PDA

View Full Version : I can now rest in peace

C&CDean
2/5/2010, 07:29 PM
Yesterday, the 4th of my 5 sons enlisted in the Army National Guard.

I was beginning to worry. I mean pop was a 3-war vet, I'm a vet, and so far, not a single grandkid or great-grandkid of my pop enlisted. We're talking a stand of 11 male enlistment eligible males here. At his swearing in momma said the dude doing the swearing said "less than 1% of the population enlists into the military. Is that true? I mean WTF? Where have our values gone? We've got a bunch of computer nerdies who can only shoot an M-16 if it's on a video game. It really does concern me.

Anyhow, God bless you Luke. I'm prouder than punch.

OUHOMER
2/5/2010, 07:32 PM
Well good for him, i think these young folks can not handle anybody yelling at them, or telling them what to do.

Turd_Ferguson
2/5/2010, 07:33 PM
Good jorb Luke!!

olevetonahill
2/5/2010, 07:41 PM
Grats Dean , Tell him i'm proud of him also.

ouduckhunter
2/5/2010, 07:44 PM
Good for him!! Thanks for your service, and thanks for bringing him up right!!

C&CDean
2/5/2010, 07:49 PM
I'll do it Howie. The boy is chomping at the bit. I tried to convince him to go RA, but they wag a pretty good carrot in front of them for the guard. 2-years of school - without deployment overseas, and if your GPA is high enough, a chance at ROTC after the 2 years. Plus, a $10K bonus. For the guard.

His MOS is gonna be 55M. Equipment Operator. The boy has already run enough tractors/trucks/skid loaders/backhoes/dozers/etc. to be able to teach the ****ing AIT class. What's weird is that he scored high enough on the tests to pretty much choose any MOS. I'm happy he chose one that will always insure work after the military. Did I mention I'm proud of him?

Okla-homey
2/5/2010, 07:59 PM
Good on him. Service to one's country in her armed forces, especially in time of war, is the noblest duty a citizen can perform.

I hope the private gets to operate one of these M-9 Armored Combat Earthmover (ACE) bastages. It can be operated totally buttoned-up, therefore haji can't pick off the operator, and it can dig a hole big enough to put an M-1 in hull defilade in about 15 minutes.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4310/m9acedvic355.jpg

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m9-ace.htm

GKeeper316
2/5/2010, 08:07 PM
Yesterday, the 4th of my 5 sons enlisted in the Army National Guard.

I was beginning to worry. I mean pop was a 3-war vet, I'm a vet, and so far, not a single grandkid or great-grandkid of my pop enlisted. We're talking a stand of 11 male enlistment eligible males here. At his swearing in momma said the dude doing the swearing said "less than 1% of the population enlists into the military. Is that true? I mean WTF? Where have our values gone? We've got a bunch of computer nerdies who can only shoot an M-16 if it's on a video game. It really does concern me.

Anyhow, God bless you Luke. I'm prouder than punch.

good for him... he didnt sack completely up and join the corps., but in this day and age we take what we can get.

and the reason so few choose the military is overprotective parents trying to keep their kids safe above all other concerns.

"for democracy, any man would give his only begotten son" just dont hold true no more.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2010, 08:09 PM
congratulations to him on making that decision..

You have much to be proud of Dean

Okla-homey
2/5/2010, 08:09 PM
and some people have a problem writing Uncle Sam a personal check that states on the amount payable line "Up to and including my life."

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 09:10 PM
I'm sure he's got a sore spot on his back from all the pats, but throw him one more from this knucklehead.

Don't shine too bright, proud daddy.

JLEW1818
2/5/2010, 09:28 PM
Good Stuff!

Collier11
2/5/2010, 09:37 PM
he didnt sack completely up and join the corps., but in this day and age we take what we can get.

you amaze me with your stupidity

AlbqSooner
2/5/2010, 09:38 PM
Congrats Dean. Tell him that between me and vet he has two of the oldest pharts on the board wishing him well.

picasso
2/5/2010, 09:39 PM

You must not know any Marines.

Collier11
2/5/2010, 09:40 PM
Heh

BTW, congrats Dean...you should be very proud

TUSooner
2/5/2010, 10:43 PM
Well done, Luke.

If more people only knew the benefits of a few years of military life...aside from occasionally risking it, I mean. It really puts you on your own 2 feet if you do it right, which a lot of young men and women need more than anything.

Lott's Bandana
2/5/2010, 11:04 PM
Well played.

Soonerus
2/5/2010, 11:18 PM
Congrats Dean, the legacy continues...

StoopTroup
2/5/2010, 11:24 PM
Congrats Dean and WTG Luke.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/6/2010, 01:18 AM
congratulations to him on making that decision..

You have much to be proud of DeanDittos here.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/6/2010, 01:20 AM
Congrats Dean. Tell him that between me and vet he has two of the oldest pharts on the board wishing him well.How old are you, kid?

SunnySooner
2/6/2010, 01:25 AM
Congrats to the new recruit and the proud papa.

I'm thankful for his service.

GKeeper316
2/6/2010, 01:45 AM

you amaze me with your inability to get a joke...

lighten up, princess.

did you serve?

Collier11
2/6/2010, 02:15 AM
yea cus thats really something to joke about, youre a dick

SCOUT
2/6/2010, 02:18 AM
I was going to quote a previous poster and make a snarky comment but decided against it.

I would rather take a more positive approach. Every night, when I go to sleep, I say a prayer to those who keep me and my family safe.

Everyone in this country owes EVERYTHING to those who serve and protect us.

Anyway...Dean, I congratulate you on being an outstanding parent and your son on being an outstanding American.

Thank you both.

SCOUT
2/6/2010, 02:20 AM
I should have typed, every night I say a prayer to those who keep, and have kept.....

An important correction.

GKeeper316
2/6/2010, 02:45 AM

why? because as an ex-marine i think the corps. is the single greatest fighting force the world has ever seen, populated entirely by warrior gods the rest of you should bow down to and that all other military organizations are just over-glorified boy scouts?

see. thats a joke.

you're a tard.

you didnt serve did you? while i was eating ****in sand, gettin shot at, living off an hour of sleep a day, and watching my best friend get blown up you were safe at home enjoying the very freedom i was helping to preserve.

id rather you just said thanks and went about your business.

olevetonahill
2/6/2010, 02:56 AM
why? because as an ex-marine i think the corps. is the single greatest fighting force the world has ever seen, populated entirely by warrior gods the rest of you should bow down to and that all other military organizations are just over-glorified boy scouts?

see. thats a joke.

you're a tard.

you didnt serve did you? while i was eating ****in sand, gettin shot at, living off an hour of sleep a day, and watching my best friend get blown up you were safe at home enjoying the very freedom i was helping to preserve.

Thanks for yer service, When were ya there?

GKeeper316
2/6/2010, 03:00 AM
first gulf war.

olevetonahill
2/6/2010, 03:04 AM
HEH Lets not trash up Deans Grats to his son thread.

Ima start one in the smack Forum Come on if ya got the Balls Jarhead :P :P :D

GKeeper316
2/6/2010, 03:15 AM
HEH Lets not trash up Deans Grats to his son thread.

Ima start one in the smack Forum Come on if ya got the Balls Jarhead :P :P :D

didnt mean to hijack dean's thread. im sure hes much prouder of his son than my dad was when i told him i had joined the marines in the middle of a war...

we're glad for his service, and i hope he has a brilliant career and spends most of his time helping people instead of killing them.

olevetonahill
2/6/2010, 03:24 AM
didnt mean to hijack dean's thread. im sure hes much prouder of his son than my dad was when i told him i had joined the marines in the middle of a war...

we're glad for his service, and i hope he has a brilliant career and spends most of his time helping people instead of killing them.

My Dad was a PTO WW2 Vet, He just shook my hand when I went in in 68.
My Son went in , in 94 kinda peacful time till Klinton sent him into Boznia. I shook HIS hand
Then Bush sent Him into Iraq in the invasion . I bout Broke down then. But I dint let him see it.

olevetonahill
2/6/2010, 03:25 AM

Think Im old enough
If I was yer Dad Id of been Proud as hell of a.
A tad disapointed ya dint Go ARMY tho.:D

GKeeper316
2/6/2010, 03:35 AM
My Dad was a PTO WW2 Vet, He just shook my hand when I went in in 68.
My Son went in , in 94 kinda peacful time till Klinton sent him into Boznia. I shook HIS hand
Then Bush sent Him into Iraq in the invasion . I bout Broke down then. But I dint let him see it.

hell my dad was a fighter pilot in cold war england (air force)

thats what he was upset about. he knew that the likelyhood of me coming home in one piece was fairly low.

every generation of my family on both sides has served. in my family it isnt really an option whether or not you serve, the only option is what branch. my cousin and i were both marines, my brother was in the airforce, my uncle was in the army.

my grandfather wasnt fit for duty so he had to watch all his friends go fight in europe while he stayed at home on the farm with his one good eye (lost his left eye when a tractor fell on him when he was 11 years old), but his brother (my uncle bill... funniest dude that ever lived) was in the navy for ww2,

my mom's dad was in the army in korea... he had 2 daughters tho. but on his side of the family, our military service goes back to the civil war... interesting side note... the house that grant accepted lee's surrender in was owned by my great grandmother's uncle and some of the furniture from that old farmhouse is sitting in my mother's house over off 23rd and may in okc.

Flagstaffsooner
2/6/2010, 08:57 AM
Congrats Dean. Tell him that between me and vet he has two of the oldest pharts on the board wishing him well.
What am I, popcorn pharts?:rolleyes:

I salute you, Luke.

By the way, here's Vet and Albq reliving their military years.;)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_473nrD5vEv8/Su2HbGv6TvI/AAAAAAAACAs/WAc_FQdd3v4/s400/old-soldiers.jpg

picasso
2/6/2010, 09:08 AM

Dude, lighten up. He's a Marine just like my dad.

Crucifax Autumn
2/6/2010, 10:16 AM
If the assorted military branches quit ribbing each other about who's tougher/smarter/etc. I'd be worried about the world.

Congrats Dean. You should be proud.

And as for people not serving, I'll be the first to admit that I was both too much of a ***** and too bad at doing what I am told to have signed up back before I became an old fart. One of the biggest reasons I respect the ones who do serve.

Okla-homey
2/6/2010, 11:34 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_473nrD5vEv8/Su2HbGv6TvI/AAAAAAAACAs/WAc_FQdd3v4/s400/old-soldiers.jpg
And in that farmhouse right over there, lived a farmer's daughter who shore gave the fellers a run for their money while we was wintered-over in these parts back in '62.

Chuck Bao
2/6/2010, 12:21 PM
Congrats Dean and to your son. Obviously, we are all proud of him and thankful for his future service to our country. Dean, you will have to keep us updated. I enjoy reading all posts by those serving or by their family.

Collier11
2/6/2010, 01:48 PM

see. thats a joke.

you're a tard.

It has nothing to do with any of this, you are more than welcome to think the Corps are the biggest bad asses in the world, I do as well. YOu know what I was saying and why I was saying it as you have taken that same condescending attitude in other threads but if it was a joke then I apologize

Collier11
2/6/2010, 02:00 PM
Dude, lighten up. He's a Marine just like my dad.

what does that have to do with anything? My dad was a marine but was also a huge doosh, doesnt change my opinions of marines, just him ;)

If the assorted military branches quit ribbing each other about who's tougher/smarter/etc. I'd be worried about the world.

Congrats Dean. You should be proud.

This for certain ^

tommieharris91
2/6/2010, 02:04 PM
And in that farmhouse right over there, lived a farmer's daughter who shore gave the fellers a run for their money while we was wintered-over in these parts back in '62.

1862? ;)

Okla-homey
2/6/2010, 06:24 PM
1862? ;)

zackly.

Soonerfan88
2/6/2010, 08:52 PM
Congrats!

Did my time in uniform and now work with an ROTC Bn. If he wants to become an engineer and can handle a little time in MO, we have a spot for him.

Tailwind
2/7/2010, 02:29 AM
That is so cool! You must be so proud.

soonerloyal
2/7/2010, 11:03 AM
God bless you, Luke. Your Daddy isn't the only one around here bursting with pride at the news. Congratulations, God bless, and thank you for your service!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/Smileys/salute.gif

soonerloyal
2/7/2010, 11:05 AM
That's Marine with a capital M, Son. :D

OKC-SLC
2/7/2010, 11:50 AM
thanks, Dean.

Okla-homey
2/7/2010, 01:09 PM
As to which branch is the best, toughest, baddest, etc., may we all simply agree that each branch is best at it's particular mission? I mean, for example, the Marines have world-class light infantry it can insert on pretty short notice from ships and its own aircraft. The Army has superb and world-beating heavy forces able to close with and destroy any surface force arrayed against it. The Navy, the supreme ability to control the world's oceans and protect US maritime commerce (except for that whole Somali pirate dealio, but that's not the Navy's fault and is only a problem because its apparently not PC to sink those bastages as they put out from the shiite-hole that is Somalia). The AF, absolutely peerless ability to kill people and break things from the air.

XingTheRubicon
2/7/2010, 08:00 PM
Congrats Dean, and thanks to both of you.

small question...do Marines refer to themselves as being an "ex-Marine"

?

picasso
2/7/2010, 08:24 PM
Congrats Dean, and thanks to both of you.

small question...do Marines refer to themselves as being an "ex-Marine"

?

No. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Okla-homey
2/7/2010, 08:45 PM
No. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Except for Lee Harvey Oswald. ;)

he was a hell of fine rifleman though. Even shooting a POS WWII surplus Eyetalian bolt-action carbine he bought sight unseen.

StoopTroup
2/7/2010, 09:15 PM
John Murtha?

picasso
2/7/2010, 10:00 PM
Except for Lee Harvey Oswald. ;)

he was a hell of fine rifleman though. Even shooting a POS WWII surplus Eyetalian bolt-action carbine he bought sight unseen.

Ahhhhhh!:D

picasso
2/7/2010, 10:01 PM
And he was also a piece of ****.

texas bandman
2/8/2010, 04:52 PM
Congrats, Dean. I know your proud of your son. There is no higher calling than to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic".

Partial Qualifier
2/8/2010, 05:05 PM
And he was also a piece of ****.

And a perfect fall guy. ;)

Congrats to your son, Dean.

oudivesherpa
2/8/2010, 07:39 PM
Dean, what's you're secret, how do you get any kid to enlist today? After I got my MBA from OU in '68 I joined the Army Reserves in Norman and spent 6 years in the reserves, while I didn't love it, it did me a world of good. Neither of my two sons ever had any interest in the military, one graduated from OU another from a school back east, as much as I suggested, the idea of the military just didn't take. After retiring, I started teaching school and out of 100 kids, we might get three or four that are inertested in the military. You should be very proud of Luke, I just wish there were more like him.

Oldnslo
2/9/2010, 12:29 PM
Congratulations, Dean. I know he'll serve with honor and, should the need arise, valor. You have much to be proud of.