PDA

View Full Version : We have Kenny Stills, who else is going to play WR for OU?

MojoRisen
2/8/2010, 11:23 AM
Of all these recruits who do you think has the most upside at Wideout - clearly Mccay but - knowing venables and his talent at LB makes you wonder if he will play offense? Maybe all these guys play defense? Your thoughts

Trey Franks
ATH 5-9 172 4.4 5.6 Orange, TX
Sheldon McClain
WR 6-2 174 4.48 5.6 Cibolo, TX
Julian Wilson
ATH 6-2 172 4.4 5.6 Moore, OK
Joe Powell
ATH 5-11 174 4.49 5.7 Dallas, TX
Justin McCay
ATH 6-3 197 4.5 6.0 Shawnee, KS

setem
2/8/2010, 12:22 PM
I really think Stills and McCay will be the next stars at wideout for us. If Cameron Kenny and Adron can get it together this spring and summer we should have a ridiculous stable of receivers! We all know DeJuan has the ability to be a great one so we are gonna need some guys to step in and play with the intensity of a Broyles.

Starters

WR - Miller
WR - Stills
Slot - Broyles
TE - Hanna or Haywood or Ratterree or Ikard
Five Wide- Reynolds

Madu needs to play somewhere and often but they stopped for some reason so put him in there. Was he in the doghouse this year?

Kenny, McCay, Tennell, Caleb and maybe another frosh will play if needed. If they pan out that is a scary good lineup!

It would be nice for Haywood and Millard to become the next Gresham/Eldridge combo and that very well could happen!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2010, 12:30 PM
i think your next superstar (ie clayton/iglesias/broyles type) is going to be joe powell. its just hard for the deep threat guys to be monsters in this offense.

setem
2/8/2010, 12:42 PM
i think your next superstar (ie clayton/iglesias/broyles type) is going to be joe powell. its just hard for the deep threat guys to be monsters in this offense.

Even with Sam back there we really have not used the long bomb as part of our arsenal so you are right there. I am not saying it was not there because we have used it. Manny had some nice deep catches but we have not had a real sprinter in a few years. It has been a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offense and with Sam able to make the reads as fast as he does it worked almost to perfection while he was back there.

Does Powell have the elusive abilities that Clayton and Broyles had/have? As long as we find the edge and extra step I will be happy. It would be nice to see the deep threat come back though.

Widescreen
2/8/2010, 01:13 PM
Kenny, McCay, Tennell, Caleb and maybe another frosh will play if needed. If they pan out that is a scary good lineup!

Tennell has no more eligibility left.

goingoneight
2/8/2010, 01:40 PM
Miller, Caleb
Broyles, Madu
Reynolds, Kenney

... when these other cats prove their worth, they'll make the two-deep.

setem
2/8/2010, 01:42 PM
Tennell has no more eligibility left.

I did not know that...maybe a thanks your jebus is in order!

fwsooner22
2/8/2010, 01:46 PM
Tennell. Imagine using all your eligibility and your play by play guy still cannot pronounce your name.

IronHorseSooner
2/8/2010, 02:10 PM
Julian Wilson
ATH 6-2 172 4.4 5.6 Moore, OK

I think Wilson will be a DB. I could see he and Colvin being like Franks and Jackson. Colvin would take the field side and match up against the opponent's speed receiver, and Wilson would play boundary and match up against a team's bigger receiver.

MojoRisen
2/8/2010, 02:17 PM
Mclain blew his knee out last year, will be interesting to see if he recovers.

I think Trey Franks will play corner as well - maybe slot.

I hope Stills can get on the field and provide some threat - I don't see Mccay beating out Miller or Caleb this year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2010, 02:31 PM
Even with Sam back there we really have not used the long bomb as part of our arsenal so you are right there. I am not saying it was not there because we have used it. Manny had some nice deep catches but we have not had a real sprinter in a few years. It has been a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offense and with Sam able to make the reads as fast as he does it worked almost to perfection while he was back there.

Does Powell have the elusive abilities that Clayton and Broyles had/have? As long as we find the edge and extra step I will be happy. It would be nice to see the deep threat come back though.

did you hear BJW's recruiting story of him? eerily similar to mark clayton.

dallas skyline had quite a few D1 players this year (we got 2 - powell and nelson). one of them was this guy (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Mike-Davis-84543) who was on every national list. we offered him because well, that is what we do (we normally offer 110 a year to get 25, compared with texas who offers like 35 to get 25). when BJW went down there he was looking at film and was like-> wow that was a nice play, was that superstar? nope. powell. another play. wow, was that superstar? nope. powell.

so BJW gave him an offer and walked away. the other guy was offered, but we didn't go after him very hard because they felt like powell was the better playmaker.

now, was BJW right? only time will tell. however, i like our chances.

setem
2/8/2010, 02:37 PM

dallas skyline had quite a few D1 players this year (we got 2 - powell and nelson). one of them was this guy (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Mike-Davis-84543) who was on every national list. we offered him because well, that is what we do (we normally offer 110 a year to get 25, compared with texas who offers like 35 to get 25). when BJW went down there he was looking at film and was like-> wow that was a nice play, was that superstar? nope. powell. another play. wow, was that superstar? nope. powell.

so BJW gave him an offer and walked away. the other guy was offered, but we didn't go after him very hard because they felt like powell was the better playmaker.

That sounds like the kind of guy we need. I really hope these guys shine at OU and help Landry and Blake!

Tigeman
2/8/2010, 03:11 PM
didn't mean to post here

MojoRisen
2/8/2010, 03:14 PM
We should have one left! I say snag him! 6-3 190 4.4

Here are his other offers Prior to wanting to get out of his LOI -

Tennessee Low Offered 12/4/2009 Jim Chaney
Alabama None Offered None
Arizona None Offered None
Florida None Offered None

LSU None Offered None

47straight
2/8/2010, 09:20 PM

Thats a heckuva program to have one receiver go to OU and another to Texas.

Tigeman
2/8/2010, 09:25 PM
Skyline was loaded, and they are for 2011 as well.

KiiDSooNER
2/8/2010, 10:05 PM

Lets just hope Powell & Nelson can help recruit for us for the next couple seasons.

Rocko
2/8/2010, 11:23 PM
I'm going to see that Mike Davis kid play my high school team in basketball tomorrow night. You bet I'll give him hell :)

westcoast_sooner
2/9/2010, 12:22 AM
Went over and looked at the highlights of Powell. Thought maybe he was simply open, making those plays because defenses were doubling or rotating to superstar's side. But that wasn't the case at all. Powell just makes plays.

Collier11
2/9/2010, 01:59 AM
Mccay will end up being a stud IMO

gaylordfan1
2/9/2010, 09:35 AM
Miller, Caleb
Broyles, Madu
Reynolds, Kenney

... when these other cats prove their worth, they'll make the two-deep.

^agreed. I see stills maybe panning out more the the others just because he will be around our offense longer. Out of all of them I'm looking forward to seeing McCay. Only reps will prepare him... hence Miller!

oudavid1
2/9/2010, 11:55 AM
Jaz Reynolds will compliment Ryan Broyles this year, Ryan won't have the season he had this year because we should be able to spread it around more and get OUr great OLineman class to run block down hill like there hairs on fire

rawlingsHOH
2/10/2010, 09:52 AM

I saw where Texas was usually around 50% (offer/sign ratio), and they were by far the best in the nation. They have a pretty ideal situation. The only elite program in the biggest state. And they generally only offer the in-state kids. So very few rejections. Most of the guys that turn them down are the big national recruits.

freshchris05
2/10/2010, 10:12 AM
I saw where Texas was usually around 50% (offer/sign ratio), and they were by far the best in the nation. They have a pretty ideal situation. The only elite program in the biggest state. And they generally only offer the in-state kids. So very few rejections. Most of the guys that turn them down are the big national recruits.

and the top in-state RB recruits... heh :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/10/2010, 10:29 AM

well, that is a change for them even going after those big national recruits (i haven't tracked it for 4 or so years). there was one year (2002 i think) where texas was like 22 out of 26 offers - all but 5 inside of texas (1 co, 2 la, 1 ok, 1 arizona).

TopDawg
2/10/2010, 10:35 AM
The only elite program in the biggest state.

Sarah Palin would not be happy with you.

;)

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2010, 10:21 PM
Sarah Palin would not be happy with you.

;)

Yep, she jotted your name down on her palm - watch your back.

sooner518
2/10/2010, 10:42 PM

I thought I read an interview with Mack that said they offered 30 this year and got 25.

with the whole "Texas is the best state ever and we are gonna let everyone know about it" brainwashing that happens in this state from an early age, recruiting for UT has got to be the easiest job in the world.

Curly Bill
2/11/2010, 12:07 AM
Texas' percentage of getting kids they offer is an overblown stat. Their secret is they don't "offer" a kid until he has pretty much pledged he'll commit. That way it looks like Texas gets almost every kid they offer, which I guess in a sense they do.

It's a tricked up way for them to be able to claim they don't lose many recruiting battles, if they don't think they can win they just sit it out.

Collier11
2/11/2010, 01:02 AM
^ This

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/11/2010, 02:50 AM
ef the cows, and their so-so coaches.

TopDawg
2/11/2010, 10:10 AM
if they don't think they can win they just sit it out.

In recruiting jargon, we call that "Taking a knee."

47straight
2/11/2010, 02:29 PM
Texas' percentage of getting kids they offer is an overblown stat. Their secret is they don't "offer" a kid until he has pretty much pledged he'll commit. That way it looks like Texas gets almost every kid they offer, which I guess in a sense they do.

It's a tricked up way for them to be able to claim they don't lose many recruiting battles, if they don't think they can win they just sit it out.

This ^

Soonermagik
2/14/2010, 12:55 AM
IMHO, Stills is going to be a starter next year. The guy needs to put on weight, but looks to be legit.

He's getting an earlier start and that will help him with routes, knowing the offense, type of speed and db play he will face.

Miller, Broyles and Stills would give us a real shot at another high powered air attack. We just need Jones to settle down and play smarter or our receivers don't mean jack. We could have Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Larry Fitzgerald, but if he can't get it there or to throws to the wrong team it won't matter. :)

freshchris05
2/14/2010, 01:17 AM
IMHO, Stills is going to be a starter next year. The guy needs to put on weight, but looks to be legit.

He's getting an earlier start and that will help him with routes, knowing the offense, type of speed and db play he will face.

Miller, Broyles and Stills would give us a real shot at another high powered air attack. We just need Jones to settle down and play smarter or our receivers don't mean jack. We could have Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Larry Fitzgerald, but if he can't get it there or to throws to the wrong team it won't matter. :)

or stare down one receiver, he's pretty champ at doing that heh

Collier11
2/14/2010, 03:29 AM
U R Dumb

okienole3
2/14/2010, 10:43 AM

I've heard that their sophomore class is loaded as well. Even more so that this year and next year's class.

soonerguild
2/14/2010, 02:09 PM
couldn't have a thread without some landry bashing could we.

TahoeSOONER
2/14/2010, 02:33 PM
Landry will be a good one when it's all said and done IMHO. Let's not forget he had Olineman driven 5 yards into the backfield more than half the time last year.

Soonermagik
2/14/2010, 03:13 PM
couldn't have a thread without some landry bashing could we.

That's not bashing lol. I'm just being honest about his play. I realize it was his first year and I expect him to improve.

However, receivers, O-line, etc.. don't matter unless he gets better. He will control where this OU team goes next year. I'm a football realist, not some crazy homer fan who can't take off the glasses.

Jones just has to work on limiting picks, staring down receivers, looking for the check down, getting rid of the ball quicker and so on.

freshchris05
2/15/2010, 09:54 AM
For the record I fully support Landry Jones as our QB, I know he's still young. But I know for damn sure that he needs to get a hell of alot better at going through his reads and looking off safeties. I know it comes with time but its the offseason, it's either light hearted jokes as such, or voting for your favorite jerseys, helmets, moments, non-OU players...

I intend to do a little both

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/15/2010, 01:59 PM
That's not bashing lol. I'm just being honest about his play. I realize it was his first year and I expect him to improve.

However, receivers, O-line, etc.. don't matter unless he gets better. He will control where this OU team goes next year. I'm a football realist, not some crazy homer fan who can't take off the glasses.

Jones just has to work on limiting picks, staring down receivers, looking for the check down, getting rid of the ball quicker and so on.

you mean the same stuff bradford had to do after his freshman year?

i remember a play against miami where sam threw late, over the middle, into quadruple coverage...and still completed it. how many QBs can get away with that crap?

most QBs stare down receivers their first year. its why having a brand new QB is considered a negative for any college team.

Collier11
2/15/2010, 02:14 PM
I very distinctly remember some of you griping about Sam staring down receivers and not going through his progressions as a freshman, then look what happened

freshchris05
2/15/2010, 04:13 PM
i trust josh heupel

Soonermagik
2/15/2010, 10:34 PM
you mean the same stuff bradford had to do after his freshman year?

i remember a play against miami where sam threw late, over the middle, into quadruple coverage...and still completed it. how many QBs can get away with that crap?

most QBs stare down receivers their first year. its why having a brand new QB is considered a negative for any college team.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying; I am not looking for perfection, just hoping to see positive progress. Jones only has to manage games and make the smart plays and this team can do big things.

I'm expecting to see big things from him and I hope he can really mature this off-season. Make no mistake about it, Jones controls the future of where this team goes in 2010.

rawlingsHOH
2/15/2010, 11:37 PM
Bradford had a very strong tendency to lock on to Malcolm Kelly, especially on the slant routes, in 07.

He developed! So will LJ