View Full Version : Another of Reggie's endearing traits

Jacie
2/10/2010, 03:22 PM
Failing to live up to his word.

You're gonna love this one!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:22 pm EST

While Bush lives high, hometown scholarship reportedly runs dry
By Matt Hinton

Between allegedly running up a $300,000 tab from wannabe agents and hangers-on at USC, subsequent legal fees, the occasional gun-toting goon, various petty fines from the NFL and the usual financial burdens of garish young celebrity, former Heisman winner Reggie Bush has never been accused of pinching pennies, or of keeping an especially close eye on all of them. Still, I'm sure there's a line somewhere in the ledgers for a pair of former baseball teammates at Bush's old San Diego high school. The two were forced to go to a local television station last week in search of thousands in promised scholarship money from Bush that never materialized after their benefactor showed up in person, on camera, to hand out the awards at his old stomping grounds three years ago:

In March 2007, Helix High School seniors Brandon Fountain and Matt Cobb were presented a $10,000 scholarship from Bush to use for college.

Fountain attends Cuyamaca College, and Cobb entered San Diego State University. Each received a $2,500 installment on their scholarships in their freshman year. Both ran into problems the following year when trying to contact the scholarship's trustee, Jerry Michaels.

"Mr. Michaels never responded. A couple of weeks later, [Brandon] sent a second e-mail and still no response," said Fountain's father, Bruce.

It was the same story for Cobb, and after weeks of wondering they received an answer they were not expecting.

"That's when we were told he was out of funds and due to the economy he didn't have the money," said Cobb.

Michaels (no relation, presumably, to Michael Michaels, with whom Bush reached a settlement in 2007 to keep him quiet about their alleged pay-for-play agreement at USC) told the television station that "Bush's people" contacted him about funding a scholarship through an existing program Michaels oversees, but never followed up. The existing money in the fund was tied up in investments, and ran out when the stocks tanked; Michaels is on tape saying, "We ran out of funds." Sorry, kids.

Bush is a fat, easy target for populist anger on a subject like this. On top of his multimillion-dollar salary and additional $5 million in endorsement deals, Bush also picked up an extra $500,000 for helping the Doc's beloved Saints win the Super Bowl on Sunday. Maybe, between legal fees, house-hunting with Kim Kardashian and celebrity victory parties, he'll find some way to set aside 2 percent of that championship bonus for making good on his three-year-old promise at home. Based on his track record, I'm sure the check will be in the mail any day now, guys.

freshchris05
2/10/2010, 03:26 PM
i usually try to stay out of the "(insert star opposing player name here)" hate, but damn... really? what a worthless SOB

Widescreen
2/10/2010, 03:35 PM
This is a lot like a recent episode of The Office where Michael Scott had told a group of inner-city kids that he would pay for their college if they stayed in school. When they all graduated high school he had to go tell them he didn't have the money - sorry.

Only this isn't funny because real kids are affected by his negligence.

silverwheels
2/10/2010, 04:06 PM
Yet another bright moment for Ray J's wiener cousin.

MamaMia
2/10/2010, 05:39 PM
Wow. What a jerk; but we already knew that didn't we?

Oldnslo
2/10/2010, 05:48 PM
You have no idea how conflicted I am to have him on my favorite pro team. Let me say it this way: I think he deserves Kim Kardashian.

yermom
2/10/2010, 06:04 PM
that he does

maybe Jessica Simpson

badger
2/10/2010, 06:11 PM
This is a lot like a recent episode of The Office where Michael Scott had told a group of inner-city kids that he would pay for their college if they stayed in school. When they all graduated high school he had to go tell them he didn't have the money - sorry.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sB8DQJJtLA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sB8DQJJtLA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Oh my :eek:

yermom
2/10/2010, 06:14 PM
the first time i heard this story, on Yahoo! i think, they were comparing him to Michael Scott. pretty hilarious

Collier11
2/10/2010, 06:17 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sB8DQJJtLA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sB8DQJJtLA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Oh my :eek:

my first thought was this episode, lol

badger
2/10/2010, 06:28 PM
I am listening to it now here. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/110130/the-office-scotts-tots)

olevetonahill
2/10/2010, 06:46 PM
Some one smarter than me , Thats Most of ya.

Find out who hes gettin his Endorsement deals from get us and email addy
Lets start a Campaign. To get those kids a Full ride :D

Leroy Lizard
2/10/2010, 09:41 PM
Didn't another former USC RB pull a stunt like this recently?

sooner59
2/11/2010, 01:19 AM
Didn't another former USC RB pull a stunt like this recently?

No, he actually murdered two people.

Oh wait......I have a feeling you weren't talking about Orenthal James.

soonerloyal
2/11/2010, 09:28 AM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/ReggieBush_TrashyElevator.jpg

Oh, he can afford this incredibly tacky elevator in his house, but can't make good on his word. What a surprise. What a piece of trash azzhat.

Jacie
2/11/2010, 10:06 AM
Some one smarter than me , Thats Most of ya.

Find out who hes gettin his Endorsement deals from get us and email addy
Lets start a Campaign. To get those kids a Full ride :D

Take your pick of who you want to email/boycott:

Subway

Adidas

Hummer

EA Sports

And his most recent deal, Red Bull

badger
2/11/2010, 12:43 PM
Take your pick of who you want to email/boycott:

Subway

Adidas

Hummer

EA Sports

And his most recent deal, Red Bull

I don't eat Scrubway anymore (but might if they give Blake Griffin his own sandwich), I only buy Adidas crap that's in the bargain basket, I'll never drive a Hummer and EA Sports games have been shovelware crap lately.

Oh, and Red Bull and other energy drinks would probably kill me from caffeine, so sure, I'm boycotting because of reggie ;)

OUMallen
2/11/2010, 02:29 PM
i usually try to stay out of the "(insert star opposing player name here)" hate, but damn... really? what a worthless SOB

Could be the trustee's fault, not Reggie's.

SCOUT
2/11/2010, 08:48 PM

I thought the exact same thing