PDA

View Full Version : Why do I hate Adobe?

yermom
2/17/2010, 02:49 PM
someone here asked me that a while back...

well, this is why :D

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9157438/Rogue_PDFs_account_for_80_of_all_exploits_says_res earcher

Just hours before Adobe is slated to deliver the latest patches for its popular PDF viewer, a security firm announced that by its counting, malicious Reader documents made up 80% of all exploits at the end of 2009.

Lott's Bandana
2/17/2010, 03:18 PM
But I loves my Photoshop...

silverwheels
2/17/2010, 04:06 PM
Adobe Reader is probably the worst popular software ever. It serves no purpose at all.

Leroy Lizard
2/17/2010, 08:55 PM
Are you dissin' the entire PDF format or just the reader software?

GKeeper316
2/17/2010, 09:22 PM
reader sucks. photoshop, after effects and premiere pro kick ***.

soonerboomer93
2/18/2010, 10:33 AM
Are you dissin' the entire PDF format or just the reader software?

pretty sure he's just dissin the reader

and flash is a pretty bad on the security to

I acutally use Foxit reader

yermom
2/18/2010, 10:44 AM
still my biggest gripe with Flash is performance

of course i never use Photoshop, i use the GIMP or Irfanview when i need to do stuff, which is rarely.

Ike
2/18/2010, 10:48 AM
pretty sure he's just dissin the reader

and flash is a pretty bad on the security to

I acutally use Foxit reader

PDFs are great. The adobe reader is pig vomit.
Foxit is pretty good though. dont know how it is with respect to security vulnerabilites though.
On second thought, I might be being a little harsh to pig vomit.

yermom
2/18/2010, 11:00 AM
i haven't dug that deep, but Foxit has security issues too. i'm not sure how they deal with the same vulnerabilities, but i don't think they update as often which scares me a little

it's when you start adding crazy functionality where it all breaks down. opening other URLs or javascript junk is the problem. why do i need that in a .pdf? use PHP or something, jeez

SCOUT
2/18/2010, 11:26 AM
I have been asked to purchase adobe acrobat 9 to create some pdf's. Is there something that you guys would recommend instead?

yermom
2/18/2010, 12:01 PM
what do the pdfs need to do?

i've never used Acrobat to make them. Macs and Linux do it for free. i'm pretty sure there is a free Windows program out there. Google Docs does it in Linux, but i'm not sure about Windows

but some of the fancy stuff probably requires Acrobat, and it's likely easier to use, if you are getting it for an office and not just one person

Crucifax Autumn
2/18/2010, 12:18 PM
of course i never use Photoshop, i use the GIMP or Irfanview when i need to do stuff, which is rarely.

Wow...Such top-notch, professional quality stuff!

Seriously...Photoshop is a million times better than all those crappy knockoffs. I realize that some of the hobbyist farkers seem to love GIMP, but really, Photoshop is the industry standard for a reason. My only real bitch with PS is the sudden constant new versions after 800 years since 7 came out.

As fpr PDFs, perhaps you should inform some of the guys running this place that chose to archive old threads with pdf files so we don't all lose touch after SF eats our computers! ;)

Seriously though, Adobe needs to get on top of this problem before their actual great programs suffer a PR disaster thanks to a file format and, more accurately, the reader program.

SCOUT
2/18/2010, 02:00 PM
what do the pdfs need to do?

i've never used Acrobat to make them. Macs and Linux do it for free. i'm pretty sure there is a free Windows program out there. Google Docs does it in Linux, but i'm not sure about Windows

but some of the fancy stuff probably requires Acrobat, and it's likely easier to use, if you are getting it for an office and not just one person

It is for a virtual office. The idea is to create some editable forms, contracts and the like.

yermom
2/18/2010, 02:06 PM
sounds like Acrobat then

yermom
2/18/2010, 02:07 PM
Wow...Such top-notch, professional quality stuff!

Seriously...Photoshop is a million times better than all those crappy knockoffs. I realize that some of the hobbyist farkers seem to love GIMP, but really, Photoshop is the industry standard for a reason. My only real bitch with PS is the sudden constant new versions after 800 years since 7 came out.

As fpr PDFs, perhaps you should inform some of the guys running this place that chose to archive old threads with pdf files so we don't all lose touch after SF eats our computers! ;)

Seriously though, Adobe needs to get on top of this problem before their actual great programs suffer a PR disaster thanks to a file format and, more accurately, the reader program.

well, it's Flash too

and i never said those were replacements for Photoshop, but it's certainly overkill for what i need

Stitch Face
2/18/2010, 02:15 PM
It is for a virtual office. The idea is to create some editable forms, contracts and the like.

Mmmmmm. Edible forms.