PDA

View Full Version : A&E ''Hoarders''

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 04:36 PM
Anyone been watching this show?

Anyone know someone that has this kind of problem?

Some of these folks have lost some really cool stuff because of their addiction to saving junk.

Craziness.

royalfan5
2/7/2010, 04:40 PM
My Grandma had to be a borderline horder. We found all sorts of crazy **** when we cleaned out her house.

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 04:59 PM
The ones that get me are the ones that have kids and their kids are on meds/inhalers and respirators because of the clutter, dust and mold.

olevetonahill
2/7/2010, 05:16 PM
I tend to throw **** away about every 10 years or after every divorce :D

But just as soon as I do I need sompun I tossed.:mad:

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 05:17 PM

Yeah...I've had that happen. Even gone out to the garage looking for something and then it hits me....I threw it out a week ago....lol

olevetonahill
2/7/2010, 05:52 PM
Hell I have Canned stuff in my Cabinets, Ive tossed some away . Seems the cans go to swellin up :D

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 05:57 PM
Having to throw out snuff must be really tough. That snuff ain't cheap anymore.

Chuck Bao
2/7/2010, 06:12 PM
I have a tendency to hoard food and medicine. It is a pretty sad thing when I look at the expiration date and see that it was 2003. I eat it anyone and just hope that they were really, really off on that expiration date.

SunnySooner
2/7/2010, 06:14 PM
That show sucks me in every time I stumble across it, it's just fascinating to me. I feel sorry for the people, it's obviously some sort of awful mental illness, and it takes a lot more than just hauling all the crap away to get them straightened out.

fadada1
2/7/2010, 10:18 PM
my uncle is a hoarder. haven't been in his house in about 5 years. last time i was there, i had to follow the "paths" around the house. he's a bit of a hermit, but as gentle as they come, and reads a TON. can go through about 2 books in a day. the number of books in that house HAVE to outweigh the house itself. if it ever catches fire, it'll burn for weeks and be visible from space. gonna be a BIG project when the house needs to be vacated.

SoonerBorn
2/7/2010, 11:24 PM
We've been watching it some. I knew someone who was a hoarder - two houses full of stuff in addition to a barn full of stuff. We have a relative now who's not near as bad, but I certainly don't look forward to clearing that house someday.

SoonerAtKU
2/8/2010, 04:15 PM
My wife and I watch it and have fears that we could end up that way. But it's really a motivator to clean up and throw away things we don't need/use. A couple of weeks ago we bought a new desk. It had a computer cabinet with a door and solid backing. I left those parts out since I wanted my computer to have some sort of air circulation. Instead of keeping the extra parts, we threw them away as to avoid hoarding for no reason.

Enriching lives. Thanks, Television.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2010, 04:20 PM
My mother was one.....from what I learned after seeing her, she became that way after losing custody of my brother and me

SoonerAtKU
2/8/2010, 04:41 PM
From what we see of the show/know of people who have this condition, it seems like people are somewhat predisposed to it, then there is some sort of trauma event or period that kicks it into high gear.

sooner59
2/8/2010, 06:39 PM
I watched that show as well. It was crazy. I have known people who have those tendencies, but not at that level. My parents do this a little, but its not all that bad. The people on that show seem like they possibly have OCD.

OUMallen
2/8/2010, 06:44 PM
I dated a girl whose mother was a hoarder. I went over there for the first time and there were big stacks (4-8) of newspapers and magazines in the living room, just stuff all over the kitchen counters, and I wasn't allowed to go in any other rooms.

sooner59
2/8/2010, 06:50 PM
That would probably creep me out a little.

ouleaf
1/4/2011, 10:16 AM
Did anybody watch the new episode last night with the two animal hoarders? Holy wow!!! Talk about really, really extreme psychological and social disorders. Absolutely unbelievable.

okie52
1/4/2011, 10:25 AM
One of my customers was on "hoarders". Truly some mental issues there.

My Opinion Matters
1/4/2011, 10:27 AM
I hate to say it, but my sister is one. She was coming home with a different guy every night growing up.

Aldebaran
1/4/2011, 10:42 AM
My aunt and uncle in Kansas (Kansas, always Kansas) coupled their hoarding with a fear of a nuclear apocolypse. They would have been excellent candidates for the show. If the food was still edible, I'm pretty sure a generation could have survived the aftermath of a missile exchange with the Soviets off of what was in their basement. Whacky, whacky stuff down there.

SunnySooner
1/4/2011, 10:42 AM
I think one of my relatives is borderline. He grew up dirt poor, one of 13 or 14 kids, and they just had nothing. Now, he has a horrible time throwing things away. I think it stems back to the poverty--now that he finally has nice stuff, he wants to keep all of it forever.

It is a weird condition, the brain does weird stuff sometimes.

OhU1
1/4/2011, 11:03 AM
The ultimate show for me was the 60 year old lady who lived with no electricity or plumbing for 2 years. What did she do when nature called? Used Depends of course. Where did the depends go? Into a 6 foot pile in the hall way.

The women had a lack of feeling in her feet due to diabetes or something, rats had snacked on them a little. What else snacked on her feet? - the germs created by the festering compost heap of **** and feces in the hall way.

The lady had permanent nerve damage to her feet. When they cleaned the house up they found the **** from the diapers had ate a hole through the bottom of the house. The house had to be condemned.

Aldebaran
1/4/2011, 11:05 AM
So she was literally living in a **** hole?

3rdgensooner
1/4/2011, 11:10 AM
Ack!

Mississippi Sooner
1/4/2011, 11:20 AM
I hate to say it, but my sister is one. She was coming home with a different guy every night growing up.

But did she have stacks of them all over the house?

My Opinion Matters
1/4/2011, 11:22 AM
The ultimate show for me was the 60 year old lady who lived with no electricity or plumbing for 2 years. What did she do when nature called? Used Depends of course. Where did the depends go? Into a 6 foot pile in the hall way.

The women had a lack of feeling in her feet due to diabetes or something, rats had snacked on them a little. What else snacked on her feet? - the germs created by the festering compost heap of **** and feces in the hall way.

The lady had permanent nerve damage to her feet. When they cleaned the house up they found the **** from the diapers had ate a hole through the bottom of the house. The house had to be condemned.

http://i52.tinypic.com/10s55bo.jpg

Aldebaran
1/4/2011, 11:23 AM
In her defense. I'm pretty sure they put crack cocaine in the ice cream at disney world.

My Opinion Matters
1/4/2011, 11:23 AM
But did she have stacks of them all over the house?

Probably.

dwarthog
1/4/2011, 11:39 AM

You too huh.. That is what my divorce cycles run, 10 years.... :D

Nothing says "I don't need this **** any more" than having to box the crap up, lift up the box and move the SOB.

Great way to get down to what you really need/care about the most with regards to "stuff".

soonerbrat
1/4/2011, 12:39 PM
My grandma was about a level 3 hoarder. Maybe between a 2 and 3. She didn't have any non-working appliances, but her room was so full there was just a small path to her bed and bathroom, and the extra bedrooms were full. Kitchen table was full, kitchen counters were full and living room about half full. the only place for her to sleep was on her couch. A lot of her stuff was crafting material that she kept saying she was going to use. She also had tons of pictures and other items.

I watch the show regularly.

Soonerntxs
1/4/2011, 01:02 PM
I had a call back when I worked the streets to check the well-being of an individuals mom & dad. Once I got to the house, I just knew they were DRT (Dead Right There); so, I looked in a window and just about shat down my leg....this little old guy was peeping back at me. The house was so bad that I threw up in the floor as I was walking through. (I was trying to hold it, but I just spewed) They had no water, or electric for 3+ years and had been collecting their poop in the bath tubs and buckets. The freezers and refrigerators were full of maggots. There was rodent poop 4-5 inches deep everywhere there was not a pile and I found several dead carcuses (dogs, cats, & rats). When I got sick, they tried to hand me a bucket with poop in it & it just made matters worse. I called the children and told them of the situation and asked if they would come and assist; I was quickly told NO and advised that they just wanted to see if they were still breathing....My next call was to protective services and it took 6 months to get the couple help (this was in 1992). I would drop by a bag of canned food from time to time, up until I went on to another department and paid the kid next door to cut their grass in the summers but there was not much I could do for them. I still think of them when I watch this show and NOW realize that this is a mental disorder that affects 3+million people. Over the past 19 years I have seen this kind of disorder twice and it still puzzles me.

2121Sooner
1/4/2011, 01:35 PM
They should do a show combining "Hoarders" with "American Pickers" and see who is the first to give up when it comes to the negotiation for stuff.......

OhU1
1/4/2011, 02:21 PM
They should do a show combining "Hoarders" with "American Pickers" and see who is the first to give up when it comes to the negotiation for stuff.......

Didn't Chase Daniel join the cast of American Pickers?

2121Sooner
1/4/2011, 02:23 PM
Well done.......well done indeed

Aldebaran
1/4/2011, 02:28 PM
http://onsports.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/2chase_daniel_checkmate.jpg

Soonerwake
1/4/2011, 02:53 PM
I have decided that some of those people are truly hoarders (mental), some have something wrong physically that prevents them from cleaning, keeping things orderly, and some are just plain lazy.

You see the people that can't throw things away like books, buidling supplies, tools, etc., and the people that can't stop buying stuff and storing it in their house. That's a hoarder IMO.

The fully capable couple who just choose to not clear crap off their kitchen counter, or sweep the floor, etc., that is flat-out lazy.. And it pisses me off that their kids end up suffering... :mad:

FirstandGoal
1/4/2011, 03:00 PM
This show is really disturbing. There was one episode where the mom had like every toy her kid had and was having a really hard time throwing it out due to sentimental reasons. I sometimes go through this when I look at old pictures of the kids. I get nostalgic about the outfit they wore, or have fond memories of the teddy bear they were holding. Sometimes I get a bit regretful that I really didn't save any of that stuff, but this show is a great example of how that "stuff" consumes your life. I would rather get a pang of regret every now and then that I don't have the first shoes my son took his first step in rather than have that crap bury me alive.

As for the peeps who literally live in their own poop.... man, that's a freaky weirdness that I cannot even begin to imagine. So is the premise that they are such bad hoarders that they have to hold on to their own excrement? :confused:

Tony
1/4/2011, 03:01 PM
I have never watched this show.

Thaumaturge
1/4/2011, 03:13 PM
I liked the one with the woman who had to sleep strapped to a chair so she didn't get buried in her kitchen.

I think she did eventually get buried in her kitchen, though.

Aldebaran
1/4/2011, 03:15 PM
Spoiler Alert!

ouleaf
1/4/2011, 03:22 PM
This show is really disturbing. There was one episode where the mom had like every toy her kid had and was having a really hard time throwing it out due to sentimental reasons. I sometimes go through this when I look at old pictures of the kids. I get nostalgic about the outfit they wore, or have fond memories of the teddy bear they were holding. Sometimes I get a bit regretful that I really didn't save any of that stuff, but this show is a great example of how that "stuff" consumes your life. I would rather get a pang of regret every now and then that I don't have the first shoes my son took his first step in rather than have that crap bury me alive.

As for the peeps who literally live in their own poop.... man, that's a freaky weirdness that I cannot even begin to imagine. So is the premise that they are such bad hoarders that they have to hold on to their own excrement? :confused:

When you get to the people that do not dispose of their feces or animal feces I think that goes to a whole other level besides compulsive hoarding behavior. There are many, many psychological issues going on in those instances. I've seen episodes where the individual seems to be otherwise normal. They go to work and are sociable with other people, but you come home and it's just piles and piles of stuff.

OhU1
1/4/2011, 03:39 PM
When you get to the people that do not dispose of their feces or animal feces I think that goes to a whole other level besides compulsive hoarding behavior. There are many, many psychological issues going on in those instances.

This kind of segues with the Hef topic. Hef hoards women and does not dispose of animal feces, or at least he's willing to live with steaming animal dump on his bedroom carpet until morning.

soonerbrat
1/4/2011, 03:58 PM
I liked the one with the woman who had to sleep strapped to a chair so she didn't get buried in her kitchen.

I think she did eventually get buried in her kitchen, though.

that's the lady that pooped in the depends and threw them 6 feet high in the bathroom!

Thaumaturge
1/4/2011, 04:02 PM
that's the lady that pooped in the depends and threw them 6 feet high in the bathroom!

Then I would like to see a movie based on her life and poop.

Serenity Now
1/4/2011, 04:06 PM
We try to keep an episode or two on the dvr. Great motivator to get some cleaning done.

The
1/4/2011, 04:13 PM
We try to keep an episode or two on the dvr. Great motivator to get some cleaning done.

Meth works better.

saucysoonergal
1/4/2011, 04:22 PM
Meth works better.

I always wondered why you are always scratching and posting pics so fast.

The
1/4/2011, 04:23 PM
I always wondered why you are always scratching and posting pics so fast.

That's the LSD. I use only meth for the comedown.

texaspokieokie
1/4/2011, 04:59 PM
i had an aunt in tulsa that let her house get filled with junk. i think it was as much laziness as being a "hoarder".

my folks hoarded during the war. supposed to be very "un-patriotic".
actually, all they hoarded was cigarettes. both were heavy smokers.
My Mother & my cousin's wife would follow the cigarette truck around on the
day of the week, & buy all they could. they would've panicked if it looked like they were gonna run out.

soonerbrat
1/4/2011, 05:08 PM
i had an aunt in tulsa that let her house get filled with junk. i think it was as much laziness as being a "hoarder".

my folks hoarded during the war. supposed to be very "un-patriotic".
actually, all they hoarded was cigarettes. both were heavy smokers.
My Mother & my cousin's wife would follow the cigarette truck around on the
day of the week, & buy all they could. they would've panicked if it looked like they were gonna run out.

but if they used them, it's kinda different than keeping a bunch of crap around that someone will never use.

texaspokieokie
1/4/2011, 05:27 PM
you're right, & i'm sure they used (smoked) them.

of course,that was 65 yrs ago.

KuppiKunta
1/5/2011, 10:53 AM
My MIL is a borderline hoarder and I think it stems from growing up dirt poor. She just has a really hard time letting anything go. The worst thing that happened is when they bought a house with a basement. Now, the house doesn't look bad, but when you step in the basement, you can't walk. I'm afraid to eat there, because I've looked at expiration dates on some of the food and it'll be 3 years out of date! She has closets full of clothes that still have the tags on them too. It's really a nightmare and I dread the day I have to help them move.

Mississippi Sooner
1/5/2011, 11:02 AM
I saw the preview last night for the next episode. It's a guy who hoards rats. Pretty sure I won't be watching that episode.

soonerbrat
1/5/2011, 11:17 AM
watched the one with the bunnies last night. that guy was an *******, and the lady with all the goats and birds needs to be put out of her misery.