PDA

View Full Version : what happens to the money

OUHOMER
2/15/2010, 07:00 PM
a candidate has in his war chest if he retires or decides not to run. does he just keep it, give it back?

Just wondering

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 07:09 PM
Hookers! :D

olevetonahill
2/15/2010, 08:31 PM
And Beer :D

Stitch Face
2/15/2010, 08:32 PM
and pills :D

olevetonahill
2/18/2010, 12:58 AM
All these smart guys Here on the SO. that know every thing, and this hasn't been answered yet?

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2010, 02:18 AM
Since the candidacy is a non-profit and the non-profit dissolves, then the money has to be turned over to another non-profit.

At least, that is my guess.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/18/2010, 02:20 AM
The Tulsa_Fireman Fund For Wayward Boobies

King Barry's Back
2/18/2010, 07:56 AM
Since the candidacy is a non-profit and the non-profit dissolves, then the money has to be turned over to another non-profit.

At least, that is my guess.

Good guess, Leroy, but campaigns are governed by special legislation and regulation that applies only to them. (The political influence of campaign cash is obvious.)

Any good and serious elected official never stops raising money, and it used to be that, if that office holder ever decided not to run for re-election -- he got to keep whatever money was left in the campaign coffers.

That law was changed about 15 years ago -- I remember a big group of Congressmen not running for re-election, and everybody said the real reason was because they wanted to retire on their campaign war chests and they would have to give it up if they ran just one more time.

I believe that under current law, whatever they don't spend, they tend to give to other candidates -- usually in order to gain favor from them. (My guess is that most of them figure out how to spend most of it -- publishing their memoirs or building memorials to themselves or what have you.)

I'll look into this and try to get an authoritative answer on it.

StoopTroup
2/18/2010, 09:30 AM
Another LeroidFailBlog.org.....lol

Crucifax Autumn
2/18/2010, 12:34 PM
Warchests is a damned sexy term.

StoopTroup
2/18/2010, 12:36 PM
Warchests is a damned sexy term.

And used properly...many battles can be won way before things get ugly. :D

Crucifax Autumn
2/18/2010, 12:39 PM