PDA

View Full Version : Texas Recruiting

OU-chaps0825
2/15/2010, 02:49 PM
Texas is already getting verbal committments from some of the best of 2011. They got verbals from the highest rated DT, CB, and S. OU really needs to start winning the RRS.

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 02:50 PM
This is nothing new. Don't be alarmed.

Widescreen
2/15/2010, 03:04 PM
There are only a couple of their commits that we'd offered. I don't know if we didn't think they were good enough, if we knew they were going to UT, or if we're just that far behind the curve. But a lot of these guys only had offers from mid-major or lower tier major schools. Again, not sure what to make of that.

Harry Beanbag
2/15/2010, 03:57 PM
I actually like it when they fill up most of their class before summer. It makes Bob's job easier since he doesn't have to waste any time on the guys that are going to Texas no matter what.

sooner94
2/15/2010, 04:01 PM
I actually like it when they fill up most of their class before summer. It makes Bob's job easier since he doesn't have to waste any time on the guys that are going to Texas no matter what.

Excellent point.

And I think we do just fine in Texas. Every couple of years we seem to get the best 2 or 3 guys out of Texas. Hard to do that every year since these kids see burnt orange from the day they are born.

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 04:02 PM
Excellent point.

And I think we do just fine in Texas. Every couple of years we seem to get the best 2 or 3 guys out of Texas. Hard to do that every year since these kids see burnt orange from the day they are born.

You'd think that'd make it easy to get kids outta there, yuck! :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/15/2010, 04:04 PM
was sergio kindle's class the first one they did this with? would be interesting to see how they panned out. let me pull up the list and see how successful it has been.

owenfieldreams
2/15/2010, 04:07 PM
I am told that the relatively new non-coaching member of our staff who now coordinates our recruiting effort has recommended that we hold our junior day after UT and when their commitments fall, we eliminate these youngsters from our list, rather than wasting time trying to recruit them.

The assumption is that these are Texas kids who are going to UT regardless and we need to go after kids who we have a shot at & who want to come to OU.This is second hand info so I cannot validate it but it makes sense.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/15/2010, 04:16 PM
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=1&school=81&year=2006#page1

47straight
2/15/2010, 04:23 PM

What'd be more interesting (and work) would be how many of those guys signed on SignItNowOrWe'llDropTheOff- ERRR - Junior Day, and how those guys panned out.

Harry Beanbag
2/15/2010, 04:37 PM

You know what player from that class OU needed the most?

Yep, it was the kicker, Hunter Lawrence. :) :O

Sabanball
2/15/2010, 05:10 PM
Texas doing well in recruiting is like shooting fish in a barrel-- Like a previous poster said, it's nothing new and to be expected. They do this EVERY year, even before Mr. February got there.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/15/2010, 05:15 PM
What'd be more interesting (and work) would be how many of those guys signed on SignItNowOrWe'llDropTheOff- ERRR - Junior Day, and how those guys panned out.

i looked through there and wasn't all that impressed. a lot of journeymen anchored by kindle. one of the more interesting things was looking at our class from texas that year and how woeful the production was outside of jeremy beal (the eval pick). now, outside of texas that year, we did pretty frickin good.

trwxxa
2/15/2010, 05:52 PM
They have another junior day on the 27th. They will offer a few more plus give the ones who were offered this past weekend but did not commit another chance to interview

By the way, here is a breakdown of what transpired, compliments of those at TexAgs.

Committed:
David Ash - Belton - QB
Joe Bergeron - Mesquite - RB
Jaxon Shipley - Brownwood - WR
Miles Onyegbule - Arlington - WR
M.J. McFarland - El Paso El Dorado - TE
Josh Cochran - Hallsville - OL
Taylor Doyle - Lake Travis - OL
Desmond Jackson - Spring Westfield - DT
Chet Moss - Cedar Park - LB
Leroy Scott - South Houston - CB
Sheroid Evans - Sugar Land Dulles - CB
Mykkele Thompson - San Antonio Stevens - ATH
Marcus Hutchins - DeSoto - OL

Not sure of status:
Malcolm Brown - Cibolo Steele - RB
Marquise Anderson - Cibolo Steele - DT
Steve Edmond - Daingerfield - LB
Anthony Wallace - Dallas Skyline - LB
Jermauria Rasco - Sherevport Evangel DE
Dionte McDuffy - Sherevport Evangel DB

Offered, but did not commit:
Aaron Green - San Antonio Madison - RB
Sedrick Flowers - Galena Park North Shore - OL
Christian Westerman - Chandler (Ariz.) Hamilton - OL
Cedric Reed - Cleveland - DE

Did not attend:
Devon Hocutt - Killeen Ellison - LB
Trevon Randle - Clear Springs - LB

Not offered:
Nathan Hughes - Klein Oak - DE

Herr Scholz
2/15/2010, 08:13 PM
Texas basically brought in their 22-player draft board and offered all of them. 13 accepted. 9 offers outstanding (around 6 of these expected to commit with Texas finishing the class with a few OOS prospects).

Accepted:

QB - Ash
FB - Bergeron
OL - Doyle, Cochran and Hutchins
TE - McFarland
WR - Shipley and Onyegbule

DT - Jackson
LB - Moss
CB - Scott and Thompson (listed as ATH)
S - Evans

Offered but didn't accept:

RB - Brown and Green
OL - Flowers and Westerman
DT - Anderson
DE - Reed and Rasco (no offer to Hughes)
LB - Wallace and Edmond

KiiDSooNER
2/15/2010, 09:56 PM
Don't worry about the guys that Texas brought in. The only guy that'll hurt us is Desmond Jackson. He's the top ranked DT in the nation, but remember, we brought in a ton of defensive tackles in 2010.

We have a great shot at Trey Metoyer, who is ranked as the third best prospect in Texas. He says he wants to play early, and has listed us as his favorite as of right now. Gotta love our chances to get him.

Texas is loaded with running backs this year. You know at least one of them will be coming to OU.

Oklahoma has a lot of prospects coming out this year. Plus, we've been able to recruit in other states and with Willie Martinez in as a our DB coach, he'll be able to nab some guys down in Georgia.

Herr Scholz
2/16/2010, 01:34 AM
OU always recruits well. That won't change. You guys can easily go national if need be. Very impressed with your FLA, KS and CA recruits this year.

JLEW1818
2/16/2010, 07:35 AM
OU-ut will always have similar talent

all about the field

goingoneight
2/16/2010, 09:44 AM
If there ever is a rough February for :mack:, then something is or has been seriously wrong in Asstin.

Soonermagik
2/16/2010, 09:18 PM
According to Scout we beat Texas in recruiting this year. Look, recruiting stars and rankings are subjective and aren't always right. They had Sam Bradford as a 3 star player.

At the end of the day, OU almost always has a top 10 class. As long as we are getting top 10 classes the talent is going to be pretty similar. The biggest keys to winning are coaching, player work ethic and desire.

Curly Bill
2/16/2010, 11:37 PM
If you're getting a top 10 caliber class year in and year out, you're going to be in the hunt year in and year out on the field as well. Beyond that, delving too much into these recruiting rankings just doesn't mean much, and I say that as someone who is big into following this stuff.

Curly Bill
2/16/2010, 11:40 PM
If you're getting a top 10 caliber recruiting class year in and year out, then you're going to be in the hunt on the field year in and year out. To try and break it down beyond that is just not very meaningful, though I must admit to being somewhat fascinated by the whole recruiting game.

SoonerAtKU
2/17/2010, 01:01 PM
Chet Moss is a hell of a name. Sounds like Chance Mock.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/17/2010, 04:17 PM
my biggest issue with the statement that "there is a strong correlation between recruiting rankings and results on the field" is that correlation doesn't define causality.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=1&school=57&year=2006#page1

sam bradford had very little effect on our overall recruiting ranking in 2006, yet he had one of the largest impacts on on the field results. adron tennell was #2 on our recruiting rankings, and well...

as a matter of a fact, our team's relative power is more based on our eval picks than on our "guru" picks.

Collier11
2/18/2010, 12:58 AM
The whole thing with some players not even being ranked until they commit to a certain team or their rating goes up if they commit to a certain team should tell you how legit the rankings are anyway

Desert Sapper
2/18/2010, 01:49 PM
1. We used to be the best at recruiting Texas talent, because Texas didn't used to recruit black athletes.

2. The best players on both sides of red river generally aren't 5 star recruits (notable recent exceptions - Sergio Kindle from the bad guys and GK from the good guys).

3. We are doing a much better job of bringing in in-state standouts and it is paying off (Bradford, GK, Gresh, Broyles, etc.).

4. We are doing a decent job of bringing in stars from other states, which may pay big dividends for some (Frank Alexander - LA, Dejuan Miller - NJ, Landry Jones - NM, Cameron Kenney - GA) and maybe not so much for others.

5. Recruiting rankings are bull****.

That is all.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/18/2010, 02:45 PM
1. We used to be the best at recruiting Texas talent, because Texas didn't used to recruit black athletes.

2. The best players on both sides of red river generally aren't 5 star recruits (notable recent exceptions - Sergio Kindle from the bad guys and GK from the good guys).

3. We are doing a much better job of bringing in in-state standouts and it is paying off (Bradford, GK, Gresh, Broyles, etc.).

4. We are doing a decent job of bringing in stars from other states, which may pay big dividends for some (Frank Alexander - LA, Dejuan Miller - NJ, Landry Jones - NM, Cameron Kenney - GA) and maybe not so much for others.

5. Recruiting rankings are bull****.

That is all.

i think of it a different way -

is the current recruiting class "strong"? - you hear this a lot in draft circles but never in recruiting circles. this is the relative strength of classes year over year.

is the class being weighted this year towards skill or athleticism? its a gamble either way, but in general, guys who know how to play the game are much better college players than those who are truly athletic.

i'll bet the recruiting services could make a mint if they actually mined their data and figured out what the characteristics of a good college player were. i'll bet things like visits, the way they conduct recruiting, etc would be pretty good predictors.

IronHorseSooner
2/20/2010, 10:05 AM
Like some others on here have said, on one hand, there are teams like *, FLA, and SUC that are statewide recruiters due to demographics. There are other teams, such as Notre Dame and BYU, that are national recruiters due to their religious ties, or Nebraska is out of necessity. We have become something in-between. We are a regional program, with some national recruits sprinkled into the mix. Look at us pulling in the top three recruits in Kansas, three of the top recruits in SoCal, and one of the better players in Missouri. Northern Texas has always been a more fertile ground for us than *. Now we have got some out-of-state guys who have ties back to Oklahoma such as Dejuan Miller and Roy Finch. I would venture to say that we did better at recruiting the top players in Kansas than we did recruiting the top kids in state. In basketball, ironically, it is reversed, where Kansas is more like us in football- regional talent with a smattering of guys from California and back East.

MojoRisen
2/20/2010, 01:28 PM
It is all about coaching, ** can only take 20-25 players... Texas has many more football players than that..

If we can hit Kansas, Mizzou, OKLA, Arkansas and Texas - throw in Cali and Florida... We pretty much dominate as it is.. only 11 can play at once and 22 can start - throw in a rotation and well - we are talking about 1000 D1 Prospects and less than 2-3% are productive... Who are they

freshchris05
2/20/2010, 01:46 PM
It was nice to see alot of top recruits coming from states where we usually don't get our nose into... I was surprised to not see recruits from Vegas or Louisiana.

IronHorseSooner
2/21/2010, 09:28 AM
It was nice to see alot of top recruits coming from states where we usually don't get our nose into... I was surprised to not see recruits from Vegas or Louisiana.

The closest we got to a Vegas recruit was Grimble, which I was a bit shocked that he didn't follow RR, DM, Carter, or Chaisson here. We went after a few other places in the South, but it is getting harder and harder to get guys out of there. We got Finch because he used to live in the OKC area, and I think he has family there. To make up for not getting more Vegas guys, we got the three SoCal guys.