PDA

View Full Version : So OU-Cincinnati is gonna Be neutral site game...

oudavid1
2/11/2010, 08:55 PM
During the 2007 season the University of Cincinnati football team sold out three home games at Nippert Stadium; it was the first time they had sold out a home game since Sept. 2, 2002, against Purdue University.

The Bearcats have yet to sellout a home game this season. However three of their four home games this season have seen crowds exceed 30,000 people. A sellout at Nippert Stadium is 35,097.

With the recent success of the Bearcat football program, the issue of moving select games to the Cincinnati Bengals’ Paul Brown Stadium which seats 65,535 people, has come up, according to UC Deputy Director of Athletics Bob Arkeilpane.

“There are games that would make more sense to play down at Paul Brown Stadium for a variety of reasons,” Arkeilpane said. “Financial being one of them.”

The last time the Bearcats played a game at Paul Brown Stadium was Sept. 21, 2002, when 66,319 people filled the stadium to watch UC take on The Ohio State Buckeyes.

“The OSU game played down there was very lucrative for UC. It certainly was very helpful to support the budget of this department,” Arkeilpane said. “Regardless of what the terms are, I know that game brought in more money to the university than games that we’ve had here at our own stadium.”

Despite having success in the past at Paul Brown Stadium, Arkeilpane and UC Director of Athletics Mike Thomas both feel it will have to be the right opponent before they make a decision.

“It’s going to take a certain kind of team, as it did with Ohio State a few years back to put the right numbers in the stadium,” Thomas said. “There’s probably only a handful of schools that can do that for you and we’ve talked to every one of them and there aren’t a lot of takers right now.”

One of the takers is the Oklahoma Sooners, who will play UC at Paul Brown Stadium during the 2010 season.

Although Oklahoma will come to Cincinnati, Arkeilpane said that just because UC has Paul Brown Stadium to house select games, it does not necessarily mean that teams will come here to play.

“We would love to play a team like [the University of Kentucky],”Arkeilpane said. “Quite frankly, they don’t want to play us right now.”

The issue has also come up of playing Big East Conference games at Paul Brown Stadium against teams that would likely bring a lot of their own fans.

“There may come a point in time where it may make sense to take a Louisville or a West Virginia down [to Paul Brown],” Arkeilpane said. “We haven’t scheduled any of those games yet.”

Within the next three seasons, UC will host at least three non-conference BCS schools – Oklahoma, NC State and Virginia Tech - that could draw big crowds to Cincinnati.

As of now, however, those games and all other games will be played at Nippert Stadium.

The first sellout of the year for the Bearcats will have to wait for at least two weeks as the Cats don’t have a home game until the ring of red game against the University of Pittsburgh on Nov. 22

http://www.newsrecord.org/sections/sports/uc-to-host-oklahoma-at-paul-brown-1.895123

Your Thoughts: Good Move? Bad Move? Dose it matter....?

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 09:01 PM
Yep. I'm glad it's in the bengals stadium

rawlingsHOH
2/11/2010, 10:35 PM
So OU-Cincinnati is gonna Be neutral site game...
No.

oudavid1
2/11/2010, 10:42 PM
No.

?????

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 10:44 PM
how is it neutral if its in the city of Cincy ? maybe i didn't read it right. i do suck at reading. lol

King Crimson
2/11/2010, 11:00 PM
3 of 4 home games exceeded 30,000 for an undefeated team, wow.

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 11:01 PM
yah exactly... maybe they really only do care about Basketball.

Dio
2/12/2010, 12:10 AM
"Nippert Stadium"

Heh

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 12:20 AM
I was just wondering what you guys thought of it being played at the Bengals stadium instead of on campus

Crucifax Autumn
2/12/2010, 12:28 AM
Who gives a shat which stadium cincinatti gets their testicles crushed in?

Collier11
2/12/2010, 12:30 AM
It is technically not at Cincys home stadium but it might as well be

King Crimson
2/12/2010, 12:50 AM
our last "neutral site" game in an NFL stadium still makes me want to take a big bite out of this pint glass.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/12/2010, 12:55 AM
It is technically not at Cincys home stadium but it might as well beIf it's in Cincinatti, it's not a neutral site...duh!

2/12/2010, 12:57 AM
our last "neutral site" game in an NFL stadium still makes me want to take a big bite out of this pint glass.Heck, that was closer to a home game for us than it was BYeffingU.

King Crimson
2/12/2010, 01:05 AM
Heck, that was closer to a home game for us than it was BYeffingU.

i know.

Collier11
2/12/2010, 01:07 AM
If it's in Cincinatti, it's not a neutral site...duh!

thats what I said

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 01:19 AM
Would they even fill the place if they cant fill there own?

yermom
2/12/2010, 01:25 AM
they can sell a lot more tickets to OU fans this way

although, we don't travel like tOSU does, i don't think...

i thought it was a done deal a long time ago that we were playing in the Bengals' stadium?

yermom
2/12/2010, 01:26 AM
our last "neutral site" game in an NFL stadium still makes me want to take a big bite out of this pint glass.

3 of the last 4 in NFL stadiums have sucked...

King Crimson
2/12/2010, 02:28 AM

i thought it was a done deal a long time ago that we were playing in the Bengals' stadium?

but tOSU traveling to Cincy is kinda like us playing at Tulsa. or Texas pretty much playing all their road games in the SWC. cough.

2/12/2010, 02:52 AM
thats what I saidHey, I wasn't talking to you...;)

Collier11
2/12/2010, 02:58 AM
you quoted me Dbag :D

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 02:59 AM
c11 go check my pics out on the south oval :D

Collier11
2/12/2010, 03:03 AM
go check out my Blake Griffin pics at the shack

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 03:06 AM
k

Ardmore_Sooner
2/12/2010, 09:12 AM

Miami ot Byu? Either way yah I agree.

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 09:19 AM
Miami ot Byu? Either way yah I agree.

Well technically thats Miami's home now

MojoRisen
2/12/2010, 09:25 AM
I'd say there will be about 50K people at the game, Nipert can only seat 35 so this is the right move. Also it has been planned to be played there for a couple of years now. I'll be there for that one

yermom
2/12/2010, 09:25 AM
but tOSU traveling to Cincy is kinda like us playing at Tulsa. or Texas pretty much playing all their road games in the SWC. cough.

i was thinking more like the ~30k that went to Austin

they were stacked in the basketball arena to watch the game in there

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 05:51 PM
What's the % / % turnout of UC / OU fans?

I see like 80/20. Might be much but I'd like to think we'd travel well

oudivesherpa
2/12/2010, 07:40 PM
Playing Cincinnati at Paul Brown stadium is like playing Notre Dame in Rome.

freshchris05
2/12/2010, 07:49 PM
Playing Cincinnati at Paul Brown stadium is like playing Notre Dame in Rome.

or playing mexico in texas.... :D

MamaMia
2/12/2010, 08:30 PM
or playing mexico in texas.... :D...or playing LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

bluedogok
2/12/2010, 11:37 PM

Kind of like when OU played KU at Arrowhead, that was a good football weekend with the Skins-Chiefs the next day The travel was good as well, a $500 total flight/hotel/rental car package for the two of us from Austin.

oudavid1
2/13/2010, 05:06 AM
Kind of like when OU played KU at Arrowhead, that was a good football weekend with the Skins-Chiefs the next day The travel was good as well, a $500 total flight/hotel/rental car package for the two of us from Austin.

It does seem like it may draw a little bit more attention, though i totally forgot about that OU/Kansas game...that was wierd

SoonerAtKU
2/16/2010, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking about going to this one. It's only 5 or 6 hours from STL, and I've only been to the airport in Cincinnati. For someone like me, it's kind of a shame it wouldn't be at the university, since I'd rather see a college campus than an NFL stadium and the parking lot. Oh well...

yermom
2/16/2010, 07:55 PM
true dat.

i had to wait 4 years to finally see a game in Lawrence. i had been there before though

JLEW1818
2/16/2010, 07:57 PM
when we leaving for Cincy? :D

btk108
2/16/2010, 10:25 PM
c11 go check my pics out on the south oval :D

Don't tell him what to do...yer not the boss of him :P

Collier11
2/16/2010, 11:25 PM
lets leave next weekend

Collier11
2/16/2010, 11:26 PM
lets leave next weekend

SoonerAtKU
2/17/2010, 10:58 AM
true dat.

i had to wait 4 years to finally see a game in Lawrence. i had been there before though

Don't get me started on this. I stayed at a house a few blocks from the stadium for almost 4 years and then the Oklahoma game? Bang, moved to Arrowhead. Went from a 10 minute walk to an hour drive. Pissed.

StoopTroup
2/17/2010, 11:08 AM
If Fans don't have to travel the same distance to the Neutral Site...it isn't even close to being neutral. I give you the RRSO. Yeah the distance is comparable....but it's still on the other side of the Red River. There really is no way to make that one neutral. whorns can continue to spew it's neutral....but we know the advantage leans heavier towards them.

Playing Mizzou in Arrowhead. Not neutral. Playing the gheyturds in Miami...not neutral. Playing lsu in the Superdome....not neutral.

Folks who say neutral site need to think it through a bit more IMO.

MamaMia
2/17/2010, 12:26 PM
There wont be anything "neutral" about this game. The fact that it'll be played in the Paul Brown Stadium will give the Bearcats an even bigger home team advantage because they'll enjoy the benefit of having thousands of Cincinnati Bengal fans there cheering for them.

Collier11
2/17/2010, 12:28 PM
We just need to take as many OU fans as possible, weve sold out other stadiums before. I spoke to a Cincy guy who said that there would be plenty of extra seats so in his opinion Cincy wouldnt have 50k there or anything like that

oudavid1
2/17/2010, 12:28 PM
There wont be anything "neutral" about this game. The fact that it'll be played in the Paul Brown Stadium will give the Bearcats an even bigger home team advantage because they'll enjoy the benefit of having thousands of Cincinnati Bengal fans there cheering for them.

Has does that really make pro fans care about bearcat football?

MamaMia
2/17/2010, 12:30 PM
Has does that really make pro fans care about bearcat football?What? :confused:

Question...Will the Bengal/Bearcat fans get first pick of all the primo seats?

josh09
2/17/2010, 12:32 PM
I guess this is a little better, it's gonna cause less students to show up, at least.

SoonerAtKU
2/17/2010, 01:34 PM
so it turns out the Bengals' stadium is only 2.5 miles south of the University. Might not be too far to go after all.

MamaMia
2/17/2010, 05:14 PM
I guess this is a little better, it's gonna cause less students to show up, at least.
Why would less students show up?

Collier11
2/17/2010, 05:33 PM
so it turns out the Bengals' stadium is only 2.5 miles south of the University. Might not be too far to go after all.

well its 4 miles but same difference, not a huge deal

soonerfan28
2/17/2010, 06:27 PM
Its only 870 miles from Norman to Cincinnati so ya it's obviously a neutral site game.

SoonerMom2
2/18/2010, 03:09 AM
Ohio State is home to Eastern Michigan that day which is no big deal for The OSU but they fill up the horseshoe and a lot of those people hold Bengals season tickets.

I grew up in Ohio and the Sooners were my #2 favorite after The OSU and wasn't the only one in the state. Always rooted for the Sooners in OU/TX and OU/Nebraska and in Bowl Games.

Don't see Cincy having that large of following as last year may have been the first year they filled most of their small stadium for football. There is only ONE major football team in Ohio and that is The OSU! Cincinnati would never survive in one of the other conferences IMHO!

oudavid1
2/22/2010, 12:45 AM
Ohio State is home to Eastern Michigan that day which is no big deal for The OSU but they fill up the horseshoe and a lot of those people hold Bengals season tickets.

I grew up in Ohio and the Sooners were my #2 favorite after The OSU and wasn't the only one in the state. Always rooted for the Sooners in OU/TX and OU/Nebraska and in Bowl Games.

Don't see Cincy having that large of following as last year may have been the first year they filled most of their small stadium for football. There is only ONE major football team in Ohio and that is The OSU! Cincinnati would never survive in one of the other conferences IMHO!

And considering there gonna have a huge let down of a season after last year.

2/22/2010, 12:50 AM
Ohio State is home to Eastern Michigan that day...What a screwed-up deal for one stadium to be the home of 2 different college teams-on on the same day, even.

;)