PDA

View Full Version : recruiting class impact thread

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2010, 04:30 PM
i'll evaluate this in a couple of years to see how we are doing. this is only based on the following videos:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/2010_signing_day.html

guys i like

joe powell - i really like the thought of him in our offense

rashod favors - that last highlight has me sold. that is one intense burst of speed.

finch/clay - its hard to decide between these two because they both have knacks that succeed in college - finch seems to always catch people hitting him at an unfavorable angle (so they slide off) and clay seems to be able to always keep separation.

franklin - something you don't always see from our recruits - attack the blocker, slide to the ball

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2010, 04:32 PM
i'll evaluate this in a couple of years to see how we are doing. this is only based on the following videos:

franklin - something you don't always see from our recruits - attack the blocker, slide to the ball

a reason why you don't see more Sooner LBers in the NFL...

gaylordfan1
2/5/2010, 04:46 PM
Well, the players that I think will make an impact early are:

T. Jefferson- he could get sig playing time since he is in the system early by coming in this spring... if he doesn't put on too much weight and becomes a clayton type LB.

Stills- good speed and hands, could make the WR line up if he is able to catch up from being 2 weeks behind because of the NCAA.

I have no idea how the line will pan out... Irwin could make the line up at some point like Evens did this year.

Now, the players I'm anxious to see on the field in a couple of years are Haywood, Millard, and Finch. I like the thought of having a small RB in Finch... the boy can turn/cut on a dime!

htownsooner7
2/5/2010, 06:04 PM
Blake Bell.

westbrooke
2/5/2010, 06:24 PM
I'd like to put Justin McCay's name out there, too. I see that SoonerSports lists him at WR; some people were speculating we might bring him in at LB. I just want to see him on the field one way or the other. The Youtube clip that was making the rounds when he gave us the verbal showed him making plays from both positions. A man amongst boys. Looked like he could do pretty much whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. Maybe that's just the state of Kansas high school football.

silverwheels
2/5/2010, 07:48 PM
Blake Bell.

Redshirt.

CobraKai
2/5/2010, 08:54 PM
I like Stills

Collier11
2/5/2010, 09:31 PM
a reason why you don't see more Sooner LBers in the NFL...

not completely fair is it?

Rocky-hurt
Rufus-hurt
Lofton-stud
lehman-hurt but started when healthy
Ingram- pretty good

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2010, 10:17 PM
Ingram and Lofton both had similar characteristics....Lehman injuries..

It was more than injuries for Rocky and Rufus...especially Rufus...

Stealth
2/6/2010, 02:43 PM
re: the original topic, the most impressive film for me was Millard's.

Maybe it was because my expectations were lower, but he really impressed me. He looks to have very good quickness, balance and speed for his size.

Curly Bill
2/6/2010, 03:08 PM
Out of the ones I watched, and it was most of them, I liked Tony Jefferson the best. Whether he contributes next year or not I don't know.

Eielson
2/6/2010, 03:43 PM
I got to see Irwin play last year. The joke was that he looked big for 320. He could also move really well. I expect him to be a stud, and think he could be starting next year.

Eielson
2/6/2010, 03:46 PM
Out of the ones I watched, and it was most of them, I liked Tony Jefferson the best. Whether he contributes next year or not I don't know.

He's fast and he can hit. Hopefully he can cover somebody.

htownsooner7
2/6/2010, 10:23 PM
Redshirt.

What's your point? Thread just says "impact", not first year impact. Bradford redshirted.

silverwheels
2/6/2010, 10:44 PM
What's your point? Thread just says "impact", not first year impact. Bradford redshirted.

Then what's your point? You could say any player could make an impact eventually.

sooner59
2/6/2010, 11:34 PM
Rabble!

sooner59
2/6/2010, 11:43 PM

guys i like

joe powell - i really like the thought of him in our offense

rashod favors - that last highlight has me sold. that is one intense burst of speed.

finch/clay - its hard to decide between these two because they both have knacks that succeed in college - finch seems to always catch people hitting him at an unfavorable angle (so they slide off) and clay seems to be able to always keep separation.

I see what you mean about Favors. He has a lot of upside. That guy was already at full speed and he turned around and chased him down. That is impressive.

oudavid1
2/7/2010, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=gaylordfan1;2830801]Well, the players that I think will make an impact early are:

Stills- good speed and hands, could make the WR line up if he is able to catch up from being 2 weeks behind because of the NCAA.

-Stoops said hes all caught up on everything academic and hasnt really missed anything football wise

oudavid1
2/7/2010, 01:15 PM
re: the original topic, the most impressive film for me was Millard's.

Maybe it was because my expectations were lower, but he really impressed me. He looks to have very good quickness, balance and speed for his size.

-Stoops said hes really excited for this kid and singled him out in talking about his class this year on Jim Trabers Show.

oudavid1
2/7/2010, 01:17 PM
Then what's your point? You could say any player could make an impact eventually.

Blake Bell HAS TO REDSHIRT, no way in hell he starts.

MojoRisen
2/7/2010, 02:03 PM
Kenny Stills

Has all Winter, Spring and Summer to gain 15 pounds will definitely have an impact. He is too fast and too good not to be running the fly patter a few times a game.

htownsooner7
2/7/2010, 02:22 PM

Can't believe I have to explain this. My opinion is that Blake Bell will have a big impact, even if he redshirts. Sam Bradford had a huge impact, and he redshirted.

silverwheels
2/7/2010, 04:33 PM
Can't believe I have to explain this. My opinion is that Blake Bell will have a big impact, even if he redshirts. Sam Bradford had a huge impact, and he redshirted.

Wow, you're really going out on a limb there, buddy. :rolleyes:

westbrooke
2/8/2010, 07:02 PM
Wow, you're really going out on a limb there, buddy. :rolleyes:

Given all of the highly touted QBs we've brought in who didn't make it big (Rawls, Grady, Bomar, Nichol), maybe he is.

soonerfan28
2/8/2010, 09:33 PM
Stills and McCay and possibily Bell. If Bell can grasp the offense quickly then Stoops will make Jones earn that starting position which would only be good for the team.

silverwheels
2/9/2010, 06:06 PM
Bell will have to wait until 2011 or 2012 before he can make a real impact. He's only been a QB for 2-3 years, and he needs to grow into his frame a little more.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/20/2010, 11:34 AM
bumping this after 3 games ->

good call on jefferson that kid looks like a superstar
stills has been good as well

i'll bump again over the next couple of seasons and see how this progresses

htownsooner7
9/20/2010, 01:44 PM
Well, I'm sure I'll catch hell, but if Landry keeps up with the inconsistency, the QB position battle should be re-opened next spring and Bell should be given a shot.

Collier11
9/20/2010, 01:45 PM
The competition was open this year and Landry was far and away the best QB. Look at his numbers, he isnt SB and wont ever be SB. Compare him to the typical sophomore QB, not SB

NormanPride
9/20/2010, 04:18 PM
You didn't call Millard, though. :D Dude's a beast, and I'm glad we'll have him for 4.

Powell has yet to see significant minutes, but I bet we see him some this year. He was showing up a lot in camp, so he'll get chances.

Favors and Franklin are buried on the depth chart, unfortunately. Nelson looked okay in his few plays that he had.

KiiDSooNER
9/20/2010, 08:32 PM
Daniel Noble has gotten some playing time and looks pretty good .

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/1/2012, 11:22 AM
Bumping this. There were some good calls in this thread but mine not so much. The good news is that they are all still on campus so I have a chance...

8timechamps
2/1/2012, 01:41 PM
Bumping this. There were some good calls in this thread but mine not so much. The good news is that they are all still on campus so I have a chance...

Still too early for some of these guys, but Millard, Stills and Jefferson were good calls in this thread.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2013, 05:51 PM
Bumping again after 3 years

gaylordfan1 definitely gets the evaluation prize in this thread

As for my horrendous picks:

Powell ending up a drug lord was not one of my predictions

I still think I'm in good shape with Favors as he's just been behind a backlog of talent

Clay/Finch have been okay

Things do not look good for franklin if he couldn't make it onto the field last year :(

Sadly, no one picked the best player (Colvin)

8timechamps
2/7/2013, 07:30 PM
Bumping again after 3 years

gaylordfan1 definitely gets the evaluation prize in this thread

As for my horrendous picks:

Powell ending up a drug lord was not one of my predictions

I still think I'm in good shape with Favors as he's just been behind a backlog of talent

Clay/Finch have been okay

Things do not look good for franklin if he couldn't make it onto the field last year :(

Sadly, no one picked the best player (Colvin)

You can't really count Powell. I think he would have been good, if he had gotten his head on straight. I think you were right on with Clay/Finch. Favors should see a lot more time next year, so we'll see how that one works out. Franklin may step up next year, I kept hearing good things about him from practice, but never got much game time, so who knows.

Looking back at Colvin's recruiting, I don't think anyone outside of Norman knew how good he could be. Just another example of the difficulty in assessing players out of high school.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2013, 12:14 PM
You can't really count Powell. I think he would have been good, if he had gotten his head on straight.

Yes but I can still hear my dad saying "And you thought Charles Thompson was going to be great. Heck a fat policeman ran him down" :heart-borken: