PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better Riavlry in all of sports that's better than OU/Texas?

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 01:36 AM
. . .

Sooner4FCD
2/12/2010, 01:46 AM
Such a subjective thing...Everyone thinks their rivalry is the best/most heated for obvious reasons. OU/Texas is in the top tier of rivalries nationally.

Boomer!!
2/12/2010, 02:13 AM
I think the only one that would come close is Ohio state and Michigan. It has not been to great lately but it has alot of tradition and is still probably the 2nd biggest rivalry. In my opinion

Collier11
2/12/2010, 02:21 AM
well the media will have you believe it is NY/Bos or Duke/NC because that drives ratings more but I think as far as CFB it isnt even close

yankee
2/12/2010, 02:26 AM
Yanks and Boston...hands down. But right now, OU/TX is the best one in CFB because ohio state and michigan are down a little bit, especially michigan. there's some damn good rivalries in the SEC too.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 02:28 AM
Yankees/Boston is a creation of ESPN, sure it was and always has been a great rivalry but ESPN made that rivalry as huge as it is just like they did Duke/unc

ccmike9
2/12/2010, 02:34 AM
I've grown up a Michigan fan, and become a Sooner. Without a doubt, I can tell you that the Red River Rivalry is the better rivalry. The fans care more, and people who don't care learn to care down here, lol.

yankee
2/12/2010, 02:34 AM
Yankees/Boston is a creation of ESPN, sure it was and always has been a great rivalry but ESPN made that rivalry as huge as it is just like they did Duke/unc

it's been an unbelievable rivalry LOOOONG before espn was even a thought.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 02:45 AM
What did I just say? Read it again...

yankee
2/12/2010, 02:47 AM

you credit it and then disregard the rivalry all in the same sentence.

yanks/boston > ou/texas

Collier11
2/12/2010, 02:57 AM
What I said was that it has always been a great rivalry but ESPN chooses to hype it up for the obvious ratings reasons. I would take the Cards/Cubs just cus im a Cards fan but since it is in the Midwest ESPN doesnt care as much, therefore it gets less fanfare

yankee
2/12/2010, 03:10 AM
What I said was that it has always been a great rivalry but ESPN chooses to hype it up for the obvious ratings reasons. I would take the Cards/Cubs just cus im a Cards fan but since it is in the Midwest ESPN doesnt care as much, therefore it gets less fanfare

the cubs and cardinals are a great rivalry, but i think the reason it gets less fanfare is because the teams (generally, at least lately) are not as good as the yanks. not sure if the midwest argument is valid with espn...we get fed Ohio state/ terrell pryor crap all the time, and it will only get worse. big 10 bball is on all the time. vikes/bears/indy stuff is on all the time.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 03:12 AM
Cardinals are the 2nd greatest organization in MLB history if you go by WS wins

King Crimson
2/12/2010, 03:37 AM
let's say for pretend sake that Yankees-Red Sox is the best....how many times a year do they play?

how much does each game really mean in the context of a series of games? a 160 game season.

Oklahoma and Texas play one time each year.

and there is no way you can convince me that an AL rivalry is all that is good in baseball. the DH is BS. TV nonsense.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 03:38 AM
Good points

MamaMia
2/12/2010, 04:49 AM
No

MrJimBeam
2/12/2010, 05:07 AM
Stroud v. Chandler.

End of discussion.

Crucifax Autumn
2/12/2010, 06:29 AM
People can carry on all they want about how this or that rivalry is the most heated, or the biggest, or whatever, but the fact remains that OU-texass is the most unique, it's been around forever, the neutral site adds even more, the fair adds more, the overall atmosphere with the orange-Crimson split, the yearly importance of the game that's even bigger with the Big 12 around now, the sheer number of legendary coaches and players, etc.

Some of the biggest sports announcers carry on about the others when they can, but if they ever cover this one they always say it's the biggest and comment on how ohio state-michigan is the only one that comes close...blah...blah...blah. There's nothing else like it.

MeMyself&Me
2/12/2010, 07:45 AM

I've learned that a great many people here have a tendency to hit the reply button and just start typing away without reading and thinking about what they are replying to.

Stroud v. Chandler.

End of discussion.

Good point! I'm not familiar with the Stroud/Chandler rivalry but I do remember how heated the rivalries in high school I was involved in. When it's a neighboring town and you actually know half the kids on the other team...

Yeah, I don't think anything else could come close in terms of how heated they are each time they play.

People can carry on all they want about how this or that rivalry is the most heated, or the biggest, or whatever, but the fact remains that OU-texass is the most unique, it's been around forever, the neutral site adds even more, the fair adds more, the overall atmosphere with the orange-Crimson split, the yearly importance of the game that's even bigger with the Big 12 around now, the sheer number of legendary coaches and players, etc.

Some of the biggest sports announcers carry on about the others when they can, but if they ever cover this one they always say it's the biggest and comment on how ohio state-michigan is the only one that comes close...blah...blah...blah. There's nothing else like it.

There is certainly something different and special about the RRS that can't be explained to someone that hasn't been there.

freshchris05
2/12/2010, 08:39 AM
Football > Baseball

MeMyself&Me
2/12/2010, 08:56 AM
Football > Baseball

I'll also add that rivalries in the pros just aren't the same as rivalries in amateur sports, ie you hate a give player because he plays for team xyz and next year he's playing for you and you love him? meh...

yermom
2/12/2010, 08:56 AM
let's say for pretend sake that Yankees-Red Sox is the best....how many times a year do they play?

how much does each game really mean in the context of a series of games? a 160 game season.

Oklahoma and Texas play one time each year.

and there is no way you can convince me that an AL rivalry is all that is good in baseball. the DH is BS. TV nonsense.

i was trying to explain this to my buddy, a Red Sox fan

who cares when they play like 20 times in a year? most of those games don't mean anything to anyone outside of their fans

OU and Texas play once a year, you get all the hate on top of the importance of the game.

historically it may have been bigger though

yermom
2/12/2010, 08:57 AM
I'll also add that rivalries in the pros just aren't the same as rivalries in amateur sports, ie you hate a give player because he plays for team xyz and next year he's playing for you and you love him? meh...

Exhibit A: Homerun Jesus

XingTheRubicon
2/12/2010, 09:09 AM
Yankees/Red Sox (by a mile)

OSU/Mich

OU/Texas

26 year olds arguing this topic is pretty amusing

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 09:16 AM
Yankees/Red Sox (by a mile)

OSU/Mich

OU/Texas

26 year olds arguing this topic is pretty amusing

Well isn't that the purpose of this website?

And for what its worth, I've read a lot (but never been to) tOSU/Mich and I am a yankees fan and I would have to say that Neutral Site, mid-year, and true hatred and controversy, not to mention the freaking ticket price$ put OU/Texas ahead of them. But like the gentlman said earlier, its difficult to compare this topic

MojoRisen
2/12/2010, 09:44 AM
OU/Texas nutural site, fights, overall having to share the city, Fair etc. Although some fans are cool - there is a lot of bad blood and hatred. You could be in a fight at any given moment :)

OSU/Michigan this is close for sure; I was in columbus after the famed 1vs2 game a few years ago and about a month after the game - the bar in Columbus was just replaying the game on the big screen all night long...

Baseball - too many games and no nutural sites.

KantoSooner
2/12/2010, 09:53 AM
New South Wales/Queensland Rugby. Excellent level of hate.

Wallabies v. All Blacks. Near outright war every time.

Nah. OU v. Tex.

But there are other heartfelt rivalries out there.

SoonerAtKU
2/12/2010, 09:58 AM
Our resident Bama fans are all convulsing in front of their monitors right now.

I still think OU/Texas is better.

SunnySooner
2/12/2010, 10:40 AM
The FU/FSU fans here tell me their rivalry is bigger because they have to share the state, and I'm sure the Bama/AU folks make that argument. There's some validity to that, since you'd have to live and work amongst them all the time. But I think the state v. state element adds a lot to the hate level and overall vitriol. It would be hard to hate a fellow Okie. Easy to hate a tejan.

yermom
2/12/2010, 10:43 AM
Our resident Bama fans are all convulsing in front of their monitors right now.

I still think OU/Texas is better.

yeah, our rivals hate us and all but we didn't go like 40 years without playing each other out of hatred :D

Position Limit
2/12/2010, 11:05 AM
the once a year ou texas tilt is any given saturday in the sec. as a die hard ou fan it always makes me laugh when i hear how great the ou/tex game is supposed to be. i've been to many. go to one night game anywhere in the sec and you will never spew such nonsense again. it's the difference between throwing bullets and shooting bullets.

KantoSooner
2/12/2010, 11:08 AM
But it's faster, right? because it's the SEC and all.

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 11:35 AM
New South Wales/Queensland Rugby. Excellent level of hate.

Wallabies v. All Blacks. Near outright war every time.

Nah. OU v. Tex.

But there are other heartfelt rivalries out there.

^^^Made me laugh in class lol

yermom
2/12/2010, 11:50 AM
the once a year ou texas tilt is any given saturday in the sec. as a die hard ou fan it always makes me laugh when i hear how great the ou/tex game is supposed to be. i've been to many. go to one night game anywhere in the sec and you will never spew such nonsense again. it's the difference between throwing bullets and shooting bullets.

the fans might be drunker and crazier, but outside of those fans, no one really cares or knows who won the Egg Bowl or the Boot or whatever last year

MojoRisen
2/12/2010, 11:55 AM
Who splits 90 thousand ready to fight fans down the middle?

badger
2/12/2010, 11:57 AM
What makes the sports rivalry good is good sports programs... that's why tOSU/Meatchicken isn't as good right now, why UNC/Duke wasn't as good this year, why OU/OSU is no longer about a "team on the rise," but rather, a :les: RIVALRY ON THE RISE [hairGel], because the Pokes actually had a chance.

Michigan needs to be better again for that rivalry to get back on top - UNC wasn't even ranked by the time they hosted Duke this year.

However, BoSox/Yankees is probably the top in sports because Boston is suddenly not cursed and the Yankees won, their... what is it, 100th World Series or so?

1890MilesToNorman
2/12/2010, 12:01 PM
The atmosphere of OU/UT is awesome, neutral site?, state fair, stadium split at the 50, the smell of corny dogs. I've been to 4 of them and so far I have never attended another event that comes close. Maybe Army/Navy?

I went to Fenway for a Sox/Skanks game and it wasn't even close.

badger
2/12/2010, 12:07 PM
Speaking of Pokes, they just released their 2010 schedule.

Link! (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20100212_93_0_Homega817458)

If I may make a prediction...

:les: SEASON TICKETERS ONLY TO SEE THEM FAIRWEATHER FAN CHEATIN' GOONERZ! [hairGel]

yermom
2/12/2010, 12:11 PM
that's a fairly decent schedule. Wazzou could have a breakout game there though :D

Tulsa and Troy could be pretty competitive

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 12:15 PM
The atmosphere of OU/UT is awesome, neutral site?, state fair, stadium split at the 50, the smell of crony dogs. I've been to 4 of them and so far I have never attended another event that comes close. Maybe Army/Navy?

I went to Fenway for a Sox/Skanks game and it wasn't even close.

Oh i love being reminded of the scene in Dallas, its truly amazing!

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 12:16 PM
Who splits 90 thousand ready to fight fans down the middle?

99,000, just sayin

olevetonahill
2/12/2010, 12:36 PM
The good old days of Commerce st. :D

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2010, 02:10 PM
I've been to 32 Texas - OU games. God willing.. I'll be at 32 more.

Nothing in sports rivals the unique backdrop of the sport. We compete year round for high school athletes, but...

The atmosphere of the Cotton Bowl..

The smell and taste of Maker's Mark in your drink.

The lingering taste of Fletcher's Corny Dogs...

Beer spilled on your shirt...and your dates...

The yells of "OU sucks," "Texas sucks"

One half of the stands in crimson, one half in burnt orange...

Legends of the game... young men who have transcended the sport, have left indelible footprints on the game.

Living every feeling possible... the agony of heart wrenching losses and the exstacy of unexpected victory..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnb9Et5lVnc&feature=related

For those who live it.. who love it.

There is no other.

yermom
2/12/2010, 02:20 PM
i hate agreeing with Lid :mad:

Partial Qualifier
2/12/2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnb9Et5lVnc&feature=related

For those who live it.. who love it.

There is no other.

Oh, ****.

I'm ready for some football now :D

Collier11
2/12/2010, 02:27 PM
that's a fairly decent schedule. Wazzou could have a breakout game there though :D

Tulsa and Troy could be pretty competitive

better than ut's

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 02:27 PM
i know how you feel, i cant wait for the OU/Texas game now.

MichiganSooner
2/12/2010, 02:35 PM
OU-Texas is pretty close to the intensity of Michigan-Ohio State. People up north brag on the latter and we brag on the RRR. The 50/50 split at a neutral site is pretty cool. Too get over the hump and supass Michigan-Ohio State for good, as well as AL-Auburn, Army-Navy, Yankees-RedSox, and the rest I suggest the game be rescheduled. Play it as the last game of the regular season. Can you imagine how often the game could be between 2 unbeaten or maybe once beaten teams with the Big 12 South and National Championship implications on the line? Can you imagine the tv ratings? The entire nation would watch this game.

GKeeper316
2/12/2010, 02:50 PM
you credit it and then disregard the rivalry all in the same sentence.

yanks/boston > ou/texas

no way. not even close.

yankees fans and red sox fans at least treat each other with a modicum of civility.

theres nothing that can compare to the outright seething hatred between OU and the dirty brown cows.

TopDawg
2/12/2010, 03:18 PM
When I went to the OU/Alabama game down in Tuscaloosa, College Gameday was there. This meant that they brought all of their tv's with them and had several of the early games broadcast for all to see. The Alabama fans were glued to the Auburn/Georgia Tech game and if you couldn't see what they were wearing, you would've thought they were Georgia Tech fans.

I mean, I enjoy a Texas loss as much as the next guy, but these Bama fans were cheering for Georgia Tech with passion from the opening kickoff during a game in September.

I've seen my share of hatred between OU and the dirty brown cows...but I'd stop short of saying that there's nothing that can compare.

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 05:48 PM
Well I watched Texas-UTEP, and Texas-Wyoming and cheered like hell when Colt threw a pic! I HHHHHAAAAATTTTEEEEE BURT ORANGE. I get pissed when they say texas fight, texas fight, OU s*cks! We need to re-write the eyes of texas: a Sooner version

KantoSooner
2/12/2010, 05:53 PM
It's been done. It's called "I been workin' on the railroad'. A classic.

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 06:04 PM
It's been done. It's called "I been workin' on the railroad'. A classic.

I'm not talking about a song that depicts what horns do after they graduate

westcoast_sooner
2/12/2010, 06:07 PM
I think Lid nailed it. I've only been to 3 OU/Texas games ('99, 2000 and 2003). I can't imagine going to a better overall experience than the State Fair, the insanity of getting into the game, the Makers in your cup (has to be Makers and not Jack, IMO), the cheers from both sides and all the rest.

My son and I have made several treks to other venues (Rose Bowl, Michigan, between the hedges) but NONE have the same feeling. I'll admit to wanting to go to the "Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" some year, or a night game at LSU, but so far, OU/Texas is tops in my book.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 06:13 PM
Well let me put it this way, my 1st OU-texas was The Superman Game. I was at the game 01, 02, 03, and 04. Every since then I have not been to the game in person but I still make the trek to Dallas every year to party it up, soak in the atmosphere, and watch the game in a bar.

Now I know there are lots of good rivalries but I dont know a whole lot that are so cool that fans are willing to drive hours away just to go sit in a bar because of the atmosphere of the rivalry.

bluedogok
2/13/2010, 12:00 AM
yankees fans and red sox fans at least treat each other with a modicum of civility.
They do? That's a surprise to me as a Sox fan at a game at Yankee Stadium. The rudest that I have seen (in baseball) is the way Cards fans act towards the Cubs fans (both at the old Busch Stadium and Wrigley), it was downright disgusting and worse than anything that I have seen in Dallas...granted, I haven't been to that game in 10 years.

The pro baseball, basketball and hockey rivalries are just different, mainly because (as others noted) they play each other so often. A Sox-Yankees game is intense but with 18 games against each other and 162 total games, it is just one game of many so that kinda knocks it down a little on my scale. NFL rivalries are closer to college football because they play only twice a season, still not the same as the college rivalries though. One of these years I will attend all of the major rivalry college games just for the experience.

Collier11
2/13/2010, 12:01 AM
I have been to 4 or 5 Cards/Cubs games and I am a Cards fan but I have never seen a Cards fan treat a Cubs fan badly, moreso we just feel sorry for them as they act like osu fans

bluedogok
2/13/2010, 12:08 AM
Well, this was right after the Sosa corked bat episode, that and July 4th in Chicago I think the Cards fans were a bit to lubricated...it was worse in Chicago than it was in Busch. It wasn't just the "young punks" either, some of those people reminded me of the old coots that you heard OU-Texas stories about, like throwing furniture out of the windows of The Adolphus and stuff.

I kind of like both of them, it was just a bit surprising to me.

Collier11
2/13/2010, 12:14 AM
heh, coolest moment ever for me was Cards/Cubs when McGwire hit 46 and Sosa hit 42, stadium held 48k I think and there was 2 or 3 grand more there than shoulda been, electric...stupid steroids

bluedogok
2/13/2010, 12:19 AM
The steroid thing doesn't bother me, I just look at it as it was "allowed" at the time and you just have to assume all were doing it as they all had access to them. I don't know why some get so worked up about it, the sports evolves/changes over time. Could you imagine if guys like Mantle or Ruth took care of themselves with diet/working out like even the average player does nowadays?

Collier11
2/13/2010, 12:22 AM
It doesnt bother me as much either as I think atleast 80% of the ballplayers were using, it just sucks that McGwires record is finally, officially tainted

Eielson
2/13/2010, 12:54 AM
yanks/boston > ou/texas

Calling a baseball rivalry the biggest rivalry in sports is laughable. A baseball "rivalry" is kind of a joke. You can give it all you got, and you still may not play any better for it. It's a sport almost completely dependent on skill. Having "heart" is almost a complete non-factor once you start the game...which is what truly makes a rivalry great.

No pro sports rivalry can compete with a college rivalry. A pro team is just one sport, while a college has an effect on EVERY sport. We don't even have to like the sport, but we love it when OU beats Texas. Boston's basketball rivalry isn't the Knicks, it's the Lakers. A team that's like 2,000 miles away.

As for UNC/Duke, when is the last time anybody was excited for their football game?

OSU/Michigan doesn't excite me for any sport. It's more media hype than anything. Does anybody even watch their football game anymore?

oudavid1
2/13/2010, 05:05 AM
Calling a baseball rivalry the biggest rivalry in sports is laughable. A baseball "rivalry" is kind of a joke. You can give it all you got, and you still may not play any better for it. It's a sport almost completely dependent on skill. Having "heart" is almost a complete non-factor once you start the game...which is what truly makes a rivalry great.

No pro sports rivalry can compete with a college rivalry. A pro team is just one sport, while a college has an effect on EVERY sport. We don't even have to like the sport, but we love it when OU beats Texas. Boston's basketball rivalry isn't the Knicks, it's the Lakers. A team that's like 2,000 miles away.

As for UNC/Duke, when is the last time anybody was excited for their football game?

OSU/Michigan doesn't excite me for any sport. It's more media hype than anything. Does anybody even watch their football game anymore?

Well explained

Leroy Lizard
2/13/2010, 05:41 AM
The greatest rivalries are found in college sports because of tradition. The games go much farther back. Also, the players are typically more regional, so rosters either are composed of traitors or patriots.

Think about AD. Sure, Green Bay fans probably don't care for him because he plays for the Vikes, but he isn't from Minnesota or Wisconsin. But he is from Texas and he played for the Sooners (aka Operation Rescue). When he signed on with OU, that had to hurt a bunch of feelings.

We have our own traitorous bastards. One I remember was from Norman. Berriman? He played safety for the Longhorns and Switzer turned him into a laughing stock.

I judge rivalries by the number of fistfights that break out in the streets over the game. Gotta' go with OU/Texas.

LePetomaine
2/13/2010, 10:45 AM
I am biased, but I still do not see a better rivalry atmosphere than this game. The best description I've heard is this: several years ago, after the Yankees won the World Series, one of their pitchers had also played football at UT (can't remember his name, or what spot he played). A reporter asked him if game 7 was the best moment in his sports career. The guy said "No, standing in the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl before the OU/TX game was the best moment."

'nuff said

soonerloyal
2/13/2010, 01:57 PM
Army/NAVY is indeed one of the best by far, and it's not at all hateful. What other rivals sing each others' school songs at the conclusion of the game? Just thinking about singing that horn song is like pouring acid on my vocal chords.

Besides, it's just my opinion, but the sheer venom in the behavior of some fans at the RRS couldn't possibly be worse between fans of any other schools - it's been that way for decades. I've never felt such hatred against someone as I did in '04 when a texas fan told me he wished my Marine son (just back from Iraq) would've died over there so he wouldn't have to put up with him being in the same line. That's not rivalry, that's major failure as a human being. I'll never forget that game or that subhuman face as long as I live...

StoopTroup
2/13/2010, 02:57 PM
Just because the RRSO is the best in College Football doesn't mean we should stand for +exas trying to make changes and deals when they are about to go on another 5 season losing streak against us minimum. :D

For more on this...may I refer you to this...

How to handle +exas (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2831277#post2831277)

oudavid1
2/13/2010, 03:55 PM
Army/NAVY is indeed one of the best by far, and it's not at all hateful. What other rivals sing each others' school songs at the conclusion of the game? Just thinking about singing that horn song is like pouring acid on my vocal chords.

Besides, it's just my opinion, but the sheer venom in the behavior of some fans at the RRS couldn't possibly be worse between fans of any other schools - it's been that way for decades. I've never felt such hatred against someone as I did in '04 when a texas fan told me he wished my Marine son (just back from Iraq) would've died over there so he wouldn't have to put up with him being in the same line. That's not rivalry, that's major failure as a human being. I'll never forget that game or that subhuman face as long as I live...

Wow, God Bless your son and thank him for his service to this land (which in that idiot lives too) and im sorry some idiot would ever say something about a servicemen

DakotaSooner
2/13/2010, 04:20 PM
Army vs Navy

TahoeSOONER
2/13/2010, 07:00 PM
Not in all of sports.

OU/tx is truly bad blood and a Rivalry that can't be touched. I've seen every single major BCS bowl and I don't get the hatred feel I get with those shorthorns in the cotton.

Recent history is only adding to it and I just don't see it slowing down anytime soon, we're living in epic times for the greatest rivalry in the land.

SPuL
2/14/2010, 06:32 AM
I don't think OU-Texas is best rivalry.

you can credit ESPN for hyping up other rivalries, but in my life time, I remember a lot more MEMORABLE entertaining events in rivalries such as Boston-NY, UNC-Duke, Chelsea-Manchester United (English Premier league soccer), etc.

I don't think any other rivalry has something as big as What the Red Sox did to the Yanks in the ALCS in 2004. Coming back from 3-0 against your MOST HATED, ARCH RIVAL and winning the series, which propells you to first world series win in 86 years? Tell me any other moment in a rivalry that tops what the Red Sox fans must have felt that year.

but everyone see's the rivalry atmosphere they're immersed in as the biggest. Whether they mean too or not

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 02:32 PM
I don't think any other rivalry has something as big as What the Red Sox did to the Yanks in the ALCS in 2004. Coming back from 3-0 against your MOST HATED, ARCH RIVAL and winning the series, which propells you to first world series win in 86 years? Tell me any other moment in a rivalry that tops what the Red Sox fans must have felt that year.

Sure.

When my son's pee-wee basketball team beat its rival for the opportunity to go to Mr. Fletcher's farm and milk cows, that was more exciting than some freakin' baseball game.

You bore me with your baseball stories!

Baseball!

Boring!

SPuL
2/14/2010, 08:47 PM
^except the title of this thread said "best rivalry in SPORTS" not "best rivalry in FOOTBALL."

SPuL
2/14/2010, 08:49 PM
^except the title of this thread said "best rivalry in SPORTS" not "best rivalry in FOOTBALL."

KantoSooner
2/15/2010, 03:05 PM
Let's put it this way: what other two states, in modern history, have had armed borders with threats to blow the bridges between them? OK and TX under our hilarious Gov. 'Alfalfa' Bill Murray. (although he personally hated coll sports)

You might argue Michigan/OSU or the rest, and you might cite fist fights etc, but no other teams, to my knowledge, have had troops mobilized to fight the other state in living memory.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/15/2010, 03:54 PM
the only thing Ohio State-Michigan has going for it is that it's played later in the year... and the winner usually goes straight to the rose bowl.

TexasLidig8r
2/15/2010, 04:59 PM

OH please! :rolleyes:

If you wish to pull one game or series out of the 30,000,000,000,000 they have played... knock yourself out.

But, the for the most part, their games are played as part of an endless line of continuing, mostly irrelevant games as forgettable as changing the newspapers in a bird cage.

Great.. a bunch of blue collar, uneducated auto mechanics in Boston get hyped up when their basebore team plays a team supported by a bunch of blue collar, uneducated, auto mechanics in the Bronx. Big deal.

The Eastern Sports Promotional Network pimps NY v. Red Socks because they are based on the east coast, for the most part, college sports are non-existent in the northeast.. (ooooh.. how about that Amherst v. Middlebury game!!) and suckers buy into it.

Quickly now... who won the most games of the what... 16 they played last year? or the year before? or the year before? At any one of those games, was the crowd evenly split?

Texas - OU is unique to college football.. in most years, this one game transcends college football. People talk about this game for months, if not years.. afterwards...

Red Sox v. Yanks? Pulleaze.. the very next day, they are talking about that tough upcoming road trip to Baltimore... or Seattle. :rolleyes:

Eielson
2/15/2010, 05:08 PM

Coming back from down 3-0 would feel good against anybody. If that's what it takes to feel good about a rivalry, then it isn't too good of a rivalry.

Sabanball
2/15/2010, 05:08 PM
I guess it depends on how you define a 'rivalry'. The RRS is definitely one of the best ones out there, but I think you could make case also for some others, such as the iron bowl and Ohio St/Michigan.

East Coast Bias
2/15/2010, 05:23 PM
SPUL-I don't think they understand the whole Red-Sox-Yankee thing. I am not a baseball fan at all but I can tell you from living up here the rivalry is the real deal. I enjoy ribbing Patriots fans,but I do not mess with Red-Sox fans. Your house would get fire-bombed in my town for talking Yankee.Baseball is king up here much as Football is in the south.

SPuL
2/15/2010, 07:38 PM
repost

SPuL
2/15/2010, 07:40 PM
Coming back from down 3-0 would feel good against anybody. If that's what it takes to feel good about a rivalry, then it isn't too good of a rivalry.

And where exactly did I say that was ALL that defined the rivalry? Learn to read bud.

If you could read, you would have noticed I said, I quote, "I don't think any other rivalry has something as big as What the Red Sox did to the Yanks in the ALCS in 2004."

And just for arguments sake, I HATE both the Red Sox and the Yankees (Mariners fan). But I know a great rivalry when I see one.

OH please! :rolleyes:

If you wish to pull one game or series out of the 30,000,000,000,000 they have played... knock yourself out.

I'll add you to the list of those who forgot how to read. Read previous reply to quote

But, the for the most part, their games are played as part of an endless line of continuing, mostly irrelevant games as forgettable as changing the newspapers in a bird cage.
Forgettable? HAHAHA try saying that to Red Sox and Yankees fans.

Maybe if the Sox and Yanks WEREN'T in the same division I could see your argument. But they ARE. The Yanks won their division last year by 6 or 8 games. So those 18 "irrelevant" and "forgettable" games are pretty damn important. That's pretty laughable if you ask me.

Great.. a bunch of blue collar, uneducated auto mechanics in Boston get hyped up when their basebore team plays a team supported by a bunch of blue collar, uneducated, auto mechanics in the Bronx. Big deal.
Really now? You don't see me calling you and anyone else in texas a bunch of red neck inbred rifle toting low lifes do you? Using FALSE steretypes ftl!

The Eastern Sports Promotional Network pimps NY v. Red Socks because they are based on the east coast, for the most part, college sports are non-existent in the northeast.. (ooooh.. how about that Amherst v. Middlebury game!!) and suckers buy into it.
Who cares about how they promote it. But I'm talking actual games. Incidents. Events. That can back up why the rivalry is one of the best

Quickly now... who won the most games of the what... 16 they played last year? or the year before? or the year before? At any one of those games, was the crowd evenly split?
It was split 9-9 out of the 18 games they played. The Red Sox won the first 8 then Yanks went 9-1 in last 10. The Yanks and Sox met for a 4 game series with Yanks holding a 2 or 3 game division lead in the middle of the season. the Yanks SWEPT them Sox. You try and tell me that wasn't a HUGE factor for the Yanks being able to hold off the Sox for the division title last year.

Texas - OU is unique to college football.. in most years, this one game transcends college football. People talk about this game for months, if not years.. afterwards...
Maybe around Texas and Oklahoma.

Red Sox v. Yanks? Pulleaze.. the very next day, they are talking about that tough upcoming road trip to Baltimore... or Seattle. :rolleyes:

From your comment it's very easy to tell that you have a strong disliking for the game of baseball and that you have a distaste for the cities of Boston or New York. So it's only obvious you'd think the way you do.

SPUL-I don't think they understand the whole Red-Sox-Yankee thing. I am not a baseball fan at all but I can tell you from living up here the rivalry is the real deal. I enjoy ribbing Patriots fans,but I do not mess with Red-Sox fans. Your house would get fire-bombed in my town for talking Yankee.Baseball is king up here much as Football is in the south.

^exactly. Kids in my high school got bullied if they were a Yanks fan. Freshman year kid had a Yanks hat on, and the teacher wouldn't start the class unless he took it off.

I'm not saying Texas vs. Oklahoma isn't big. I'm sure it is. But IMO, I'd say Red Sox-Yankees have a lot more games and incidents to stake it's claim as best rivalry then Texas-Oklahoma does.

Honestly tho, for those who've been able to watch the game since the 60's, what do you consider the greatest game, or moment of the rivalry? Just a question

SPuL
2/15/2010, 07:44 PM
okay i don't know why my last post isn't showing. But to add to that, I went around the net, just searching articles written about best rivalries. And OU-Texas is always at bottom of top 10.

And I take that back about Red Sox-Yankees. I personally think Lakers-Celtics is bigger. They have almost 30 championships between them. That's almost half of the total number of NBA championship games played all time.

Collier11
2/15/2010, 07:51 PM
And where exactly did I say that was ALL that defined the rivalry? Learn to read bud.

If you could read, you would have noticed I said, I quote, "I don't think any other rivalry has something as big as What the Red Sox did to the Yanks in the ALCS in 2004."

And just for arguments sake, I HATE both the Red Sox and the Yankees (Mariners fan). But I know a great rivalry when I see one.

From your comment it's very easy to tell that you have a strong disliking for the game of baseball and that you have a distaste for the cities of Boston or New York. So it's only obvious you'd think the way you do.

^exactly. Kids in my high school got bullied if they were a Yanks fan. Freshman year kid had a Yanks hat on, and the teacher wouldn't start the class unless he took it off.

I'm not saying Texas vs. Oklahoma isn't big. I'm sure it is. But IMO, I'd say Red Sox-Yankees have a lot more games and incidents to stake it's claim as best rivalry then Texas-Oklahoma does.

Honestly tho, for those who've been able to watch the game since the 60's, what do you consider the greatest game, or moment of the rivalry? Just a question

Ok, ill bite...Im a huge baseball fan, The Cardinals were my team before the Sooners were although barely. The Cardinals have always been rivals of the pathetic Cubs and in the last decade we have had a pretty good rivalry with the astros and played some great games and playoff series with them. When the Cards are on tv I watch regardless but im no more attentive when they play those two teams than any other time because unless the games are being played in September the rivalry games are no different than any other game.

Now, if the Cards play either of those two teams in September im glued to the tv but I wouldve been either way.

In football our whole season often hinges on what happens in that October battle with ut. It is way more meaningful than any baseball rivalry ever could be.

SoonerInKCMO
2/15/2010, 08:21 PM
Let's put it this way: what other two states, in modern history, have had armed borders with threats to blow the bridges between them? OK and TX under our hilarious Gov. 'Alfalfa' Bill Murray. (although he personally hated coll sports)

You might argue Michigan/OSU or the rest, and you might cite fist fights etc, but no other teams, to my knowledge, have had troops mobilized to fight the other state in living memory.

It might have been a number of years earlier, but actually invading Kansas from Missouri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Massacre) and burning Lawrence the f*** down is a lot more hard-core than 'threatening' to blow up a bridge or two.

They don't play up there:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ToddG/Scoreboard.jpg

meoveryouxinfinity
2/15/2010, 09:29 PM
USA- USSR.

Eielson
2/15/2010, 10:25 PM

I'm completely incapable of reading. You got me. :rolleyes:

You see, it's really easy to make an irrefutable argument when you leave nothing to refute. You gave absolutely no support to your claim other than perhaps the one that I showed was irrelevant. Of course, since I showed it was irrelevant, that wasn't your point.

Hopefully this response made sense, because I'm really not sure it did. Like you said, I can't read, so this probably has nothing to do with what you were saying. Actually, I'm not even sure you said I can't read, because...well, I can't read.

Eielson
2/15/2010, 10:37 PM
Kids in my high school got bullied if they were a Yanks fan. Freshman year kid had a Yanks hat on, and the teacher wouldn't start the class unless he took it off.

That's probably because you aren't allowed to wear hats in school.

Regardless, talk trash to us, and we'll rip your balls off. Yeah, it's happened.

But IMO, I'd say Red Sox-Yankees have a lot more games and incidents to stake it's claim as best rivalry then Texas-Oklahoma does.

Incident? Do you mean like when the batter runs at the pitcher, throws a few punches but misses, and gets tackled by the catcher to start a huge dogpile? You can't forget about when the bullpen runs out with their cute little jackets and has an adorable little group hug. It's a great moment for their mothers to take a picture.

XingTheRubicon
2/15/2010, 10:37 PM
I have been to 18 straight OU - Texas games.

Saw a guy pee in a trash can. Saw a chick punch another chick in the cheek. (both Sooners unfortunately) Listened to a kegged, fat, obnoxious texas whore slander the state of Oklahoma on the ramp in '93. All I said was "thanks, Shamu" She flicked a cigarette at me. Luckily, it hit my brother. He called her a very bad name that no women feels comfortable with. Every year, after the game on the way to the car if we're feeling good about things, we stop and get taffy for the kids. The kids haven't got a lot of ****ing taffy lately.

It's my favorite 3 hours of the year. It means so much. The combination of them being humiliated and Sooner fans floating on a cloud of glee is a narcotic that I have yet to find an equal.

With that said, Yankees/Red Sox is the greatest rivalry in sports. It's hard to explain why, and I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind...don't really want to. It just is.

Collier11
2/15/2010, 11:15 PM
If it didnt get pimped out by ESPN it would be no bigger than any other major rivalry just like Duke/unc

Eielson
2/15/2010, 11:23 PM
Duke/UNC is to college basketball what OU/Texas is to college football. I'm just not sure that it carries over to other sports like football.

josh09
2/15/2010, 11:26 PM
Being a quarter Scottish, I really like soccer. My team is the Glasgow Rangers, from Scotland, if you didnt know where the city of Glasgow is, whose rival is the Glasgow Celtic. These two teams have played since the 1880's, and the city of Glasgow is basically evenly divided. Celtic are known to be the Catholics, and Rangers the Protestants. Celtic are also known to have many Irish fans which could be why their colors are green and white, and if you didn't know, the rivalry between the Irish and Scottish is huge. This is seen as an insult to the Rangers, who are all for their country of Scotland. Plus, there's the point that European football (soccer), IMO, is crazier and more emotional than American football, mainly college football (because the NFL has no real emotion to me).

So, when you say all of sports, you mean ALL of the world, right? In my opinion, the Rangers-Celtic matchup is the biggest rivalry in the world, with OU-Texas being a close second. If you know noting about this rivalry, read up about it. It's very intense.

Collier11
2/15/2010, 11:31 PM
Soccer doesnt count, those people would murder a fan from the other team as opposed to being seen with them, that isnt a rivalry, that is a sadist cult, lol

josh09
2/15/2010, 11:31 PM
Now if we're talking in the nation, I'd have to say OU-Texas, without a doubt. In my opinion, Yankees-Red Sox is boring. I've tried getting into that series, but I just can't. Here's my list for America:

1. OU-Texas
2. Duke-UNC
3. Ohio St.-Michigan
4. Army-Navy
5. Lakers-Celtics

josh09
2/15/2010, 11:32 PM
Soccer doesnt count, those people would murder a fan from the other team as opposed to being seen with them, that isnt a rivalry, that is a sadist cult, lol

Yet we cut off nutsacks :D

XingTheRubicon
2/15/2010, 11:32 PM
If it didnt get pimped out by ESPN, Sporting News, SI, and 80 million more fans than would ever watch a RRS, it would be no bigger than any other major rivalry just like Duke/unc

Fixed. There's a whole lot of world out there past Okemah.

Collier11
2/15/2010, 11:35 PM
who is from Okemah

Collier11
2/15/2010, 11:42 PM
Ummm...OU vs tex drew over 15 million viewers, Boston vs NY not close to that

bluedogok
2/15/2010, 11:42 PM
Yet we cut off nutsacks :D
RIP OFF.....geez, get your nutsack dismemberment right :D

josh09
2/15/2010, 11:52 PM
RIP OFF.....geez, get your nutsack dismemberment right :D

Of course, we don't need weapons or knives! hahaha

XingTheRubicon
2/16/2010, 12:08 AM
Ummm...OU vs tex drew over 15 million viewers, Boston vs NY not close to that

Hey man, I'm on your side. I love OU/Texas. However, I don't think you want to bring up viewership or advertising dollars. OU/UT is not a pimple on the a** of Yankees/Boston dollars wise.

It's a bigger rivalry to me and you. It's a bigger rivalry to Oklahomans and Texans. Perhaps we should just leave it at that.

Collier11
2/16/2010, 12:10 AM
I realize that nationwide, NY Vs Boston is a bigger deal but the fact is that NY and Bos play 15-20 times a year and never hit the number that OU vs tex apparently hit if my numbers are correct and thats on a national scale

XingTheRubicon
2/16/2010, 12:16 AM
I realize that nationwide, NY Vs Boston is a bigger deal

that's all I was sayin

Collier11
2/16/2010, 12:23 AM
My point though was that if it werent for ESPN and places like that pimping it out, it might not be so. If OU/tx got the coverage that Florida and bama get, it would be just as big nationally IMO

KantoSooner
2/16/2010, 10:54 AM
It might have been a number of years earlier, but actually invading Kansas from Missouri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Massacre) and burning Lawrence the f*** down is a lot more hard-core than 'threatening' to blow up a bridge or two.

They don't play up there:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ToddG/Scoreboard.jpg

Indeed, you have me. Point well made. I can only plead that it was before football (truly 'the beforetime') and hasn't been much of a sports rivalry. Still, your point is well made.

If we all want to look at world class sports rivalries, though, South American soccer has to rank right up there. I mean, their countries have actually gone to war. And not just for a nifty raid or two.

Christopher Hitchens had a great article in Newsweek about the incompatibility of sporting competition with peace. I disagree with him regarding sport in society, I like vicious rivalries, but have to agree with his point that sporting rivalries do NOT bring out the best in people in terms of love, and world peace. But, hey, we're selfish primates, we're going to be that way.

MrJimBeam
2/16/2010, 12:13 PM
HOOK'EM......................................FAGS! !

TexasLidig8r
2/16/2010, 02:26 PM
Bobby Fischer vs. Boris Spassky was epic!!!

SPuL
2/16/2010, 06:45 PM
Ok, ill bite...Im a huge baseball fan, The Cardinals were my team before the Sooners were although barely. The Cardinals have always been rivals of the pathetic Cubs and in the last decade we have had a pretty good rivalry with the astros and played some great games and playoff series with them. When the Cards are on tv I watch regardless but im no more attentive when they play those two teams than any other time because unless the games are being played in September the rivalry games are no different than any other game.

Now, if the Cards play either of those two teams in September im glued to the tv but I wouldve been either way.

In football our whole season often hinges on what happens in that October battle with ut. It is way more meaningful than any baseball rivalry ever could be.

I get your point man. But that game DOESN'T crown a national champion. It basically gives one team a large upper hand on the other to win the conference AND a chance to play in college football's equivalent of the post season (the BCS title game, or BCS bowl game).

At same time, the 18 games the Red Sox-Yanks plays a HUGE role on who wins the division and gets into the MLB play-offs for shot at World Series. Many seasons the gap between the two teams at end of season is within 5 games. So those 18 games are big.

The "Season hinging on game" argument holds true for both rivalries.

I'm completely incapable of reading. You got me. :rolleyes:

You see, it's really easy to make an irrefutable argument when you leave nothing to refute. You gave absolutely no support to your claim other than perhaps the one that I showed was irrelevant. Of course, since I showed it was irrelevant, that wasn't your point.

Hopefully this response made sense, because I'm really not sure it did. Like you said, I can't read, so this probably has nothing to do with what you were saying. Actually, I'm not even sure you said I can't read, because...well, I can't read.

It really didn't make sense. No sarcasm intended.

That's probably because you aren't allowed to wear hats in school.
Regardless, talk trash to us, and we'll rip your balls off. Yeah, it's happened.

Incident? Do you mean like when the batter runs at the pitcher, throws a few punches but misses, and gets tackled by the catcher to start a huge dogpile? You can't forget about when the bullpen runs out with their cute little jackets and has an adorable little group hug. It's a great moment for their mothers to take a picture.

You can wear hats in school. And again, just stop. You're making no sense

I have been to 18 straight OU - Texas games.

Saw a guy pee in a trash can. Saw a chick punch another chick in the cheek. (both Sooners unfortunately) Listened to a kegged, fat, obnoxious texas whore slander the state of Oklahoma on the ramp in '93. All I said was "thanks, Shamu" She flicked a cigarette at me. Luckily, it hit my brother. He called her a very bad name that no women feels comfortable with. Every year, after the game on the way to the car if we're feeling good about things, we stop and get taffy for the kids. The kids haven't got a lot of ****ing taffy lately.

It's my favorite 3 hours of the year. It means so much. The combination of them being humiliated and Sooner fans floating on a cloud of glee is a narcotic that I have yet to find an equal.

With that said, Yankees/Red Sox is the greatest rivalry in sports. It's hard to explain why, and I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind...don't really want to. It just is.
Truth.

SPuL
2/16/2010, 06:47 PM
Also again, forget all this Duke/UNC and Red Sox/Yanks crap.

I'm bringing up Celtics/Lakers. I mean you want to talk about "seasons hinging on a game", these two have played for the NBA title ELEVEN times in NBA history.

I went to game 1 of their NBA finals 2 years ago (Fan of neither team, just it's one of those things you HAVE to be able to say you witnessed being a sports fan) and it was pretty amazing.

but

josh09
2/17/2010, 12:04 PM
Also again, forget all this Duke/UNC and Red Sox/Yanks crap.

I'm bringing up Celtics/Lakers. I mean you want to talk about "seasons hinging on a game", these two have played for the NBA title ELEVEN times in NBA history.

I went to game 1 of their NBA finals 2 years ago (Fan of neither team, just it's one of those things you HAVE to be able to say you witnessed being a sports fan) and it was pretty amazing.

but

I agree, but the only problem is, this USED to be a rivalry. You have to admit it, it's just not the same anymore. Back 20 and 30 years ago, there was hate between these two teams. Not anymore. I'm not saying it's not a huge rivalry anymore, because it is. But back then, I would have put it at least in the top 2 in the country, if not the world.

And to just make a point, I'm really sick of all this Yankees-Sox talk. There is no way a baseball rivalry can compare to a college football one. Yes, I know theres history, but just the fact that they play many times a year takes away from it. With OU-texas or Michigan-Ohio St. happening once a year, all the emotion, hate, and passion coming from a year off of not seeing each other comes out in these games. I've been to a Yanks-Sox game too, and maybe I'm being biased, but it's just not the same.

SPuL
2/17/2010, 01:14 PM
^true points. As for Celtics/Lakers, I agree it's been a while. But I don't kno if the OP as talking about best rivalry EVER or best rivalry currently. Because every rivalry has a phase where one team sucks, or both teams suck, and the rivalry just isn't that big except among the fans of each team.

Eielson
2/17/2010, 05:31 PM
It really didn't make sense. No sarcasm intended.

Because you can't read...

You can wear hats in school.

Maybe in your uncivilized, northern society.

Eielson
2/17/2010, 05:35 PM
I'm a Lakers fan, and no, Lakers-Celtics isn't anywhere near OU-Texas. Lakers-Celtics didn't even matter recently until the Celtics traded their future for KG and Allen.

Collier11
2/17/2010, 05:40 PM
Lakers- Celtics died the same time the NBA sold out real basketball for the best athletes instead of basketball players.

Rivalries in pro sports are hard to buy into because of the vast overpayment of the athletes and the fact that they move teams so much

SPuL
2/17/2010, 07:41 PM
OU-Texas is big. I'm not doubting that.

But I've searched plenty of top 10 rivalry lists around the net from ESPN, SI, to other sporting sites, etc. The highest I've seen the rivalry get was 5. Red Sox-Yankees and Celtics-Lakers were almost always in top 5.

Not to mention ESPN's sportsnation poll, OU-Texas only got 6%. Red Sox-Yankees got like the most with 46%, only Oklahoma thought OU-Texas was best rivalry.

I'm sorry, some of you are calling me out on disagreeing, but I'm not the only one. I just don't see how OU-Texas is the best rivalry when nobody outside Texas or Oklahoma even consider it top 5. That's all I'm saying.

Because you can't read...

Maybe in your uncivilized, northern society.

You make your self look worse off with every comment you make. Please just stop for all our sakes. Okay? :)

Collier11
2/17/2010, 07:49 PM
Because like I said above, most professional rivalries arent even really rivalries anymore.

Collier11
2/17/2010, 07:50 PM
You can wear hats in school. And again, just stop. You're making no sense

In the majority of highschools you cannot wear hats

Eielson
2/17/2010, 09:13 PM
But I've searched plenty of top 10 rivalry lists around the net from ESPN, SI, to other sporting sites, etc. The highest I've seen the rivalry get was 5. Red Sox-Yankees and Celtics-Lakers were almost always in top 5.

If ESPN said it, it must be right.

josh09
2/18/2010, 04:24 PM
The main point is that ESPN has blown up the Yanks-Sox rivalry, more than it should be, in my opinion. Thats why in all these national polls, people vote for that rivalry. The south votes for OU-texas in college football, whereas the north votes for Ohio St.-Michigan. But if Michigan can't end this losing streak soon, or at least bring back their program, I think more people are going to start leaning to the RRR.

SPuL
2/19/2010, 06:04 PM
The main point is that ESPN has blown up the Yanks-Sox rivalry, more than it should be, in my opinion. Thats why in all these national polls, people vote for that rivalry. The south votes for OU-texas in college football, whereas the north votes for Ohio St.-Michigan. But if Michigan can't end this losing streak soon, or at least bring back their program, I think more people are going to start leaning to the RRR.

Well, in the poll. Oklahoma was the only state to have OU/Tex the best out of the rivalries listed. I believe Texas had Red Sox/Yankees higher.

But still, I think it all just ends up with a regional bias. Those who live and grew up around one rivalry will almost always consider that the best rivalry of them all.

If ESPN said it, it must be right.
Learn to read. It was a sportsnation POLL. It was the FANS across the nation. So what are you trying to say? Only sports fans from THIS forum have an opinion that is correct and everyone else's doesn't make sense?

Again, making yourself look less intelligent with every post you make.

In the majority of highschools you cannot wear hats

maybe down south. But i've lived in NJ, VT, CT, and MA. In New England you're allowed too. Only exception is vulgar messages on hat or alcohol promotion (i.e. Bud Light logos)

SPuL
2/19/2010, 06:05 PM
Oh btw, Eilson, I laughed at your neg reps. What are you? 13?

Grow up.

goingoneight
2/19/2010, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty sure there's not a whole lot of fans in New York or Boston guaging the success of their season on the Boston/NY rivalry game(s).

I'm pretty sure it's just baseball, too.

KantoSooner
2/19/2010, 06:30 PM
It's hard for me to accept baseball rivalries as real (and I had a girlfriend from the Bronx and went to undergrad in Mass, so, yes, I'm aware of the Sox/Bombers competition) for the reason that the 'sport' sucks (mostly a bunch of guys standing around waiting for something to happen; sort of a more athletically challenging version of darts) and each game is utterly meaningless. (in what other 'sport' can you be 17-20 games out of first heading into the last two months (consider that last, a season that lasts longer than a third world infant) nad still be in striking distance. It's a joke.

Now basketball is a sport. Probably the finest athletes on the planet. But the comments about pros above are correct. hard to feel intense about a collection of guys who change twice a year with the loyalty of Tijuana 'girlfriends'.

Nope, for a real rivalry, you must have an event that is meaningful in itself, a one day event that can make or break a season. Second you need a 'sport' that is also a simulacrum for war. Only three make the grade from my perspective: soccer, football and rugby. Take your pick of great rivalries out of these and I will honor your personal fealty to your own great game.

Unless of course, you choose to include any Big East team.

Eielson
2/19/2010, 07:13 PM
Learn to read. It was a sportsnation POLL. It was the FANS across the nation. So what are you trying to say? Only sports fans from THIS forum have an opinion that is correct and everyone else's doesn't make sense?

"But I've searched plenty of top 10 rivalry lists around the net from ESPN, SI, to other sporting sites, etc. The highest I've seen the rivalry get was 5. Red Sox-Yankees and Celtics-Lakers were almost always in top 5."

I responded to this quote. Please tell me where that it says ANYTHING about a poll. It doesn't. It's kind of amusing that you think I'm the one that can't read...

Anyway, let's just say what I responded to did have something to do with that poll. It doesn't matter. I never voted in that poll, and most sports fan probably didn't. You took a very small percentage of sports fan, and act as if that represents the whole. You know who voted in those polls? ESPN's cult following. The fact that they voted on an ESPN poll proves that they were using ESPN.com. So basically you had a bunch of influenced voters doing what they were influenced to do. That doesn't prove anything.

Again, making yourself look less intelligent with every post you make.

I'm not really concerned with what ESPN's propaganda boy thinks about me.

SPuL
2/19/2010, 11:11 PM
"But I've searched plenty of top 10 rivalry lists around the net from ESPN, SI, to other sporting sites, etc. The highest I've seen the rivalry get was 5. Red Sox-Yankees and Celtics-Lakers were almost always in top 5."

I responded to this quote. Please tell me where that it says ANYTHING about a poll. It doesn't. It's kind of amusing that you think I'm the one that can't read...

Oh so you just decided to pick ONE of the examples and leave the others out? Such a brilliant argument you make, sir.

Anyway, let's just say what I responded to did have something to do with that poll. It doesn't matter. I never voted in that poll, and most sports fan probably didn't. You took a very small percentage of sports fan, and act as if that represents the whole. You know who voted in those polls? ESPN's cult following. The fact that they voted on an ESPN poll proves that they were using ESPN.com. So basically you had a bunch of influenced voters doing what they were influenced to do. That doesn't prove anything.

Seriously, just stop. What you said is so beyond stupid it's not even funny. I know a bunch of you bash ESPN, but I'm sure 95% of you STILL go on there to get your sports updates and information. I don't agree with some of the stuff ESPN said, but I do have a brain. I can make my on decisions on what I choose to believe. I'm sure that goes for a lot of people.

As for the poll, sure there are millions of fans who didn't vote. But from the millions who did, it still gives a glimpse into what the general consensus of fans believe. I mean, if OU/Texas was remotely close to the top of the leading vote getters, I could see your point. But when it receives only 6% while the top 2 rivalries got 30% and 40% of the votes, then definitely not.

I'm not really concerned with what ESPN's propaganda boy thinks about me.
Umm... I think you do. Seeing your nice little response you wrote up for me. :D

Eielson
2/20/2010, 12:43 AM
Oh so you just decided to pick ONE of the examples and leave the others out? Such a brilliant argument you make, sir.

What other examples are there? All you've been doing this whole time is saying "ESPN agrees with me, so if you don't agree you can't read and are stupid."

SPuL
2/20/2010, 01:12 PM
"But I've searched plenty of top 10 rivalry lists around the net from ESPN, SI, to other sporting sites, etc."

... did you purposely go over that or are those words still not in your vocabulary yet?

freshchris05
2/20/2010, 01:38 PM
I'll take the mighty ducks vs team iceland

SPuL
2/20/2010, 02:27 PM
^that's a good one for sure.

what about the Average Joes vs. the Purple Cobras? That got pretty heated.

Eielson
2/20/2010, 07:26 PM
"But I've searched plenty of top 10 rivalry lists around the net from ESPN, SI, to other sporting sites, etc."

... did you purposely go over that or are those words still not in your vocabulary yet?

ESPN and SI...that's not any better.

SPuL
2/20/2010, 08:15 PM
I swear, an infant could pick up on things quicker than you my friend.

Collier11
2/20/2010, 08:19 PM
you girls are cute

oudavid1
2/20/2010, 09:30 PM
I'll take the mighty ducks vs team iceland

Flying V!

Collier11
2/20/2010, 09:43 PM
knucklepuck

SPuL
2/20/2010, 10:29 PM
bash brothers

oudavid1
2/22/2010, 12:46 AM
bash brothers

Kenny Wu will kill Yu!

josh09
2/23/2010, 02:41 AM
bash brothers

I was one for halloween about 10 years ago. I was badass.

goingoneight
2/25/2010, 05:35 PM
When was the last time a baseball had to be held back like a caged animal by his coach before being unleashed to destroy his opponent in baseball?

SPuL
2/26/2010, 12:48 AM
huh? What are you talking about?

goingoneight
2/26/2010, 09:30 AM
Sorry... baseball "player" never managed to get typed/texted into that post.