PDA

View Full Version : Update on Tulsa layoffs

badger
2/4/2010, 03:44 PM
The layoffs weren't as bad as expected. They did go through with eliminating civilian positions and with about 20 layoffs on that front.

TFD had no layoffs, thanks to an awesome union vote that gave up certain concessions in other areas.

TPD's only good news, however, was that about 20 officers that were scheduled to be laid off (and some that had already turned in their badges, guns and cars) were not, thanks to take-home car concessions by the union getting accepted by the mayor.

And now... the even worse news: Vigilante justice begins. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100204_11_0_hrimgs586516)

badger
2/4/2010, 03:45 PM
Shizzle... can someone move this to South Oval? My bad :(

jiminy
2/4/2010, 05:55 PM
If vigilante is all you got left, why not?

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 12:31 PM
To those interested, the front page of this site lays out the Tulsa Fire Department's efforts over the past couple of years to help the city with their budget concerns.

http://www.tulsafirefighters.org

That's what we've given. The FOP isn't exactly being honest when they talk about how much better a deal TFD received from the city. This individual round of deals aren't that different. What's different is how the cuts in this last round were applied and the volume of cuts we as a department have taken to ensure we can provide the force strength and apparatus to continue to provide the level of service required by Tulsa's residential and commercial profile, target hazards, and first response needs.

As you review the information, keep one thing in mind. Fire runs stay consistent over the years. There are minor fluctuations in year versus year data, but overall, fires are as consistent as they were 30 years ago. Fire fatalities and injuries have decreased massively over that span through technological advances in warning systems, dispatch speed, strategic resource placement, and improved protective equipment. And with the establishment of TFD as the first response agency for the City of Tulsa, over that 30 years, the fire department's run volume has increased ten times. From 5-6000 runs per year to over 50,000, roughly 58,000 in 2008. All of this with FEWER field operations personnel than what the department carried in 1980. All this with wage scales only 3% higher than the rate of inflation over the past ten years.

While I can't speak for the Mayor's Office or the FOP, I know for your Tulsa Firefighters, we have given, we will give, and we will continue to give until we get back on our feet as a city. But with that in mind, there are a number of things we can do to work towards more stable funding to prevent dire circumstances such as these from impacting core public safety budgets in the future. Those options are numerous. But there ARE options. And when those viable options start to come forth for the public to review, all I ask is that you remember the agency that is committed to service above self, comes when called regardless of the emergency, and has a proven track record of being one of the best in the nation at everything we do.

YOUR Tulsa Fire Department.

OklahomaTuba
2/5/2010, 01:01 PM
All this with wage scales only 3% higher than the rate of inflation over the past ten years.Just a question, but what kind of retirement pensions do you all get?

I think this will need to be the next shoe to drop for all public unionized workers.

No one talks about the pension issue, and its killing us.

StoopTroup
2/5/2010, 01:06 PM
Just a question, but what kind of retirement pensions do you all get?

I think this will need to be the next shoe to drop for all public unionized workers.

You should invite some Officers to come over to your house and discuss it.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 01:23 PM
Just a question, but what kind of retirement pensions do you all get?

How? How is Oklahoma Firefighter's Pension System "killing" us? Fact is it's not. This ain't California. Oklahoma's system is as robust as any you'll find in the U.S. due to the stability of contribution streams and the low volume of debits against the system versus contributors. And given lower wages due to lower costs of living, increases in the investment of funds only serves to translate to bigger gains per participant.

In other words, you're talking out your ***, Tuba.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah, an addendum.

A firefighter's service pension has squat to do with unionization. Volunteer firefighters qualify for a small service pension as well. And even with that, at last check (and if memory serves) the Oklahoma Firefighters Pension system is pushing 70% vested, based on member contributions, employer contributions, revenue generated from the investments of those funds, and monies gathered from the state contribution through the insurance tax.

So again, how is that killing us again?

badger
2/5/2010, 01:38 PM
The FOP isn't exactly being honest when they talk about how much better a deal TFD received from the city.

I bet you all were fans of this down at the fire station, eh?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/Thumbs/20100203_plante20100203_opinion.jpg

I would have to say that your union's decision this past weekend made lots of kiddos want to be firemen instead of police officers when they grew up (possibly through parental influence) :D

Also, I think FOP may have made a slight mistake in announcing they were gonna cut back responses with diminished officers. It seems people are upset, because the impression right now is that all of the street patrol cops were cut and the ones left are sitting at desks with supervisory status. Dear, oh dear. I have neighbors who are TPD. I hope their department makes it through this mess.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah, that one dragged quite a few chuckles.

Noticing a lot more old guys with a sleeve full of hashmarks showing up around town now. Not to mention the volume of cops that have swung by to ask if they could park their cruisers in our parking lot. Interesting to say the least.

badger
2/5/2010, 01:45 PM
Not to mention the volume of cops that have swung by to ask if they could park their cruisers in our parking lot. Interesting to say the least.

Must be the side effect of taking away take-home cars if you live outside Tulsa. Frankly, I love this, even if it means some cops have to find new transportation to Glenpool, BA, Jenks, etc. There's two cop cars parked in our little neighborhood area every day and it just, for some reason, makes me feel safer :D

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 01:48 PM
We're gonna ask for the keys so we can do doughnuts and shoot trap with their riot guns.

badger
2/5/2010, 01:51 PM
We're gonna ask for the keys so we can do doughnuts and shoot trap with their riot guns.

Got a little rivalry, eh? :D

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 01:53 PM
Notice we'll be DOING doughnuts as opposed to stuffing them down our faceholes.

StoopTroup
2/5/2010, 02:36 PM
Where did that guy who wanted to talk about pensions go?

jiminy
2/5/2010, 06:22 PM
Clearly the answer is: Arms for the TFD!