PDA

View Full Version : CFN take on +exas to BigXI

PLaw
2/14/2010, 09:23 AM
Hmmm, you can bet the new conference's championship game will not be South of the Red. Detroit?? Chicago?? Indy?? Wonder if dumb-*** Deloss has thought through that one.

Long article and it will not all paste here, but if you want to the full story, here's the link: http://cfn.scout.com/2/945794.html

BOOMER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CFN Analysis - Texas To The Big Ten?!

By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Feb 11, 2010

| More

Could the Big Ten really add Texas as a 12th team? Would it be worth if for UT to leave the Big 12? What would the newly formed league look like? According to reports, the Big Ten is trying to talk to Texas about coming aboard, and the CFN writers wonder what might happen if the two merge.

CFN Analysis - Texas To The Big Ten?

Could UT really leave the Big 12?

Pete Fiutak

It makes more sense than you might think.

It might seem like a reach for the Big Ten to just assume it can go out and pluck the golden goose that is the Texas athletic department (oh yeah, and a solid academic institution, too), but the dollars involved could be out of this world for all sides.

The issue for Texas isn’t whether or not to stay in the Big 12; the issue is why it needs the Big 12, or any conference, at all. It’s not like the Big 12 is a tradition-filled league that goes back 100 years, and it’s not like Texas has an automatic rivalry with most of the teams in the league. Remember, Texas merged in from the Southwest Conference and has more of a history with Arkansas, TCU, and SMU than it does with Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado. The school and the athletic programs have gotten so big, so rich, and so powerful that the brand name in the state is like the New York Yankees. There could be a Texas Television Network (remember, UT is a monster in other sports, too), and there’s no reason financially to not go independent, keep Oklahoma and Texas A&M on the schedule, and become another Notre Dame.

But from an academic and research side, joining the Big Ten would be a major step up from the Big 12 while the revenue created by making the league even bigger would create a windfall that would benefit everyone. Of course the first thought would be the geography with Texas not being all that close to most of the Big Ten schools, at least compared to Missouri or Pitt, but the travel part of the equation isn’t all that bad.

Travel is travel, and while fans won’t be able to pack up in the car and drive to the game, it’s not like the flight is that big a deal for the teams. It’s roughly 3:20 non-stop from Detroit to Austin, or an hour longer than the flight from Columbus to Minneapolis. How long do you think it takes Texas A&M to fly to Omaha, or Missouri to fly to Lubbock?

It’s not like there would have to be a major change in scheduling since Texas is in the Central time zone, the TV people would be ecstatic, and the Big Ten would take a major step forward to challenging the SEC for the honor of being the nation’s top conference.

And then there’s the Big 12.

There’s no way to replace Texas. TCU just doesn’t cut it size-wise, raiding Utah for the Utes or BYU would be a step, but not a big enough one, and Colorado State only makes geographical sense. Basically, the Big 12 would be screwed.

Instead of addition, the Big 12 might be best served to contract if it loses Texas. Instead of adding some mid-range program, it might be better for the league to drop Baylor, a former SWC program, become the true Big 10 and play a round-robin schedule like the Pac 10, ramp up the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry again, and still be a factor by playing better non-conference matchups.

Texas to the Big Ten is a cool idea for all parties involved, but it’s too big and too wacky to happen. But if it did, the divisions would likely be …

East – Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue
West – Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Texas, Wisconsin

Richard Cirminiello

They do everything big in Texas, but this would be b-i-g on so many different fronts.

Although it makes no geographic sense and probably won’t happen, gobs of money have a way of doing funny things to people. Already one of the wealthiest programs in college football, imagine what would happen to the bottom line if the ‘Horns could spread their brand to the Midwest. Sans the Big 12, of course, everyone, from the Big Ten to the Big Ten Network would see the size of the pie increase dramatically with the addition of one of the nation’s true powerhouses. Naturally, the ripple effect would create an aftershock that could potentially impact every other conference in the FBS.

If Texas relocates, the Big 12 would be forced to act swiftly, possibly luring TCU out of the Mountain West and maintaining some presence in the region. With a key brick removed from the foundation, the Mountain West would be more vulnerable than ever, making it susceptible to the Pac-10, which is also contemplating expansion. What happens if, say, Utah and BYU decide to jump ship and join a far more stable league? In the blink of an eye, commissioner Craig Thompson would go from lobbying for an automatic BCS bowl bid to trying to avoid extinction.

Again, it’s doubtful Texas will leave its base in the Big 12. However, considering what’s at stake for the entire landscape of college football, it’s worth monitoring the school’s behavior in the coming weeks and months. The Longhorns are in a clear position of power and leverage, and if they decide to throw their weight around, it could create a cataclysmic shift, like nothing the sport has ever witnessed.

Matt Zemek

1) This is something worth talking about just because we’re approaching a tipping point in the way big-ticket college sports are structured. It’s hard to think that Texas really will join the Big Ten, but let’s entertain the notion and play along for a bit.

If Bevo hoofed it to the Upper Midwest, it wouldn’t be hard to imagine the Big Ten aiming to become a 16-team superconference akin to what the Big East already is in basketball. The notion that Texas would travel to Ann Arbor and Columbus would be hard to stomach unless some geographical balance could be introduced to the Big Ten. This would bring Nebraska and Missouri and another current Big 12 school (maybe two others, or maybe another school currently residing in yet another league) into the mix.

Another consideration that immediately comes to mind is that in the short term, a 12-team Big Ten (with Texas) would have a big problem with annual scheduling. Teams that would draw the Longhorns on the eight-game Big Ten slate would receive the short end of the stick. Accordingly, the three teams not located on the Texas schedule would gain a huge leg up in the race for a Big Ten title and/or a bowl bid. The situation with Texas would be quite contentious, to say the least. A lot of other dominoes would fall in connection with a Longhorn migration to this particular power conference.

2) The other obvious consequence of a Texas move to the Big Ten is that the Big 12 would need to find a new team. Given that Colorado is on the Pac-10’s radar screen for possible expansion (perhaps not in the center of the radar screen, but definitely on it), it’s undeniable that a Texas travel plan would unleash a chain reaction in other power conferences, radically reshaping college athletics as we have come to know it. It seems as though King Football and Big Basketball

SoonerBacker
2/14/2010, 11:32 AM
If the *horns want to leave, let 'em go! But if they do, I say end the games with them. If they feel that the Big XII isn't worthy of them, then cut them off completely. I love the annual game in Dallas, but I am sick of * acting as though the universe revolves around them. In short, F *!

Flagstaffsooner
2/14/2010, 11:34 AM
I agree, AMF texass.

Harry Beanbag
2/14/2010, 11:40 AM
East – Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue
West – Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Texas, Wisconsin

I'm calling a big no ****ing way to this.

StoopTroup
2/14/2010, 01:30 PM
Ending our Red River ties would really lock in that 5 seasons in a row ***-whooping we put on their ***. I'm actually good with knowing we had two 60 point + ***-whoopings during that time and then the plane banner thing really sheds light on why they really want to leave. It's because of their egos and that they are at the brink of us expanding the 5 season record to 6 to 10 years in a row. No whorn could possibly take that much punishment.

rainiersooner
2/14/2010, 01:34 PM
IMO, the Big XII would not be worth squat without either OU or Texas. These two programs have accounted for 6 of the last 10 BCS national championship games. I'm not suggesting that we revere Texas and march in step with them - I do think though that if they were to leave we should explore all options with respect to our continued participation in the Big XII.

StoopTroup
2/14/2010, 01:36 PM
OU/Nebraska > than OU/whorn

Beating the whorns is fun.

Beating Nebraska is serious business.

Jacie
2/14/2010, 02:33 PM
OU/Nebraska > than OU/whorn

Beating the whorns is fun.

Beating Nebraska is serious business.

I think this used to be true but since the formation of the Big XII, beating sa*et has taken on new meaning. It is true that losing to them has not prevented OU from claiming the South Division, it is much easier to do so with a win. The nebbish, however, sunk to new lows for them and that game became much less important until we faced them in the championship game.

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 02:35 PM
If UT is going to threaten leaving every year, maybe OU needs to get out first.

rainiersooner
2/14/2010, 03:00 PM
If UT is going to threaten leaving every year, maybe OU needs to get out first.

^^^This

All options should be on the table. For selfish reasons, I'd love to join the PAC 10...I could see a lot more OU games.

JLEW1818
2/14/2010, 04:01 PM
pac 10 would be better than the sec

with the time change. at least we would benefit more going west, than east... right?

silverwheels
2/14/2010, 04:32 PM
We wouldn't be able to get into the SEC, anyway. I can't see any of their member institutions being willing to step aside for us, and they won't expand past 12 or things would get messy from a scheduling standpoint.

rainiersooner
2/14/2010, 05:35 PM
We wouldn't be able to get into the SEC, anyway. I can't see any of their member institutions being willing to step aside for us, and they won't expand past 12 or things would get messy from a scheduling standpoint.

Agree - that's why the only two BCS conferences even talking about re-allignment are the PAC10 and Big10.

I think it would be really fascinating to have Texas and OU join the PAC10, Nebraska to the Big 10 and then the Big12 could fend for itself and try to pick up some non-BCS schools like BYU, Boise State, TCU etc. Basically the Big XII has three tradition rich and successful programs, and then everyone else, so why are we staying together?

StoopTroup
2/14/2010, 05:40 PM
^^^This

All options should be on the table. For selfish reasons, I'd love to join the PAC 10...I could see a lot more OU games.

I'm going to call bull****.

OU Fans travel well for Big XII Venues. If you think we'd be better off leaving the Big XII for the Pac-10....you've lost your mind. Our guys and our Coach are all about the Fans rooting and being a part of the Sooner Experience every year. When you make it even more of a challenge for Fans to travel to away games....you'll hurt the Football Program IMO. The Big XII is a product of the Region of Schools. It is expensive to travel and as we saw last year...a Home Game is definitely a much better situation than a Road Game. Barry Switzer even knew this and he continues to this day to preach that the RRSO is not a neutral venue.

What your saying is a very bad idea for those of us who live and breathe Sooner Football and travel to many of these Big XII Road Games. You'll never see me traveling to Pac-10 venues like I do to Big XII Venues. You might see some OU fans at them...but you'll see a lot less of them and a lot less kids who would be there holding up their finger chanting "There's Only One".

Eventually the folks who make decisions at +exas will figure out that what they are doing is a really bad idea just like they did with the Cotton Bowl. They would be walking away from known traditions for the unknown and again become the new kid in the Conference. They might be tempted by money I guess but they'll be sorry they left the Big XII. What a bunch of idiots. Same for Colorado and Mizzou should they continue to spew this BS.

bluedogok
2/14/2010, 06:32 PM
^^^This

I believe he was speaking for himself living in Pac 10 country, not about OU fans overall.

StoopTroup
2/14/2010, 06:36 PM
I believe he was speaking for himself living in Pac 10 country, not about OU fans overall.

I hope so. I've read just about all the crackhead comments I can stand today. :D

SoonerMom2
2/14/2010, 09:41 PM
If the *horns want to leave, let 'em go! But if they do, I say end the games with them. If they feel that the Big XII isn't worthy of them, then cut them off completely. I love the annual game in Dallas, but I am sick of * acting as though the universe revolves around them. In short, F *!

I second that -- we should drop the series if they drop the Big 12! Want to see the Horns play up north in some of the fall weather -- that would be worth watching.

Sick and tired of whiney Mack Brown so if they want to go don't let the door hit them on the way out. Arkansas might want to leave the SEC and go with schools closer to them which would give their fans increased interest IMHO.

silverwheels
2/14/2010, 10:06 PM
I second that -- we should drop the series if they drop the Big 12! Want to see the Horns play up north in some of the fall weather -- that would be worth watching.

Sick and tired of whiney Mack Brown so if they want to go don't let the door hit them on the way out. Arkansas might want to leave the SEC and go with schools closer to them which would give their fans increased interest IMHO.

Arkansas isn't going to leave all of the money that they're making in the SEC.

stoopified
2/14/2010, 10:32 PM
If the Orange Cows want out,let them go.In that case I say OU goes the the independent route,let the Big 12 make other plans.I concur with dropping the UTerds from our future.

StoopTroup
2/14/2010, 10:46 PM
Independent would be better than joining the Pac-10

rainiersooner
2/14/2010, 11:30 PM

OU Fans travel well for Big XII Venues. If you think we'd be better off leaving the Big XII for the Pac-10....you've lost your mind. Our guys and our Coach are all about the Fans rooting and being a part of the Sooner Experience every year. When you make it even more of a challenge for Fans to travel to away games....you'll hurt the Football Program IMO. The Big XII is a product of the Region of Schools. It is expensive to travel and as we saw last year...a Home Game is definitely a much better situation than a Road Game. Barry Switzer even knew this and he continues to this day to preach that the RRSO is not a neutral venue.

What your saying is a very bad idea for those of us who live and breathe Sooner Football and travel to many of these Big XII Road Games. You'll never see me traveling to Pac-10 venues like I do to Big XII Venues. You might see some OU fans at them...but you'll see a lot less of them and a lot less kids who would be there holding up their finger chanting "There's Only One".

Eventually the folks who make decisions at +exas will figure out that what they are doing is a really bad idea just like they did with the Cotton Bowl. They would be walking away from known traditions for the unknown and again become the new kid in the Conference. They might be tempted by money I guess but they'll be sorry they left the Big XII. What a bunch of idiots. Same for Colorado and Mizzou should they continue to spew this BS.

That's why I said "for selfish reasons". I made the statement somewhat flippantly - because I could go see more OU games but obviously that's not a reason to join the PAC10 :D . That being said, I'm thinking now about some of your comments. How well do OU fans travel to Iowa State? Manhattan? Lubbock? Not really that well. We would travel well to Stillwater, but we can't buy tickets. We don't really travel that well to College Station either. On the other hand, I've been to three OU road games in PAC-10 country over the past five years - UCLA, Eugene, and Seattle. I thought Sooner fans represented really well, especially at Husky Stadium. So, I'm not sure what effect that would have on fan attendance at away games. What you would lose in people driving from Norman, etc., you could make up for with alumni making road trips up and down the west coast.

More importantly, the only Big XII state that we recruit from other than Oklahoma is Texas. We were able to recruit there when we weren't in the SWC. We get zero recruiting benefit from playing away games in Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, or Iowa. On the other hand, playing in the PAC 10 would make us one of the top recruiters of talent in California.

Again, I haven't thought it through that much - but I don't buy your arguments for why it should be dead on arrival.

rainiersooner
2/14/2010, 11:33 PM

Thank you. Although, for the sake of argument, I'm taking up the PAC 10 rallying cry.

the_edge
2/15/2010, 03:31 AM
Since Pete Fiutak writes about college football for a living, I'm surprised he doesn't understand why the Big XII would never drop Baylor.

Having a private school means the conference doesn't have to make its books public, and it's why every major conference has at least one token private school.

MeMyself&Me
2/15/2010, 07:42 AM
That's why I said "for selfish reasons". I made the statement somewhat flippantly - because I could go see more OU games but obviously that's not a reason to join the PAC10 :D . That being said, I'm thinking now about some of your comments. How well do OU fans travel to Iowa State? Manhattan? Lubbock? Not really that well. We would travel well to Stillwater, but we can't buy tickets. We don't really travel that well to College Station either. On the other hand, I've been to three OU road games in PAC-10 country over the past five years - UCLA, Eugene, and Seattle. I thought Sooner fans represented really well, especially at Husky Stadium. So, I'm not sure what effect that would have on fan attendance at away games. What you would lose in people driving from Norman, etc., you could make up for with alumni making road trips up and down the west coast.

More importantly, the only Big XII state that we recruit from other than Oklahoma is Texas. We were able to recruit there when we weren't in the SWC. We get zero recruiting benefit from playing away games in Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, or Iowa. On the other hand, playing in the PAC 10 would make us one of the top recruiters of talent in California.

Again, I haven't thought it through that much - but I don't buy your arguments for why it should be dead on arrival.

I don't think people realize that OU has a pretty good following on the west coast, considering the distance. In the early 90s, an older cousin who grew up and lived in California brought is family to visit ours for thanksgiving. All he wanted me to do was to get him and his wife tickets to the OU/Nebraska game because he'd never gotten to see OU play and he was particularly interested in the OU/Nebraska game. I was surprised. He told me that there are a lot of OU fans in California.

For what it's worth, I can't remember what year it was but it was the most competitive game OU had with Nebraska in the early 90s even though OU lost and he had a lot of fun

I don't think OU to Pac-10 would be a good move though.

soonerloyal
2/15/2010, 07:59 AM
Sick and tired of whiney Mack Brown so if they want to go don't let the door hit them on the way out.

Amen, Sister.

If they do leave the Big 12, I'd give 'em no more than than a season or two of fan bitching, more homeboy recruiting losses and game losses, road game hassles, an even wider spread of 'Horn hatred and disrespect, overall disillusionment, etc. before they get homesick. The bloom'll be off the yellow rose faster 'n a speed-dial call to the Austin Association of Bail Bondsmen.

I can't believe that I bothered posting bout it, or that there's actually multiple threads about it on OUr board at all.

Screw 'em.

budbarrybob
2/15/2010, 09:09 AM
If you take a step back * is making the right move for Them if they go to the Big whatever. Money and TV. They could still keep their rivalry games and not skip a beat.
The problem here is where that leaves OU. Lets face it, the conference will be diminished, not only in size but in stature. What we'd be left with is basically the old B-8 with a couple of stragglers. Not that the B-8 was bad, just with the size of conferences now it appears inadequate.
Sorry, but I just don't see us abandoning the OU/* game. We need to play them to keep that foothold for recruiting. Threating to stop the game is like a childish tantrum IMHO.

OU needs * more than * needs the B-12. Lets face it and plan for a contingency when and IF it happens.

:pop:

Jacie
2/15/2010, 10:45 AM
Do UT fans really want this to happen? Does it matter what they want? To me, this thing smacks of "Be careful what you wish for" because they will have to live with the consequences for a long time and those are always more than what you bargain for.

bluedogok
2/15/2010, 11:11 AM
Some do and some don't....pretty much what you expect from most any fan base in one of the major conferences. I knew some Arkansas people who were happy to leave the SWC and some who weren't.

MrJimBeam
2/15/2010, 12:27 PM
Most Texas fans love the attention they're getting from college football fans more than the idea of playing Indiana every year.

rainiersooner
2/15/2010, 01:16 PM
Since Pete Fiutak writes about college football for a living, I'm surprised he doesn't understand why the Big XII would never drop Baylor.

Having a private school means the conference doesn't have to make its books public, and it's why every major conference has at least one token private school.

Great point - had never thought about it in those terms....