PDA

View Full Version : USC NCAA Hearing Tomorrow

KantoSooner
2/17/2010, 11:54 AM
I was reading about USC's hearing with the NCAA tomorrow on edsbs.com and the article from the LA Times made it sound like doom was approaching. Any indications about how close/far away we might be from knowing if NCAA intends on real punishment?

Personally, I think it would be funny if they lost schollies and we cold pickup several more recruits.

Sonner magic923
2/17/2010, 12:02 PM
No death penalty in California:(

WA. Sooner
2/17/2010, 12:14 PM
They will have to post a "I'm Sorry" in back of the school paper on a Saturday

SteelClip49
2/17/2010, 12:15 PM
Will Ferrell will represent USC and provide comedy for the NCAA therefore not letting USC get into trouble.

Collier11
2/17/2010, 12:26 PM
Will they actually hand down a punishment tom?

KantoSooner
2/17/2010, 12:35 PM
just a hearing, I think. I had hoped that someone else on this board might know more about the procedural aspects....

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFCeJTEzNU

goingoneight
2/17/2010, 01:14 PM
Will Ferrell will represent USC and provide comedy for the NCAA therefore not letting USC get into trouble.

Something doesn't add up here.

Leroy Lizard
2/17/2010, 01:37 PM
They will have to post a "I'm Sorry" in back of the school paper on a Saturday

They'll never say they're sorry. They'll say that the NCAA has reviewed the allegations and has handed down penalties, but the university thinks the penalties are unwarranted but are willing to abide to "get along."

Sooner-N-KS
2/17/2010, 03:23 PM
Will they actually hand down a punishment tom?

No. I think they may come to conclusions tomorrow or over the weekend in private, but they will have to write a 100 or so page report that will take around 10 weeks to do.

We should hear something in early May probably?

fwsooner22
2/17/2010, 03:40 PM
Come back in 2013....everybody "out there" is still trying to find the guy who killed Nicole Simpson. Everyone knows that.

SoonerKnight
2/18/2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-usc-ncaa18-2010feb18,0,5346382.story

Reporting from Tempe, Ariz. - After a nearly four-year investigation that expanded from one sport to another and involves some of the most prominent names in its storied sports history, USC finally goes before the NCAA infractions committee Thursday.

The 10-member committee convenes to determine whether alleged violations in USC's football and basketball programs took place and, if so, whether they constituted a lack of institutional control.

"My understanding is this one might be a pretty long deal," Tom Yeager, a former NCAA infractions committee member, said of the hearing.

USC has already self-imposed sanctions against its basketball program for violations that occurred during O.J. Mayo's one-season stay with the Trojans in 2007-08. The school also faces allegations about its football program that were first reported in 2006. Athletic Director Mike Garrett, the university's compliance director and faculty athletic representative, attorneys, and school President Steven Sample are expected to be among USC's contingent at the hearing. Former basketball coach Tim Floyd plans to attend, his attorney said; former football coach Pete Carroll also is expected to appear.

The NCAA investigation began in March 2006, when reports surfaced that the family of Heisman Trophy-winning tailback Reggie Bush had lived in a San Diego area home that was owned by a would-be marketer who planned to be part of a group that represented Bush when he turned pro.

Bush also is alleged to have received thousands of dollars in cash and benefits while playing for the Trojans. Bush has said that neither he nor his family did anything wrong.

The Mayo inquiry began in May 2008 after a former associate told ESPN that the star player received cash and other benefits from Rodney Guillory, an event promoter who helped guide Mayo to USC.

USC officials and the NCAA have declined to comment specifically about the case or the hearing. USC's stature as one of the most successful programs in college sports will not influence how the committee treats the case, infractions committee chairman Paul Dee said.

"Every school thinks it is high profile," Dee said. "There is no difference."

Below is a timeline of events that led to USC's appearance before the NCAA infractions committee:

badger
2/18/2010, 05:35 PM

Unfortunately, someone changed his teleprompter to read "Go **** yourself, NCAA." and now USC is doomed :D

VA Sooner
2/18/2010, 06:23 PM
Seems like a whole heap of trouble... but my gut tells me it will amount to nothing.

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2010, 06:49 PM
USC has already self-imposed sanctions against its basketball program for violations that occurred during O.J. Mayo's one-season stay with the Trojans in 2007-08.

Guys, don't you think they've suffered enough?!?!

Partial Qualifier
2/18/2010, 07:11 PM
SSHHHH! Did you hear that?

sounded like a slap on the wrist

Collier11
2/20/2010, 12:52 AM
ummm, sh*t just got deeper for u$c

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AjRK1unePfx6T_ZS9Znicls5nYcB?slug=jc-uscncaa021910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

pappy
2/20/2010, 04:22 AM
so I wonder if seantrell henderson will go to ohio state now instead of suc

sooneredaco
2/20/2010, 10:02 AM
I hope they get the death penalty

StoopTroup
2/20/2010, 12:27 PM
It's hard to give the Death Penalty to O.J. University. The the bush fits you must acquit!

MamaMia
2/20/2010, 01:07 PM
The NCAA has sought to talk to Michaels because he reached a settlement with Bush. Michaels has been unable to speak because the settlement included a confidentiality clause. But that clause does not apply to other legal proceedings if Michaels is subpoenaed.

Watkins said he and partner Paul Wong have filed a subpoena of Michaels and submitted that paperwork to Bush’s attorney. Michaels’ deposition can be shared publicly. Bush’s former attorneys previously had argued unsuccessfully that Michaels’ deposition should remain private.

The NCAA could include the deposition as evidence in its investigation of the USC programs. The Committee on Infractions generally takes six-to-eight weeks to reach a decision on investigations.

NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn declined to comment since the case is ongoing.

NCAA rule Section 32.8.8.1, subtitled “Request for New Information,” establishes that the committee can request information, such as the deposition. ...but 'will' they?

freshchris05
2/20/2010, 01:49 PM
USC? Violations? What?

Lasagna
2/20/2010, 02:43 PM
Anyone notice that this is a front page article (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12945353/uscs-day-in-ncaa-court-comes-with-future-in-balance) on CBS sports, and doesn't even warrant a mention on ESPN.com? They are treating this the way they have throughout, ever since Yahoo sports broke the story, bury it and hope it goes away.

Since they own the sports media world as we know it, there is no legitimate voice to call them out on this, and its bullcrap.

Collier11
2/21/2010, 12:36 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/sports/ncaafootball/21usc.html?ref=sports

Scott D
2/21/2010, 12:43 PM
Anyone notice that this is a front page article (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12945353/uscs-day-in-ncaa-court-comes-with-future-in-balance) on CBS sports, and doesn't even warrant a mention on ESPN.com? They are treating this the way they have throughout, ever since Yahoo sports broke the story, bury it and hope it goes away.

Since they own the sports media world as we know it, there is no legitimate voice to call them out on this, and its bullcrap.

The day of the hearing ESPN was all over it. However, that day was 3 days ago, and the Olympics are bigger news..hell the NBA Trade Deadline was bigger news than a hearing where we won't hear the results of for another 2 months.