PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Coverage

boomersooner28
2/3/2010, 01:44 PM
Wow!

Todd McShay on pick-up of Corey Nelson: "Great recruiting class but Oklahoma really needed this, they are a program that is at a crossroads. They are depleted from a personnel standpoint. The entire defensive unit really, is gone. Who are the leaders and who are the stars for 2010?"

What!?!!?!? :mad:

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2010, 01:48 PM
Do you really expect any better from ESPN? We are not an SEC team, so they really do not know much about us.

I think it is time to email McShay so he can get his **** straight!

boomersooner28
2/3/2010, 01:50 PM
And on Jeffcoat comiting to Texas: "OU has lost it's mojo." Then they mention the recent BCS struggles.

The kid is FROM freaking Texas....so what if we lost him to Texas. Geez.

WE JUST SIGNED A TOP 5 RECRUITING CLASS YOU IDIOTS!!!!

They are talking like OUr program just fell off the face of the earth.

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2010, 01:51 PM
calm down 28. Breath!

It is ESPN...if you have not been paying attention the last few years, they are all anti-Sooner because Stoops does not bow down to them!

Speer
2/3/2010, 01:52 PM
Just words from a guy paid to say them. He's not paid to be right or even coherent.

OUDoc
2/3/2010, 01:57 PM
Why do you guys still watch ESPN? If there isn't a game on, I don't even slow down on their channels.

soonerfan28
2/3/2010, 01:58 PM
McShay also said we lost our entire secondary.

rawlingsHOH
2/3/2010, 02:00 PM
McShay also said we lost our entire secondary.

He gets paid to have opinions on everything. Unfortunately, that includes things he doesn't know about.

boomersooner28
2/3/2010, 02:00 PM
Ok...I'm fine. I'm breathing. I don't know why I even watch espn when it comes to college football. The stupidity amazes me every time.

Collier11
2/3/2010, 02:02 PM
Here is the deal so everyone listen up, ESPN anchors have proven time and time again to not check their facts, say outrageous things, etc... DONT WORRY ABOUT IT

boomermagic
2/3/2010, 02:36 PM
Why do you guys still watch ESPN? If there isn't a game on, I don't even slow down on their channels.

Damn good question.. I never watch the bastards..

ndpruitt03
2/3/2010, 02:41 PM
We lost our CBs and our star DT we return something like 8 starters on defense.

SoonerLB
2/3/2010, 02:44 PM
ESPN's motto: "If you are not in the Big 10, SEC, or somehow involved with Notre Dame, then pfffffttttttttttt! We don't care!" ;)

boomersooner28
2/3/2010, 03:04 PM

The scrolling ticker said we return 6 starters on D.

Collier11
2/3/2010, 03:06 PM
Frank Alexander, Adrian Taylor (hopefully), Jeremy Beal, Travis Lewis, Sam Proctor, Quinton Carter...we also have Box who played a lot, Nelson who played alot, Ibiloye who played alot, and Hurts who played alot

IronHorseSooner
2/3/2010, 03:23 PM
Not to mention McFarland.

TXBOOMER
2/3/2010, 03:34 PM
Frank Alexander, Adrian Taylor (hopefully), Jeremy Beal, Travis Lewis, Sam Proctor, Quinton Carter...we also have Box who played a lot, Nelson who played alot, Ibiloye who played alot, and Hurts who played alot

Not to mention Ronnell " The Hit Man" Lewis. If they want to talk shat about a FG kicker, O Line or O skill positions I can't argue, but I wouldn't say the defense is depleted. This defense will be hard to move against next year as well.

Collier11
2/3/2010, 03:45 PM
Back to the main topic at hand real quick, these are the reasons that sports anchors opinions dont really matter

I have heard both of these on ESPN

"Lsu dominated OU in the 03 natl title game" when in reality, OU played horrible and still came within 6 inches of going to overtime

"Florida was far and away the best team in 09" when in reality we were inches away from going to halftime up by two tds and we still had a legit shot to win in the 4th quarter

OU-HSV
2/3/2010, 03:53 PM
Not to mention Ronnell " The Hit Man" Lewis. If they want to talk shat about a FG kicker, O Line or O skill positions I can't argue, but I wouldn't say the defense is depleted. This defense will be hard to move against next year as well.

Actually I was reading about Ronnell...Stoops calls him "The Hammer"

ndpruitt03
2/3/2010, 03:53 PM

If Adrian Taylor isn't ready that could hurt us some but our defense should be pretty stout. The weaknesses next year are offensive line and depth at receiver. DT can be a spot to look at too.

Collier11
2/3/2010, 03:55 PM
well lets hope, with HOPE being the key word that our Oline will have learned alot and be ready to rock n roll after a tough year where alot of guys got PT that shouldnt have

rawlingsHOH
2/3/2010, 03:57 PM
If Adrian Taylor isn't ready that could hurt us some but our defense should be pretty stout. The weaknesses next year are offensive line and depth at receiver. DT can be a spot to look at too.

Both will be good. Maybe not depth at WR, but the starting trio of Broyles, Miller and Reynolds will be top notch.

ndpruitt03
2/3/2010, 03:57 PM
well lets hope, with HOPE being the key word that our Oline will have learned alot and be ready to rock n roll after a tough year where alot of guys got PT that shouldnt have

Let's also hope we don't have 80 different offensive lines.

OU-HSV
2/3/2010, 04:02 PM
Both will be good. Maybe not depth at WR, but the starting trio of Broyles, Miller and Reynolds will be top notch.

Yeah exactly, how could the Oline be a weakness after we used so many players on that Oline...they should have not only game experience now, but they will have been in the system a season more, etc. I think the Oline will be much improved. Not going to say they're world beaters yet...but they (hopefully) will have shown significant improvement from last season.

And I agree the starting WRs will be a solid group. Plus won't they probably get Madu more snaps at WR too?

I think Miller is going to have a huge season this year. And Broyles, we don't have to say anything about his abilities, he's proven his skills. When you throw in Miller and then a group of incoming WRs who will contribute we should be fine.

Collier11
2/3/2010, 04:03 PM
yea, a little cohesiveness would be nice

TXBOOMER
2/3/2010, 04:43 PM
Actually I was reading about Ronnell...Stoops calls him "The Hammer"

"The Hammer" it is then. I named him the Hit Man after the Sun Bowl. :D

KantoSooner
2/3/2010, 06:01 PM
I'd be surprised if at least one of the WRs signed today didn't break into the rotation. We picked up some awfully talented athletes at that position.

ndpruitt03
2/3/2010, 06:46 PM
I'd be surprised if at least one of the WRs signed today didn't break into the rotation. We picked up some awfully talented athletes at that position.

If they don't we may be in trouble. Broyles and Miller are really good and Jaz Reynolds played well at times but outside of that we have nobody proven.

soonerloyal
2/3/2010, 07:19 PM
Won't Wort be back for the D?

Dan Thompson
2/3/2010, 07:20 PM
The season has not even started and we are doomed already.

MamaMia
2/3/2010, 07:38 PM
I like it when they insult us. All it does is tick off our players and there is nothing more scary than a ticked off Sooner. :D

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2010, 07:52 PM

We lost both Corners (Jackson and Franks)
We lost one DT (McCoy)
We lost one DE (English)
We lost one LB (Reynolds)

Add it up...that makes a total of 5 starters we lost.

Not totally all or most of our defense, but not three either.

oudavid1
2/3/2010, 09:41 PM

Haha, sounds familiar (2009)

oudavid1
2/3/2010, 09:46 PM
Won't Wort be back for the D?

Well he never actually played a down, so "back" isn't the best word choice. But Stoops did have nothing but praise for the guy before last season. Oh, and Jaz Reynolds is gonna have a great year, I've watch game film of this kid and he does things that make you think of another WR on the team. (#85)

Salt City Sooner
2/3/2010, 09:48 PM
We lost both Corners (Jackson and Franks)
We lost one DT (McCoy)
We lost one DE (English)
We lost one LB (Reynolds)

Add it up...that makes a total of 5 starters we lost.

Not totally all or most of our defense, but not three either.
2. Keenan Clayton.

ndpruitt03
2/3/2010, 10:08 PM
LB we had backups that played a lot. Box and Ronnell were basically starters by years end. And losing English isn't a big deal because Alexander was just as good, look at this stats. We lose both our corners. That will be tough to replace, and we lose McCoy. Those are the 3 big losses. We'll be really good at LB one of the best in country there. We'll be pretty good on the line, as I said if Adrian can't play that can be a problem but we have some good ends and young defensive tackles. We have decent safety play. Looks like Nelson is at corner and Hurst or Trice at the other corner spot. Defense should be solid next year. Offense will be the thing to look at.

OU-HSV
2/3/2010, 11:56 PM
If they don't we may be in trouble. Broyles and Miller are really good and Jaz Reynolds played well at times but outside of that we have nobody proven.

Yeah I knew I was forgetting someone, Jaz. Glad you mentioned him as well, I think he has great potential

budbarrybob
2/4/2010, 03:12 AM

^^^This :gary:

oudavid1
2/4/2010, 05:59 AM
The part about losing the corners isn't so much just there talent, but BJ and Dom Franks also where 6'1 and 6'2 and have 20 lbs on the next to guys in line, Demontre Hurst (Who Stoops said was the best freshman he ever coached) and Jameall Flemming/Gabe Lynn.

humblesooner
2/4/2010, 08:56 AM
LB we had backups that played a lot. Box and Ronnell were basically starters by years end. And losing English isn't a big deal because Alexander was just as good, look at this stats. We lose both our corners. That will be tough to replace, and we lose McCoy. Those are the 3 big losses. We'll be really good at LB one of the best in country there. We'll be pretty good on the line, as I said if Adrian can't play that can be a problem but we have some good ends and young defensive tackles. We have decent safety play. Looks like Nelson is at corner and Hurst or Trice at the other corner spot. Defense should be solid next year. Offense will be the thing to look at.

Ronnell started the Sun Bowl due to Brian Jackson's injury and due to the fact that Stanford was primarily a running team - with a Heisman type running back and their starting QB not playing. Starting one game under these circumstances wouldn't qualify Ronnell as "basically" a "starter" to me.

rawlingsHOH
2/4/2010, 09:49 AM
Ronnell started the Sun Bowl due to Brian Jackson's injury and due to the fact that Stanford was primarily a running team - with a Heisman type running back and their starting QB not playing. Starting one game under these circumstances wouldn't qualify Ronnell as "basically" a "starter" to me.

How does one relate to the other?

Ronnell started because Clayton was a nickel back, not a true SAM backer. And we were going to see bigger personnel groupings from Stanford.

ndpruitt03
2/4/2010, 10:27 AM
Ronnell also started against OSU and he played a lot on special teams all season.

humblesooner
2/4/2010, 10:31 AM
How does one relate to the other?

Ronnell started because Clayton was a nickel back, not a true SAM backer. And we were going to see bigger personnel groupings from Stanford.

They are related because Clayton was used to replace Jackson (probably thought of as a hybrid for Stanford's offense) and Ronnell was plugged in to replace Clayton as a Run-Defense LB.

The main point is that even though Ronnell started the SB, I would not classify him as a starter by years-end. He was a situational starter for one game that was necessitated primarily by BJ's injury and secondarily by Stanford's anticipated Offensive strategy.

While the original statement was "Box and Ronnell were basically starters by years end", is accurate, it is misleading to think that Ronnell played his way in to the starting line-up by season's end. The last game of the season is the only one in which he saw significant and/or quality playing time as a LB, and the primary reasons for this are BJ injury and Standford's Offense.

humblesooner
2/4/2010, 10:33 AM
Ronnell also started against OSU and he played a lot on special teams all season.

Due to family conflicts, I was unable to see the OSU game. If Ronnell started there, I was unaware of it and I will concede that point.

He played Special Teams all year and was the best ST player we had.
This has nothing to do with his status as a starter.

rawlingsHOH
2/4/2010, 10:38 AM
They are related because Clayton was used to replace Jackson (probably thought of as a hybrid for Stanford's offense) and Ronnell was plugged in to replace Clayton as a Run-Defense LB.

I didn't notice that.

soonerfan28
2/4/2010, 10:46 AM
I may be way out of the loop (usually am) but I thought Reynolds was granted another year b/c of all the knee injuries. Can somebody please clarify?

Nevermind. This clears it up.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook-ryan-reynolds-denied-appeal-for-sixth-year/article/3426617

goingoneight
2/4/2010, 11:08 AM
A few corrections...

K. Clayton played As a nickel, freeing up bowl practice hero Ronnell to crack the starting lineup.

D. Hurst played in place of B. Jackson, and switched corner spots with Franks at halftime.

soonerfan28
2/4/2010, 11:13 AM
I could be wrong but I thought we had a few corners see playing time. That doesn't count towards "returning starter" but it will sure help w/experience.

JLEW1818
2/4/2010, 11:15 AM
Jonathon Nelson was a "backup" and had 3 interceptions. 3rd on the team

rawlingsHOH
2/4/2010, 11:32 AM
I'd call Proctor the back-up there. Nelson got most of the snaps from mid-season on, I'd guess.