makes game threads because it is just a constant reminder of the suckiness with every update and post.

the_ouskull
2/22/2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, it would have sucked being the best team in the country and being banned from postseason play.

Our football team won a championship that way, boy. Don't knock it now, ya hear?

Man, I'm sorry, that's as "redneck" as I can get without an accompanying voice.

the_ouskull

Red Ada
2/22/2010, 07:20 PM
I like Sampson. I like Capel.

Yay!

Yea! you could confiscate six of Sampson's cell phones
and leave him with only one and he could still out recruit
Capel.

Red Ada
2/22/2010, 07:32 PM

That is not true! Blake wanted to play with Taylor and would have
enrolled at what ever school Taylor was playing for which happened
to be Oklahoma because Sampson recruited him.

Oklahoma got Blake because of Taylor not because of Capel.

Eielson
2/22/2010, 08:19 PM

That's cool. It has nothing to do with what I said, though.

ndpruitt03
2/22/2010, 08:21 PM
You basically said Blake wouldn't have started his first year. Yes he would have.

Eielson
2/22/2010, 08:29 PM
You basically said Blake wouldn't have started his first year. Yes he would have.

No, actually I didn't. I said Sampson would've only had Blake for one year (which means he would've gone pro after his freshman season if you can't figure it out). I doubt he would've stayed if it meant keeping his brother out of a starting spot.

Collier11
2/22/2010, 08:42 PM
That is not true! Blake wanted to play with Taylor and would have
enrolled at what ever school Taylor was playing for which happened
to be Oklahoma because Sampson recruited him.

Oklahoma got Blake because of Taylor not because of Capel.

you are clueless

ndpruitt03
2/23/2010, 12:45 AM
We actually played well tonight. Just didn't have anywhere near the talent level of Kansas.

Collier11
2/23/2010, 12:46 AM
As I said in the game thread, im very proud of our guys tonight. If Fitz can add a little quickness to his game he might end up being pretty damn good

Collier11
2/23/2010, 12:49 AM
Does Fitzgeralds game remind anyone of Carlos Boozer?

Before you lame brains freak out and act like I said he is as good or something stupid like that, im just saying the way he plays

yankee
2/23/2010, 01:05 AM
Does Fitzgeralds game remind anyone of Carlos Boozer?

Before you lame brains freak out and act like I said he is as good or something stupid like that, im just saying the way he plays

yeah a little bit. i have seen fitz play just a little (on tv) this year, and he surprised me with his pretty jump shot today. there was a great turnaround jumper he had over alrdrich i believe that got nothing but net. if he adds a post up game (like boozer's) he could be a real force.

josh09
2/23/2010, 02:36 AM
How can any of you have expected a better season than this? Honestly, this is right at about what I thought we would be, a little over .500. We have 2 true freshman starting, Crocker has never done anything besides hit a couple 3's for us, Cade is decent, and Willie thinks hes better than he really is. We are a very young team, and we should be good next year and the year after.

As for Willie Warren, if he does choose to go to the NBA, I think it would be an incredibly stupid decision. He's had a terrible season.

Collier11
2/23/2010, 02:41 AM
well hell, I shoulda just asked you what was up and not even watched the season

bri
2/23/2010, 03:09 AM
Our football team won a championship that way, boy. Don't knock it now, ya hear?

It's a little harder to pull that off when there's an actual tournament they can ban you from. :D

setem
2/23/2010, 06:27 AM
Soonersports headline "Sooners Hang with No. 1 Kansas, Fall on Road 81-68" How exactly did we hang with them? When the closest you get late in the game is 12pts, I would not say that is "hanging" with them. Did they all go to the bars together after and bond? I hope Self paid!

bri
2/23/2010, 07:25 AM
What the hell did you expect them to say? They have to spin it as best they can; it's not like the headline can be "Sooners Get Dick-Slapped By No. 1 Kansas, Will Have Mushroom-Shaped Bruise For 6 to 8 Weeks".

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/23/2010, 07:42 AM
I thought a better headline would have been "ESPN continues to find cute and creative ways to talk Tebow!!"

setem
2/23/2010, 08:32 AM
What the hell did you expect them to say? They have to spin it as best they can; it's not like the headline can be "Sooners Get Dick-Slapped By No. 1 Kansas, Will Have Mushroom-Shaped Bruise For 6 to 8 Weeks".

YES! I have seen more honest headlines on there before. There is nothing to spin...they got beat! Just say they got beat and that is it. No need to candy coat the fact we sucks a big rubbery one!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/23/2010, 10:20 AM
How can any of you have expected a better season than this? Honestly, this is right at about what I thought we would be, a little over .500. We have 2 true freshman starting, Crocker has never done anything besides hit a couple 3's for us, Cade is decent, and Willie thinks hes better than he really is. We are a very young team, and we should be good next year and the year after.

As for Willie Warren, if he does choose to go to the NBA, I think it would be an incredibly stupid decision. He's had a terrible season.

I didn't expect OU to be a top 15 team. I didn't think we would push KU or Texas. I did think we could be a top 30 team. I understand we are young but at times we had 3 McD AA on the floor at one time with WW, TMG and TG. That has never happened before at OU. Hindsight is very easy at this point. Tiny was a player that has probably dropped 75 lbs prior to coming to campus. That would suggest that he was serious about coming to OU and going right to work. To this point I think most agree that hasn't been the case though the potential is there.

I submit that with a 100% healthy WW and Tiny giving 100% each night that we would have overcome some of our youth and probably would have at least 4-5 more wins than we do right now. If we were sitting 17-10 and 7-4 right now we would probably be lamenting what might have been if WW was healthy instead of pretending we thought we were going to struggle all along.

I've seen enough from Tiny and from Fitzgerald in stretches to believe that our inside game the next couple years can be good IF they are all in and want to put in the effort. There are questions marks about both though neither was forseeable before the season started so we are back to hindsight alone suggesting we would struggle.

Crimsontothecore
2/24/2010, 09:14 AM

Oh please! So let me get this straight; when every sports writer, coach and college b-ball guru in the country had OU in the pre-season top 15, YOU were thinking .500? whatever. I suppose you also picked the football team to go 8-5.
I can't believe you're posting here when ESPN would love to have you on their payroll.

stoopified
2/27/2010, 08:16 PM
What the hell did you expect them to say? They have to spin it as best they can; it's not like the headline can be "Sooners Get Dick-Slapped By No. 1 Kansas, Will Have Mushroom-Shaped Bruise For 6 to 8 Weeks".:D

OUmillenium
3/1/2010, 06:01 PM
I agree, we suck this year.

1. 3 McD's all americans...I think WW has been hurt all year and never got in the groove. TMG played great, improved, quick, but undersized. Tiny is not a great athlete and not a hard worker - his skill level and court smarts are not enough to compensate for his weaknesses.
2. Cade Davis has been a pleasant surprise, as has Wright at times.
3. Crocker has been more disappointing than good this year.
4. Fitzgerald has court smarts and some work ethic, but not a great athlete.
5. Pledger only helps when shooting the 3 well, hasn't done that outside of a few early season games.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many deficiencies/weaknesses to overcome for this team. Hard work from day 1 might have done it but we obviously did not get that for whatever reason and with the egos on this team (or idiots) I can't put all the blame on Coach Capel.