PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Rankings

TXBOOMER
2/4/2010, 08:44 AM
I saw one board had OU 7th (Rivals) and the other major board had us 2nd (Scout). Regardless of which one is accurate it looks to be another great class. The most shocking statement I've heard about the recruiting rankings is that TCU had its best class ever at 46th. With the defenses they throw out there year in and year out I couldn't believe that.

XingTheRubicon
2/4/2010, 09:03 AM
With all the rating services averaged, OU was 3rd. Max E., Espn, Scout and Rivals.

FLA, TX were 1 and 2.

oudivesherpa
2/4/2010, 09:09 AM
Has anyone ever done any analysis on recruiting rankings versus performance on the field three or four years after the recruiting class? I just have the feeling that Mack Brown has under performed and that Bob's classes have exceeded expectations.
It's called coaching.

Soonermagik
2/4/2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, but part of it is they aren't always right.

I believe Sam Bradford was a 3 star and Gresham was a 4 star. It's hard to tell how a player will develop.

However, normally they are on with 5 stars i.e. Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush. However, I think XLK was a 5 star player lol.

rawlingsHOH
2/4/2010, 09:41 AM
However, normally they are on with 5 stars i.e. Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush. However, I think XLK was a 5 star player lol.

5-stars are generally 50/50 propositions. But yes, on the average they end up better than 4-stars, and etc.

BigTime1
2/4/2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah...I dont know that saying they are usually "on" with the 5 stars is a very accurate statement. There are more that dont turn out than do...however thats not a knock on the raters...you cant predict the attitudes and decisions of kids futures or how they will react to the big show.

Sooner-N-KS
2/4/2010, 02:48 PM
Has anyone ever done any analysis on recruiting rankings versus performance on the field three or four years after the recruiting class? I just have the feeling that Mack Brown has under performed and that Bob's classes have exceeded expectations.
It's called coaching.

There have been a lot of 5 stars that didn't pan out. A few years ago the biggest catch in the nation was Author Brown. Stoops and Venables were salivating over him. He goes to Miami to never be heard from again.

rawlingsHOH
2/4/2010, 02:54 PM
Yep for every Adrian Peterson, there is a Chris Patterson. For every Tommie Harris, a Moe Dampeer.

I studied it 2 years back, and it was split right down the middle.

badger
2/4/2010, 03:40 PM
What Mack daddy said about the Jenks standout:

We) do feel like when you look at Demarco, he can play safety, he could play outside linebacker, I think he's about 215 [pounds], he could play wide receiver, he could play in the flex position inside or he could play tailback. There are so many things he can do. What I honestly told him, because he's a quarterback, is just trust me and when you come in we'll let you play a couple of different spots when you start. He wants to play next year, so I'll try my best to find a place where he can get on the field and help us."

I heard that Demarco Cobbs was bombing at workouts and we no longer wanted him, but this is really, really questionable. Trust Mack, huh? Trust that he'll find a spot WHEN you start, hmm? Is this what he's told all 80-some guys on the whorn roster? Hello! Wow. Just wow.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/blogs/weblog.aspx?column_id=26#7543)

OU_Sooners75
2/4/2010, 03:42 PM
I saw one board had OU 7th (Rivals) and the other major board had us 2nd (Scout). Regardless of which one is accurate it looks to be another great class. The most shocking statement I've heard about the recruiting rankings is that TCU had its best class ever at 46th. With the defenses they throw out there year in and year out I couldn't believe that.

Rivals does that every year. That is what happens when a whorn alumni is running the site.

CarolinaSoonerFan
2/4/2010, 08:13 PM
What Mack daddy said about the Jenks standout:

I heard that Demarco Cobbs was bombing at workouts and we no longer wanted him, but this is really, really questionable. Trust Mack, huh? Trust that he'll find a spot WHEN you start, hmm? Is this what he's told all 80-some guys on the whorn roster? Hello! Wow. Just wow.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/blogs/weblog.aspx?column_id=26#7543)

Coulda swore Cobbs went to Central not Jenks.

Collier11
2/4/2010, 08:27 PM
Cobbs went to Central

This is from CFN about our class

5. The very, very, very quiet monster class was brought in by …

Oklahoma. While Texas got some splashy top-ranked prospects like DE Jackson Jeffcoat and LB Jordan Hicks, Oklahoma might have come up with a stronger overall class. The rumors of Bob Stoops leaving for Notre Dame were untrue and the controversy allowed the coaching staff to show why they’re more committed to Oklahoma than ever. The Sooners loaded up with offensive firepower highlighted by QB Blake Bell and receiver Justin McCay from out of Kansas and WR Kenny Stills from California. But the big move was being able to steal Corey Nelson, a speedy safety/linebacker hybrid out from Texas A&M. Nelson had originally committed to the Aggies, but changed his mind on Signing Day in one of the biggest decommitments of the recruiting season. OU didn’t get Florida’s recruiting class, but it isn’t far off.

BoulderSooner79
2/4/2010, 08:50 PM
This could easily end up Stoop's best class when we look back 4-5 years from now. If a couple of players end up on all american lists and a higher percentage than usual become starters this could be the core of the '11-'14 teams.