PDA

View Full Version : Game yuo wish you could find on YouTube

Leroy Lizard
2/11/2010, 04:10 AM
Remember this one?

In 1980, Oklahoma and Colorado hooked up for a game [of] infamy, as 63 school, conference and national records were set in OU’s 82-42 win in Boulder

I didn't get to see that game, but it would be awesome to find a clip.

Here's a pretty cool recollection of the game:

http://www.cuatthegame.com/1980/colorado-v-12-oklahoma/

The second player I remember from that October afternoon was a Buff. I remember him as the right cornerback, and his number being #6. I didn’t know his name at the time, but the stats sheet from the game identifies Colorado #6 as defensive back Tim Stampley. Perhaps it was for the best that we didn’t know his name in the stands, for to us, #6 became known simply as the “designated chaser”. Baseball has a designated hitter, and CU, for this game anyway, had it’s designated chaser.

Lining up against the wide out on the left side of the Sooner offense, the designated chaser for the Buffs had limited action in defending against the passing game. Instead, it seemed to us that Stampley had a singular role. As the cornerback away from the flow of the play, his role was to run across the field, as Oklahoma ran its triple option right, and chase the OU quarterback or tailback all the way into the endzone as they ran for yet another long touchdown. He was not responsible, mind you, for actually catching and tackling the OU ball carrier, but simply chasing the back all the way to the endzone.

PLaw
2/11/2010, 08:42 AM
Individual:

- Most rushing yards, opponent, game: 258 (David Overstreet)

- Highest rushing average, opponent, game: 50.3 (Darrell Shepard – 3-for-151)

Ridiculous. God bless mother Shepard and Woody, Darrell, and Derrick

rawlingsHOH
2/11/2010, 09:44 AM
Check out the 2008 season.

Sooner04
2/11/2010, 09:51 AM
There was a play in that '80 Colorado game that was just ridiculous. Darrell Shepard is loose up the sideline. Nobody within ten yards of him. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, he fumbles. The ball bounces a couple of times on the old astro-turf and pops right back up to him while he NEVER breaks stride. Touchdown, JIMINY CHRISTMAS!

The old story goes that sometime in the third quarter Switzer grabs hold of the headset and radios up to the defensive booth. The conversation, I was told, went something like this:

Switzer: Can we stop these guys?

DC: Nope.

Switzer: Well, OK.

There's also a story floating around involving Fairbanks. Supposedly he sent word to Switzer in the 4th quarter to run nothing but the fullback for the rest of the game in the name of sportsmanship. That's obviously never been proven, but from the looks of the box score Colorado had difficulty stopping that play too.

jkjsooner
2/11/2010, 11:32 AM
I'd like to see the full 1985 OU/Miami game. I know we lost that game and it started a bad stretch against Miami but it was the first semi-big game I ever attended.

ESPN classic has shown the '86 and '88 ('87 season) games several times but I've never seen them show the '85 game.

This game was somewhat of a turning point in college football (both good and bad for OU). There was a lot that you couldn't have known going into this game:

1. It had a future Heisman QB (Testeverde). This was probably the most predictable as Testervede was a major contender even by this point.

2. It had a future HOF QB (Aikman).

3. It had Aikman's main receiver in the pros and fellow HOF player (Irvin) and the two coaches who coached them to three Super Bowl wins.

4. Outside of Testeverde, Miami was somewhat unknown. They had an early season loss that knocked them out of the rankings.

5. It had the emergence of the next great OU QB (Holieway).

All in all, I think it would be an interesting game to watch in retrospect.

Jacie
2/11/2010, 02:58 PM
The old story goes that sometime in the third quarter Switzer grabs hold of the headset and radios up to the defensive booth. The conversation, I was told, went something like this:

Switzer: Can we stop these guys?

DC: Nope.

Switzer: Well, OK.

The conversation you refer to was between Switzer and Lacewell during the 1976 OU-Colorado game.