PDA

View Full Version : Kenn Starr Named President of Baylor

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2010, 10:00 AM
Former Special Prosecutor was named the new President and CEO of Baylor University this morning.

Wow. I mean...wow.

Frozen Sooner
2/15/2010, 10:09 AM
Heck of a lawyer. His name pops up in cases we study all the time.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2010, 10:16 AM
It0H7Gq4UT4

C&CDean
2/15/2010, 10:35 AM
And this is a problem how?

OUDoc
2/15/2010, 10:38 AM
CEO?

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2010, 10:48 AM
CEO?

Yes. Baylor is a for profit institution and the President is also the CEO.

OUDoc
2/15/2010, 10:58 AM
Just like Platt College. ;)

SanJoaquinSooner
2/15/2010, 11:32 AM
As a kid, did he go to Falls Creek?

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2010, 11:39 AM
As a kid, did he go to Falls Creek?

He's not even Baptist.

I think that, at least, is a good thing.

proud gonzo
2/15/2010, 11:47 AM
I sometimes wonder why you post on SOONERfans...

badger
2/15/2010, 11:52 AM
He's not even Baptist.

I think that, at least, is a good thing.

Neither is Ernie Istook, a former Oklahoma Congressman, yet he went to Baylor :)

I hope he gets sideline passes next football season so he can see firsthand the real Big 12 team on the rise next season ;)

John Kochtoston
2/15/2010, 12:34 PM
Dude must be getting an assload of bucks to move from Malibu to Waco.

OUDoc
2/15/2010, 01:02 PM
c_Uj1u86lrE

Chuck Bao
2/15/2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting this Sic'em. I hadn't heard that.

I am hoping that Kenn Starr can stop some of the incessant political squabbling between the conservative religious types and the moderate religious types at Baylor. A strong board of regents (composed of mjaor donors) and a weak president hasn't helped Baylor over the last 5-10 years.

I agree with you Sic'em that Kenn Starr not being Baptist looks promising.

OklahomaTuba
2/15/2010, 02:21 PM
I see discrimination and bigotry is alive and well here on the south oval today.

So explain why it would be promising???

Would you say the same thing if he were Jewish or Muslim??

StoopTroup
2/15/2010, 02:30 PM
This should be good.

Frozen Sooner
2/15/2010, 02:33 PM
Oh, good. I foresee post deletions followed by hours of crying.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2010, 03:07 PM
<Tuba>I must play the victim card! NOW!!!!!!</Tuba>

Chuck Bao
2/15/2010, 03:20 PM
I see discrimination and bigotry is alive and well here on the south oval today.

So explain why it would be promising???

Would you say the same thing if he were Jewish or Muslim??

Tuba, you are crazy. The world's largest Baptist university hiring a Jewish or Muslim president? Seriously?

I have said this here before. I went to Baylor because it was the second cheapest private university in the US and a very good bargain for quality of education and reputation. I got my first job in the stock market because of the reputation of Baylor.

A lot has changed since then. The tele-evangelists scandals have severely cut down on donations. The medical school has disassociated itself from Baylor. There has been the split in the Southern Baptist Convention and the politics from that riff have been reverberating throughout Baylor since. The conservatives want to keep Baylor as a religious-oriented university and they see quality of education as a subset of their Christian belief system. The moderates want to allow for more freedom in thinking and questioning as should be afforded in a higher education. Both think that Baylor's future academic ranking should be based on their vision and ability to pull in future donar money because they are both stubborn that way. The thing got really ugly just last year with the board of regents trying to take over the alumni association. No, I take that back. The worst of it was denying tenure several years ago to professors willing to speak up and fight for academic freedom of thought.

Most of you probably don't care one bit about Baylor, but some of these issues are playing out at every university.

Sic'em knows much better than I do. Maybe he can give a better assessment.

Veritas
2/15/2010, 03:44 PM
**** yeah! To hell with all atheists, Christians, Muslims, and Zoroastrians. You can all kiss my agnostic theist ***!

SanJoaquinSooner
2/15/2010, 03:45 PM
... severely cut down on donations. .

My guess is, this is what a Ken Starr appointment is all about. Univ presidents spend most of their time on fund raising. I would think Starr could bring in the bucks.

Veritas
2/15/2010, 03:46 PM
My guess is, this is what a Ken Starr appointment is all about. Univ presidents spend most of their time on fund raising. I would think Starr could bring in the bucks.
And if he has to, he can find out who's been getting illicit beej's from college kids and blackmail them. Hiyo!

JohnnyMack
2/15/2010, 03:51 PM
**** yeah! To hell with all atheists, Christians, Muslims, and Zoroastrians. You can all kiss my agnostic theist ***!

Eat my shorts, fence sitter!!!!!!!!

Ike
2/15/2010, 04:14 PM
If I ever go to Waco for another game, I'll be the one in a "Bong hits 4 Jesus" t-shirt.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/15/2010, 05:02 PM
He's not even Baptist.

That's right. He's Church of Christ. That's almost funny.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2010, 05:39 PM
Neither is Ernie Istook, a former Oklahoma Congressman, yet he went to Baylor :)

I hope he gets sideline passes next football season so he can see firsthand the real Big 12 team on the rise next season ;)

Istook is just an alumnus not being hired as President. Most Baylor students aren't Baptist (though Baptist is by far the largest denomination) -- hell, I'm not even Baptist.

It's a very big deal to hire a non-Baptist as President.

Anyway, I'd also point out that former Congressman Brad Carson is also a Baylor graduate so at one time 2/5 of Oklahoma's representatives were Baylor grads.

AlbqSooner
2/15/2010, 05:51 PM
at one time 2/5 of Oklahoma's representatives were Baylor grads.

So THAT'S why you post on Soonerfans.com:D

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2010, 05:56 PM

Actually, my guess is that his hire has more to do with promoting the law school and trying to heal divisions between various factions within Baylor.

Chuck Bao
2/15/2010, 06:15 PM
Actually, my guess is that his hire has more to do with promoting the law school and trying to heal divisions between various factions within Baylor.

I agree. But, if he can do these things plus raise new money for Baylor, then he would be a great hire, Baptist or not

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2010, 07:06 PM
I agree. But, if he can do these things plus raise new money for Baylor, then he would be a great hire, Baptist or not

Totally agreed.

I think his hire will positively benefit the law school. I also think that not being Baptist may bridge the divide between the various Baylor factions, and God knows he has the contacts to do some serious fundraising.

The negative though is that he's a very controversial figure and his hire could politicize the administration in a way that it shouldn't be.