PDA

View Full Version : Great weekend to be a Sooner!

bri
2/15/2010, 12:22 AM
I know everyone's down because of the men's basketball team's problems, but this is actually a great time to be a Sooner. There was wall-to-wall action in Norman this weekend, and our teams didn't lose a single home event. On Friday, 45th-ranked men's tennis beat 50th-ranked Arkansas 7-0, our top-ranked women's gymnastics team beat 16th-ranked Iowa State 197.250-196.225 (their highest point total since '04) and our 9th-ranked wrestling squad absolutely dominated UT-Chattanooga 33-3.

Saturday saw our 12th-ranked women's basketball team run away and hide from unranked Colorado 65-55 and our 3rd-ranked men's gymnastics squad rout 9th-ranked Nebraska 356.500-335.450. It was their second victory over Nebraska this season and their third straight win over a top 10 opponent.

Today the 55th-ranked women's tennis team beat unranked Penn State 7-0 to run their record to 5-0 on the season, their best start since '05. And wrestling beat 15th-ranked Oregon State 25-6 on Senior Day to finish off the weekend.

And that was just what was happening in Norman. Our 9th-ranked men's track & field team and 19th-ranked women's track & field team split up and took part in three different meets over the weekend, winning several events. And our 11th-ranked softball team went to Orlando to open the spring schedule with wins over unranked Florida International and UT-Chattanooga on Saturday before dropping a tough game to 16th-ranked Tennessee 4-2 today.

I know everyone's all worked up over the disappointing season our men's basketball team is having, myself included. But the fact is, that is currently our ONLY unranked team. Of the ten sports that are currently in season, OU is ranked in nine of them. Once baseball gets underway this week, that goes up to ten of eleven. Of those, four are currently in the top 10: Women's gymnastics at #1, men's gymnastics at #3, wrestling at #9 and men's track & field at #9. Not bad, for a football school. :D

StoopTroup
2/15/2010, 12:29 AM
Good Stuff Bri.

Hopefully Nick will come around and give us the real scoop on it all. ;)