PDA

View Full Version : Hartley for MVP

salth2o
2/7/2010, 08:51 PM
If the Saints win...it's a no brainer.

mightysooner
2/7/2010, 08:53 PM
He seems to be their main weapon at the moment. Go Garrett!

His kicks don't even waiver. Just straight down the center on a line every time.

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 09:18 PM
I don't really have a vested interest in who wins tonight. It is cool to see Garrett getting his due as an NFL Superstar Kicker.

ArkanSooner
2/7/2010, 09:18 PM
Boomer!

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 09:26 PM
Sooner!

ndpruitt03
2/7/2010, 09:32 PM
The first 3 Stoops players ever are about to get rings.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2010, 09:49 PM
The first 3 Stoops players ever are about to get rings.
:confused:

WTH are you talking about, "the first 3 Stoops players ever are about to get rings?"

ndpruitt03
2/7/2010, 09:50 PM
No ex Stoops Sooners have rings until now.

spatton713
2/7/2010, 09:50 PM
If the Saints win...it's a no brainer.

the DB who pick 6 manning should b MVP

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2010, 09:51 PM
No ex Stoops Sooners have rings until now.

Then you should actually word it that way.

You made it sound as if the first three Sooners to ever play (or sign) for Stoops now have SB Rings.

At least that was how it read to me.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2010, 09:52 PM
the DB who pick 6 manning should b MVP

Breaking a record vs. a routine defensive play.

Yeah, I think the routine should win. :rolleyes:

freshchris05
2/7/2010, 09:53 PM
i like hartley for mvp as much as the mext guy but....

since when is a pick 6 routine?

spatton713
2/7/2010, 09:55 PM
Breaking a record vs. a routine defensive play.

Yeah, I think the routine should win. :rolleyes:

lol most cases record breakers are good
but damn...pick 6 on manning in the late 4th quarter of a superbowl

ndpruitt03
2/7/2010, 09:55 PM
It'll be Brees. 2 TDs 2 point conv and the game winning TD. Also tied a record for most completions in a SB.

TXBOOMER
2/7/2010, 09:56 PM
Get real. If it was 9 - 6 maybe. They win by focking 14. the FG kicker isn't getting MVP.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2010, 09:58 PM
i like hartley for mvp as much as the mext guy but....

since when is a pick 6 routine?

Considering it has happened more than once in the Super Bowl...yeah, I would call it routine.

When was the last time a person kicked 3 40+ yard field goals in the Super Bowl?

Hell, when was the last time that happened in the regular season or playoffs compared to the last time a pick 6 occurred.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2010, 10:02 PM
Get real. If it was 9 - 6 maybe. They win by focking 14. the FG kicker isn't getting MVP.

I doubt he gets it (not watching post game), but most of the time record breakers tend to get the MVP in the Super Bowl.

Brees deserves it more IMO.

freshchris05
2/7/2010, 10:04 PM
haha... i said mext guy...

I get what you're sayin '75, its very homerish but i get it...

hartley has been money these last two outings. but there is nothing routine about defensive guys scoring points. especially in the 4th against the league mvp...

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 10:05 PM
Yep. Breeze is MVP

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2010, 10:13 PM
haha... i said mext guy...

I get what you're sayin '75, its very homerish but i get it...

hartley has been money these last two outings. but there is nothing routine about defensive guys scoring points. especially in the 4th against the league mvp...

It happens a lot more than a kicker kicking 3 40+ yard field goals in any game...let alone the Super Bowl.

My choice of words may have been a little off base, but it does happen a lot more than the above mentioned.

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 10:25 PM
Larry Brown (a defensive guy-Free Safety I believe) won MVP for the Cowboys once...so it's not always a given that a FG Kicker might not ever win an MVP. IMO it's probably more possible that a FG Kicker might win an MVP over any Defensive Player. It's scoring points...especially points that led to a win that get that honor.

Tonight Breeze had a better game than Manning and deserved the MVP. Hartley should get Honorable Mention IMO.

bigxii
2/7/2010, 10:44 PM
He might not have won MVP, but I think he ended up the leading scorer. :)

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/7/2010, 10:45 PM
Cornerback. And that dude intercepted two passes and returned them 30+ yards to inside the Steelers' 20, a performance he used as a bargaining chip for a lucrative free agent deal with Oakland, only to eventually fade into obscurity.

sooner59
2/7/2010, 10:57 PM
For the record, that catch for the 2 point conversion was amazing. The guy caught it low and outside, twisted around as he was falling to break the plane, hit the ground and bobbled it, then gained back possession before the defender touched him and knocked the ball out. THAT is concentration.

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 11:38 PM
to eventually fade into obscurity.

Until he ended up back at the Cowboys....when he really faded into obscurity....lol

Someone knows how to really Wiki. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Brown_(cornerback)

VA Sooner
2/7/2010, 11:41 PM
Hartley held the team up until the offense could get its groove back.

He should be MVP in my book.

And maybe... Brees. Maybe....

Leroy Lizard
2/8/2010, 12:44 AM
In a low-scoring affair where the placekicker kicks a game-winner, maybe. Or, if he had kicked 5 field goals. But other than that, no way. Three field goals in a game is not unusual. And it ignores the contributions of the other teammates in getting the team in scoring position.

cvsooner
2/8/2010, 02:23 AM
And the onside kick...don't forget that.

ndpruitt03
2/8/2010, 02:32 AM

That was the punter. 6 was in instead of Hartley.

kevpks
2/8/2010, 08:55 AM
While you guys were debating this last night, I was voting for Hartley at NFL.com again and again and again.

TXBOOMER
2/8/2010, 09:09 AM
I doubt he gets it (not watching post game), but most of the time record breakers tend to get the MVP in the Super Bowl.

Brees deserves it more IMO.

I don't think a FG kicker has ever got MVP. 9 - 6 with a game winner maybe. Otherwise, no way.

TXBOOMER
2/8/2010, 09:10 AM

Hartley didn't kick the on-side kick.

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/8/2010, 09:12 AM
Hartley didn't kick the on-side kick.

Nope. I actually had to call the Associated Press this morning and correct them on that little detail.

Who Dat made dat onside kick? Poor Thomas Morstead.

StoopTroup
2/8/2010, 09:14 AM
Is the AP sending you a check for editing?

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/8/2010, 09:17 AM
Is the AP sending you a check for editing?

Nah, but when I catch stuff like that (which happens A LOT more than it should), after I fix it for my own newscast, if it's a big enough deal, I'll call them to let them know. They're usually pretty appreciative...even at 5:30 a.m.

StoopTroup
2/8/2010, 09:24 AM
Ask for money. Tell them you should maybe be editor. Don't sell yourself short. :D ;)

Crucifax Autumn
2/8/2010, 09:53 AM
He might not have won MVP, but I think he ended up the leading scorer. :)

No, "Leading Scorer" was my college nickname! :D

cvsooner
2/8/2010, 01:05 PM
That was the punter. 6 was in instead of Hartley.

Oops. My bad. I saw it in a very noisy sports bar and I missed the number. I assumed it was Hartley.

TUSooner
2/8/2010, 04:50 PM
MVP? nah, but he was terrific. He kept the Saints within reach with those three kicks that were not easy. If he misses any one of them, we might be OD'ing on "Peyton Manning Superstar" today (not that he isn't superstar, but...well, you know....)

BoulderSooner79
2/8/2010, 06:03 PM
I was bummed the Colts didn't tie the game on that last real series. A SB going into OT would have been cool. But I don't think that would have happened. The way the Saints were passing against the Colt's defense, they would have easily moved the ball downfield with the remaining time and BINGO - Hartley kicks another 40+ yarder as time expires. 27-24 Saints and Hartley has 4 long FGs, including the game winner. Serious MVP consideration. :)

GottaHavePride
2/8/2010, 06:10 PM
I mean, if you pull an Uwe in the Superbowl then yeah, give the kicker MVP. But otherwise, probably not. Unless kicking was your only points of the night.

LA.SoonerFan
2/8/2010, 11:30 PM
Well, he won me $75 on the boards with his 2nd field goal. I liked him before he was a Saint, and now I like him even more.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/10/2010, 11:04 AM
What a postseason for Hartley. 5 for 5, kicks his team into the SB and does something that no other kicker has done in the SB.

Quite a contrast from how the season started for him. He looked terrible in the preseason and when he got that 4 game suspension for taking caffeine pills or whatever, I thought they would cut him. Another smart move by Payton for sticking with him. He was money when it counted.

TUSooner
2/10/2010, 12:54 PM
Here is Hartley at the end of the victory parade last night. I screamed "Boomer Sooner" at him for a full minute without getting his attention. He was having a swell old time, chatting on the mike and whatnot. It was cold and windy, but he seemed well winterized with alcohol.

By the way, the kickers' float was a giant shoe, borrowed from the women's krewe of Muses.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4107/garretthartley.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/garretthartley.jpg/)

Traffic was AWFUL but I never looked at my watch, and I had a blast. Drank 6 pints of beer in the streets and finished the night off by sharing a few dozen oysters (raw, char-grilled, and en brochette) with some friends. (It almost took the sting out of my daughter's cruel and unlucky soccer playoff loss that ended her season and her HS career earlier that afternoon :( )

TUSooner
2/10/2010, 01:00 PM
see the other thread