PDA

View Full Version : So the Patriot Act was evil?

ndpruitt03
2/11/2010, 01:10 PM
What is this then?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10451518-38.html

If this were a republican white house the democrats would be livid. Instead it's their own guy doing the same things our last president did and you hear nothing.

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2010, 01:13 PM
Don't you criticize Dear Leader, that only helps the terrorists win.

Chuck Bao
2/11/2010, 02:49 PM
Well, just don't go making calls on your cell phone while you are robbing a bank or committing any other criminal act.

I have a big problem with any government agency listening in on telephone conversations without a warrant. I don't have a problem with the government getting phone companies to divulge where I placed and received phone calls. If I don't want to be tracked, I can just turn my cell phone off.

Yeah, I know slippery slope and it is a bit scary that phone companies / Big Brother are starting to keep these phone call logs for more than one year. Privacy has already been compromised by technology.

I would be much more up in arms if the phone companies are keeping records of the websites visited while surfing the net through a mobile device, or the text/data transmissions. The article briefly mentions online but doesn't go into details. I consider that "listening in" which is a completely different thing.

King Crimson
2/11/2010, 03:54 PM
doesn't matter who the president is, i don't think the government ever needs to know what books i check out of the library.

it's either civil liberties or not (actual freedom). it's not pick and choose among the Bill of Rights, like many would have you believe.

Chuck Bao
2/11/2010, 04:13 PM
doesn't matter who the president is, i don't think the government ever needs to know what books i check out of the library.

it's either civil liberties or not (actual freedom). it's not pick and choose among the Bill of Rights, like many would have you believe.

Like it or not, government agencies can pick and choose legally or not. Whether then can use it in a court of law seems to be the key point of discussion.

JohnnyMack
2/11/2010, 04:49 PM
What is this then?

If this were a republican white house the democrats would be livid. Instead it's their own guy doing the same things our last president did and you hear nothing.

Is it possible that they're both wrong and that you're a ******rocket?

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2010, 04:52 PM

I'm a fan of this.

yermom
2/11/2010, 04:58 PM

this

of course, the closest thing i have to a party might be the eff ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/11/2010, 05:26 PM
STOP CRITICIZING THE POTUS! He's the President, fergodssakes. Have you no respect for the office?

GrapevineSooner
2/11/2010, 06:08 PM
I love gotcha politics.

No, wait, no I don't.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2010, 06:10 PM
I love gotcha politics.

No, wait, no I don't.

Flip-flopper. ;)

ndpruitt03
2/11/2010, 06:31 PM
I think the patriot act was wrong, but so is the spending that went on during Bush. Right now we are expanding the patriot act and spending tons more yet all we hear is that it's somehow George Bush's fault.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2010, 06:46 PM
I think the patriot act was wrong, but so is the spending that went on during Bush. Right now we are expanding the patriot act and spending tons more yet all we hear is that it's somehow George Bush's fault.

Well, it is since The Patriot Act was a Bush Administration piece of legislation. Regardless of its expansion, there'd be nothing to expand were it not for Bush.

Curly Bill
2/11/2010, 06:54 PM
Bush sucked mightily....

Brack sucks ever bit as mightily...

There, everyone happy?

sooner59
2/11/2010, 07:12 PM
POTUS in 2012 will SUCK!!!

In 2012, the POTUS and Venables will both need to be fired!

The Mayans told me about the Venebles part, though. :D

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2010, 07:30 PM
What is this then?

He's actually taken quite a bit of criticism over his position on warrantless wiretaps from liberal websites, from DailyKos to HuffPo to DemocraticUnderground (which is about as fringy as they get.) Keep selling the "poor Bush never got a fair shake" message while claiming to not be a Republican though.

Curly Bill
2/11/2010, 07:32 PM
Darn, peeps claiming not to be a Republican, LAS claiming that he is, I can't keep up.

ndpruitt03
2/11/2010, 08:05 PM
I don't think Bush got a bad shake. In fact I think the dems were accurate in going after him. All I say is they should be doing the same to this guy also.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2010, 08:12 PM
Darn, peeps claiming not to be a Republican, LAS claiming that he is, I can't keep up.

I'm not a Republican.

sooner59
2/12/2010, 12:13 AM
I'm not a Republican.

Neither am I. But I'm not a hardcore liberal either. Democrat 55/45.....maybe 60/40. Depends on the issue. I'm not completely biased to one party over the other.

SicEmBaylor
2/12/2010, 12:25 AM
Neither am I. But I'm not a hardcore liberal either. Democrat 55/45.....maybe 60/40. Depends on the issue. I'm not completely biased to one party over the other.

I'm not a moderate. My problem is that I'm too conservative for the GOP.

Crucifax Autumn
2/12/2010, 12:55 AM
**** Obama, **** Bush, and F*CK the PAtriot Act and every other single instance of the government, whether run by pubs or dems, infringing on privacy and civil liberties. They can all F*CK right off any time they attempt to limit freedom and privacy no matter how noble their supposed goals may be. If Achmed is hanging out with known terrorists, attending flight schools, buying truckloads of fertilizer, sneaking around with maps and schematics of airports and malls, etc. then I'm sure the government could get a legal in 1999 wiretap and any other search/arrest warrants they may need. all this bullshat of spying on everyone hopng to catch some guy they coulda caught the old-fashioned was is crap and needs to be stopped.

sooner59
2/12/2010, 01:06 AM
Preach it, Cru.

sooner59
2/12/2010, 01:11 AM

God forbid I quote Colin Cowherd, for I despise him in ways I can't express. But he did say one thing that I could understand.

"I am a social liberal and fiscal conservative."

Although there are more issues than that where I pick sides. I do be an avid hunter/fisher.....just one reason to side with the GOP. They support that, which science actually says they should in most instances. Plus, my family has a nice collection of arms in which to bare......mostly just hunting accessories, though. No need for AK's and crap like that. I don't want people telling me I can't bare my damn arms. :D

JohnnyMack
2/12/2010, 08:31 AM

That's not really difficult nowadays.

SoonerJack
2/12/2010, 08:49 AM

How are things in Middle School?:rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
2/12/2010, 09:02 AM
How are things in Middle School?:rolleyes:

Good. Although I'm bummed that they took away my Laddie pencils and Big Chief Tablet.

Pricetag
2/12/2010, 10:53 AM
**** Obama, **** Bush, and F*CK the PAtriot Act and every other single instance of the government, whether run by pubs or dems, infringing on privacy and civil liberties.
And **** American citizens willing to give up civil liberties for safety (or a mere perception thereof, IMO). Legislators knew that there were more "I have nothing to hide" folks out there than not, otherwise, the Patriot Act would never have been proposed.

I think we can all acknowledge how great we have it here. We should all be willing to assume a modicum of risk for what we enjoy.

delhalew
2/12/2010, 11:25 AM
This is why I would be happy if freedom loving folks would realize that we are fighting the establishment republicans as much as democrats. Beware deceptiCONs.
There are two true consercvative candidates for governor in the US. Deborah Medina in Texas is taking on Perry and Rand Paul in North Carolina. Both are the uber rare type that will send shockwaves thru the goverment.

yermom
2/12/2010, 12:05 PM
decepticons. lol.

jkjsooner
2/12/2010, 12:13 PM
STOP CRITICIZING THE POTUS! He's the President, fergodssakes. Have you no respect for the office?

Why is everyone else having a discussion about the topic and Tuba and Rush come on hear talking about Dear Leader and the like. Do you guys actually have anything meaningful to add to any discussion?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/12/2010, 02:05 PM
That's not really difficult nowadays.If McCain can be stopped in the primary, you will definitely see a new GOP. We might have one, anyway.

yermom
2/12/2010, 02:25 PM
And **** American citizens willing to give up civil liberties for safety (or a mere perception thereof, IMO). Legislators knew that there were more "I have nothing to hide" folks out there than not, otherwise, the Patriot Act would never have been proposed.

I think we can all acknowledge how great we have it here. We should all be willing to assume a modicum of risk for what we enjoy.

right. now it's only trampling on their rights because a donk is doing it

meet the new boss, same as the old one ;)

Obama just likes spending more of our money...

delhalew
2/12/2010, 03:04 PM
I'm finally to point that I will only support a person who is willing to take a sledgehammer to our governmental agencies until all that is left is a document that in its genius was written to be understood by visionaries and farmers alike. That and a constitutional convention are the only ways to fight the "ratchet effect".

I just wish it hadn't taken so long. After all, if McCain had been elected, I'd be calling for his head too.