PDA

View Full Version : NCAA rules changes

OUHOMER
2/12/2010, 06:20 AM
This will stop taunting. Dont know if I like it, but i guess sportsmanship should prevail.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_ncaa_rules_changes

INDIANAPOLIS – The NCAA wants to get tough on taunting and make it more difficult for football players with concussions to try to tough it out.

Both proposals were announced Thursday by the Football Rules Committee and must now be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel.

If passed, players who draw flags for taunting gestures on their way to a touchdown would have the penalty assessed from the spot of the foul, taking away the score. Penalties that occur in the end zone would continue to be assessed on the extra-point attempt, 2-point conversion try or ensuing kickoff.

The change would take effect in 2011 and on the NCAA's web site, a release said the proposal received near-unanimous support.

"Taunting and prolonged individual acts have no place in our game, and our officials have generally handled these rules well," said former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, the committee chair. "This is just another step in maintaining our game's image and reflecting the ideals of the NCAA overall."

The taunting rules seem to become a topic of debate among college football players, coaches and fans every season. Last season's big controversy stemmed from Georgia receiver A.J. Green receiving a 15-year personal foul penalty after he caught a go-ahead touchdown pass late in a game against LSU. The yardage from the penalty was assessed on the ensuing kickoff and helped LSU get into position to drive for the winning score.

The Southeastern Conference would later say there was no video evidence to support the flag on Green.

Concussion prevention and treatment has also been a hot topic in recent years.

With that in mind, committee members also supported more stringent standards to keep players healthy.

If approved, injured players — including those with concussion symptoms — would have to be cleared by a doctor before returning to competition.

The action comes a month after the playing rules panel instructed the rules committee to review policies about stopping play for injuries and consider new rules to help prevent head injuries.

In previous seasons, there have been rules changes created to reduce "dangerous contact" during games.

Other topics discussed at the meeting include:

• Television monitors will be allowed in the press box coaches' booths beginning in 2011. The home team has responsibility for insuring that coaches' booths for both teams have identical television capability.

• Requiring players who wear "eye black" to use solid black with no words, logos, numbers or other symbols. That will be effective next season.

• Ending the requirement that players' pants always cover the knees.

• Eliminating the intentional "wedge" on kickoffs and punts, a rule the NFL adopted last season.

• Recommending conferences that do not have a pregame warm-up policy use a 10-yard, no-player zone between the 45-yard lines beginning 60 minutes before kickoff.

Jacie
2/12/2010, 07:55 AM
This will stop taunting. Dont know if I like it, but i guess sportsmanship should prevail.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_ncaa_rules_changes

• Requiring players who wear "eye black" to use solid black with no words, logos, numbers or other symbols. That will be effective next season.

This is the one that will cause them the greatest consternation . . .

OU_Sooners75
2/12/2010, 07:57 AM
This is the one that will cause them the greatest consternation . . .

I agree. Yet, I think they should not include their team logo or mascot image in the ban.

However, I agree, area codes and bible verses and crap do not need to be on the eye black.

delhalew
2/12/2010, 08:07 AM
Taunting Ok, but they have gone way too far with celebration penalties.

Anytime you have a judgement call, I get worried.

OU_Sooners75
2/12/2010, 08:22 AM
I personally think that if a player scores, there should be no rule against celebration....

As long as they are past the goal line and are not taunting the other team.

Other than that, if they want to spike the ball, the go for it! Let these kids have some freaking fun for accomplishing something good on the field.

SoonerAtKU
2/12/2010, 10:35 AM
Thank the lord they didn't try to put the eye-black restriction in place while Tebow was still in play. The outcry would have been deafening.

Pricetag
2/12/2010, 10:41 AM
They should have made the eye black rule that if you want to wear it, be a real man and use the stuff you smear on, and not the stickers that you can write on.

When I saw eye black, I was hoping that it would also eliminate ridiculous Ultimate Warrior designs.

soonermix
2/12/2010, 10:42 AM
Thank the lord they didn't try to put the eye-black restriction in place while Tebow was still in play. The outcry would have been deafening.

in baby tebus's defense, he didn't write those bible verses on the eye black... God did

yermom
2/12/2010, 10:58 AM
any of those rules that aren't for player safety are kinda retarded

the idea of refs changing the score of a game due to a perceived taunt could get real ugly fast. especially in the bowl games after a conference is used to their refs calling things

Leroy Lizard
2/12/2010, 11:19 AM
You have to blame the players for these rules. We shouldn't need them in the first place.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2010, 11:30 AM
I don't agree with the taunting thing either...there are ways to make a player pay for it that doesnt involve in officiating

NormanPride
2/12/2010, 12:09 PM
What the hell? You take away a score because the ref doesn't like what the kid did? This is insane, and HAS to be protested. I mean, what if a kid gets an interception in the last second to break a tie and win the game, while pumping his fist in celebration. The ref doesn't like that, takes the score away, and the team loses in overtime. How does that AT ALL protect the purity of the game? Are kids supposed to be robots now that think winning or doing something amazing is cause to feel nothing? I don't care if the kid reaches back and points, laughing at the other team, there is NO REASON to take points off the board for celebration. The NCAA has taken a stricter and stricter stance on celebration, yet we STILL see the favored players getting away with whatever the hell they want after scores or big plays. Did any of the taunting rules keep Bush from somersaulting into the endzone? How about Tebow from taking off his helmet and waving his arms like a jackass? Terrence Cody from taking his helmet off and screaming at the opposing team? How about Ryan Broyles raising his arms in celebration after a great TD. OOPS! That one got called!

Damn, **** like this pisses me off!

rawlingsHOH
2/12/2010, 12:11 PM
If passed, players who draw flags for taunting gestures on their way to a touchdown would have the penalty assessed from the spot of the foul, taking away the score.
Refs are bad enough as it is. Don't let them have ANOTHER rule they can screw up, and make it's impact even more pronounced.

This is all so dumb.

rawlingsHOH
2/12/2010, 12:12 PM
What the hell? You take away a score because the ref doesn't like what the kid did? This is insane, and HAS to be protested. I mean, what if a kid gets an interception in the last second to break a tie and win the game, while pumping his fist in celebration. The ref doesn't like that, takes the score away, and the team loses in overtime. How does that AT ALL protect the purity of the game? Are kids supposed to be robots now that think winning or doing something amazing is cause to feel nothing? I don't care if the kid reaches back and points, laughing at the other team, there is NO REASON to take points off the board for celebration. The NCAA has taken a stricter and stricter stance on celebration, yet we STILL see the favored players getting away with whatever the hell they want after scores or big plays. Did any of the taunting rules keep Bush from somersaulting into the endzone? How about Tebow from taking off his helmet and waving his arms like a jackass? Terrence Cody from taking his helmet off and screaming at the opposing team? How about Ryan Broyles raising his arms in celebration after a great TD. OOPS! That one got called!

Damn, **** like this pisses me off!

I agree!

Totally mind-numbing.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2010, 12:15 PM
yeah..just wait til a major game is decided on a bad call (kinda like Georgia-LSU last season) because of this..

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 12:28 PM
i think a dude should be able to take a dump on the field if he scores the winning td....

why not??? people would love to watch that

just wait, Chad Johnson might do it

no but really. this is a freaking retarded rule they are considering. this rule is prlly for loser ncaa people who never played football.

hell throw the kid out of the game, or make him sit a certain amount of plays. never take points off the scoreboard. stupid stupid.

NormanPride
2/12/2010, 12:28 PM
Can you imagine the outrage? I mean, Reese got death threats because he bungled the Oregon game away, but we still had a chance to win... I can't even imagine the obliterating rage that would have happened had a call actually taken away points. How will this effect game-winning field goals? Do those get taken away if the kicker gets picked up and carried around?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2010, 12:32 PM
Belotti the rules committee chairman.....hmmm

1890MilesToNorman
2/12/2010, 12:35 PM
I hope they put in a exception to the taunting rule. Everyone should be allowed taunt to the whorns. And they should bain flying stupid banners behind airplanes when you don't get what you want.

badger
2/12/2010, 12:39 PM
I wonder if the way Adrian kicks his way into the endzone after a big run would cause some NCAA refs to throw flags?

I wonder if there will be even a shred of consistency across-the-board when calling flags before/during/after touchdowns for taunting?

Oh, and the eye black thing? I don't care if they say "no bad words" or "no endorsements," but I had not problem with Teeb's bible verses or everyone else's area codes.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2010, 12:42 PM
yeah..what difference does the black eye thing matter ?....Just because its the offseason doesnt mean they have to make rule changes...just like they shouldnt elect people to the HoF just because

NormanPride
2/12/2010, 12:43 PM
Next year they'll outlaw black shoes and throwback Unis. Then after that they'll come for our commemorative cups and foam OUs. What's to stop them?

;)

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 12:44 PM
yah, if u have your name on the back of your jersey its taunting too.

b/c the guy chasing u can see another person's name beating him...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2010, 12:47 PM
I think at the end of the season, everyone should receive a heisman trophy

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 12:49 PM
yup, why not?

badger
2/12/2010, 12:54 PM
I think at the end of the season, everyone should receive a heisman trophy

How bout a participation ribbon?
http://www.ignitesocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/participation-ribbon-mad.jpg

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 12:58 PM
hey i use to do that in RA's

goingoneight
2/12/2010, 01:02 PM
Retardiculous rule changes.

I guarantee you Ryan Broyles will get flagged for one of these. He always high-steps and/or sticks the ball out in front of a defender like "look what I got!" on his way across the goal line. Miller and Murray have done it too.

TMcGee86
2/12/2010, 01:07 PM
The change would take effect in 2011

*whew* Broyles will be gone by then.

westbrooke
2/12/2010, 01:10 PM
Good comment by a poster named Hooper on the EDSBS board.

In the first week of NFL action this year, the Denver Broncos beat the Cincinnati Bengals on a last-minute TD.

In that play, Brandon Stokley caught a tipped pass in a happenstance situation that ended up putting him well clear of any defender. With time winding down on the clock, Stokley didn’t run full-bore into the end zone, Instead, he ran parallel to the goal line until the Bengals finally came within about ten yards of him. Then he finally crossed the line for the go-ahead score. In doing so, he ran several precious second off the clock, further reducing the Bengals’ very slim hopes for a touchdown of their own.

It was a maneuver that made perfectly tactical sense and was absolutely the right thing to do. But with a rule like this, an official could interpret the move as a form of a taunt, thereby negating a brilliant on-the-fly decision and handing the game to the other team. At some point in time, such a decision will eventually get made by the officials.

That's an excellent point. I seem to recall Brian Westbrook (no relation, ;) ) doing something similar, refraining from scoring a TD to keep possession and run out the clock instead of giving an opponent the ball back. This rule could (will) go beyond controlling questionable player behavior and actually interfere with gameplay tactics.

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 01:14 PM
yah i think Westrbook, took a knee at the 1 to let the clock run down more

badger
2/12/2010, 01:15 PM
I hate taunting, but if they really want to send messages to would-be taunters, have suspensions. This way, they can be appealed and reviewed after the fact, and not have some whistle-happy ref let the flags fly spur-of-the-moment.

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 01:20 PM
what if you taunt your teammate and tell him he sucks?
:D

badger
2/12/2010, 01:42 PM
what if you taunt your teammate and tell him he sucks?
:D

Mack Brown says that the matter will be handled internally ;)

Curly Bill
2/12/2010, 01:43 PM
So the college game continues it's march to becoming more and more like the No Fun League...

...next thing you know peeps will be wanting the college game to have playoffs just like the No Fun League. :D

rawlingsHOH
2/12/2010, 01:53 PM
You have to blame the players for these rules. We shouldn't need them in the first place.

Pussification 101

When I was a kid and the other team was running their mouth, our coaches told us to GET BETTER.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2010, 01:57 PM
exactly...and if you taunted us in a game, the next play you was involved with was not gonna be pretty

Jello Biafra
2/12/2010, 01:57 PM

he (tebow) should be ok with it...they didnt say anything about the brown eye paint...

Jello Biafra
2/12/2010, 02:01 PM
Pussification 101

When I was a kid and the other team was running their mouth, our coaches told us to GET BETTER.

my 6 yo has been hounding me to let him do a flip into the endzone next year when he scores...and im wondering if i shouldn't let him do it... we had a kid do it to us last year and i had no heart burn about it. the kids didnt seem to worry about it and they actually thought it was cool. meh...i may wait till one of their last games as a 11 year old then tell them to go off...

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2010, 02:23 PM
Retardiculous rule changes.

I guarantee you Ryan Broyles will get flagged for one of these. He always high-steps and/or sticks the ball out in front of a defender like "look what I got!" on his way across the goal line. Miller and Murray have done it too.

Why? What's the point other than to prove you're a ****** who made a good play?

Perhaps the NCAA is saying.. oh.. "Score first."

By further way of example, let's suppose a player is on the way to the end zone.. and has a clear path.. but.. 2 yards behind him, one of his teammates clips an opponent. Does the touchdown count? No.

Or... a player intercepts the ball and is on the way to the end zone again, clear and unobstructed. A linebacker takes a cheap shot at the quarterback and decks him while the player with the ball is at the 15. Does the touchdown count?

If there is a rules violation before the score, the score should not count. Hotdogging because you're a no class moron should be included. .and yes.. that includes the ridiculous "diving into the end zone crap" too.

Harrumph...

budbarrybob
2/12/2010, 02:25 PM
Sooo. i guess diving into the endzone will now constitute a personal foul? This is wrong on many levels...

Jello Biafra
2/12/2010, 02:33 PM
By further way of example, let's suppose a player is on the way to the end zone.. and has a clear path.. but.. 2 yards behind him, one of his teammates clips an opponent. Does the touchdown count? No.

Or... a player intercepts the ball and is on the way to the end zone again, clear and unobstructed. A linebacker takes a cheap shot at the quarterback and decks him while the player with the ball is at the 15. Does the touchdown count?

why does this matter? is he on the field? was he on the field when the interception was thrown? he has as good a chance as anyone to make a play...

If there is a rules violation before the score, the score should not count. Hotdogging because you're a no class moron should be included. .and yes.. that includes the ridiculous "diving into the end zone crap" too.

Harrumph...

never donned a jock.

swardboy
2/13/2010, 10:44 PM
Q was total class when he scored....zero hot-dogging and handed the ball to the ref. Barry Sanders was the same.

Geez, act like you've been there, done that.

Leroy Lizard
2/13/2010, 11:11 PM
If Q can do it, then others can too. It's part of being in self-control.

If the rule says no hot-dogging, then don't hot dog. If you can't follow simple rules, then you deserve to be penalized.

StoopTroup
2/13/2010, 11:17 PM
The fun continues to be drained from football because of folks who require there to be rules about common sense.

The 1991 Miami Thugs want the blame and I'll continue to let them take it.

It is unfortunate that rules for good sportsmanship must be applied because players feel the need to insult other players/Teams with anything but a record setting performance.

The only good thing was getting to watch it be done to the whorns in the Cotton Bowl.

SoonerMom2
2/13/2010, 11:48 PM
If Q can do it, then others can too. It's part of being in self-control.

If the rule says no hot-dogging, then don't hot dog. If you can't follow simple rules, then you deserve to be penalized.

Very well said! Agree completely!

John Kochtoston
2/14/2010, 12:33 AM
The taunting call should be 15 yards assessed on the kickoff. That way, you won't have officials taking points off the board, or making PATs artificially hard. But, the first time a team has to kick off from its own 15, that should end any over the top stuff.

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 02:39 AM
Here's an idea: If you showboat when scoring, you don't lose any points nor is there any penalty. But your TD is vacated in the individual record books. Not getting credited for the TD will kill these guys.

Or, "Unsportsmanlike conduct, No. 33. As a penalty for the infraction, the player will sit out the rest of the game so that he can view the contributions of his teammates who blocked for him. He will then write a 5-page essay, "Why football is a team sport."

Problem solved.

Collier11
2/14/2010, 03:31 AM
LL, here is the deal, you can celebrate without showing up the other team. The problem is this, the refs have not shown the ability to tell the diff, case in point Georgia last yr or Jake Locker

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 04:30 AM
LL, here is the deal, you can celebrate without showing up the other team.

Or, you can just not celebrate.

Now, if a player wants to high-five on his own sideline, fine.

It is a judgment call, and refs can screw it up. The real shame is that we even need the rules.

Collier11
2/14/2010, 04:36 AM
So, in the sport that allows for the most possible emotion to be shown, you cant celebrate a TD or a great play?

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 04:37 AM
Sure you can. On your own sidelines.

If Q can do it, the other players can too.

Collier11
2/14/2010, 04:39 AM
Of course they can but I think even you can realize how refs have helped decide games that they shouldnt have just because a player celebrated as opposed to showing up the other team which speaks to the opposite of the spirit of the rule

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 04:43 AM
I guess they consider excess celebration equivalent to showing up the other team.

You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm not certain where.

Collier11
2/14/2010, 04:54 AM
I agree but it seems some refs havent used common sense lately, like with the Locker situation

BoulderSooner79
2/14/2010, 02:36 PM
So the college game continues it's march to becoming more and more like the No Fun League...

...next thing you know peeps will be wanting the college game to have playoffs just like the No Fun League. :D

Careful, that last coment is taunting on SF.com.

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 02:40 PM

Quite the contrary. The college game is trying to avoid looking like the NFL.

BoulderSooner79
2/14/2010, 02:51 PM
Q and B Sanders choose to behave the way they did post score because that was their personality types. Legislating all players to be the same is stupid and the me, it takes away the special nature of guys like Q. who are so cool such situations.

The problem I have with this new proposal is that it is directed at scoring plays which are already over-policed. They already move the kick-off back 15 which is a pretty tough penalty. The big taunting problem I see is defensive players taunting after a hit. It goes as far as the D player standing over the O player who is hurt and thumping his chest. And the refs don't blink an eye, yet have their yellow hankies cocked and ready after a score in case a player looks to happy.