PDA

View Full Version : Bama Shooting?

soonersis
2/12/2010, 05:53 PM
Breaking news on Yahoo says 3 dead on campus at Alabama.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 06:02 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ala_university_shooting

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2010, 06:06 PM
UAH, not Bama. First I heard of it was my phone blowing up with relatives making sure everything was OK.

Curly Bill
2/12/2010, 06:11 PM
I hate to hear stuff like this, makes me sad.

Also makes me mad that we continue to leave our students like fish in a barrel.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 06:14 PM
What is going to happen is a student is going to get sick of it and pack heat for protection only to be arrested for having a gun on campus and then the war will really break out

Curly Bill
2/12/2010, 06:23 PM
Sadly, if someone is bent on killing a large number of people with little likelihood that any of them will be able to defend themselves, there are few options better than a school.

badger
2/12/2010, 06:28 PM
My brother and his wife live in Huntsville. My brother's a government employee and they, like others, are on uber lockdown. There's a lot of unanswered questions. There's a lot of people going to hospitals. I think it's much worse than three people dead.

yermom
2/12/2010, 06:41 PM
from the "Bitches is Crazy" department

;)

i'm not sure if i've heard of a woman mass shooter before...

Curly Bill
2/12/2010, 06:42 PM
from the "Bitches is Crazy" department

;)

i'm not sure if i've heard of a woman mass shooter before...

Yup, very unusual.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/12/2010, 07:41 PM
Was she denied tenure?

badger
2/12/2010, 08:17 PM
Was she denied tenure?

That's what my brother said.

Okla-homey
2/12/2010, 11:03 PM
Was she denied tenure?

Just another psychotic professional academic, although this one appears to have violence issues. Biggest wasters of oxygen on the planet. "I did some research, wrote a dissertation precisely no one but my doctoral committee read, so you bastages owe me a lifetime gig doing very little other than writing more papers no normal person will ever read because I can't possibly be expected to get a real job."

Veritas
2/12/2010, 11:27 PM
Just another psychotic professional academic, although this one appears to have violence issues. Biggest wasters of oxygen on the planet. "I did some research, wrote a dissertation precisely no one but my doctoral committee read, so you bastages owe me a lifetime gig doing very little other than writing more papers no normal person will ever read because I can't possibly be expected to get a real job."
Ditto. I had only one professor that, in hindsight, had an effing clue about the real world. Mainly because he also ran a law practice.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/13/2010, 12:54 AM

Well, now, she was a biology professor, not a business prof.

Okla-homey
2/13/2010, 05:50 AM
Well, now, she was a biology professor, not a business prof.

Same diff. And don't get me wrong, I'm sorry for the people who got hurt and/or killed. Truly.

Anyway, people who have been fired sometimes go "postal." Including loser academic-types.

Leroy Lizard
2/13/2010, 12:29 PM
Man, we academic types have a real image problem. :D

StoopTroup
2/13/2010, 12:45 PM
Man, we academic types have a real image problem. :D

Your use of we...is the real problem.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/13/2010, 01:17 PM
Anti-intellectualism on the SO board. Who would have guessed...

We have the perfect educational environment for you guys at numerous locations. At junior colleges.

Okla-homey
2/13/2010, 01:21 PM

We have the perfect educational environment for you guys at numerous locations. At junior colleges.

I have no beef with education. I have a doctoral degree. But I wasn't afraid to leave campus and get a job. "Those who can't...teach."

Veritas
2/13/2010, 01:47 PM

Yeah not so much anti-intellectualism as anti-unapplied-intellectualism.

1890MilesToNorman
2/13/2010, 02:29 PM
Nothing like an educated idiot with a gun.

Okla-homey
2/13/2010, 02:51 PM

Let's agree though. It wasn't the gun's fault, any more than it is the fork's fault when someone is obese.

Veritas
2/13/2010, 03:02 PM
Let's agree though. It wasn't the gun's fault, any more than it is the fork's fault when someone is obese.
No, it's not Homey, but obese people have a disease. A disease called cantsstopstuffingmyfukkingfaceitis

1890MilesToNorman
2/13/2010, 03:11 PM
I ain't blaming the gun, I blame the over educated idiot.

Okla-homey
2/13/2010, 03:13 PM
I ain't blaming the gun, I blame the over educated idiot.

And in concluding the above, you sir, have proven you are a rational human being -- which, unfortunately, are too often in short supply. spek.

1890MilesToNorman
2/13/2010, 03:22 PM
Blaming a gun for killing someone is like blaming yer keyboard when you type misspelled words and ****.

But judge, yer honor sir, my keyboard is defective.

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2010, 04:44 PM

Why would you say such a thing about Homey? ;)

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2010, 04:45 PM
My other post was going to be "Puts a whole new spin on 'Publish or Perish.'"

47straight
2/14/2010, 09:58 PM
Separated at birth.

Crazy yainch shooter professor Amanda Bishop

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/14/us/14alabama-web/14alabama-web-articleInline.jpg

Crazy yainch "feminist" blogger Amanda Marcotte.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/1034848592_03e6f06f87.jpg

StoopTroup
2/14/2010, 11:00 PM
Probably time to rethink that type of hair style before going into work Monday ladies. :D

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 12:16 AM
I know a few ladies with this hairstyle, and each of em seems to be a bit odd. :eek:

SanJoaquinSooner
2/15/2010, 12:32 AM
Amy's e-mail address is/was [email protected] ... if she's still allowed to check e-mails maybe some of you can become pen pals with her and pay some conjugal visits.

Below I've copied an abstract of her research to help you get the conversation rolling..

NO signaling in the CNS: from the physiological
to the pathological (from the journal: Toxicology)

Amy Bishop, James E. Anderson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alabama at Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama 35899, USA

Abstract
Nitric oxide (NO) is a free radical gas that has a Janus nature. As indicated by the literature and by our studies, in the cell, NO can either function as a beneficial physiological agent utilized for essential functions such as differentiation or neurotransmission, or as a pathological agent that causes or exacerbates central nervous system (CNS) disease and injury. Whether NO is helpful or harmful depends on a variety of factors, such as the cellular environment in which NO is released, the rate of NO flux, as determined by which NOS isozyme is activated, and what array of second messenger cascades are available for utilization by NO for beneficial or toxic cell signalling. Understanding the mechanisms by which NO is salutary in one set of circumstances and toxic in another is critical and will offer therapeutic targets for the mitigation of NO-mediated damage seen during CNS disease and injury. In fact, we have utilized the duality the NO to, in motor neurons, induce adaptive resistance (IAR) to toxic doses of NO. Understanding how the actions of NO are transduced in the cell will lead us to more targeted application of therapies such as IAR.

© 2004 Published by Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
Keywords: Nitric oxide; NO; HO-1; Induced CNS injury; CNS disease; Adaptive resistance; IAR

maybe she OD'ed on NO

nighttrain12
2/15/2010, 12:55 AM
Crazy broad!

tommieharris91
2/15/2010, 01:17 AM
This might have been stopped with better police work and better technology... (http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/14/alabama.university.shooting/index.html)

LosAngelesSooner
2/15/2010, 01:30 AM
I have no beef with education. I have a doctoral degree. But I wasn't afraid to leave campus and get a job. "Those who can't...teach."Yeah...like that "do nothing," Socrates.

And that "can't hold down a job" guy, Jesus. :rolleyes:

You know...empty folksy statements may sound good at first blush, but they really are just stupid sayings that make lesser people feel like they are superior. That's where statements like the one you quoted came from.

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 01:34 AM
Yeah...like that "do nothing," Socrates.

You know...empty folksy statements may sound good at first blush, but they really are just stupid sayings that make lesser people feel like they are superior. That's where statements like the one you quoted came from.

Right on! About time you again posted something that I can agree with. ;)

Collier11
2/15/2010, 01:55 AM
LAS has had a breakthrough, good post

LosAngelesSooner
2/15/2010, 02:09 AM
LOL! Guys...it's funny because I haven't changed my tune since I started posting here in 1999...:D

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 02:11 AM
LOL! Guys...it's funny because I haven't changed my tune since I started posting here in 1999...:D

Yeah, but I don't agree with ya often, so when I do it's newsworthy. :D

LosAngelesSooner
2/15/2010, 03:12 AM
I can agree with that. But I'm not surprised that every now and then you come around to my way of thinking. After all, "A broke clock is right twice a day." ;)

(posted for irony :D)

Veritas
2/15/2010, 10:45 AM

Pshaw. I'm a big fan of folksy statements, both the empty ones and the nice meaty ones. And I'll see your Socrates and raise you every coffee shop in the country, which will have at least one bearded loser who sees himself as some type of poet/savage/Galt/savant. And I'll see your Jesus with David Koresh, Jim Jones, the kid-****ers in Utah, and roughly 80% of ministers I've gotten to know real well.

Besides, Jesus came to my place this morning to fix the water shooter thingy on my fridge and did a fine job. I defy anyone to say he can't hold down a job, he's been fixing my **** for six years now.

Okla-homey
2/15/2010, 12:18 PM

Jesus held a job. Theologians are pretty unanimous that He worked and earned an honest living as a cabinet maker in his Earthly father Joseph's shop until he began His public ministry at age 30. So there. And another thing, going about the countryside on foot performing miracles and sermonizing is hard work. Srsly.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/15/2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Okla-homey
I have no beef with education. I have a doctoral degree. But I wasn't afraid to leave campus and get a job. "Those who can't...teach."

"Those who can't" are unlikely to have and keep jobs at PhD granting research institutions. Most all Bio professors at these institutions "do" scientific research. That's what scientists do. Check out a list of top ten scientific breakthroughs/discoveries, etc for a recent year, and the majority of them will involve a university research team. It's a big business to get external funding, seek patents, etc.

LosAngelesSooner
2/15/2010, 03:55 PM
Pshaw. I'm a big fan of folksy statements, both the empty ones and the nice meaty ones. And I'll see your Socrates and raise you every coffee shop in the country, which will have at least one bearded loser who sees himself as some type of poet/savage/Galt/savant. And I'll see your Jesus with David Koresh, Jim Jones, the kid-****ers in Utah, and roughly 80% of ministers I've gotten to know real well.

Besides, Jesus came to my place this morning to fix the water shooter thingy on my fridge and did a fine job. I defy anyone to say he can't hold down a job, he's been fixing my **** for six years now.

Dean? What did you do with Veritas? :D

LosAngelesSooner
2/15/2010, 03:56 PM
Jesus held a job. Theologians are pretty unanimous that He worked and earned an honest living as a cabinet maker in his Earthly father Joseph's shop until he began His public ministry at age 30. So there. And another thing, going about the countryside on foot performing miracles and sermonizing is hard work. Srsly.

But teaching hundreds of different hungover, slutty, party crazed maniacs every year in University is like...a hobby, right? :rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
2/15/2010, 03:59 PM
"Those who can't" are unlikely to have and keep jobs at PhD granting research institutions. Most all Bio professors at these institutions "do" scientific research. That's what scientists do. Check out a list of top ten scientific breakthroughs/discoveries, etc for a recent year, and the majority of them will involve a university research team. It's a big business to get external funding, seek patents, etc.

Not to mention that almost all Doctorates require that you have some kind of published work (many times a book or text book) by the time you're finished. How many of you chuckleheads have written a book? ;)

Collier11
2/15/2010, 04:03 PM
most of the posters on here can barely read a book :D

Okla-homey
2/15/2010, 04:43 PM
But teaching hundreds of different hungover, slutty, party crazed maniacs every year in University is like...a hobby, right? :rolleyes:

Given the amount of time most of these profs spend each week actually at a lectern, yeah. Most of the time, classes are conducted by Graduate Asst. Jugdish.

Okla-homey
2/15/2010, 04:45 PM
Not to mention that almost all Doctorates require that you have some kind of published work (many times a book or text book) by the time you're finished. How many of you chuckleheads have written a book? ;)

Most of the time, its an article published in some professional journal precisely no one reads that exists solely to give these people somewhere to "publish." And too often, the article is mostly wrtten by "research assistant(s)."

JohnnyMack
2/15/2010, 04:49 PM

There's a lot of good teachers out there.

And I find it amusing when lawyers cast aspersions about other peoples professions.

Curly Bill
2/15/2010, 04:58 PM

And I find it amusing when lawyers cast aspersions about other peoples professions.

LOL

No doubt. :D

Frozen Sooner
2/15/2010, 05:05 PM

I find it sort of amusing when they equate a J.D. to a Doctorate.

badger
2/15/2010, 05:24 PM
I think that her anger wasn't only the fact that she was not getting tenured, but also that her position was getting eliminated. I think you can get denied tenure and still keep your job, but you she was not only getting denied tenure, but was also getting fired.

It turns out this woman also had a fatal shooting accident (?) where she killed her brother with a shotgun when she was 18. How she didn't get at least manslaughter charges against her, I do not know.

Might be a case of the good ol' boy system going horribly wrong

yermom
2/15/2010, 05:46 PM
from what i read they give you six years to get tenure, then they fire you if you don't