PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Walk-Ons

jdsooner
2/5/2010, 02:37 AM
A couple of in-state guys. Welcome and good luck!

WEATHERFORD — Senior Kale Sawatzky hasn't been at Weatherford forever — it just feels that way.

Sawatzky is one of those rare talents who was able to start as a freshman. Each year, he got better and better. He saved his best for last.

Whether it was as a powerful runner on offense or a punishing hitter on defense, Sawatzky set himself apart from the rest of the field this season. Defense was where he made his biggest statement, and he's earned a linebacker spot on The Oklahoman's All-State Football team.
Weatherford linebacker Kale Sawatzky had a lot of offers from in-state schools, but he decided to follow his heart.

Sawatzky elected to walk on at Oklahoma, he said Wednesday.

"Everybody definitely has a chance,” he said. "Walk-on or scholarship player. But yes, seeing guys I know like (OU’s) Trent Ratterree play does help support my decision.”

SYMONDS TO WALK-ON AT OU
In the end, Southmoore wide receiver Nyko Symonds wanted to see his dreams through. Given that, Symonds elected to turn down several scholarship offers and will be an "invited walk-on” at Oklahoma.
"I have always wanted to play for a top D-I program, and OU has given me the chance to achieve my goals and dreams,” said Symonds. "OU called a few weeks ago and invited me on a visit, offered me and then Coach (Jay) Norvell and Coach (Cale) Gundy called and said since I was invited I will have the same opportunity as everyone else on the roster. That is all I asked for was a chance.”

Collier11
2/5/2010, 04:12 AM
I dont know about the other guy but I think Symonds might get some PT here

rawlingsHOH
2/5/2010, 01:19 PM
According to Rivals, neither had any D1 offers.

fwsooner22
2/5/2010, 02:08 PM
The world was a better place without Rivals.......Just Sayin

okiedokie
2/5/2010, 02:29 PM
I hope both these guys find some playing time. They are going to a school because they love the school and I respect that.

+ He has already got a cool football name Sawatzky

MojoRisen
2/11/2010, 09:52 AM
Walk on's were credited with a lot of Nebraska's sucess in the 90's. Really helps a program

oudavid1
2/12/2010, 01:22 AM
i personally played against symonds and he is very very fast, but then again it was high school. either way he has a shot to be a playmaker

starclassic tama
2/12/2010, 02:04 AM
so for the OU football historians, who would be our greatest walk-on ever? i have no idea...

Collier11
2/12/2010, 02:23 AM
i personally played against symonds and he is very very fast, but then again it was high school. either way he has a shot to be a playmaker

sure you just werent really really slow ;)

freshchris05
2/12/2010, 08:19 AM
did tim duncan walk on? because he and trent smith both went to clinton and if i remember correctly trent was here for a year or two before tim showed up, i think he had been playing at a juco or somethin... someone with a better memory than mine correct me please heh...

Jello Biafra
2/12/2010, 09:29 AM
so for the OU football historians, who would be our greatest walk-on ever? i have no idea...

me...;)

anyway, sawatsky may or may not see the feild but i would like to see him at least make the team as a special teams head hunter like the last linebacker we got from that school... he would be worth his weight in gold at that point.

MojoRisen
2/12/2010, 09:47 AM
No doubt, special team headhunters are hard to come by! Just not risking injury to the starters and having someone with the absolute enthusiasm you need for that position to just be on the field instead of thinking of injury and the next level would make all the diference.

Nebraska and A&M have had some sucsess in this area...

boomersooner28
2/17/2010, 06:57 AM
Kale Sawatzky had an uncle play at OU I believe...in the 80's??? Anyone? You can't forget the name Sawatzky. The Weatherford Sawatzky clan has a tailgate that has neighbored ours for years at 4th and Jenkins. I'm rootin for him.

oudavid1
2/17/2010, 09:04 AM
sure you just werent really really slow ;)

Im from Putnam North (Home of Sam Bradford, you know the three star QB) so no comment

TXBOOMER
2/17/2010, 11:31 AM
I hope both these guys find some playing time. They are going to a school because they love the school and I respect that.

+ He has already got a cool football name Sawatzky

I hope all of the skollie boys earn their skollies and live up to the hype.

freshchris05
2/17/2010, 04:34 PM
Im from Putnam North (Home of Sam Bradford, you know the three star QB) so no comment

so... is that a no?

freshchris05
2/17/2010, 04:36 PM
or yes?

soonerfan28
2/17/2010, 06:18 PM
Kale Sawatzky had an uncle play at OU I believe...in the 80's??? Anyone? You can't forget the name Sawatzky. The Weatherford Sawatzky clan has a tailgate that has neighbored ours for years at 4th and Jenkins. I'm rootin for him.

His uncle was an offensive lineman in the late 80's

MojoRisen
2/22/2010, 01:45 PM
Andrew Lachelt an Ath/QB from Cali is walking on! Had interst from Bosie St and Uterus before hurting his knee. Looks like a good DB/WR candidate with some good speed.

texaspokieokie
2/23/2010, 11:57 AM
i had a friend in the mid-50s that walked-on, & lettered.

John Ederer

imagine how hard it was to get any playing time in the mid-50s.

MojoRisen
2/24/2010, 01:14 PM
We just picked up another Walk on from Austin Woods highschool! 6-3 200 pound reciever can't hurt!