PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Who Hate??

SoonerInKCMO
2/8/2010, 08:19 PM
Seriously - worst halftime show ever.

Daltrey couldn't remember the words. He nearly wheezed to death while trying to play the harmonica. Pot-bellied beanpole on the guitar looked arthritic.

Bah. Awful.

IGotNoTiming
2/8/2010, 08:29 PM
Remember the words?!?!?! It was obvious during at least 3 points of the show he was lip-syncing.... Just awful. Besides I heard them on a live concert on TV from 2 or 3 years ago and his voice was so wretched I wished he had been lip-syncing then.....

This was by far the worst of the SuperBowl rock band performances...

SoonerStormchaser
2/8/2010, 08:42 PM
I didn't watch the game...or the halftime show...so I wouldn't know. That being said, the Who is so far past their shelf life, it's no longer entertaining.

Leroyt
2/8/2010, 08:43 PM
Word to that! The weird thing is, I heard this morning that the game had the biggest tv audience of all time. NO vs. Indy? I don't know what the popularity of this matchup says about us, but the older whiteguyification of the halftime show is pretty alarming. I'll be shocked to not see the Steve Miller Band or Jimmy Buffett in the next 5 years at this rate.

SoonerInKCMO
2/8/2010, 08:59 PM
It was obvious during at least 3 points of the show he was lip-syncing....

What's scary about that is... that means they pre-recorded that hot mess!

royalfan5
2/8/2010, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Moon and Entwistle were spinning in their graves.

salth2o
2/8/2010, 09:15 PM
..and Steve Winwood succed just as bad in the pre-game.

fAm1VNvRBP0

Clever Trevor
2/8/2010, 09:18 PM
There is no way that he was lip syncing. Sometimes audio and video lose sync - it can be due to camera switch/feedback etc.. NO WAY that vocal performance was faked. It was horrible.

sooner rick
2/8/2010, 09:24 PM
I agrre it was horrible, but I'd rather see that than some sorry *** rap show!

ictsooner7
2/8/2010, 09:28 PM
I agree it sucked but, compared to this everything sucks. Greatest rock and roll song ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y&feature=related

Clever Trevor
2/8/2010, 09:36 PM
or nothing sucks compared to this...

_sarYH0z948

ictsooner7
2/8/2010, 09:41 PM
or nothing sucks compared to this...

_sarYH0z948

Very true. Sad to see them selling out but, if someone offered me a bucket of money to play my songs I'd take it.

BTW - how do you put the video in the message?

47Wins
2/8/2010, 10:14 PM
I agree it sucked but, compared to this everything sucks. Greatest rock and roll song ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y&feature=related

Have to agree, that is a great song and amazing performance, what does it have to do with those poor, broken-down old bastards that played the half-time show?

Curly Bill
2/8/2010, 10:19 PM
I didn't watch it, but I've never been a Who fan, so I'll go along with you guys who say they sucked. :D

starclassic tama
2/8/2010, 10:21 PM
i didn't think it was that bad. what do you expect, those dudes are like 60

fadada1
2/8/2010, 10:24 PM
wish i could disagree, but i can't. very disappointing.

i'm not sure what this says about current music, but the superbowl seems to be going after the classic bands - probably because the have talent. as much as the WHO sucked it up, they still have more talent than most new bands - they're just too old to show it off like they did in the 70's. again for dramatic effect...... THE 70'S!!!!!!!

problem is, we can't keep a decent new band from doing something stupid during their performance.

Leroy Lizard
2/8/2010, 10:24 PM
With Entwistle gone, I didn't see any reason for The Who to be chosen. Only a half of the band is still around.

Look at this way: A lot of people at the game got to see The Who play for the first time. They're legends.

Who's next? They would have to be legends that have wide appeal. Would like to see a group that can still play. Neil Young and Crazy Horse? Bowie? Deep Purple?

Curly Bill
2/8/2010, 10:25 PM
Lets get Cream back together, maybe the Yardbirds?

Leroy Lizard
2/8/2010, 10:27 PM
we can't keep a decent new band from doing something stupid during their performance.

This.

If you want to freak everyone out, bring in a DJ like DJ Tiesto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIA7uzcjiTw

Leroy Lizard
2/8/2010, 10:28 PM
Keith Relf of The Yardbirds is dead. Who would sing?

SoonerStormchaser
2/8/2010, 10:29 PM
i'm not sure what this says about current music, but the superbowl seems to be going after the classic bands - probably because the have talent. as much as the WHO sucked it up, they still have more talent than most new bands - they're just too old to show it off like they did in the 70's. again for dramatic effect...... THE 70'S!!!!!!!

Rush would've put on a much better show...and they're from the 70's

Curly Bill
2/8/2010, 10:32 PM
Keith Relf of The Yardbirds is dead. Who would sing?

OK, scratch the Yardbirds.

Leroy Lizard
God already did.

Curly Bill
Rush would've put on a much better show...and they're from the 70's

Oh Lowered! Talk about a band I just don't get.

Curly Bill
2/8/2010, 10:35 PM
Lets get GNR back together!

Leroy Lizard
2/8/2010, 10:36 PM
GNR? Good God no! Anyone but them. They totally sucked.

Curly Bill
2/8/2010, 10:40 PM
GNR? Good God no! Anyone but them. They totally sucked.

Your mom totally sucked! :P

SoonerStormchaser
2/8/2010, 10:44 PM
Oh Lowered! Talk about a band I just don't get.

Don't let LAS see this thread.

Curly Bill
2/8/2010, 10:46 PM
Don't let LAS see this thread.

LAS is skeered of me, he won't come around. :D

prrriiide
2/8/2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, they sucked. But they also got ZERO help from the CBS audio chimps. I'll guarantee that the Who's road sound guy was doing the live board, and the CBS idiots were messing with it on the outbound TV signal. It was obvious to me that whoever was doing the sound for CBS had never mixed a live rock show in his life. Just mix Daltrey and Townshend back into the ensemble a little bit, play with the sweetening pots, and they would have sounded 10x better.

But Daltrey and Townshend should have just said "No thanks. We have enough money. But we'll be happy to take comp tix." when the SB people came calling.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/982I6vVB/998653.jpg

LA.SoonerFan
2/8/2010, 11:15 PM
Who actually watches the halftime show anyway? That's just another reason to go take a **** and down a couple more brews. I never was a Who fan, so I didn't even watch them.

IGotNoTiming
2/8/2010, 11:56 PM
Bill,
I couldn't agree more... Wheels of Fire is one of the greatest rock albums ever...
and just think if Cream were able to finish the set- odds are we could be treated to Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker kicking the living sh** out of each other for the encore....

GottaHavePride
2/9/2010, 01:27 AM
I thought they were a good show. Of course they weren't perfect - look how damn old those guys are now. But it's like listening to Tom Jones now. Yeah he's old, but he's still Sir Tom ****ing Jones.

Would you prefer the SuperBowl organizers to call up Lady GaGa or some crap like that instead? And mad props to The Who for actually playing live. (It wasn't pre-recorded. Bass players don't come in two measures early on a pre-recorded track. He covered it well.)

MamaMia
2/9/2010, 01:32 AM
It was okay. They were not The Who of days gone by but they're classic and it was fun watching some old dudes being young again. The light show was pretty cool and the fireworks were awesome. :D

SteelClip49
2/9/2010, 01:33 AM
Best Halftime show ever.....Super Bowl XXXV !!!!!!

One major collaboration of Aerosmith, N'Sync, Mary J. Blige, Britney Spears and Nelly. Now that kicked some serious ***. It started with Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler.

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 01:36 AM
Would you prefer the SuperBowl organizers to call up Lady GaGa or some crap like that instead?

You sold me.

I vote for Led Zeppelin for the next Super Bowl.

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 01:39 AM
One major collaboration of Aerosmith, N'Sync, Mary J. Blige, Britney Spears and Nelly. Now that kicked some serious ***.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

I vote for groups with talent for all Super Bowl shows. That should be a requirement.

At least Aerosmith can play musical instruments.

SteelClip49
2/9/2010, 01:39 AM
How about a country music halftime spectacular since it will be in Dallas 2011!!!! Underwood, Brooks, Gill, Reba, Keith.....Oklahoma flavor!!!

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 01:47 AM
No! Pop country is, like, horrible.

Real country... okay. Line up some John Anderson, Merle Haggard (who is still excellent), and maybe some Charlie Daniels Band (not a fan).

And absolutely no country rock.

We could go one better and line up Led Zeppelin with some of the bluegrass greats. I would love that.

misplacedsooner
2/9/2010, 02:48 AM
i had heard the eagles may do next years show.
i like alot of who songs myself but they are past performing by a few years and it showed, id rather remember them the way they were and wish id of never seen this halftime show....god, i feel old now.

WA. Sooner
2/9/2010, 02:58 AM
Ted Nugent!

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 03:13 AM
Please, not The Eagles. God I hate them!

No! No! No!

I'm all for Ted Nugent, but since pro football is going the family route (like the little sissies in NASCAR) then Stranglehold is probably out of the question.

LA.SoonerFan
2/9/2010, 08:41 AM
Damn you Janet Jackson for messing everything up.

SteelClip49
2/9/2010, 09:08 AM
Leroy....who do you not hate?

How bout Hanson, Kings of Leon, Cross Canadian Ragweed, All-American Rejects and the Flaming Lips?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/9/2010, 09:16 AM
Personally, I think CB4 could rock the joint as good as anybody

freshchris05
2/9/2010, 09:22 AM
Steve winwood has sucked since traffic... how can you go from dear mr fantasy... to bring me a higher love?

freshchris05
2/9/2010, 09:24 AM
and the who? they should catch a break... come on they're like 97

i say you get p-funk together and do the damn thing

rawlingsHOH
2/9/2010, 09:32 AM
Remember the words?!?!?! It was obvious during at least 3 points of the show he was lip-syncing.... Just awful. Besides I heard them on a live concert on TV from 2 or 3 years ago and his voice was so wretched I wished he had been lip-syncing then.....

This was by far the worst of the SuperBowl rock band performances...

Wow, I came away thinking exactly the opposite. No way were they lip-syncing.

rawlingsHOH
2/9/2010, 09:35 AM
I like The Who a lot. Yes, we've heard the songs a million times and they are over-the-hill. But I thought it was fine.

rawlingsHOH
2/9/2010, 09:35 AM
Next year....

Toby Keith! As we already know it is going to be a country act.

jthomas666
2/9/2010, 09:45 AM
While it's technically possible that The Who's performance could have been worse, but it probably would have involved leaking colostomy bags.

sjt
2/9/2010, 09:50 AM
I'm not complaining. They could always go back to something like "Up With People".

ouleaf
2/9/2010, 10:32 AM
I think Green Day might be a good choice for next year. They have a pretty good catalogue of songs that most people enjoy. They always play live too.

Also wouldn't mind some Chili Peppers

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 10:38 AM
Green Day? Not even the punk crowd likes them anymore. Totally passe. Half the crowd would not have even heard of them.

Red Hot Chili Peppers are great, but after the Janet Jackson fiasco...

I still think Neil Young would be a good choice. Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin if they can still work it. Beach Boys?

SteelClip49
2/9/2010, 10:40 AM
are there any members of the Beach Boys left? If so then I say that would be a great performance.

I'd like to see Phil Collins, Sting, Kiss, Neil Diamond, ZZ Top perform.

TUSooner
2/9/2010, 10:46 AM
The half-time interruption of a football game is nothing more than a necessary evil. I don't care who (no pun intended) is performing; there's just no way to make half time a good thing. I like The Who, but I took the opportunity to gas up my daughter's car for her, and I still got back in plenty of time for the clean-up prior to the start of the second half. The best half time show in the world is still just a waste of time.

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 10:56 AM
The Beach Boys still tour, but I think only two are left. For a show like the Super Bowl, Al Jardine would probably join in. But Carl and Dennis are no longer with us.

ZZ Top would be good. Neil Diamond? LOL!

KantoSooner
2/9/2010, 11:28 AM
We all got fooled again.

Seriously, there hasn't been a decent musical act at halftime for a loooooong time (in fact I can't remember one, but then I didn't see superduperbowls for big stretches of years, living overseas.)

It seems like we have a choice: current era band, of whom they all suck. Or old band, who are past their prime and showing it. And anyway, when they were in their prime, we were all younger, fuller of horomones and synthetic chemicals and feeling mytee finer than these days; so it all sounded better.

Here's a typical for me chaos biased suggestion: take a list of 20 cities at random, select a live music venue from each, at random, then ask the manager to suggest the most fun band they've had in the last 90 days. Select from that list and offer that band the chance to play the super bowl, live, for free. You'd at least see some serious motivation.

TUSooner
2/9/2010, 11:55 AM
We all got fooled again.

Seriously, there hasn't been a decent musical act at halftime for a loooooong time (in fact I can't remember one, but then I didn't see superduperbowls for big stretches of years, living overseas.)

It seems like we have a choice: current era band, of whom they all suck. Or old band, who are past their prime and showing it. And anyway, when they were in their prime, we were all younger, fuller of horomones and synthetic chemicals and feeling mytee finer than these days; so it all sounded better.

Here's a typical for me chaos biased suggestion: take a list of 20 cities at random, select a live music venue from each, at random, then ask the manager to suggest the most fun band they've had in the last 90 days. Select from that list and offer that band the chance to play the super bowl, live, for free. You'd at least see some serious motivation.

Better still: Cut the halftime back to the the proper 15-minute length and let a carefully (or carelessly) selected high school or college marching band perform. The End.

Jacie
2/9/2010, 12:07 PM
I would like to see the Kilgore Rangerettes again . . .

KantoSooner
2/9/2010, 12:09 PM
I could go for that. Or just let the cheerleaders loose for the full time and cut beer prices to 'free' for the whole halftime. Create serious confliction amongst the rasty guys who form the core of football devotees.

SoonerInLubbock
2/9/2010, 12:12 PM
There is no way that he was lip syncing. Sometimes audio and video lose sync - it can be due to camera switch/feedback etc.. NO WAY that vocal performance was faked. It was horrible.

From someone in the know.......^This^

Crimson Kid
2/9/2010, 01:20 PM
Screw all these sissy bands, bring in megadeth metallica slayer exodus some bands that will get you up and moving, not put you to sleep. :)

goingoneight
2/9/2010, 01:27 PM
wish i could disagree, but i can't. very disappointing.

problem is, we can't keep a decent new band from doing something stupid during their performance.

That's not so true. There's plenty of great talent still available. Whoever schedules Super Bowl halftime entertainment elected to dig up a bunch of wash up corpses after the Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson fiasco. The halftime used to be geared toward pop music until the "wardrobe malfunction." It may be an image thing, but I'd prefer an old star singing with a tracheotomy (sp?) over today's "pop" music.

goingoneight
2/9/2010, 01:29 PM
What about Michael Ja---

Oh... nevermind. :D

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 01:34 PM
Or make Super Bowl a tribute to a musical genre (except rap) with three bands lined up, each playing one song. It could be a learning experience on top of the entertainment. I could certainly go for a Kraftwerk/Art of Noise/Yellow Magic Orchestra lineup.

No rap, though. And no pop crap. It has to be meaningful music that is likely to be around ten years from today.

Dio
2/9/2010, 01:42 PM
Screw all these sissy bands, bring in megadeth metallica slayer exodus some bands that will get you up and moving, not put you to sleep. :)

IN

The Who did stink, but the red white and blue cymbals were cool

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 02:14 PM
Two words: Rob Zombie

RacerX
2/9/2010, 03:00 PM
The half-time interruption of a football game is nothing more than a necessary evil. I don't care who (no pun intended) is performing; there's just no way to make half time a good thing. I like The Who, but I took the opportunity to gas up my daughter's car for her, and I still got back in plenty of time for the clean-up prior to the start of the second half. The best half time show in the world is still just a waste of time.

Your gas station has a happy ending?

captain_surly
2/9/2010, 03:25 PM

I was embarassed for what's left of the Who.

I vote for Here Come the Mummies singing Booty. If thet don't get you up and moving nothing will. Those boys bring the funk like it was meant to be brought. Of course there would be more outrage than Janet's boob caused but I don't care.

captain_surly
2/9/2010, 03:25 PM

I was embarassed for what's left of the Who.

I vote for Here Come the Mummies singing Booty. If thet don't get you up and moving nothing will. Those boys bring the funk like it was meant to be brought. Of course there would be more outrage than Janet's boob caused but I don't care.

GottaHavePride
2/9/2010, 03:39 PM
I say ask Alice Cooper if he wants to do the next one. And when he says no, ask him who HE would schedule.

GottaHavePride
2/9/2010, 03:39 PM
I say ask Alice Cooper if he wants to do the next one. And when he says no, ask him who HE would schedule.

sooneron
2/9/2010, 03:40 PM
Kings Of Leon should get it soon. They have wide appeal and they are very good live. They need to get some newer bands on there. The current "safe" re-treads trend succs.

GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride

sooneron
2/9/2010, 03:41 PM
again?

Parliament would get my other vote.

humblesooner
2/9/2010, 05:20 PM
The Who performed in the tribute to Princess Di many years ago.
Roger's voice was gone even back then.
While they do not tour, they do still perform together on occasion.
I love their music and am sad that they do not have the voices they used to have. The performance did suck for anyone who was not a fan of The Who. But if you just listened to the music and could block out the singing, they are still excellent musicians.

PS:
:D

Jacie
2/9/2010, 07:19 PM
I say bane idoits who double and triple post . . .

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2010, 08:05 PM
I vote for Here Come the Mummies singing Booty. If thet don't get you up and moving nothing will. Those boys bring the funk like it was meant to be brought.

Oh, puh-leeeze!!!

That band is completely uncreative and derivative. Hell, I would rather ask Parliament or George Clinton to take a wack at it. Or Fishbone (a band that is far better than the Mummy ****.)

Even the costumes are a ripoff.

Boooo!!!!! Booooo!!!!

captain_surly
2/10/2010, 07:05 AM
I say bane idoits who double and triple post . . .

I swear I only clicked once. Really. :O I don't know what GHP's excuse is.

captain_surly
2/10/2010, 07:07 AM
Oh, puh-leeeze!!!

That band is completely uncreative and derivative. Hell, I would rather ask Parliament or George Clinton to take a wack at it. Or Fishbone (a band that is far better than the Mummy ****.)

Even the costumes are a ripoff.

Boooo!!!!! Booooo!!!!

I'm absolutely honored. Thank you!

bmjlr
2/10/2010, 09:10 AM
I agrre it was horrible, but I'd rather see that than some sorry *** rap show!

I could not agree more!

GottaHavePride
2/11/2010, 01:29 AM
I swear I only clicked once. Really. :O I don't know what GHP's excuse is.

That's called I clicked once, and I didn't think it had even worked, so I gave up and went and did something else. Who knew?

MamaMia
2/11/2010, 02:11 AM
I'm now getting several reports from friends and family who were actually there. They all seem to to agree that The Who half time show was great.