PDA

View Full Version : Do we make room for another recruit?

Tigeman
2/8/2010, 03:15 PM
Who said recruiting stops when national signing day is completed?

Tom Luginbill settled down after his marathon appearance on ESPNU's show to provide some more information that has some direct bearing on a couple of schools.

You can follow all of the information you want in real time by checking out ESPN.com's On The Trail, which is a part of the Insider benefits.

WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Miami, FL

El Camino College (CA)

Touted El Camino College (Torrance, Calif.) wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins did not sign Wednesday and is still awaiting his release from Tennessee, ESPN affiliate Web site DuckTerritory.com reports.

Originally from Miami, Fla., Thompkins signed with the Volunteers during the early period prior to the coaching change.

He caught 69 passes for 1,020 yards (14.8 average) and nine touchdowns during the 2009 season. In 2008, he caught 42 balls for 746 yards (17.8 average) and five scores.

Thompkins is now considering Oregon, Oklahoma, Nebraska and California.

Tennessee fans are in an uproar that this JUCO kid wants to be released out of his LOI. They're still butthurt I guess over the Kiffin thing. Starting to sound like the jilted lover.

I know it sucks having a guy want out, but the class thing to do is let him go. Look at us and our BBall recruiting class after Sampson left. It sucked, but we let Scottie Reynolds and Damion James out, b/c it was the right thing to do. Of course, it bit us in the a$$. But it was right, and classy!

ESPN has us amongst the schools vying for his services again. Any chance we make the room? Or do we still have a spot due to some non-qualifiers?

Tigeman
2/8/2010, 03:20 PM
Some more

it had previously been reported that juco wr kenbrell thompkins did not follow through on plans to enroll early at tennessee. Well, apparently becoming a vol is no longer in his plans. In fact, thompkins told jcfootball.com (via the tulsa world) that all sec schools are out of the picture now. (even though he is from miami.) and so is lane kiffin's new employer, usc, even though it's not far from his junior college. "i'm not going to go down that road again with (the staff)," thompkins said. "i've already been burned once, i don't want to get burned again."

thompkins, a juco teammate of vols qb signee matt simms, who is sticking with tennessee, said that he likes oklahoma a lot but he doesn't have a current favorite. It sounds as if he is staying at el camino (calif.) college for a final semester to evaluate his options.

MojoRisen
2/8/2010, 03:28 PM
I was sure we had 30 spots with the early guys coming in. I would be all over this guy with his size and speed.

Tigeman
2/8/2010, 04:12 PM
From what I gather the kid is an OU lean, with some calling him an OU lock. I wouldn't exactly use the lock term though.

Also his LOI to TN is a non-issue and he does not need to get released b/c it is not valid. Apparently Thompkins didn't graduate his JUCO, so he's ineligible. Not sure what that means for us though. Does that mean he just finishes up this semester and comes in during summer?

pappy
2/8/2010, 04:24 PM
I hope we get him

Tigeman
2/8/2010, 05:03 PM
Man check out this guy's video's! Look at his Yards after contact and after catch! I know that's JUCO and that they don't wrap up like D1 players, but the kid has great balance. This could be a huge get for us! If we can fit him in and close the deal! He's a deep threat too!

Kenbrell Thompkins Freshman year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDp6kcoxAUE)

Keep in mind this was his freshman year as well!