PDA

View Full Version : 2011 TE recruit Chris Barnett

Tigeman
2/5/2010, 12:33 AM
Chris Barnett - Euless TX
6'6
40 yd - 4.5
also VERY solid academically.

The kid is a stud. Supposedly he wants to finalize his decision sometime this summer and get it over with. It's down to OU, Miami, Oregon, and Tenn. from what I hear. But UT is there, and he has a brother that signed there as a CB last year. However he's not real thrilled about their use of TE's, and apparently his dad doesn't get along w/ their staff. Everything I've heard is he's wanting to get out of state. Little bro is trying to worm their way in on this one, but I think they are a distant long shot!

Last I heard, his top 3 in this order were....

1. Miami
2. Oregon
3. OU / Tenn Tie

I have a feeling Tenn. is out after the coaching change, but haven't heard anything either way on this. Just a gut feeling.

He's yet to visit Oregon, but has been to visit us. I think he has a cousin that goes there though. Lets hope Miami and Oregon do sumtin to flop.

This kid could end up being a STUD!!! Maybe another Gresham! :D

Now the question is, are we recruiting him for TE or for LB where some projections put him? Common sense says it would come down to us and *. But common sense has never applied to recruiting...lol. Things do seem like * is basically just a formality deal. The only thing that worries me on our chances is his brother... and not wanting to play against him. If he thinks that way, we could be out.

soonerfan28
2/10/2010, 11:33 AM
I would like to se Oklahoma get Colt Lyerla. He has similar size to Barnett and is just as, if not more athletic. Can also play multiple positions. Pulling Lyerla out of Oregon might be tough though.

Tigeman
2/10/2010, 12:58 PM
He's a little slower than Barnett, but like you said, I don't think we'll get the kid out of the Pac-10. Worth a shot though! :)

boomersooner28
2/10/2010, 01:43 PM
When was the last time Oregon had a decent TE? When have they ever used a TE effectively? Why would a TE ever go there?

cjames317
2/10/2010, 01:56 PM
Cool unis?

Salt City Sooner
2/10/2010, 02:20 PM
When was the last time Oregon had a decent TE? When have they ever used a TE effectively? Why would a TE ever go there?
2009. Ed Dickson.

Tigeman
2/10/2010, 06:16 PM
The main reason is he lives there in Oregon! He'd get the chance to play w/ Masoli one more year, and the thieves could be playing for a mNCG game in the 2012 season with a senior QB. But you never know.

He could also end up at Oregon State as well, or Washington for that matter, depending how Sark does w/ Washington this year.

We have a shot, but I still think he stays in the Pac-10.

I want another Gresham :(

boomersooner28
2/11/2010, 07:39 AM
2009. Ed Dickson.

Who?

yankee
2/12/2010, 02:39 AM
Who?

just because you haven't heard of him, doesn't mean he's good. ;)

over 1500 career receiving yards.

boomersooner28
2/12/2010, 11:34 AM
Ya, I'm being a lil sarcastic, you get my point. :D

PLaw
2/13/2010, 05:42 PM
Chris Barnett - Euless TX

This kid could end up being a STUD!!! Maybe another Gresham! :D

I'm sure he has tremendous upside, but let's not compare him to Gresh until after his Sr. year. Players like Jackson and Gresh come along once in a generation or so.

Boomer

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/20/2010, 03:30 PM
He came through, today, re Scout: http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2011

MojoRisen
2/20/2010, 03:51 PM
Big get for us! This guy has all the intangiables!

Tigeman
2/20/2010, 04:12 PM
This is good! We needed a good hands TE! Hopefully he doesn't flop! :P

JLEW1818
2/20/2010, 04:39 PM
good stuff

oudavid1
2/20/2010, 05:09 PM
Nice snag, pretty good start to next year! Can't wait for spring ball to get going.

pappy
2/20/2010, 08:23 PM
If he's got hands he's gonna be a beast

IronHorseSooner
2/21/2010, 09:24 AM
I really like the idea of him, Haywood, and Millard being used like Gresham, Eldridge, and Clapp. Landry, Drew, and Blake must be just giddy over all of this offensive talent coming in this year and next.

On a separate note, will Thompson play QB when he gets here in 2011? The three guys listed above will all be ahead of him for some time. He is listed as running a 4.7, which is slow for a major D-1 WR or DB.

2/21/2010, 12:42 PM
I really like the idea of him, Haywood, and Millard being used like Gresham, Eldridge, and Clapp. Landry, Drew, and Blake must be just giddy over all of this offensive talent coming in this year and next.

On a separate note, will Thompson play QB when he gets here in 2011? The three guys listed above will all be ahead of him for some time. He is listed as running a 4.7, which is slow for a major D-1 WR or DB.Isn't Thompson's dad like 5'10" tall?...and, he ran a 4.5ish 40?

MojoRisen
2/21/2010, 02:42 PM
Thompson can Throw the Football, he is a high ranking recruit! He also like his dad can run with the football! Definitely a QB

IronHorseSooner
2/22/2010, 01:39 AM
With Thompson, if we don't have the best group of QBs in FCS, then I would like to see who does.

2/22/2010, 01:47 AM
...FCS...?!?!?!

Tigeman
2/22/2010, 02:21 AM
I would hope we have the best stable compared to any FCS team! LOL

IronHorseSooner
2/22/2010, 06:59 AM
Oops, I meant FBS. Pardon me, it's that Afghanistan dust again.

Boomer.....
4/15/2010, 01:17 PM
Euless Trinity standout TE, Oklahoma commit Chris Barnett withdraws from school

Junior standout tight end Chris Barnett, who has orally committed to Oklahoma, withdrew from Euless Trinity on Monday, Trojans coach Steve Lineweaver said Wednesday.

Barnett (6-6, 245), one of the state's top recruits in the Class of 2011, transferred to state-champion Euless Trinity in January from A. Maceo Smith, where his father, Elzie, is the football head coach.

Elzie Barnett said Wednesday that his son isn't enrolled in any school right now and living with his grandmother. Chris Barnett played his sophomore and junior seasons at A. Maceo Smith. He spent his freshman year at Garland while living with Elzie's mother.

"I have no idea what he wants to do," Elzie Barnett said. "I don't want to talk to a reporter about why he withdrew from school. Without talking about his personal business, being away from Euless, Texas, is the best thing for Chris Barnett."

Elzie Barnett said the family has a retreat planned for this weekend where they'll go down to New Braunfels and meet to talk about where Chris wants to enroll in school.

Elzie said that "more than likely" he'll end up back at A. Maceo Smith.

"Chris has been through hell and right now we need to do what's best for Chris," Elzie said. "I would like for him to just be happy. Football and all of that doesn't matter to me. It's a matter of him getting an education and him being happy."

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/euless-trinity-standout-te-okl.html

Tigeman
4/23/2010, 10:06 AM
Well more reason to hate SUC and now Kiffin (I always liked the guy) ...guess they are chasing him hardnow and trying to steal him. God I hate Orgeron... he's so dirty

KiiDSooNER
4/24/2010, 08:58 AM
Well more reason to hate SUC and now Kiffin (I always liked the guy) ...guess they are chasing him hardnow and trying to steal him. God I hate Orgeron... he's so dirty

I think OU knows something will happen and he might not end up here. I've heard that we're closing in on Max Stevenson (TE) & Nathan Hughes (DE). Both are from the same school and have OU high on their boards.

Tigeman
4/24/2010, 10:55 AM
yeah I know CB has told our staff he wants to take visits to other schools

IronHorseSooner
4/26/2010, 05:09 AM

Not to mention in "The Blind Side" he looked like an absolute tool!

Tigeman
4/26/2010, 01:41 PM
I didn't even notice him on there lol

Mad Dog Madsen
4/26/2010, 04:11 PM
I didn't even notice him on there lol

He was the coach for Ole Miss...

Tigeman
4/26/2010, 08:25 PM
Oh you were talking Orgeron! I thought you meant Kiffin! LOL

TheHumanAlphabet
4/29/2010, 12:39 PM
Post on the message below the linked story..

Posted by trinityTrojan16 @ 7:54 PM Sun, Apr 18, 2010
I personally know Chris Barnett. When he first enrolled at Trinity he was in my advanced math class but was quickly taken out after laziness and skipping school. He was constantly loud through out the hallways and causing trouble. There is no suprise he couldnt take the discipline and toughness of Trinity's teachers, administration, and especially the coaches. I guess he thought it would be easy for him to cruise through our school and just easily nab a state championship. It takes hard work and dedication, he couldnt handle it.

the_ouskull
4/29/2010, 04:43 PM
Big get for us! This guy has all the intangiables!

Sounds like it.

Sin,
OU Basketball

:D

the_ouskull

Tigeman
6/7/2010, 09:58 AM
Guess we pulled his offer for whoring around. Barnett camp is saying they committed though

Mad Dog Madsen
6/7/2010, 10:55 AM
Did we pull it or did he just decommit?

OK2U
6/7/2010, 11:53 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=52&page=briefingroom&season=2011&utm_source=Web&utm_medium=Web&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d52%2 6page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2011%26utm_source% 3dWeb%26utm_medium%3dWeb

One of the nation's top tight end prospects, 6-foot-4, 245-pound Chris Barnett of A. Maceo Smith (Dallas, Texas) has withdrawn his Class of 2011 pledge to Oklahoma and reopened his recruitment.

Barnett had transferred to state-champion Trinity (Euless, Texas) in January from A. Maceo Smith, where his father, Elzie, is the football head coach. He has since withdrawn from Trinity and is expected to rejoin A. Maceo Smith this fall.

Rated as a three-star and No. 20 among the nation's tight end prospects by ESPNU, Barnett now lists his current top eight as Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Southern California, Miami-Florida, Florida State, Alabama and Oklahoma State.

Among his other offers are Clemson, LSU, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Colorado, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Notre Dame, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Utah and Wake Forest.

MojoRisen
6/7/2010, 12:26 PM
I wonder why he felt the need to commit early as it was. He still list's us number one but you have to think what is up with the kid.

oudavid1
6/7/2010, 12:42 PM

id like to know the answer here.

Soonermagik
6/7/2010, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a turd. There are some kids who have talent who just stay lazy and do nothing. We have all seen these types of kids and he sounds like one of them.

It's interesting to me how he can't seem to commit to anything. I'm betting he was the real problem at his last High School. I personally hope we pass on this one.

6/7/2010, 03:54 PM
Sounds like a turd. There are some kids who have talent who just stay lazy and do nothing. We have all seen these types of kids and he sounds like one of them.

It's interesting to me how he can't seem to commit to anything. I'm betting he was the real problem at his last High School. I personally hope we pass on this one.No point in trying to shoo him off, though.

Eielson
6/7/2010, 05:26 PM
On a separate note, will Thompson play QB when he gets here in 2011?

I know it's late, but I've seen him play, and definitely quarterback.

oudavid1
6/7/2010, 07:06 PM

It's interesting to me how he can't seem to commit to anything. I'm betting he was the real problem at his last High School. I personally hope we pass on this one.

I know it's late, but I've seen him play, and definitely quarterback.

He was recruited to play safety. Defiantly not a Sooner QB, Blake Bell will redshirt so he would never see the field anyway.

Tigeman
6/7/2010, 08:38 PM

Inside word is, last week we basically told him his scholarship offer was no more if he was gonna keep shopping and not totally commit. This came after many warnings. This weekend he visited *. Our staff usually doesn't come out and say we've pulled a kids offer though, as it can hurt the kid's future. We just part ways and let the kids spin it.

All this comes after a month of his dad spouting off at the mouth that OU wasn't a good fit and he's really been a TX kind of guy.

I still say he eventually ends up at SUC though.

HBick
6/7/2010, 11:26 PM
I don't know why he would go to SUC, everyone forgets that they took 3 TE's in last years recruiting class and have i think 4 left from last season. Surely he'd prefer Uterus, but not all recruits think the way I do...

Tigeman
6/8/2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah, but * hasn't used a pass catching TE in some time with any success. Or at least they haven't shown that they can. So why any highly ranked TE would go there, IDK. It's where's TE's go to throw away their careers! :P In addition, this guy has been shown to be a head case, part of the reason we readily parted ways. I think Mack knows this, and I don't see them pursuing him very hard. Besides, they are sitting pretty good w/ ASJ.

The reason I say SUC, is Orgeron got into his head some time ago, about the time he started acting weird. If ASJ signs with *, I think Barnett heads over to the Trojans... unless they get totally hammered by the NCAA. Remember, somehow SUC has always been able to convince 5* guys to come their way, even if their position was totally loaded. Dunno how, but they do.

gaylordfan1
6/8/2010, 01:19 AM
Well, if he is going to be sketchy, then let him go. One less headache for us!

Curly Bill
6/8/2010, 03:12 AM
I predict after this recruiting season we'll be done hearing about this guy -- forever!

SoCal
6/8/2010, 02:58 PM
Word is that OU told this kid that if he was really committed to them, then he didn't need to continue looking at other schools. He even went to Texas' camp recently. I think OU got tired of watching him visit other schools and are moving on to other tight end propsects. I wish the kid well, wherever he ends up.

Herr Scholz
6/8/2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah, but * hasn't used a pass catching TE in some time with any success. Or at least they haven't shown that they can. So why any highly ranked TE would go there, IDK. It's where's TE's go to throw away their careers!
National NCAA champion as well as Super Bowl champion David Thomas begs to differ. He was our best receiver in the 2006 national championship game. He's in the league (Saints) with Jermichael Finley (Packers) and Bo Scaife (Titans).

We've had a stretch of bad luck losing TEs in the past few years (lost the entire position the past two) but to say UT and Greg Davis don't know how to use one is ludicrous. Watch Barrett Matthews this season.

6/8/2010, 03:25 PM
...to use one is ludicrous. Watch Barrett Matthews(fall down) this season.We applaud your honesty. You may be a cow, but you're apparently not a loyer.

Tigeman
6/8/2010, 10:12 PM
He was our best receiver in the 2006 national championship game. (Titans).

Once again, lets get off this past glory days thing! If we can't claim 6 out of 5, because it's to far back, you guys can't claim past RB's or TE's! :D ;) :rolleyes:

6/9/2010, 12:30 AM
Once again, lets get off this past glory days thing! If we can't claim 6 out of 5, because it's to far back, you guys can't claim past RB's or TE's! :D ;) :rolleyes:Scholz was attacking Sooner basketball on this Sooner message board not long ago. he was obviously trying to get some respect from the OU fan base, huh?:mack: Hook em

stoopified
6/11/2010, 09:20 AM
We applaud your honesty. You may be a cow, but you're apparently not a loyer.
:)