PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat

oudavid1
2/15/2010, 10:47 AM
Ok, so we ran the "Wildcat" a little last year, though it wasn't really effective due to the number of times we ran it but I was wondering...should we use it a little more and what cool name can we call it?

salth2o
2/15/2010, 11:08 AM
I am not a huge fan of the Wildcat formation and hope it is used very little next season. Call it the Single or Double Wing...since that's what it really is.

MojoRisen
2/15/2010, 11:29 AM
The Single Gun Schooner

goingoneight
2/15/2010, 11:31 AM
Why don't we just call it a waste of a down?

"Ooh... a running back is taking the snap! I wonder what they're gonna do!?!"

KantoSooner
2/15/2010, 11:43 AM
The only time I can see it being effective for us is if the RB pulls up and throws or if you split your QB out wide and then the RB throws a screen to him and he throws downfield.......
And both options seem so fraught with problems that I'd be iffy on spending a down on either.

MojoRisen
2/15/2010, 11:46 AM
The Idea is to have options and misdirection and an extra blocker in the box.

goingoneight
2/15/2010, 11:47 AM
It just seems so cheap and predictable for all of the ESPN blowhards that say it's "revolutionized" the game. The direct-snap has been around forever... not until a few teams puked down their legs against Miami's "wildcat" did it become anything more than a gimmick. It still is.

oudavid1
2/15/2010, 11:48 AM
Well I dont dilike or like it alot but i think its effective as far as defenses not being ready for it, and I like the name "The Six Gun" the most. And ill bet Demarco can throw one deep to Landry!

KantoSooner
2/15/2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure I like having our starting QB out there for some 'Roy' type db to knock into the next area code.
Just saying.....

BASSooner
2/15/2010, 12:50 PM
I think I said this in a previous post, it's too predictable. I'd rather run the option most of the time with a QB that has wheels. Just sayin

Pricetag
2/15/2010, 12:56 PM
When OU tries something tricky, it looks like they're just going through the motions, like they don't believe in it. Despite the speed burners we have had at receiver, our reverses are the slowest-looking plays ever, a whole bunch of running for a three-yard gain. The Wildcat was the same deal when we ran it. I'd rather we just line up and push the ball down their throats via the standard run or pass.

salth2o
2/15/2010, 01:22 PM
It just seems so cheap and predictable for all of the ESPN blowhards that say it's "revolutionized" the game. The direct-snap has been around forever... not until a few teams puked down their legs against Miami's "wildcat" did it become anything more than a gimmick. It still is.

THIS^^^

The single and double wing formations have been used FOR-EV-ER!

goingoneight
2/15/2010, 01:35 PM
I mean, if it works and the MNC is on the line... it's a "brilliant call."

Hell, if it works on 4th and short with 1:00 left in the 6-6 bowl... it's a good call to keep a drive alive. But let's not act like it's anything more than a QB draw at best.

MeMyself&Me
2/15/2010, 01:55 PM
Like someone else pointed out, it's just the old single/double wing... nothing new. Literally, it's been around for over 100 years and used to be the base offense for MOST teams. It's not a gimmick, it's a different philosophy in how an offense works that results in an extra blocker on running plays.

I don't think anyone thinks a team, or our team in particular, should take this on full time but and I do see how someone would say plays out of the wildcat are more predictable if you don't have a runningback that can throw a pass but in the situations where everyone in the stadium knows you're going to run anyway, like 3rd or 4th and short, I have no problems with it at all. And there's more to stopping the wildcat offense than just knowing that they're going to run.

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 02:10 PM
Like many others have said: unless the RB is a threat to do someting other than run, it's pretty much crap.

oudavid1
2/15/2010, 02:41 PM
Someones got to explain to me what "MNC" means...

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 02:48 PM
Mythical National Championship

oudavid1
2/15/2010, 02:51 PM
Mythical National Championship

Oh, thanks. I don't really get why you guys call it "Mythical" but I figured what NC stood for.

rainiersooner
2/15/2010, 02:55 PM
Oh, thanks. I don't really get why you guys call it "Mythical" but I figured what NC stood for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythical_national_championship

oudavid1
2/15/2010, 03:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythical_national_championship

Ohhhhhh, I'm an idiot

Collier11
2/15/2010, 03:59 PM
If we are going to run it we need to commit to it. It seems like we go out there and run it half azzed and it rarely works for us. The proof is in the pudding that it works as we have seen all over CFB and the NFL

KantoSooner
2/15/2010, 04:48 PM
One reason it looked kind of, well, bad, last season is that we had poor run blocking. If you disguise it well and have good hole opening, I suppose it might save you 0.25 seconds or so and thus allow you to....

Nope. I still don't want to fool with it. Want a trick play? make a really trick play (a hook and lateral type thingie) and pull it out two or three times a season at most.

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 04:57 PM
One reason it looked kind of, well, bad, last season is that we had poor run blocking. If you disguise it well and have good hole opening, I suppose it might save you 0.25 seconds or so and thus allow you to....

Nope. I still don't want to fool with it. Want a trick play? make a really trick play (a hook and lateral type thingie) and pull it out two or three times a season at most.

If whomever the wildcat back is, is no threat at all to do anything but run with the ball there goes the disguise and that's exactly the way we did it. In that manner, it's not the least bit tricky, nor is it even sound.

Sooner04
2/15/2010, 05:11 PM
Lance Bass, rhythmic gymnastics and Oliver from The Brady Bunch.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/carnacthemagnificent.jpg

Name three things less gay than the Wildcat Formation.

okienator
2/15/2010, 06:13 PM
Only one name wOUld work and thats the BOB CAT.

oudavid1
2/16/2010, 02:31 AM
Only one name wOUld work and thats the BOB CAT.

That's just sexy, thank yOU!

Leroy Lizard
2/16/2010, 02:37 AM
Bobcat has my vote.

Leroy Lizard
2/16/2010, 02:45 AM
There's a similar thread running in one of the soccer forums. It goes like this:

Poster 1: I really like that offense where our guy kicks it into the goal.

Poster 2: But is it as good as the play where our guy kicks it to one of our other guys, who kicks it into the goal?

Poster 1: Dude, that one's been around for literally 400 years.

boomermagic
2/17/2010, 12:00 PM
I don't use mythical.. Hell, It's the only NC college football has so to me It's not mythical at all.. It's THE NC...

oudavid1
2/17/2010, 12:13 PM
I don't use mythical.. Hell, It's the only NC college football has so to me It's not mythical at all.. It's THE NC...

Thank You

silverwheels
2/17/2010, 04:03 PM

The NCAA recognizes Villanova's national championship from this past season, but not Alabama's, therefore you could argue that they won THE NC.

Leroy Lizard
2/17/2010, 09:00 PM
The NCAA?

oudavid1
2/22/2010, 12:44 AM
we always get off topic.