PDA

View Full Version : OU Wrestling program...

tbl
2/15/2010, 03:20 PM
Anybody? Nothing?

Lott's Bandana
2/15/2010, 03:31 PM
Rumor has it they are pretty dayum good.

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 03:35 PM
I quit paying attention to rasslin when the Macho Man Randy Savage retired.

Boomer.....
2/15/2010, 03:43 PM
They are ranked 9th in the country. 16-2-1, 2-1-1 Big 12

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/021410aaa.html

SanJoaquinSooner
2/18/2010, 09:49 PM
I've been encouraged by their regular season. But the fact is, they were huge disappointments in the last two NCAA tournaments. We left with no medalists.

We probably dont have anyone who will make the finals, but I'll be very disappointed if we don't have two or three All Americans this year, with the team finishing in the top ten.

soonerborn45
2/20/2010, 02:34 PM
Actually they have 3 or 4 potential AAs. Bailey and Terry are ranked 3rd and Lapotsky is ranked 6th. I would say look for them to surprise some people in the tournament because with the new system in place OU could send all 10 of their wrestlers to nationals

MiccoMacey
2/24/2010, 02:58 PM
I think the surprise wrestler for OU will be Patterson, a freshman from Cushing. He will go farther in the NCAAs than most think.

As mentioned, Bailey, Terry, and Lapotsky should give us some good points as well. We probably will be in the top ten, and a top five isn't out of the question if we have some others step up and win a match or two (especially Vernon and Fernandez).

SanJoaquinSooner
3/7/2010, 01:23 AM
I think the surprise wrestler for OU will be Patterson, a freshman from Cushing. He will go farther in the NCAAs than most think.

As mentioned, Bailey, Terry, and Lapotsky should give us some good points as well. We probably will be in the top ten, and a top five isn't out of the question if we have some others step up and win a match or two (especially Vernon and Fernandez).

Patterson showed his stuff tonight, winning the Big 12 title as a frosh, over a cowboy who had whipped him convincingly earlier this season. I hope that boosts his seeding for the NCAA into top six.

yankee
3/7/2010, 11:24 AM
Patterson showed his stuff tonight, winning the Big 12 title as a frosh, over a cowboy who had whipped him convincingly earlier this season. I hope that boosts his seeding for the NCAA into top six.

was the best part of the entire day for me. the crowd went nuts, coach henson was jumping all over the place. hell, even spates was celebrating like crazy. kid's going to be special.

Big Red Ron
3/8/2010, 01:57 PM
Third in the Big XII should get a pretty darn high seed.

MiccoMacey
3/9/2010, 10:28 PM

The better match wasn't with the Cowboy in the semifinals...he'd already beaten him twice before compared to Notte's singular win in the pre-season.

His landmark victory came against Long from ISU. He was the #1 seed, and I don't think many gave Patterson a chance. He actually dominated the kid (from what I hear...couldn't see the finals because of a daughter/daddy date that was already scheduled back in Tulsa).

Kendrick Maple was seeded third, and ended up third. He'll score points for us at the NCAAs.

Zach Bailey lost a tough one to Jamal Parks..who he'd beaten two weeks ago in Stillwater. Jamal will be a top four seed, so it wasn't a huge upset as Parks has beaten Bailey twice now this year.

Kyle Terry and Shane Vernon were both seeded #!, and both won their weight class.

Tyler Caldwell beat a kid in the consolation finals from OSU that had whipped him twice previously for third place.

Jeff James had the best match of the tournament in the consolation semi's (won in OT), and then lost in the consolation finals (again in OT).

Erick Schmidtke was a 5 seed who placed 4th.

Eric Lapotsky was seeded third, behind probably the two best kids at that weight. He lost to one of them, but schooled the OSU Cowboy who is an international freestyle star.

Nate Fernandez was seeded fifth and ended up fourth, but he also beat the returning NCAA National Champion HWT to do it.

We're not looking at winning it all. Probably the best we could do is 3rd, and that's if several teams ahead of us stumbled.

But I also don't think we finish outside the top eight, unless we completely and utterly just flop. And I can't see a Sammie Henson-coached team doing that.

Collier11
3/11/2010, 01:08 AM
we got our 10th ncaa qualifier today as one of our freshman was given an at large bid...thats everyone on the squad to the natl tourney

MiccoMacey
3/11/2010, 02:51 PM
125 - Patterson gets the #9 seed, and that hurts because he gets the #1 seed in the quarterfinals (if he wins his first two matches). His nine losses earlier in the season hurt him apparently, as he beat the #7 seed in the Big Twelve finals.

133 - Maple gets the #5 seed from Cal Poly (Novachkov) right off the bat. Novachkov beat Cannon from OU earlier in the season, so this may be their first heads up match. Kendrick is the Sooner alluded to earlier that got a wildcard from the committee...that's good. They see potential in his third place at the Big Twelves.

141 - Zack got a five seed, which puts him on Dake's side (the #1 seed), but keeps him away from Parks from OSU, who has beaten him twice this year already.

149 - Kyle terry got a #3 seed, which puts him on Metcalf's side (Metcalf got upset in the Big Ten finals). Should be a tough semi-final match, but if he can at least get there, he's an AA. The good news is he's on the opposite side of Palmer (#1 seed), who's beaten Terry twice this year already.

157 - Shane Vernon's a #10 seed, and meets #2 in the quarterfinals if he can get past Pami from Cal Poly. Pami beat Shane 4-1 inNorman earlier in the season.

165 - Tyler Caldwell gets #12 seed first, then hopefully meets #5 Sponseller from tOSU. He's got his work cut out for him, but I like the way he wrestled in teh Big Twelves.

174 - Jeff James has a pigtail match, then hopefully the #5 seed in Glasser from Minnesota. A tough match for sure.

184 - Erick Schmidtke has the #11 seed, then hopefully the #5 seed in Max Askren.

197 - Eric Lapotsky's a #6 seed, which is good because it puts him opposite Varner. The bad news is he's lost twice to Brester, who he will hopefully meet in the semi's.

HWT - Beating Ellis (the returning National Champion) in the Big Twelves didn't get Fernandez a seed, but I like his side of the bracket. He faces #10 and #7 seeds if he wins, which puts him against Rosholt. He's beaten Rosholt once this year already (and lost three times), and Rosholt just isn't as dominant as people are making him out to be (although he is undoubtedly the top three of the class).

All in all, not too bad. We've got a lot of young kids who are talented enough to win a few matches, and enough seniority to place a few AA candidates.

We're not coming in as a favorite, but we're almost assuredly going to do better than the last few years, and just as almost assuredly going to be in the top ten again.