PDA

View Full Version : The Year of Living Dangerously

Chuck Bao
2/4/2010, 10:23 PM
This movie is currently on TMC and I forgot how good it is.

With the recent economic growth, it is so easy to forget what troubles there were in Southeast Asia just a few decades ago.

I remember going to church when I was a little kid and and the small town Oklahoma preacher's son and daughter-in-law were talking about their missionary experience in Indonesia during this time and how scared they were and how they hid in their house and felt the need to pray all night.

And, I like seeing a young Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver.

My favorite movies about Southeast Asia is this one, Beyond Rangoon, the Killing Fields and Air America. Okay, Air America is more humor but you gotta think that those characters were totally crazy in real life.

Also, I love the Ugly American. It was a fictious country but a future prime minister of Thailand - Kukrit Pramoj - played the role of prime minister. And then there was the devilishly handsome young Marlon Brando.

I left out the Vietnam War movies and they are a class of their own. What are your favorite movies about Southeast Asia and please include WWII and Vietnam War movies if you want.

ouduckhunter
2/4/2010, 11:39 PM
I'll have to look for the ones that you mention about SE Asia.

The only movies that I've seen are The Deer Hunter and The Quiet American.

We were in Cambodia and Viet Nam a couple of years ago, and loved it. The people were so warm and friendly, and it is hard to comprehend all the misery that they have been through in recent history. We're hoping to get back there and to Laos sometime in the next few years.

Position Limit
2/5/2010, 11:00 AM
the year of living dangerously is a wonderful film. sigourney weaver is stunning in that movie. i believe linda hunt won an oscar for best actress for her role. great soundtract and cinematography.

C&CDean
2/5/2010, 12:03 PM
Never seen it, but I'll check it out.

I really don't care for any of the Vietnam era movies - except maybe Good Morning Vietnam and Platoon. All those Full Metal Jackets and Apocolypse Now flicks blew. Yes, they were "artsy" but they sucked as movies. I've never been able to sit through the whole Deer Hunter for various reasons.

Others I liked: Big Trouble in Little China (I know, San Francisco, but WTF?), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, the one where one American and one Japanese soldier are both stuck on an island, Tora Tora Tora.

StoopTroup
2/5/2010, 12:08 PM
Just watch "Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon the other day.

Bacon did an incredible job in that one.

Plus...everything is better with Bacon.

Position Limit
2/5/2010, 12:09 PM
dean, it's not a war flick. the setting is a government overthrow of indonesia.

StoopTroup
2/5/2010, 12:12 PM
Do they kill a bunch of UN Inspectors that were just back from Iraq?

I'd watch that one. :D ;)