PDA

View Full Version : A-hole whorns to Big 10?

Flagstaffsooner
2/11/2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0203/2110451/1361/Report--Texas--Big-Ten-have--preliminary-exchanges--about-expansion

Report: Texas, Big Ten have 'preliminary exchanges' about expansion

The Detroit News

The University of Texas has had "preliminary exchanges" with Big Tenhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0203/2110451/1361/Report--Texas--Big-Ten-have--preliminary-exchanges--about-expansion#) officials about the conference's desire to add a 12th school, according to a report.
"There have been preliminary exchanges between the Big Ten and Texas," a source with ties to the Big Ten told the Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World. "People will deny that, but it's accurate."
It has been 19 years since the Big Ten expanded to 11 teams. But if the conference added a 12th team, two footballhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0203/2110451/1361/Report--Texas--Big-Ten-have--preliminary-exchanges--about-expansion#) divisions could be formed, with a championship game added at the end of the regular season.
Advertisement

Texas' conference, the Big 12http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0203/2110451/1361/Report--Texas--Big-Ten-have--preliminary-exchanges--about-expansion#), has a conference championship game. Fellow Big 12 member Missouri and the Big East's Pittsburgh have been the schools most frequently mentioned regarding Big Ten expansion.

TexasLidig8r
2/11/2010, 12:50 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/feb/11/big-ten-making-overtures-texas/?sports

Interesting.

King Crimson
2/11/2010, 12:52 PM
Texas can go imo. let someone else deal with these control-babies.

who else do you know who brags endlessly about being ranked # 50 in something?

please. adios.

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 12:53 PM
have fun traveling every other week.. far

badger
2/11/2010, 12:54 PM
However, I bet resident whorns can attest to this - Texas schools other than UT-Austin have an uber inferiority complex that will cause insane jealousy and "me too" cries that led the likes of Tech, Baylor and A&M to the Big 12 when the SWC dissolved.

Texas will not be allowed to leave the Big 12 for the Big Ten unless A&M does... and then Tech... and probably not Baylor anymore, because Governor Richards will not be around to raise a big stink.

Or at least, that's about what I've heard on here before. How accurate is what I just ranted? :D

oudivesherpa
2/11/2010, 12:55 PM
TEXAS, CAN'T LEAVE THE BIG XII! WE'VE WORKED SO HARD TO GET A BOWL GAME OF THAT SUITS THEIR ABILITY AND TALENTS--THE ALAMO BOWL. WE HAVE THAT LOCKED UP FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS IN SAN ANTONIO AND IT'S ONLY 6O MILES FROM AUSTIN--THEY CAN BRING THEIR LUNCH!

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 12:56 PM
i hear UTSA will replace them

King Crimson
have fun traveling every other week.. far

they'll never do it because they are regional deal. they can't take the "big boy" stance in LA or SF without looking silly.

NormanPride
Yeah, this just sounds like Texas whining because they don't control ALL of the Big 12. The equivalent of Stoops letting rumors of him going to Atlanta go for a bit so Joe C sweats and gives him a raise.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/11/2010, 12:57 PM
man, talk about a move that would net you one loss a season from jet lag

Flagstaffsooner
[/QUOTE]
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/feb/11/big-ten-making-overtures-texas/?sports

Interesting.If you'll go away I'm all for it.:D

Texas already receives the most TV money in the Big 12 because of its frequent national network appearances, but the source said Texas still thinks it can get a better deal for itself and is considering forming its own state-wide TV network.
I thougt they already had that, Springer.

soonerhubs
Is part of the negotiation process going to include hiring old SWC officiating crews. I'd imagine that's a default stipulation for *.

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 12:59 PM

yep, guaranteed

1890MilesToNorman
2/11/2010, 01:02 PM
They might win in a inferior conference, if they move they got that going for them. :D

Flagstaffsooner
2/11/2010, 01:07 PM
Is part of the negotiation process going to include hiring old SWC officiating crews. I'd imagine that's a default stipulation for *.It would be so nice to get rid of those bastards.
AMF Jon Bible.:D

TexasLidig8r
2/11/2010, 01:12 PM
If you'll go away I'm all for it.:D

I thougt they already had that, Springer.[/quote]

No.. we don't have the state wide television deal yet.

And.. in this case, it's all about the greenbacks, with athletics and academics next.

Each Big 10/11 school got $22 million from their regular season television contract this past year. Texas got $12 million.

Mandatory acceptance in the CIC will be a nice boost for the academicians as well and will increase research grants and access to other facilities.

The legislature is not likely be an impediment this time either. There is no Bullock as the Speaker of the House to push to include sand aggy and Baylor.

If this happens (and quite frankly, it's not likely to occur)... OU and texas aggy would be well served to start knocking on the SEC door.

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 01:14 PM
but texas still sucks

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/11/2010, 01:16 PM
If you'll go away I'm all for it.:D

I thougt they already had that, Springer.

No.. we don't have the state wide television deal yet.

And.. in this case, it's all about the greenbacks, with athletics and academics next.

Each Big 10/11 school got $22 million from their regular season television contract this past year. Texas got $12 million.

Mandatory acceptance in the CIC will be a nice boost for the academicians as well and will increase research grants and access to other facilities.

The legislature is not likely be an impediment this time either. There is no Bullock as the Speaker of the House to push to include sand aggy and Baylor.

If this happens (and quite frankly, it's not likely to occur)... OU and texas aggy would be well served to start knocking on the SEC door.[/QUOTE]

honestly, i'm kind of surprised that the SEC isn't trying to nab texas and OU - talk about a win for that conference.

badger
2/11/2010, 01:24 PM
I think the SEC just signed a new TV deal, so my guess is the schools aren't all that ready to share just yet.

Oh, and Lid? A&M's board is already lighting up on this. They think any move by Texas to another conference should be a package deal that includes them too, because they are a "crowned jewel" with an enormous fanbase that brings a lot of viewership to the conference.

Before you can say it, I will - "crowned jewels" don't have trouble selling out football games, don't struggle to make bowl games and don't worry about if their games will be televised or not :D

Seriously, your little brother needs you more than you need him, but he's still your little brother.

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 01:26 PM
dang those are some gay brothers

MrJimBeam
2/11/2010, 01:35 PM
Texas would give up 110 years of football tradition to play Northwestern and Indiana? This would be horrible for Texas football.

rawlingsHOH
2/11/2010, 01:43 PM
Is part of the negotiation process going to include hiring old SWC officiating crews. I'd imagine that's a default stipulation for *.

No doubt.

They'll own go if they can bring their own refs.

badger
2/11/2010, 01:43 PM
Texas would give up 110 years of football tradition to play Northwestern and Indiana? This would be horrible for Texas football.
Now, now, I'm sure that we'd still schedule a game against them annually, much like I'm sure they'd give Texas A&M a matchup too.

Face it- we'd do the same thing to our little sister Poke State, if a better offer came along. The Big 12 already screwed our annual Nebbish rivalry. What's another rivalry down the drain? Who care of T. Boner will have to pony up his ranch to keep OSU athletics viable after season ticket holders flee at the sign of no more Bedl@m? :D

Flagstaffsooner
2/11/2010, 01:46 PM
Texas would give up 110 years of football tradition to play Northwestern and Indiana? This would be horrible for Texas football.Its all about money. Deloss Dodds has a cash register up his behind. The Mack Brown paycheck and the Darrell Royal Memorial Gin Fund need the bucks.

MamaMia
2/11/2010, 01:46 PM
As usual the horns are blowing smoke. It'll never happen.

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 01:51 PM
Lid please tell the idiot on the horn board that the big 10 or big w/e it would be called, would still not be better than the SEC

come on now

OU44life
2/11/2010, 01:55 PM
I'd love to see Oklahoma/Texass National Championship game. Talk about a build up to that game!

TexasLidig8r
2/11/2010, 02:01 PM

Please explain.

Our annual game with you would remain.

Indiana - Ioway State
Northwestern - Kansas

Then we'd have Penn State, Ohio State, Meatchicken, Wisconsin.

Road trips to the Chicago area would sure beat... Manhattan, KS anyday.

Having said all that..

it's not gonna happen.

TexasLidig8r
2/11/2010, 02:02 PM
Lid please tell the idiot on the horn board that the big 10 or big w/e it would be called, would still not be better than the SEC

come on now

Everyone knows the NFL is going to expand by admitting all SEC teams anyway. So that is a moot point.

soonervegas
2/11/2010, 02:13 PM
I think it would be a bad move for texas (in the long run) outside of the $$$. Just my 2 cents.

KantoSooner
2/11/2010, 02:19 PM
I can't see the Big 10/11 wanting this. Texas would win that conference 9 years out of 10.

UTgolfer
2/11/2010, 02:36 PM
Having said all that..

it's not gonna happen.

Lid -

Curious why you think its not going to happen. Posturing for a better Big 12 TV contract? Package deal w/ aggies being a deal breaker for Big 10/11? Legislature stopping it? UT going independent? Or to Pac 10 (which we know was previously vetoed by Stanford??

NormanPride
2/11/2010, 02:37 PM
Bull. OSU would easily handle their own and I bet teams like Wisconsin and Penn State would be able to steal their share as well. As jkm said, losses due to jet-lag are the real deal.

We, however, would be SOL. Biggest market team leaves the conference and the Big 12 suddenly becomes the TV size of the Mountain West. I'd bail for the SEC then.

Flagstaffsooner
2/11/2010, 03:05 PM
Silly, silly whorns take on it.
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6152874&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

soonervegas
2/11/2010, 03:19 PM
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6152874&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

They are over there doing this as we speak....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdmYInXplY&feature=related

badger
2/11/2010, 03:22 PM

I think they're having an atypical, thoughtful discussion at whornfans, actually. They realize the problems that they'd face in trying to become a part of a conference that isn't geographically feasibly, while at the same time looking at the positives from some key matchups in major sports.

In any event, I think Aggie and Whorn both realize that Aggie dies without Texas in the same conference, based on both of their fan boards. I wonder what OP.com is up to now...

TexasLidig8r
2/11/2010, 03:23 PM
Lid -

Curious why you think its not going to happen. Posturing for a better Big 12 TV contract? Package deal w/ aggies being a deal breaker for Big 10/11? Legislature stopping it? UT going independent? Or to Pac 10 (which we know was previously vetoed by Stanford??

The first.

Big XII television contract goes through 2016 with ABC/ESPN.

BUT.. it ends in 2012 with FSN. Then, there's the hodgepodge of other networks.. Versus.. etc. with as many as five different networks showing Big XII games. There is no identity at all between the conference and a network.

2012.. coincidentally the time frame set forth by the Big 10/11 as their timetable for expansion?

The Big XII needs to either:

A). Partner with a major network/cable outlet, or;
B). Perhaps partner with the ACC for football alone and approach a network about exclusive rights.

I believe the legislature is a non-issue since they will be more concerned with the financial aspect of the deal (i.e., more money coming into UT and Texas, the better it is for us)... independence is a non-starter. Our little in-bred brother in Collie Station can be placated with the occasional non-conference game (and promises that along with OU, can perhaps join the SEC).

I would much prefer the Pac 10 for the schools and road trips, but, believe if moving elsewhere occurs, the Big 10/11 is more open about it and does not require unanimous consent.

IF a new television contract comparable to the SEC - Big 10/11 can be negotiated.. then no reason to move on. Otherwise, it will be fun to watch the implosion occur if we do leave.

badger
2/11/2010, 03:26 PM
I wonder what OP.com is up to now...

Let me answer my own question. You remember that kid that subbed for Zach Robinson that nearly lost the game to Colorado (AT HOME ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!!!!) before some ex-baseball stud named Weeeee-dennnn came in and saved their season?

Well, that kid is gone, apparently. (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=88729) The pokes aren't even discussing this Big 10/12 topic yet. Silly pokes.

UTgolfer
2/11/2010, 03:42 PM
BUT.. it ends in 2012 with FSN

My biggest concern here is that the current economic situation will not help the Big 12's leverage in negotiations.

I would much prefer the Pac 10 for the schools and road trips

Agreed

MrJimBeam
2/11/2010, 03:58 PM
Please explain.

Indiana - Ioway State
Northwestern - Kansas

Having said all that..

it's not gonna happen.

I would doubt our annual game would remain annual. That would give you two annuals as non-conference games. UT will always play Aggies. Kind of limits your scheduling.

But like you said, it ain't gonna happen. You're stuck with us hillbillies.

MamaMia
2/11/2010, 04:21 PM
Please explain.

Indiana - Ioway State
Northwestern - Kansas

Having said all that..

it's not gonna happen.What makes you think that?

prrriiide
2/11/2010, 04:30 PM
Big Ten, let us introduce you to our friend, Mephistophiles. He will let you know how much the devil wants for your conference's soul.

Dio
2/11/2010, 04:32 PM
Let me answer my own question. You remember that kid that subbed for Zach Robinson that nearly lost the game to Colorado (AT HOME ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!!!!) before some ex-baseball stud named Weeeee-dennnn came in and saved their season?

Well, that kid is gone, apparently. (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=88729) The pokes aren't even discussing this Big 10/12 topic yet. Silly pokes.

I love that on the first post on that thread, the guy's sig is a picture of the OU-osu scoreboard...from 9 years ago. :D

Don't ever change, aggie!

SoonerBK
2/11/2010, 04:34 PM
Does geographic proximity just have nothing to do with anything?

Chuck Bao
2/11/2010, 04:45 PM
I doubt this is a serious possibility. Texas may talk with Big 10 officials but I do not think that they will be swayed by a mere $10-15mn dollars per year. Isn't Texas already the richest and most valuable college sports franchise worth hundreds of millions. Do they really want to trade in their pipeline of best Texas athletes by playing their games only in Austin and somewhere way, way up north? Do they really want to give all of those Big 10 schools access to the TV market in Texas? It seems like a no-brainer to me that they will say no thanks.

John Kochtoston
2/11/2010, 05:18 PM
One thing I've yet to figure out:

All of these Big 10/Pac 10 expansion rumors involve Big 12 teams in the discussion. Why? Because the Big 12 is weak, largely because of its ridiculous TV contract. Why are there never any rumors/rumblings about the Big 12 trying to improve itself? Why is there never any serious discussion about the Big 12 expanding, or creating its own TV network?

I don't think Texas will leave, mostly because I think the disadvantages to leaving outweigh the advantages. I think Missouri is still pretty low on the Big 10 wish list, but they would leave if offered.

Now, I don't worry about OU if the Big 12 folds. The SEC would snap OU up in a minute. But, if I'm Kansas or Nebraska, I'm setting fires at Big 12 HQ to get something done.

NormanPride
2/11/2010, 05:40 PM
One thing I've yet to figure out:

All of these Big 10/Pac 10 expansion rumors involve Big 12 teams in the discussion. Why? Because the Big 12 is weak, largely because of its ridiculous TV contract. Why are there never any rumors/rumblings about the Big 12 trying to improve itself? Why is there never any serious discussion about the Big 12 expanding, or creating its own TV network?

I don't think Texas will leave, mostly because I think the disadvantages to leaving outweigh the advantages. I think Missouri is still pretty low on the Big 10 wish list, but they would leave if offered.

Now, I don't worry about OU if the Big 12 folds. The SEC would snap OU up in a minute. But, if I'm Kansas or Nebraska, I'm setting fires at Big 12 HQ to get something done.

There are no rumors about the Big 12 improving itself because Texas doesn't want it to. The Big 12 is weak because it lets Texas have the spotlight and be the flagship team of an entire conference. Any bids to add other markets implies less reliance on the Texas market, and thus less power for the Texans. That's what this whole thing is about: "See, everyone wants us but we stay with the Big 12, so you better shape up and do as we say."

Leroyt
2/11/2010, 05:54 PM
I'm not convinced that the sec snaps up OU or eaTme. With OU, they get to split their lunch money with another bully that will whip most of their @sses, and with eaTme, they get a whipping boy who they can continue to outrecruit in her home state, but pay her for the privilege. That said, I don't think Texas leaves, though I do agree as some have said that the potential domination of the rust belt 11 along with mad dead president potential has to be tempting to admin and coaches alike.

prrriiide
2/11/2010, 05:59 PM
OR, you could look at it this way:

If texass bolts, the Big10 would shape up like this:

B-10 West:
texass
Iowa
Illinois
N'Western
Indiana
Minnesota

B-10 East:
Wisky
Mich St.
Meatchicken
tOSU
PSU
Purdue

texass would have an unimpeded path to the CCG every season without having to beat OU to do it. They would still keep the RRS game and it would do wonders for what would certainly be an otherwise candy-a$$ OOC sched. Even if they lose to OU, it's early enough in the season to be overcome by plastering every conference school they play and winning the CCG. But in this scenario, if they lose to OU in the RRS, they don't have to hope OU stubs their toe for them to get into the CCG and a BCS game.

Follow the money. texass wants the path of least resistance to get it.

badger
2/11/2010, 06:01 PM
I love that on the first post on that thread, the guy's sig is a picture of the OU-osu scoreboard...from 9 years ago. :D

Don't ever change, aggie!

They won't win the Bedl@m game for another nine years so long as Mike Gundy is their head coach.

OSU fans can tell me that I will eat crow all they want... it ain't happening, because it hasn't happened yet and there's not signs that it will happen, not even when most of our team is injured in some way, shape or forum.

John Kochtoston
2/11/2010, 06:02 PM
I'm not convinced that the sec snaps up OU or eaTme. With OU, they get to split their lunch money with another bully that will whip most of their @sses, and with eaTme, they get a whipping boy who they can continue to outrecruit in her home state, but pay her for the privilege. That said, I don't think Texas leaves, though I do agree as some have said that the potential domination of the rust belt 11 along with mad dead president potential is has to be tempting to admin and coaches alike.

They'd also get the Houston and Dallas TV markets (and OKC and Tulsa, which might not seem like much, but OKC'd be about sixth in size in the current SEC, depending on whether you count Cincinnati in the SEC) and they'd also be getting another national football power, which would make the pie the SEC is dividing much bigger.

Leroyt
2/11/2010, 06:09 PM
I'd rather not see more power in the sec, I think that while competitively it would make for great tv, it would be bad for Tx or OU in that they would be in a similar position as they are now: at times, if in opposing conferences, they have been two of the best teams in the country. SEC and B12 both have that potential every year already.

SoonerForever
2/11/2010, 06:22 PM
Please tell me if texa$$ leaves, they will take their sucka$$ refs with them also

yankee
2/11/2010, 07:51 PM
as much as it pains me to admit it, texas leaving would really hurt the big 12. this would gut the conference in terms of $$$, and we can't have that. i hope they stay.

Dan Thompson
2/11/2010, 08:07 PM
If the money is there, they will go.

SCOUT
2/11/2010, 08:53 PM
http://www.wordforge.net/images/smilies/CurlyBill.jpg

Partial Qualifier
2/11/2010, 09:00 PM
as much as it pains me to admit it, texas leaving would really hurt the big 12. this would gut the conference in terms of $$$, and we can't have that. i hope they stay.

It would definitely hurt the Big 12.

Here's what it comes down to for Texas: it would boost their TV revenue and would help them attract out-of-state students (not sure why that would be an issue) but it would seriously hurt their football recruiting, and I doubt they're willing to let that happen. Not sure about basketball and the other sports.

sooner ngintunr
2/11/2010, 09:26 PM
riiiight, texas is going to play 2 of their OOC games against aTm and OU.

What planet are you guys living on?

They much prefer the sunbelt conf for OOC.

It would give texas a perfect excuse NOT to play OU and aTm every year. ****ing pussies.:texan:

Sooner5030
2/11/2010, 10:33 PM
If UT leaves I would look for the Salt Lake or Las Vegas market or both and maintain DFW. Go to a 14 team conference and add TCU, BYU and UNLV.

OK2LA
2/11/2010, 11:03 PM
If they went to the Big 10 & we kept the game with Texas, would we play it in Chicago?

Maybe after lots of posturing Texas says no, that they will stay . . . Then OU bolts for the Big 10! Taa dow!!

If Texas bolts and then the SEC takes OU - how big are they going to make that conference? 14?!?

JLEW1818
2/11/2010, 11:04 PM
**** it go back to the big 8

or add teams like Tulsa, Tcu, Houston... ? lol idk

rawlingsHOH
2/11/2010, 11:14 PM
I'd love it.

OK2LA
2/11/2010, 11:17 PM

If Colorado goes packing, it may have to be back to 6.

We should still have a conference championship game though . . . . Auto bid to BCS National Championship.

ouwasp
2/12/2010, 12:43 AM
The **** with texas, them teasing us like this. And to think that I sorta liked those guys... ;)

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 01:20 AM
Heard this on Scott Van Pelt show today, interesting but makes no geographical sense

OU_Sooners75
2/12/2010, 04:07 AM
Apparently they want more than just 2 conference championships in 12 years.

OU_Sooners75
2/12/2010, 04:08 AM
Also, if they want to leave...then do not let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

Im am pretty sure TCU or some other team would love to join the Big 12!

OU_Sooners75
2/12/2010, 04:41 AM
And as far as the Big 12 folding if Texas bolts...

I think not. Didn't the SWC fold with Texas still in it?

Believe it or not, The Big 8 Schools are the ones keeping this conference a float.

Sure Texas has won a whopping 2 Conference Championships in the last 10 years...but outside of Baseball, they do not dominate any major sport.

Oh well, if they leave, then fine. Lets lock up TCU (the DFW area), which is what, the 4th or 5th largest market in the nation?

What about taking in Houston?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/12/2010, 04:44 AM
Ok, I don't get this for a couple of reasons. Obviously, the first is geographical issues. Secondly, why would Texas leave something where they are obviously running the conference? You think that tOSU or Penn State or Michigan would take that crap? Doubt it. Lastly, it would kill the OU and Texas A&M rivalries. You mean to tell me that they would play OU and A&M out of conference and then try to run the Big 10 conference schedule? Doubt it since they barely play anyone harder than Wyoming in out of conference play. Deloss Dodds is one of my least favorite people in sports because he has no regards for traditions and rivalries. That being said, let them leave and don't let the door hit them on the *** on the way out. I am tired of their whining about everything and if they aren't in our conference, we don't have to worry about it anymoe. Let the Big 10 deal with them. I am with most of you guys, lets go back to the Big 8!

OU_Sooners75
2/12/2010, 08:47 AM
A new Great American Conference consisting of:
And this goes for more than just the sport of football...

1 Oklahoma
2 Oklahoma State
3 Nebraska
4 Kansas
5 Baylor
6 Colorado
7 Kansas State
8 TCU
9 Houston
10 BYU
11 Utah
12 UNLV
13 Fresno State
14 Rice
15 Texas Tech
16 Texas A&M

For football, 2 divisions of 8 teams each. Play 1 non conference game and 4 opposite division games. Play each team in your division. Divisional champs play each other for conference championship.

South Division

Oklahoma
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Houston
TCU
UNLV
Rice

North Division

Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Kansas
Colorado
Kansas State
BYU
Utah
Fresno State

Granted this is all hypothetical and the division could be mixed differently...but at least you receive good size tv markets.

John Kochtoston
2/12/2010, 09:54 AM

Oh well, if they leave, then fine. Lets lock up TCU (the DFW area), which is what, the 4th or 5th largest market in the nation?

TCU is about the fourth- or fifth-most popular team in the DFW area.

badger
2/12/2010, 10:00 AM
If Colorado goes packing, it may have to be back to 6.

We should still have a conference championship game though . . . . Auto bid to BCS National Championship.

of course, ncaa rules disallow conferences with less than 12 teams from having a conference championship game

cherrylimeade
2/12/2010, 10:33 AM
Don't you just hate it that the ****ing pussies are in demand and not OU?

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2010, 10:46 AM
What makes you think that?

100 plus years of history and tradition.

We have been able to withstand the knuckleheads who whine and complain about how this should be home and home.

We have been able to withstand the knuckleheads who whine and complain about a move to Jerry's World.

The game is an important thread in the fabric of college football.

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2010, 10:55 AM

I think not. Didn't the SWC fold with Texas still in it?

Believe it or not, The Big 8 Schools are the ones keeping this conference a float.

Sure Texas has won a whopping 2 Conference Championships in the last 10 years...but outside of Baseball, they do not dominate any major sport.

What about taking in Houston?

Dont think like a fan... think like you are on the Board of Regents.

What keeps conferences not only afloat, but thriving, is the revenue the conference gets in from bowl games, television revenue, athletic competitions and academic ties.

For the most part, the old Big 8 schools don't bring enough television sets and possible consumers to the corporations who pay for advertising to make a strong television contract a likelihood... for example, think of all the bitching by a lot of people about the television contract now, i.e.... Versus sucks... FSN sucks.. why do we have to play at 11 a.m.????

TCU will NOT bring the DFW market... TCU is a very small, private school that can't even sell out their home games, and in fact, there are many more Texas alums in the DFW area. TCU does NOT equal the DFW market at all.

Same with Houston. Houston is a pro sports city.. not a college town. And Houston is looked upon as a third rate commuter school. There are more Texas and aggy alums in Houston that Houston alums.

It is NOT about dominating any sport. It's about dollars and cents. Texas is the second most populated state in the U.S. The University of Texas is the flagship university that places alums in influential positions in most all Texas cities. That translates to consumers. Television networks know this.

IF Texas leaves, your president better be more adept at negotiating with the SEC than he is at writing letters of complaint to the NCAA about Oregon... The remainder of the Big 12 would be left with a diminished television contract, less revenue coming into the school.. which could translate into non-revenue sports being eliminated.

Position Limit
2/12/2010, 10:59 AM
if the road to the national title game isnt easy enough for ou or texas already, this would make it a shoe in for both teams every year. big 10 is slow and boring. no competition up there. currently there are only 2 teams in the big 12 that can play football. ou and texas. if texas leaves, ou will play nobody. NOBODY..

Position Limit
2/12/2010, 11:00 AM
if the road to the national title game isnt easy enough for ou or texas already, this would make it a shoe in for both teams every year. big 10 is slow and boring. no competition up there. currently there are only 2 teams in the big 12 that can play football. ou and texas. if texas leaves, ou will play nobody. NOBODY..

King Crimson
2/12/2010, 11:16 AM
i'll agree with Lid insofar as i don't get the fascination with TCU. it's like knee-jerk, gotta have TCU. meh.

PDXsooner
2/12/2010, 11:19 AM
OU to the SEC = Mistake.

i'd say you could kiss an undefeated season goodbye unless you had a REALLY special team. OU 2000 goes undefeated in the SEC, OU 2004 does not.

going to the big 10 is the best of both worlds, you get the $$ plus a great chance to run the table.

yermom
2/12/2010, 11:48 AM
i think Texas is posturing with this like they did with the Cotton Bowl

and we played Texas every year for a long time before being in their conference. we've only been in the same conference since '96

S008NER
2/12/2010, 12:25 PM
They are really playing all their cards, no doubt they are likely talking with the pac-10 too. I hope Joe is looking around as well.

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 12:32 PM
sure....

:D

KantoSooner
2/12/2010, 12:33 PM
The Lid raises an interesting point: Texas is a population hub, the B12 essentially controls Texas from a media perspective, along with OK, KS, MO, Neb, CO and a chunk of Ioway. That would line up:

Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Denver, KC, St Louis, OKC, Tulsa, Omaha and other less concentrated markets like the Col front range, teritiary TX markets, etc. (I am not being exhaustive here, just making a general point).

I grant you that this is not the equal of some conference markets, but most others are split, to some degree and are not that night-and-day larger, are they? I don't really understand why the B12 media deal seems to pale compared to others.

I do know that when I lived overseas I contacted OU about what it would take to get a feed for my personal use and was told that I could buy 'Japan' for around $1 million per year, football only. (I didn't buy). So what? our negotiators get damp shorts when they talk to the teevee channels?

TMcGee86
2/12/2010, 01:27 PM
100 plus years of history and tradition.

We have been able to withstand the knuckleheads who whine and complain about how this should be home and home.

We have been able to withstand the knuckleheads who whine and complain about a move to Jerry's World.

The game is an important thread in the fabric of college football.

I get that, and I fully agree as a fan obviously, but I don't think it matters.

If Texas wants to bolt, you know that Aggie will freak and demand the legislature gets involved, and if Perry's still in the Gub's Mansion you know it will, and they will demand at a minimum that the thanksgiving game stay in place.

That would mean that to keep the RRS UT would have to give up two scrubs in OOC year in and year out. I cannot see that happening.

Not only that but because of the time sensitive nature of both those games, UT would be forced to start Conference games every year in week 3 at the latest.

Again, I just don't see that happening.

JLEW1818
2/12/2010, 01:29 PM
it won't happen

PDXsooner
2/12/2010, 01:38 PM
texas is over-the-top annoying as a culture and fanbase, but if they left i hope OU would seek membership to the SEC. financially, a texas-less big 12 wouldn't be in the same ballpark as the SEC and big ten...

i'm surprised at how far behind the big 12 currently is considering the SEC isn't exactly full of huge markets, and neither is the big ten...

GKeeper316
2/12/2010, 01:43 PM
it would be funny, but it isnt inside the realm of possibility.

OUDoc
2/12/2010, 01:46 PM
I'm honestly surprised texas doesn't try to go Independent. They're arrogant enough to try to make it work.

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2010, 01:55 PM
i'm surprised at how far behind the big 12 currently is considering the SEC isn't exactly full of huge markets, and neither is the big ten...

With the Big 10, look at the population base for three of the states:

STATE POPULATION RANK
Ohio 11,485,910 Ranked 7

Michigan 10,003,422 Ranked 8

Pennsylvania 12,488,279 Ranked 6

Illinois 12,901,563 Ranked 5

Who does Ohio State compete with for college football viewers in Ohio? One can argue Cincy right now, but they are just as likely to fade.

Michigan? It's a two major school state.

Illlinois? Same with Northwestern and the Illini.

SEC?

for the most part, the southern states' sports identities have been wrapped up in college football. Besides the Saints last week, what other pro teams in the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee or Kentucky have won a professional sports championship? I can't think of any.

Networks know they have a captive audience with the SEC and those inbred hillibillies have bought into the "Yee ha.. we're the mighty SEC!"

yermom
2/12/2010, 02:14 PM
texas is over-the-top annoying as a culture and fanbase, but if they left i hope OU would seek membership to the SEC. financially, a texas-less big 12 wouldn't be in the same ballpark as the SEC and big ten...

if OU went to the SEC it would seriously put a damper on my road game attendance :(

CBUS_SOONER
2/12/2010, 02:19 PM

Texazz will get of the jet lag and still be faster than any team in the big 10. I would go to the big ten... Would be ez to win ever yr.

KantoSooner
2/12/2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, i don't get the 'jetlag' argument. One time zone, at most. If being off one hour phases you at the age of 20, you've got serious problems.

If we're just talking travel lag and harassment, then, okay, but really is travelling to Ohio worse than travelling to Lincoln? Or, for that matter, to Lubbock? Unless it's something like Hawaii to Florida, it shouldn't matter. More expensive, yes, but not a physical factor. I'd worry more about late season games in some abusive cold.

Leroy Lizard
2/12/2010, 08:42 PM
So when do we get to hear the first installment of "Waaaah, those Wolverine offensive linemen always hold!"?

Collier11
2/12/2010, 09:50 PM
Basically what this amounts to is a shot to the Big 12 commish to get a tv deal done, IMO

Collier11
2/12/2010, 09:51 PM
If the Big 12 can be more proactive and increase revenues, tex would be dumb to leave the Big 12. Both of us basically have to win 1 game to play for a natl title

WA. Sooner
2/13/2010, 04:52 AM
Why would texass want to open the door to Joe Pa and Sweater vest to look at more recruits there.

Mjcpr
2/13/2010, 10:54 AM
An article in today's Tulsa World quoted Kirk(?) Bohls from the Austin American Statesman as saying there is no way in hell this would happen. He supposedly got this info from a couple of high ups in the TU athletic department and I would trust his sources as a writer for major newspaper than I would those of Lid's, although I'm sure Lid is in tight with DeLoss, et al. :rolleyes:

Pretty unlikely to happen. Typical Texas arrogance and posturing.

Scott D
2/13/2010, 11:36 AM
1. I'm laughing that Lid considers Central Michigan and Western Michigan to be major schools..... ;)

2. Despite the reports initially coming from here (via Kansas), this idea is very, very, very unpopular in this area (read..Ann Arbor).

3. Read into this what you will, but it was Texas that approached the Big 10, not the other way around. Same with the Pac 10 (which will be blocked by the same parties that blocked it before).

Seems to me that Texas would be better served working on striking a better TV deal for the conference they are in instead of letting conferences like the Mountain West have not only their own channel, but one that is broadcast nationwide 24/7.

Another smart move would be getting the Cotton Bowl (the bowl game) to be moved into the pantheon of BCS Bowls, allowing the Fiesta Bowl tie in to go to the Mountain West conference who is all but a BCS member conference in name.

PLaw
2/13/2010, 12:05 PM
Texas can go imo. let someone else deal with these control-babies.

who else do you know who brags endlessly about being ranked # 50 in something?

please. adios.

AND, we can still screw up any of their MNC hopes every October. We did mighty fair without their sorry a$$e$ before the BIG XII. We ARE OKLAHOMA and there's only one OKLAHOMA

BOOMER

PLaw
2/13/2010, 12:16 PM
If UT leaves I would look for the Salt Lake or Las Vegas market or both and maintain DFW. Go to a 14 team conference and add TCU, BYU and UNLV.

and that looks alot like conf usa or any one of the other non-BCS leagues.:mad: :(

TexasLidig8r
2/13/2010, 01:00 PM
An article in today's Tulsa World quoted Kirk(?) Bohls from the Austin American Statesman as saying there is no way in hell this would happen. He supposedly got this info from a couple of high ups in the TU athletic department and I would trust his sources as a writer for major newspaper than I would those of Lid's, although I'm sure Lid is in tight with DeLoss, et al. :rolleyes:

Pretty unlikely to happen. Typical Texas arrogance and posturing.

Kirk Bohls is regarded as a joke in Austin.. a hack who goes out of his way to shed the "I'm not a homer" writer.

As for DeLoss.. I have spoken with him on a few occasions. Certainly not tight by any stretch of the imagination.

From a dollars and cents perspective, the Big XII has a small window of opportunity to attempt to negotiate a better television deal.

The wild card though and the one being downplayed by most, is the ties to the CIC that would come if Texas joins the Big 10. That would satisfy the academicians and would smooth things with the legistlature as well.

Jdog
2/13/2010, 01:49 PM
Texas ----Run away, run away.

this is the dumbest alignment thing I've every heard of. ND is the logical choice. They are in the heart of the Big 10 region

OK2LA
2/13/2010, 02:58 PM
of course, ncaa rules disallow conferences with less than 12 teams from having a conference championship game

You mean to tell me that a conference with 6 teams in it wouldn't get an automatic bid to play in the BCS National Championship Game????

OK2LA
2/13/2010, 03:06 PM
I'm kind of excited about the possibility of chanting: "SEC! SEC! SEC!"

Leroy Lizard
2/13/2010, 04:24 PM
We would need OSU to go with us. Not playing in the same conference with the Pokes just wouldn't seem right.

Would they go?

rawlingsHOH
2/13/2010, 04:41 PM
We would need OSU to go with us. Not playing in the same conference with the Pokes just wouldn't seem right.

Would they go?
Now THAT is funny!

John Kochtoston
2/13/2010, 05:44 PM

Would they go?

OSU's never been in our league. Why start now?

Leroy Lizard
2/13/2010, 05:52 PM
I didn't say they were in the same league. But they are in the same conference and I cannot picture them not being in the same conference. We've been in the same conference for 50 years.

I like tradition. We already lost the Nebraska rivalry. I just can't picture OU football without the annual butt-whipping of OSU.

mehip
2/13/2010, 07:25 PM
I'm kind of excited about the possibility of chanting: "SEC! SEC! SEC!"

I'm sure we'd show the SEC the same amount of love we show the rest of the Big 12 south. :D

Though it would be strange to see us play the SEC teams week in and out and it would most likely make for a less exciting non-conference schedule.

John Kochtoston
2/13/2010, 07:28 PM
Geez. Them's just jokes.

silverwheels
2/13/2010, 07:37 PM
Texas ----Run away, run away.

this is the dumbest alignment thing I've every heard of. ND is the logical choice. They are in the heart of the Big 10 region

Well, yeah, it would be easier if Notre Dame would join the Big Ten (or even the Big East, where they compete in all other sports), but they're not going to until they're guaranteed to make more money in a conference than they would as an independent. Money is what is driving all of this conference realignment talk, not geography.

Jacie
2/13/2010, 10:05 PM
For the most part, conference alignments are based on proximity, schools in the same region join up to form a conference. Are we now seeing the erosion of regional type conferences for conferences based solely on each member's ability to contribute revenue into the common pool? Will we see the creation of the Big Revenue Conference consisting of Texas, USC, Miami, Ohio State and Michigan because they can generate the most money playing each other in a round robin format?

Another issue would be the fans, the constiuency of each school. Are they left completely out of the equation? Does television income trump what they want for their team (and don't forget the boosters)?

Okay, enough of questions, let's look at this like it already happened. I am guessing that there will be a two-division format similar to the Big XII and SEC models. Michigan and Ohio State will be in one division, unlike the situation that exists now where they play each other every year regardless (the other Big 10 team's get byes from one or both of them due to scheduling). This would eliminate the possibility of those two playing twice in one season. Texas would be in the other division. An East-West split would seem the most logical as it would keep all members of each division in the same time zone.

East: Penn State-Ohio State-Michigan-Michigan State-Indiana-Purdue

West: Illinois-Northwestern-Wisconsin-Minnesota-Iowa-Texas

Based on the current football landscape, the Big 10 West Division for Texas would be comparable to the Big XII South without Oklahoma. While they would, on paper, have it easier competing in division, the cross divisional play would be tougher than it is going against Big XII North teams now. Horns would play one or two of Michigan-Ohio State-Penn State in a given year. It would make for some great football watching and will be a television marketing success. It won't be conducive to undefeated seasons for any of the teams involved.

Leroy Lizard
2/13/2010, 11:13 PM
College football is unique, but it isn't immune from greed. And greed will eventually ruin this sport if unchecked.

StoopTroup
2/13/2010, 11:22 PM
College football is unique, but it isn't immune from greed. And greed will eventually ruin this sport if unchecked.

Thank goodness your here to save college football.

Leroy Lizard
2/14/2010, 04:36 AM
StoopTroup, I posted in the South Oval. Quick, get on over there and disagree!

IGotNoTiming
2/15/2010, 01:37 AM
never happen

OU_Sooners75
2/15/2010, 03:25 AM
StoopTroup, I posted in the South Oval. Quick, get on over there and disagree!

A little stuck on yourself arent you?

Leroy Lizard
2/15/2010, 04:37 AM
Since you and StoopTroup are infatuated, why not?

TexasLidig8r
2/15/2010, 09:46 AM
Well, yeah, it would be easier if Notre Dame would join the Big Ten (or even the Big East, where they compete in all other sports), but they're not going to until they're guaranteed to make more money in a conference than they would as an independent. Money is what is driving all of this conference realignment talk, not geography.

Actually.. no.

Neutered Dame receives less television revenue from NBC, than what they would receive if they joined the Big 10/11 in football.

When they entered into their initial contract with NBC, they were paid far more than any university at the time.. but that was before the Big 10 television contract.

And sure, if they go to a BCS game they get to keep that portion of its payout.. but, it's $4 - 5 million, not the larger amounts paid to teams from conferences.

For Neutered Dame, the decision is being determined by the older alumni, the subway fans.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/15/2010, 12:48 PM
If Texas to the Big 10 is plausible, then let's just pick up Miami and FSU. Why not?

meoveryouxinfinity
2/15/2010, 12:54 PM
For the most part, conference alignments are based on proximity, schools in the same region join up to form a conference. Are we now seeing the erosion of regional type conferences for conferences based solely on each member's ability to contribute revenue into the common pool? Will we see the creation of the Big Revenue Conference consisting of Texas, USC, Miami, Ohio State and Michigan because they can generate the most money playing each other in a round robin format?

Another issue would be the fans, the constiuency of each school. Are they left completely out of the equation? Does television income trump what they want for their team (and don't forget the boosters)?

Okay, enough of questions, let's look at this like it already happened. I am guessing that there will be a two-division format similar to the Big XII and SEC models. Michigan and Ohio State will be in one division, unlike the situation that exists now where they play each other every year regardless (the other Big 10 team's get byes from one or both of them due to scheduling). This would eliminate the possibility of those two playing twice in one season. Texas would be in the other division. An East-West split would seem the most logical as it would keep all members of each division in the same time zone.

East: Penn State-Ohio State-Michigan-Michigan State-Indiana-Purdue

West: Illinois-Northwestern-Wisconsin-Minnesota-Iowa-Texas

Based on the current football landscape, the Big 10 West Division for Texas would be comparable to the Big XII South without Oklahoma. While they would, on paper, have it easier competing in division, the cross divisional play would be tougher than it is going against Big XII North teams now. Horns would play one or two of Michigan-Ohio State-Penn State in a given year. It would make for some great football watching and will be a television marketing success. It won't be conducive to undefeated seasons for any of the teams involved.

and that begs the question: what would make more long term money? ratings or championships?
:texan: ratin's

goingoneight
2/15/2010, 01:36 PM
Still hitting the snooze button, knowing nothing will come of this.

boomersooner28
2/15/2010, 01:43 PM
Theres an article on ESPN with a quote from the Big Televen commish saying they havent had any conversation with anyone about joining their conference. This stuff comes outta nowhere.

goingoneight
2/15/2010, 01:48 PM
It comes out of their own writers stirring up offseason fodder.

OUDoc
2/15/2010, 02:19 PM
Theres an article on ESPN with a quote from the Big Televen commish saying they havent had any conversation with anyone about joining their conference. This stuff comes outta nowhere.

Lid should call him and point out all the money they could share with texas.

rainiersooner
2/16/2010, 10:44 PM
This comes out of Texas wanting to flex their muscles with who they perceive as their not worthy little brother Big XII members.

MI Sooner
2/18/2010, 07:57 PM
I never hear much discussion about the timing of TV contracts and how that affects the current payouts. Yes, it's relevant that the Big 10 gets a lot more money right now that the Big XII gets, but is that expected to hold up? If they signed their deal at the height of the market and the Big XII didn't, those numbers will be closer together down the road. ND signed their deal a long time ago, and it was huge. Now they get 1/2 of the average big 10 team. Does anyone here think that ND has the TV appeal of a middle of the road Big 10 school, like Iowa or Michigan St.?

Ruf/Nek7
2/23/2010, 01:21 PM
http://sportales.com/football/big-10-announces-texas-will-join-in-2012/
This site reports that texass to Big 10 is official. Dont know how credible this site is, but who knows. There are also rumors of OU going to SEC along with others to form a "Super Conference" Anybody familiar with this Sportales.com?

silverwheels
2/23/2010, 03:36 PM
That seems like at least a semi-satirical website. I wouldn't believe it.

Scott D
2/23/2010, 05:42 PM
I have to ask, did you even read some of their other headlines?

Patriots trading Randy Moss to the Packers, Wayne Rooney being outed as an android....

Sooner70
2/24/2010, 07:46 AM
Big Deal if Texas leaves. The Big 12 will get TCU or another deserving member. Schools jump conferences and conferences reorganize all the time. Live goes on. Sure, sometimes great rivalries get dumped or played on a different schedule....OU vs. Nebraska, Texas vs. Arkansas, etc., but the world doesn't come to an end.

I think the move would hurt Texas scheduling & travel wise, which they'd have tpo balance against the alleged $8MM/year increased revenue, but if that's what they decide to do, so be it.

Look at it this way....it might elevate both conferences. It'll rid the Big 12 of a bunch of "entitled" whiners with the ugliest uniforms/color on the face of the earth, and help the Big 10 enhance their regional diversity base in team composition. Besides, the side benefit is it'll help OU in recruiting. Who from this part of the world wants to play in ice/snow every other week?

soonervegas
2/24/2010, 11:42 AM
This comes out of Texas wanting to flex their muscles with who they perceive as their not worthy little brother Big XII members.

Unfortunately, Lid cannot see it. He's too busy packing for the move up north and high fiving to his fellow Texans.