PDA

View Full Version : Shoplifting.....really?

soonervegas
2/8/2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.newsok.com/two-ou-mens-hoops-players-arrested/article/3437939?custom_click=pod_headline_sports

yermom
2/8/2010, 12:27 PM
hmm

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/8/2010, 12:28 PM
Two new candidates for the Jenna Plumley All Stars.

Hotrod3157
2/8/2010, 12:35 PM
Just heard about this. Every time the bball season shows signs of turning around something else goes wrong. Guess we'll have to wait and hear how many games they have to sit out.

oudavid1
2/8/2010, 12:39 PM
I hope its not bad enough to kick them off the team, but Capel has to do whats right

Boomer.....
2/8/2010, 12:40 PM
Wow. :(

Sooner04
2/8/2010, 12:43 PM
Dumbasses.

stoopified
2/8/2010, 12:44 PM
Two new candidates for the Jenna Plumley All Stars.I was thinking something similar.Are we looking at a couple ofLamar transfers?

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/8/2010, 12:46 PM
I was thinking something similar.Are we looking at a couple ofLamar transfers?

They can get legal advice from DeMarcus "Hey, your coat is awfully baggy..." Granger.

badger
2/8/2010, 12:46 PM

Pledge and Fitz were arrested at Dillards for petty larceny, so it could very well have been makeup that they took. :(

I think petty larceny is for stuff that's less than like $500 or so. Anyone know for sure?

OKLA21FAN
2/8/2010, 01:04 PM
Did they need a coat??? obviously they are not very smart, as they were in the wrong store. :gary:

badger
2/8/2010, 01:28 PM
According to this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100208_92_0_NORMAN478673), they were not actually arrested but only cited. An officer confirmed that what they allegedly tried to take was less than $500. Hmm...

cjames317
2/8/2010, 02:12 PM
I worked there during college days. They always had undercover security wandering around as "shoppers".

I can't believe that was how they celebrated a huge win over the horns????? On Wayman Tisdale Day????

MojoRisen
2/8/2010, 02:42 PM
If I am a 6-9 black guy, no offense - I would be pretty careful about shoplifting - like no-one is staring.

WTF

yermom
2/8/2010, 02:54 PM
and this was in Norman, it's not like anyone might not know who they are anyway

bri
2/8/2010, 03:41 PM
Well, they are basketball players at OU. It was a 50/50 shot on being recognized.

yermom
2/8/2010, 03:46 PM
yeah, but there was two of them :D

sooner59
2/8/2010, 03:49 PM
Good grief...

Red Ada
2/8/2010, 04:06 PM
That's Right ! We can condone it and sweep it under the
rug if it is less than $ 500.00.
You have to let thugs be thugs.
If you punish them, the other High School thugs will
not sign letters to play for you.
I wouldn't!
I took most of my cosmetic's while I was in school.
The clerks looked the other way.
What was wrong with this clerk!
Must have been a Poke!

badger
2/8/2010, 05:20 PM
I just heard that they were stuffing shirts inside a blue plastic bag. I will post a link if I see it online anywhere.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. :(

EDIT: Here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100208_92_0_NORMAN478673) it is:

The Associated Press reported that store security caught Pledger and Fitzgerald concealing shirts in a plastic bag.

yankee
2/8/2010, 06:19 PM
idiots. you get a free education at a great university, and you get to represent that university by playing in a basketball program rich with tradition...and this is what you do? what the hell is wrong with these guys? both their futures are and could be bright...i hope capel comes down on them hard if this turns out to be true. :mad:

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/8/2010, 06:28 PM
You guys do realize these guys don't get paid....right. I remember Eugene Edgerson from Arizona a few years ago saying something like he couldn't even afford to go watch a movie. These guys probably spend at least 40 hours a week devoting their lives to basketball. Throw in school and an extra job becomes more difficult to get. I am just saying they should give these players a little money every month so they can buy some comfort things.

yankee
2/8/2010, 06:31 PM
You guys do realize these guys don't get paid....right. I remember Eugene Edgerson from Arizona a few years ago saying something like he couldn't even afford to go watch a movie. These guys probably spend at least 40 hours a week devoting their lives to basketball. Throw in school and an extra job becomes more difficult to get. I am just saying they should give these players a little money every month so they can buy some comfort things.

there are plenty of "perks" that come along with being a scholarship athlete that we don't know about...

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/8/2010, 06:33 PM
If you think our basketball players are getting "perks" after all the trouble they have had with the NCAA, then that would make the program really stupid.

badger
2/8/2010, 06:34 PM
Gandalf - I think the university has deals with local companies that allows them to have a job in the summer and non-practice, non-class hours if the athlete chooses. Obviously BR isn't on that list of places athletes can work anymore, but there are are others in the area that allow them to fulfill all of their obligations as a student and athlete and work for extra money as well.

Plus, most basketball scholarships cover all of necessities for a student, right? While I'm sure that student-athletes would love extra spending money for free, I am strangely reminded of the Merit Scholar that griped about OU's scholarship program my sophomore year one 8 a.m. class morning... Not because it didn't cover all of her tuition. Not because it didn't cover all of her books. Rather, because she had car payments. Our class all laughed at her as she sat there indignantly (and no, it was not an honor's class)

yankee
2/8/2010, 06:37 PM
If you think our basketball players are getting "perks" after all the trouble they have had with the NCAA, then that would make the program really stupid.

doesn't have to be illegal to be a perk...

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/8/2010, 06:52 PM
Yes, they can get summer jobs but I know I go to school and work 40 hours a week, for 12 months, and I don't have money to do ALOT of the things I want to do. Now imagine working 4 months for probably less than 40 hours and see how many things they can afford. It's not easy for anyone but come the fall and spring, their basketball scholarship is basically a full time job.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2010, 07:01 PM

a) you can't work during the season - NCAA rules
b) they get meal money on weekends, no idea how much it is these days. back in the early 90's it was around $20/day for saturday/sunday
c) they have everything paid while they are there, most departments throw $500 at any student that will declare their major and has a decent ACT score.

jdsooner
2/8/2010, 07:02 PM
Dillard's takes a dim view of the "five finger discount." I am sure Capel won't be happy about it either. I trust him to give them the discipline they need. I hope they learn from this and that this doesn't ruin their lives.

I Am Right
2/8/2010, 07:04 PM

LOL

I Am Right
2/8/2010, 07:05 PM

Ever pay for college?

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/8/2010, 07:39 PM
Yes, I have scholarships that pay all of my college. I am not condoning what these fools did. I mean, what the hell were they thinking, wow we just beat texas!!! Let's go steal some sweaters!!!

SteelClip49
2/8/2010, 09:09 PM
Fitzgerald and Pledger sure as hell can't make a defensive stop on the ball...what makes them capable of stealing clothes?

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/8/2010, 09:49 PM
Well to be fair, since they got caught, even their shoplifting skills are below average

tulsaoilerfan
2/8/2010, 11:53 PM
Rough crowd here, but in IMO they should be at least suspended for the rest of the season, if not permanent; i was a very poor college student back in the mid 80's and i not once was tempted to steal to help myself out; stuff like this can not be condoned

John Kochtoston
2/9/2010, 12:02 AM
Athletes are often eligible for Pell Grants, as well. I think those can be worth about $2k, more or less, a semester (though my numbers may be off).

...sooner
2/9/2010, 09:07 AM

they university isnt just going to let them play ball here & not expect them to have to pay for things. They all live in the same apartment complex & they DO get a certian amount of scholarship money to help them out. it ISNT alot but i know for a fact those boys do get SOME money.

cdlbdd
2/9/2010, 09:31 AM
Any word yet on whether they will be playing tonight? I (not surprisingly) couldn't find anything on soonersports about it.

...sooner
2/9/2010, 10:10 AM
Any word yet on whether they will be playing tonight? I (not surprisingly) couldn't find anything on soonersports about it.

kind of wondering the same thing myself. the only thing i saw was that capel said he wasnt commenting yet.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/9/2010, 10:48 AM

They MUST be suspended. It might be the Beau Gerber show tonight. If they haven't done anything else besides this then it might not have to be a lengthy suspension but they need to get the message that this isn't cool.

I once was an athlete on scholarship. Getting a scholarship is getting paid! I didn't feel entitled to steal anything and even if it had been just a few t-shirts I wouldn't have had a second chance.

Let's hope they learn their lesson. I have my concerns though because if someone thinks it is ok to steal they usually think other rules are meant for others and not them.

OU4LIFE
2/9/2010, 04:24 PM
wow.

I gotta tell you, first thing I thought when I heard was 'gone'. They should be gone.

Then I get here and there's rationalization of the event like crazy, people arguing that they are poor college students, and not paid for what they do...

To me it's a simple moral issue. You DO NOT STEAL. Period. You can go party with your friends, drink underage, have all the perks that come from being an athlete at a major university.....like not worrying about how to pay for tuition or books or rent....more or less the whole 'college experience' all on our nickle....just don't do stupid ****, like steal, drive drunk, sell drugs, kill people, etc.

This is not a hard decision IMO. Drop them and let them transfer. There are repercussions for doing the wrong thing. Accept them and move on.

cdlbdd
2/9/2010, 05:10 PM
They should be gone.

and

Drop them and let them transfer.

I might be missing something (if I am, please enlighten me), but they were issued a citation for petty larceny. As far as I know, this is not a sort of conviction or admission of guilt on their part. It seems to me that this is an allegation.

I think it is unfair to both Pledger and Fitzgerald to take away their scholarships (whose value, at least up to this point on this thread, is universally acknowledged as substantial) solely on the basis of an alleged crime.

pappy
2/9/2010, 05:51 PM
crimes are always alleged until proven guilty in court. I say drop them too. They were caught by the mall security guard with stolen clothes hidden in their bags. Send them elsewhere.

cdlbdd
2/9/2010, 06:27 PM
crimes are always alleged until proven guilty in court. I say drop them too. They were caught by the mall security guard with stolen clothes hidden in their bags. Send them elsewhere.

Am I correct to assume that you feel an allegation of a misdemeanor is sufficient grounds for revoking a scholarship?

bringit
2/9/2010, 06:58 PM
stealing is ghetto and they should be dismissed.

cdlbdd
2/9/2010, 07:03 PM
stealing is ghetto and they should be dismissed.

Have they admitted to, or been found guilty of, stealing/theft/petty larceny/anything?

OU_Sooners75
2/10/2010, 04:58 AM

They may not get paid, or have a lot of money. But they are still eligible for grants and loans if they wish to have some spending money.

They also offer on campus jobs. So there is no excuse for this type of behavior.

OU_Sooners75
2/10/2010, 05:09 AM
Am I correct to assume that you feel an allegation of a misdemeanor is sufficient grounds for revoking a scholarship?

Very much so! However, I would not boot them off the team just yet.

Harsh punishment yes, but give these young men a chance to redeem themselves.

If found guilty, they will not even see a jail cell. They will be fined and/or sentenced to community service.

Hell, if I was the judge in the case...I would suspend a fine and/or community service on one condition. That they each turn into me a research paper of about 5-10 pages of what stealing costs.

Stealing costs the stores, taxpayers, and even the thieves money...even though it cost nothing when the crime occurred.

If they failed to do this, then I would fine and then sentence them to community service.

OU4LIFE
2/10/2010, 08:30 AM
I might be missing something (if I am, please enlighten me), but they were issued a citation for petty larceny. As far as I know, this is not a sort of conviction or admission of guilt on their part. It seems to me that this is an allegation.

I think it is unfair to both Pledger and Fitzgerald to take away their scholarships (whose value, at least up to this point on this thread, is universally acknowledged as substantial) solely on the basis of an alleged crime.

Of course I'm not advocating punishment based on allegations. That's just silly. But it appears they were caught trying to steal. Attempting to willfully break the law. So if this goes to court and they are found guilty, then I have zero problem with them being released from their scholarship.

I don't think people realize how much of a privilege a scholarship is...there's a lot of kids out there 'doing it right' that deserve it more than these two who apparently have a little problem even knowing what's right.

cjames317
2/10/2010, 01:38 PM
Has something like this EVER happened at Duke or Carolina? Here's hoping Capel seeks some wisdom from his old coach.

badger
2/10/2010, 01:46 PM
My guess is that Capel makes them pay whatever the shirts were worth and run about 50 miles in suicides after sitting on the bench a few games in street clothes... and I would be fine with that, so long as they don't become repeat offenders.

Shoplifting is wrong, yet. So long as they pay for their mistake, let them come back... just not until they've been punished.

John Kochtoston
2/10/2010, 02:23 PM

Yes, by all means, let's boot them based on the word of a mall cop. :rolleyes:

SpiderInMyPeanuts
2/10/2010, 02:44 PM
Call me crazy but I hope they can stay on the team.

MojoRisen
2/10/2010, 03:22 PM
The repeat offender thing makes sense- there is a moral issue with what they did - but punishent should fit the crime. Hopefully they can learn from this and a stern punishment would be welcomed. However I would like to see if they learned anything at all- they are kids.

I am sure they are lectured on this to the inth degree, how to manage their profiles etc etc. Kicking them off the team seems a bit harsh if you ask me, but it is what it is...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/10/2010, 11:28 PM
Has something like this EVER happened at Duke or Carolina? Here's hoping Capel seeks some wisdom from his old coach.

I don't think anybody ever stole from Genghis Khan either.

Actually I don't really have a point. Just pretty sure the Mongols didn't have problems with shoplifting.

the_ouskull
2/11/2010, 02:28 PM
No. Just walls.

the_ouskull

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2010, 02:47 PM

I remember Reggie Love passing out at a North Carolina party and getting a pretty epic shaming.

badger
2/11/2010, 05:33 PM
Rumor has it that they may be back Saturday.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100211_92_0_NORMAN618807)

Eielson
2/11/2010, 10:08 PM
Does anybody wish we had kicked Broyles off the football team?

John Kochtoston
2/12/2010, 02:36 AM
Does anybody wish we had kicked Broyles off the football team?

Stanford's defensive coordinator.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/12/2010, 11:00 AM

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100211_92_0_NORMAN618807)

In a related story. On that homeowners finance story at the bottom right hand corner of that link I think we found the offspring of D.B. Cooper and Bigfoot.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/12/2010, 11:01 AM

In a related story. On that homeowners finance story at the bottom right hand corner of that link I think we found the offspring of D.B. Cooper and Bigfoot.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/12/2010, 11:03 AM

On the right hand side of that page linked we have found the apparent spawn of D.B. Cooper and Bigfoot.