PDA

View Full Version : Jack Murtha, congressman, D, PA, died today.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/8/2010, 02:46 PM
I just heard on the radio. He was ill, and passed today. I didn't hear any details. Dude was a militant, hardcore D. It will be interesting to see what happens, politically.

Okla-homey
2/8/2010, 02:50 PM
I just heard on the radio. He was ill, and passed today. I didn't hear any details. Dude was a militant, hardcore D. It will be interesting to see what happens, politically.

Another GOP pick-up? :D

Breadburner
2/8/2010, 02:55 PM
Another GOP pick-up? :D

Bingo...!

lexsooner
2/8/2010, 03:06 PM

You forgot to mention he was also a USMC officer, a Vietnam veteran and decorated war hero.

JohnnyMack
2/8/2010, 03:08 PM
You forgot to mention he was also a USMC officer, a Vietnam veteran and decorated war hero.

With us or against us. There is no other way. Haven't you learned anything by now?

2/8/2010, 03:12 PM
You forgot to mention he was also a USMC officer, a Vietnam veteran and decorated war hero.I left that for you guys on the left. His politics were hard left. Much like when I talk about McCain, I usually mention his politics, instead of his military experience.

C&CDean
2/8/2010, 03:18 PM
With us or against us. There is no other way. Haven't you learned anything by now?

Be fair JM. With the board fringe loonies, it goes both ways - regardless of which fringe they hang on.

SoonerEMT
2/8/2010, 03:20 PM
I had heard last week that he had fallen ill after having gallbladder surgery...

It is a real shame that he died before ever apologizing to the marines that he labeled as "murders" of "innocent civilians" long before they were cleared of any wrongdoing.

It also sad that he will be forever remembered more for his bitter partisanship than for his service to the country...

lexsooner
2/8/2010, 03:25 PM
I left that for you guys on the left. His politics were hard left. Much like when I talk about McCain, I usually mention his politics, instead of his military experience.

Yeah, when it is a political discussion. However, how is the legacy of a public figure who passed away limited to his political views? There are plenty of veterans and others on this board whom I am sure find Murtha's distinguished military career notable in his passing.

soonerscuba
2/8/2010, 03:34 PM
I am more surprised by the fact nothing is all caps in the thread title than by the actual story.

2/8/2010, 03:34 PM
Be fair JM. With the board fringe loonies, it goes both ways - regardless of which fringe they hang on.yawn. There you go, again.

C&CDean
2/8/2010, 03:41 PM
There I go again what? If you don't see it, you're ****ing blind. You and tuba on one side, and soonerscuba and lexsooner on the other. Mirror images of each other from the far reaches.

And it's not just you 4. There's plenty more, you guys are just more prolific.

C&CDean
2/8/2010, 03:44 PM
And FWIW, I respect Murtha's military service, however, I think he's a partisan POS who completely screwed the pooch on criticizing those marines. He's kind of like John Kerry lite. Or maybe extra stout.

soonerscuba
2/8/2010, 03:50 PM
There I go again what? If you don't see it, you're ****ing blind. You and tuba on one side, and soonerscuba and lexsooner on the other. Mirror images of each other from the far reaches.

And it's not just you 4. There's plenty more, you guys are just more prolific.At some point I've done something to convince you I'm the left wing equivalent of Rush. I don't really see it, namely because I try not to blanket conservatives with some sort of ideal of what I believe them to be in my own mind's eye or label them with childish names, but I am curious as to how you came to that conclusion. I guess I feel like I get along fine with most of the board conservatives and you alone seem to namedrop me as a crazy a lot.

2/8/2010, 03:50 PM

And it's not just you 4. There's plenty more, you guys are just more prolific.As best as I can tell, we (that's you and me) pretty much agree on political, as well as a lot of other, things. So, if you want to call yourself a fringe loony, I'm not gonna try to stop you.

C&CDean
2/8/2010, 04:00 PM
At some point I've done something to convince you I'm the left wing equivalent of Rush. I don't really see it, namely because I try not to blanket conservatives with some sort of ideal of what I believe them to be in my own mind's eye or label them with childish names, but I am curious as to how you came to that conclusion. I guess I feel like I get along fine with most of the board conservatives and you alone seem to namedrop me as a crazy a lot.

You were in the thread, so it made you handy. I apologize. I still think you favor the dark side though.

soonerscuba
2/8/2010, 04:02 PM
You were in the thread, so it made you handy. I apologize. I still think you favor the dark side though.Fair enough, and I do favor the dark side. Beats working for a living.

C&CDean
2/8/2010, 04:03 PM
As best as I can tell, we (that's you and me) pretty much agree on political, as well as a lot of other, things. So, if you want to call yourself a fringe loony, I'm not gonna try to stop you.

Yes, we do have similar political ideals, and maybe other things. The difference, and what puts you on the fringe, is your inability to do anything other than chide the other side. If you post, it's about politics, and trying to show problems with the left while pimping the right. At times, you're at least as obnoxious as your namesake. And, like with the real Rush, I pretty much believe the same as he does. The difference is I can do it without being obnoxious about it. Does that make sense?

yermom
2/8/2010, 04:06 PM
without being obnoxious, hmm...

2/8/2010, 04:21 PM
Yes, we do have similar political ideals, and maybe other things. The difference, and what puts you on the fringe, is your inability to do anything other than chide the other side. If you post, it's about politics, and trying to show problems with the left while pimping the right. At times, you're at least as obnoxious as your namesake. And, like with the real Rush, I pretty much believe the same as he does. The difference is I can do it without being obnoxious about it. Does that make sense?Yes, Part of your job here, is to get along.
"Can't we...j-just..get..along"?-Rodney Whatsisface, after being subdued by a bunch of cops.
BTW, I don't know if you've ever noticed I post a lot in the football forum, where I go after cows, trojans, and the orange aggy, mostly.

2/8/2010, 05:30 PM
Will there be an election before the Nov. election? or can the governor appoint someone, or what?

SoonerBorn68
2/8/2010, 05:35 PM
Who will use the John Murtha (Memorial) Airport now?

Pogue Mahone
2/8/2010, 07:05 PM
Here's what's being said about your "militant hardcore" Democrat.

“Jack and I served together for over 30 years, and I have never seen a more valiant defender of the men and women of our armed forces, nor a more steadfast advocate for our country's unequaled national defense. Jack was a true patriot, and the Congress will be a much lesser place without him.” Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-Calif.

He was "hardcore" at pork-barrel spending; I'll give you that.

2/8/2010, 08:12 PM
I understand there WILL be a special erection, but i haven't heard details, yet.

Okla-homey
2/8/2010, 08:23 PM
Murtha deserves credit for his service in Vietnam.

He deserved a swift kick in the kineekies for his attempted discrediting of the Iraqi surge strategy and the fact he went on the record, with the enhanced credibility that comes from being one of the very few vets in the Congress, and shouted to the rafters the surge was doomed to fail.

He's dead now. RIP. Let's continue to recruit people like Sen. Brown (R-MA) who have post-20th century military experience, because those guys "get" it.

Pogue Mahone
2/8/2010, 08:48 PM
Gov. Ed Rendell has 10 days to set a special election for the seat of "militant hardcore" Murtha. It'll probably be May 18, which would have been primary day for the seat.

A Sooner in Texas
2/8/2010, 08:59 PM

I laughed.

RacerX
2/8/2010, 11:42 PM

INCONCEIVABLE!

SoonerStormchaser
2/9/2010, 12:24 AM
And FWIW, I respect Murtha's military service, however, I think he's a partisan POS who completely screwed the pooch on criticizing those marines. He's kind of like John Kerry lite. Or maybe extra stout.

DING DING DING DING!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
2/9/2010, 09:45 AM

As such, I honor him and his service. His politics, not so much. Glad the pork barrel spending in PA will be reduced somewhat.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/9/2010, 09:48 AM
Beats working for a living.

And that is what most people rail against. They are tired of supporting people who do nothing in their life but cash gubment checks, have babies and drink alcohol...

I am NOT saying you do those things...

Crucifax Autumn
2/9/2010, 10:16 AM
I've NEVER given birth!

OklahomaTuba
2/9/2010, 10:24 AM
"He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him."

May he rest in peace, wherever he happens to be resting.

soonerscuba
2/9/2010, 10:41 AM
And that is what most people rail against. They are tired of supporting people who do nothing in their life but cash gubment checks, have babies and drink alcohol...

I am NOT saying you do those things...I guess we need a tongue in cheek icon.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/9/2010, 12:33 PM
MURTHA HATES BOOBIES

2/9/2010, 12:36 PM
As such, I honor him and his service. His politics, not so much. Glad the pork barrel spending in PA will be reduced somewhat.exactamundo...we can hope

swardboy
2/9/2010, 01:52 PM
Gee, routine gall bladder procedure, the surgeon nicks the intestines, infection sets in and he's dead in two days.

RIP....I will not miss him.

lexsooner
2/10/2010, 12:49 PM
As such, I honor him and his service. His politics, not so much. Glad the pork barrel spending in PA will be reduced somewhat.

Yes, without a doubt he was a big-time pork barrel spender, in the same league as Byrd (D) from WV, or Rep. Hal Rogers (R) from Kentucky. It should be noted, however, in the political ring he was one of the biggest advocates for benefits for military veterans and fought hard for decades on behalf of veterans and those in the military. He may have done or said some things with which many do not agree, but he should also be remembered for this.

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2010, 12:52 PM
Gee, routine gall bladder procedure, the surgeon nicks the intestines, infection sets in and he's dead in two days.

How could this be? Surgeons are never negligent!

JohnnyMack
2/10/2010, 02:30 PM
How could this be? Surgeons are never negligent!

And lawyers are never greedy!

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2010, 02:33 PM
And lawyers are never greedy!

They aren't?

Crap, I'm in the wrong place then...

TopDawg
2/10/2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, we do have similar political ideals, and maybe other things. The difference, and what puts you on the fringe, is your inability to do anything other than chide the other side. If you post, it's about politics, and trying to show problems with the left while pimping the right. At times, you're at least as obnoxious as your namesake. And, like with the real Rush, I pretty much believe the same as he does. The difference is I can do it without being obnoxious about it. Does that make sense?

It's like some of my Republican friends on facebook. They tell me that there was a lot that Bush did that they didn't agree with, but those things never showed up on their facebook postings. These days, though, they report 4 or 5 times a day on all the stuff they don't agree with. They get all in a tizzy about Democrats not being bipartisan as if they think it's a skill that Republicans have mastered. They gripe about Obama's penchant for spending as if Bush was a penny pincher. And I know there are those on the left who do the same sort of thing. And, like my friends I'm talking about, they too are on the fringe.

lexsooner
2/10/2010, 04:03 PM
It's like some of my Republican friends on facebook. They tell me that there was a lot that Bush did that they didn't agree with, but those things never showed up on their facebook postings. These days, though, they report 4 or 5 times a day on all the stuff they don't agree with. They get all in a tizzy about Democrats not being bipartisan as if they think it's a skill that Republicans have mastered. They gripe about Obama's penchant for spending as if Bush was a penny pincher. And I know there are those on the left who do the same sort of thing. And, like my friends I'm talking about, they too are on the fringe.

That's exactly what I found. It seems political partisanship influences the actions of people much more than political philosophies. It's my tribe!

2/10/2010, 04:06 PM
That's exactly what I found. It seems political partisanship influences the actions of people much more than political philosophies. It's my tribe!Ah, the old moral equivalency argument. nice try!

VeeJay
2/14/2010, 09:20 PM
Thank you for your military service to our country. I would never begrudge a serviceman or woman who fought bravely in defense of our ideals. For that, I am grateful. God be with you and R.I.P.

As for your 36 year perch in Congress, it's obvious you learned how to work the system a.k.a. fleecing the taxpayers for massive pork projects that amounted to little. Ethically challenged as you were, Congress will be a better place lacking your presence. You represented the problem and served as a poster boy for everything rotten in Washington.

Forgive my bluntness; 1 down, 434 to go.