PDA

View Full Version : Please accept us BYU folks to your conference.

SoonerCoug
2/11/2010, 04:48 PM
I realize this isn't a democratic process, but we BYU folks would love to be in the BIG 12. Let's face it, the PAC-1 sucks. Besides, I think a BYU-Colorado trade would be a pretty good deal for you folks.

The fact is that the PAC-1 would never accept us to their lousy conference because the snobs at Stanford and Cal don't like our homophobia. I don't like our homophobia either, but what can a person do? I can't change our people.

In any case, the BIG 12 ought to take us on the merits: big fan base will help TV ratings and will fill stadiums (although we'd fill many more stadiums in the west), and a solid athletic department across the board.

If the Utes go to the PAC-1 and we are stuck in the Mountain West, it would be a disaster for us BYU folks. Please help!

cccasooner2
2/11/2010, 04:52 PM
My check is in the mail.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2010, 04:59 PM
Oh, all right. But during your 10 year internship period, we get $10 lift tickets to all your ski areas and $1 pints at the pubs in Moab after a hard day on the mountain bike (and none of that 3.2 stuff). Similar discounts on other recreational activities. And you have to wash our cars when we visit.

And BTW - we're going to wallop your football team at least 10 times in a row to make up for last year :D

SteelClip49
2/11/2010, 04:59 PM
from a football standpoint....

Both BYU and CU have a national title and Heisman each. It seemed for most of the 90s both were top notch programs but I think moreso now that BYU will continue to stay successful. Colorado is going nowhere.

SoonerCoug
2/11/2010, 05:00 PM
Oh, all right. But during your 10 year internship period, we get $10 lift tickets to all your ski areas and $1 pints at the pubs in Moab after a hard day on the mountain bike (and none of that 3.2 stuff). Similar discounts on other recreational activities. And you have to wash our cars when we visit.

And BTW - we're going to wallop your football team at least 10 times in a row to make up for last year :D

You need to make up for 1994 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPYtaT7frsE

Widescreen
2/11/2010, 05:11 PM
The Big 12 is all homophobes too so BYU will fit right in. You may not, though.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2010, 05:12 PM

OU didn't field a team in the 90's as I recall. They may have had a JV squad as a place holder until Stoops became available :P

MeMyself&Me
2/11/2010, 05:17 PM
The Big 12 is all homophobes too so BYU will fit right in.

Except for the school in Austin.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2010, 05:21 PM
Not too homophobic in Boulder where I used to live; heck Ted Haggard himself is from Colorado Springs (but i guess he's cured now :)). Then again, the Buffs are the team getting traded out. Hard to believe Norman is homophobic as it seemed like a pretty cool place when I went to school there, but it wasn't such a public issue back then.

SoonerCoug
2/11/2010, 05:46 PM
And y'all are welcome to mock us or our religion all you want. We just want to play football with you.

Soonermagik
2/11/2010, 05:52 PM
I would love to do a BYU swap. Colorado has been down for years and doesn't really seem to care.

BYU is really interested in football and has a good fan base. I hope the Big 12boots Iowa state too. We could bring in an Arkansas/LSU or even a TCU type team and boot OSU up to the North.

Let's face it, the Big 12 is OU & Texas for football purposes. If we brought in 2 other legit teams it would give more credibility to our conference. If the bowl division would do away with tie-ins we could rake in a ton of cash for bcs appearances.

Dio
2/11/2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I think BYU should be at the top of the list to replace either CU or Mizzou, if they go to the Big Televen. Not sure who else to grab if they both split- Arky? New Mexico? Colo St.?

humblesooner
2/11/2010, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Soonermagik;2834602]

I hope the Big 12boots Iowa state too. We could bring in an Arkansas/LSU or even a TCU type team and boot OSU.

QUOTE]

FIFY

ric311
2/11/2010, 05:56 PM
Colorado is going nowhere.

Except the Pac 10.

goingoneight
2/11/2010, 05:58 PM
What's with all this conference realignment talk all of a sudden? I'm betting these are just exagerrated stories like we have every off-season where nothing will happen. Like the supposed changing of the BCS and USC getting NCAA sanctions.

SoonerCoug
2/11/2010, 06:00 PM
What's with all this conference realignment talk all of a sudden? I'm betting these are just exagerrated stories like we have every off-season where nothing will happen. Like the supposed changing of the BCS and USC getting NCAA sanctions.

PAC-10 commissioner had a news conference. Their TV deal is up in 2011-2012, and the time to expand is now. They are going to want a conference championship game to increase revenue. I think other conferences are reacting so as not to lose out during the realignment.

Dio
2/11/2010, 06:01 PM

The Pac-10 has a new commish who's more open to expansion, they're about to have to negotiate a new TV deal, and they just hired ex-Big 12 boss Kevin Weiberg as some sort of consultant/ Asst. Commish

MeMyself&Me
2/11/2010, 06:16 PM
...and they just hired ex-Big 12 boss Kevin Weiberg as some sort of consultant/ Asst. Commish

That was a mistake.

cjames317
2/11/2010, 06:24 PM
BYU, here's OUr counteroffer:

Every OU fan gets to take a running leap at Colby Clawson.

Consecutively or all at the same time, your option.

silverwheels
2/11/2010, 06:44 PM
Culturally, Colorado fits in more with the Pac-10. Geographically, it won't make much a difference. If anything, they'll be further away from most of those schools.

BYU should be our first choice in replacing someone, especially from the North division. They are pretty far away from everyone, but better the Cougs than TCU or Colorado State, neither of whom would add much to the conference in all areas, and we're not going to get Arkansas away from the SEC. I'm not sure we would want them, anyway. Their fans probably have the biggest inferiority complex in the nation outside of Ole Miss and Oklahoma State.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2010, 06:47 PM
Dear BYU,

We already have the Big XII market for private-religous institutions cornered. Thanks for applying though!

Partial Qualifier
2/11/2010, 07:00 PM
Except the Pac 10.

Dude where the hell have YOU been?

badger
2/11/2010, 07:01 PM
Let's just have ORU in the conference too along with BYU and Baylor. Who wins the bible thumping contest? ;)

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2010, 07:08 PM
Let's just have ORU in the conference too along with BYU and Baylor. Who wins the bible thumping contest? ;)

ORU followed by BYU and then us. We're far far more liberal than ORU or BYU.

lovesOU
2/11/2010, 08:35 PM

How so?

AlbqSooner
2/11/2010, 08:41 PM
Somebody in an earlier post mentioned bringing in New Mexico.
Don't ever say that again!! We are talking MAJOR suckage.

MamaMia
2/11/2010, 09:01 PM
I realize this isn't a democratic process, but we BYU folks would love to be in the BIG 12. Let's face it, the PAC-1 sucks. Besides, I think a BYU-Colorado trade would be a pretty good deal for you folks.

The fact is that the PAC-1 would never accept us to their lousy conference because the snobs at Stanford and Cal don't like our homophobia. I don't like our homophobia either, but what can a person do? I can't change our people.

In any case, the BIG 12 ought to take us on the merits: big fan base will help TV ratings and will fill stadiums (although we'd fill many more stadiums in the west), and a solid athletic department across the board.

If the Utes go to the PAC-1 and we are stuck in the Mountain West, it would be a disaster for us BYU folks. Please help!
No.

htownsooner7
2/11/2010, 10:45 PM

No drinking, no dancing for all three. Hard to say any of you are more "liberal."

Crimson Kid
2/12/2010, 12:01 AM
Dear BYU,

We already have the Big XII market for private-religous institutions cornered. Thanks for applying though!

LOL!!

Dio
2/12/2010, 12:05 AM
Somebody in an earlier post mentioned bringing in New Mexico.
Don't ever say that again!! We are talking MAJOR suckage.

Yeah they suck out loud, but if we lose CU and MU, Albuquerque might be the biggest market we can replace them with, besides SLC and the Mormon Nation. It's not about wins and losses, it's about TV sets. Although, if Colo State could deliver a big enough slice of Denver, NM would be out.

Soonerfan88
2/12/2010, 10:14 PM
BYU has always been at the top of my list of invitees. The athletic department generally fits with the Big 12 (Men's volleyball) and getting the Salt Lake tv market/national Mormon crowd isn't a bad deal either. Air Force is #2 - has some ties to Denver tv market and national appeal as a service academy.

Edit: I would like a complimentary account to Ancestry.com, plzkthx

Ruf/Nek7
2/12/2010, 10:21 PM
Its going to be TCU if anyone. The football & Baseball programs are strong, and they were apart of the SWC. Besides, geographically, TCU just makes more sense. I wish mizzou would go to the big 10, we move osucks to the north and bring in TCU. Just sayin!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/13/2010, 12:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPYtaT7frsE1994 is part of OU's Lost Decade.

2/13/2010, 12:51 AM
Dear BYU,

We already have the Big XII market for private-religous institutions cornered. Thanks for applying though!Aha, I secretly suspected your Mormophobia!

SicEmBaylor
2/13/2010, 12:53 AM
No drinking, no dancing for all three. Hard to say any of you are more "liberal."

You can dance at Baylor. Drinking isn't allowed on campus, but that's as far as it goes unless you're stupid enough to show up to class drunk.

I actually did a paper one year comparing the rules of student conduct at various private religious schools, and Baylor is virtually nothing like BYU or OBU for example.

BYU's student conduct requirements are far far more strict than ours.

In fact, these days you honestly can't tell that Baylor is a religious school except for the chapel requirement your freshman year.

StoopTroup
2/13/2010, 12:57 AM
SicEm is so horny he'd let any cougar in the back door.

silverwheels
2/13/2010, 01:00 AM
Its going to be TCU if anyone. The football & Baseball programs are strong, and they were apart of the SWC. Besides, geographically, TCU just makes more sense. I wish mizzou would go to the big 10, we move osucks to the north and bring in TCU. Just sayin!

Except that TCU wouldn't add a significant number of TV sets.

Dio
2/13/2010, 01:01 AM

What TV market does TCU give us that we don't already have?

2/13/2010, 02:12 AM
What TV market does TCU give us that we don't already have? El Zippo, besides, their inclusion would help THEIR recruiting, and hurt OU's. I wouldn't mind losing 2 teams, and change the name to Great Plains Conference, or something other than BIG whatever.

SunnySooner
2/13/2010, 09:23 AM
Well, we'd definitely have some built-in hate for BYU, and the multiple wife jokes last year were tons o'fun.

Yeah, if we lose the Buffs, this is prolly the best choice. Agree with the reasons against TCU, we do NOT need another tejas team. And Arky might be more open than you think--they spend a buttload in travel costs, and all that time on the road is not a plus when it comes to gametime. They are a lot closer to OK and tx than AL and GA. But also agree, horrible fanbase.

Decisions, decisions.

PLaw
2/13/2010, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=humblesooner;2834607][QUOTE=Soonermagik;2834602]

I hope the Big 12boots Iowa state too. We could bring in an Arkansas/LSU or even a TCU type team and boot OSU.

QUOTE]

BYU >> TCU

Ain't no way Arkie or those cajuns leave the SEC.

Money sez Pitt to Big XI and everything else stays much the same.

Regardless BYU would be a solid addition to the Big XII should a school decide to pull up stakes and bolt.

If Mizzou goes, then I would like to see ISU go, too. Do you think the Big XII could pull an ACC team like FSU??

Of course, as northerners continue to move South, TV markets are changing. Consider Detroit population has dropped from 1.3MM to around 0.8MM in the past ten years.

BOOMER

StoopTroup
2/13/2010, 10:50 AM
There is no way Arkie ever comes to the Big XII as long as +exas is here and/or their replacement in the SEC was +exas.

It's +exas that screwed up the SWC.

Yeah money is important but knowing that you have only one School (Oklahoma) to get by every year so you can get into a better Bowl than what the SEC brings you could be something Arkie might take a serious look at. Just because +exas has trouble with the Big XII doesn't mean that Arkie might not see taking +exas spot might be better for their School. The reason I think Arkie went to the SEC was based solely that they would be completely separated from +exas and would never have to deal with them ever again.

The hatred Arkie has for +exas is much different than the Rivalry of the Red River. The RRSO is one of the best Rivalries...but...that Arkie hatred for the whorns is a near Civil War type of event.

soonerloyal
2/13/2010, 01:37 PM
I have absolutely nothing against the Arkansas fan base...my experience with them (although limited in comparison with Tx., osu, etc.) has always been friendly, positive and respectful. The are awesome travelers and tailgaters.

StoopTroup
2/13/2010, 02:55 PM
I have absolutely nothing against the Arkansas fan base...my experience with them (although limited in comparison with Tx., osu, etc.) has always been friendly, positive and respectful. The are awesome travelers and tailgaters.

Your absolutely right about that except for when they don't keep their bitches in line. Then it can get a little dicey. :D

MrJimBeam
2/15/2010, 06:08 AM
I like I-State and would hate to see them leave.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/15/2010, 04:46 PM
OK I'm like a page late, but does anyone remember the ORU scandal when they weren't admitting students because of obesity. Like gluttony was the ultimate sin.

KantoSooner
2/15/2010, 04:56 PM
Instead of waiting, I say let's get preemptive: get Arizona and Arizona State. Right now. Stock pile conference teams like we used to players in the days of yore.
Maybe UNLV, too, just to 'control' the Las Vegas T.V. market. Then we could vend off ISU, mebbe Mizzou and tell Tejas to take a leap, pick up BYU, trade OSU to the Canadians and pickup Cincy.....then we make a play to merge with the ACC, but we'll need to vend off a number of teams to keep at 12.

And then everybody can run in circles and wave their hands in the air. It'll be more damn fun than the regular season.

badger
2/15/2010, 04:56 PM
I have no problem booting OSU from the conference. Them or KSU. Bother are like Tier 3 institutions academically and offer very little on the athletic side.

Yes, I know OSU has 49 national championships and OU only has 19. However, 34 of those are in wrestling, a non-revenue sport.

2/15/2010, 05:48 PM
I have no problem booting OSU from the conference. Them or KSU. Bother are like Tier 3 institutions academically and offer very little on the athletic side.

Yes, I know OSU has 49 national championships and OU only has 19. However, 34 of those are in wrestling, a non-revenue sport.You GO, girl. effin' orangeaggy, lOSUr that they are. Send 'em sorry as*es to CANADA, fergodssakes.