PDA

View Full Version : Texas cant win the big one

MamaMia
2/2/2010, 07:59 PM
They are on their way down and we are on our way up. I can feel it. Can you feel it too? :D

I also have a question. What are those Texas longhorn fans called who dress up in the feather boas and fur like collars like gay pimps? NTTAWWT

Breadburner
2/2/2010, 08:25 PM
Faggots...?

KantoSooner
2/3/2010, 10:10 AM
I've always just called the "Longhorns". The shoe seemed to fit.

StoopTroup
2/3/2010, 10:12 AM
They have been werkin' on their image.

http://failfun.com/wp-content/uploads/gangsta_floppy_disks.jpg

Soonermagik
2/3/2010, 12:32 PM
You may be on to something. Had Texas won they would be on a hot street of big wins against OU and bowl games.

However, the loss will set them back. I'll just say it now, Whorns gets owned by OU this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose 3-4 games this coming season. They have lost too many guys at key positions not to have a rebuilding year. Mark it down, Brown will have some down seasons over the next few years.

We've seen their recruiting lists be off the charts before and still have mediocre years.

StoopTroup
2/3/2010, 12:35 PM
Better to take a workhorse into battle than an untested unbroken colt.

olevetonahill
2/3/2010, 12:48 PM
But they DO suck the Big one .

TexasLidig8r
2/3/2010, 01:06 PM
You may be on to something. Had Texas won they would be on a hot street of big wins against OU and bowl games.

However, the loss will set them back. I'll just say it now, Whorns gets owned by OU this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose 3-4 games this coming season. They have lost too many guys at key positions not to have a rebuilding year. Mark it down, Brown will have some down seasons over the next few years.

We've seen their recruiting lists be off the charts before and still have mediocre years.

By mediocre years, do you mean winning at least 10 games every year?

Texas - OU game will, just as it is more often than not, be a dogfight.

I also would not be surprised to see us lose 3 games.. maybe 4 this next year. We have question marks everywhere on offense... replacing 3 OL.. inexperienced quarterback.. questions about running backs and wide receivers.

Defense will be very, very good.

CU Sooner
2/3/2010, 01:12 PM
10 games every year is easy when you don't leave texas in ooc, play a real ooc schedule and then 10 games might mean something. ;)

Not sold on your d, you lost your only 2 playmakers in thomas and kindle.

SoonerAtKU
2/3/2010, 01:14 PM
To whom, exactly, would Texas lose? OU? Sure, that's a possibility. At Tech? We'll see how Tuberville does, but that's so early in the season that you have to give Texas the edge. At Nebraska? Maybe, but their offense hasn't gotten any better that we can see. At KSU? Snyder always did have Mack's number for some reason.

Of those 4, I see 1 loss as likely, 2 as possible, and 3 or 4 as very unlikely. Maybe if you factor in a bowl loss does Texas get to 3 or 4 losses.

MamaMia
2/3/2010, 01:19 PM

I also would not be surprised to see us lose 3 games.. maybe 4 this next year. We have question marks everywhere on offense... replacing 3 OL.. inexperienced quarterback.. questions about running backs and wide receivers.

I agree with some of what you say. By the way...do you know the name of those guys? I'm sure you've seen them. They're at every Red River Shootout or Rivalry, or whatever they call it nowadays. :D

StoopTroup
2/3/2010, 01:21 PM
Hot Dog Vendor?

TexasLidig8r
2/3/2010, 02:22 PM
I agree with some of what you say. By the way...do you know the name of those guys? I'm sure you've seen them. They're at every Red River Shootout or Rivalry, or whatever they call it nowadays. :D

Mama.. there's a thread on shaggybevo about them.. really just one of them...

On the classics thread.

Goes by the name of UT Pimp.

Someone told his Rose Bowl experience in MS Paint... and included the UT Pimp being hauled off at the game by the Pasadena Po Po because he was slobbering drunk.

Funny as hell thread.

MamaMia
2/3/2010, 02:30 PM
Mama.. there's a thread on shaggybevo about them.. really just one of them...

On the classics thread.

Goes by the name of UT Pimp.

Someone told his Rose Bowl experience in MS Paint... and included the UT Pimp being hauled off at the game by the Pasadena Po Po because he was slobbering drunk.

Funny as hell thread.
I read that. It was hilarious. So, thats what they call themselves; the UT Pimps?

TexasLidig8r
2/3/2010, 02:50 PM
I read that. It was hilarious. So, thats what they call themselves; the UT Pimps?

I think so.

47straight
2/3/2010, 03:06 PM
In the last 12 months:

Texas lost the baseball NC.
Texas lost the women's volleyball NC.
Texas lost the football NC.
And, most tragically for Texas fans, the season they love more than anything, Texas is loosing the football recruiting NC to Florida today.

Sounds like there are institutional issues they just can't overcome. Can't win the big one anymore.

MamaMia
2/3/2010, 04:34 PM
I think so. Wow. Thats wild. :D

Soonermagik
2/3/2010, 04:53 PM

I was referring to earlier years with Chris Simms and Roy Williams type players. The years when OU had 2-3 star recruits beating Texas by 40+ points. My point is high rated recruiting classes don't always determine who becomes the best players. That same statement can be said for OU this year. These new guys have to earn it or their "stars" are useless.

Losing that many guys on the O-line, new QB etc.. is going to cause major problems against OU's front 7.

I don't know about the defense being "very good". Losing Thomas and Kindle is really going to hurt you guys. The defense may be better than average, but not great. It's hard to replace guys like the ones listed above.

However, we are in agreement that Texas will likely be looking at a 3-4 loss season. And yes, that's a down year after going to the National Championship. Fans, media, students etc.. have higher expectations the more a team wins.

Herr Scholz
2/3/2010, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose 3-4 games this coming season.
Let's be honest, you guys predict this every year (yet we win 10 every single year). It's like clockwork. In a few months, they'll be a thread about this OU team being the best of all time.

Soonermagik
2/3/2010, 07:59 PM
Let's be honest, you guys predict this every year (yet we win 10 every single year). It's like clockwork. In a few months, they'll be a thread about this OU team being the best of all time.

Look at my ratings lol. I tell the truth to both sides and get negative ratings from fellow board members for doing so. OU could lose 3 games too. I just call em like I see em.

Herr Scholz
2/3/2010, 08:00 PM
OK, then list the 4 games we might lose.

MamaMia
2/3/2010, 08:03 PM
Let's be honest, you guys predict this every year (yet we win 10 every single year). It's like clockwork. In a few months, they'll be a thread about this OU team being the best of all time.Actually not all of us do predict that we will win every year. There just so happens to be quite a few of us who know enough about the game to see potential problems that might stand in the way of victory. I am one of those people. Thats not to say that I don't always hope. :)

Oh and by the way, I have predicted the victor correctly since 1999. :D

Octavian
2/3/2010, 09:36 PM
OK, then list the 4 games we might lose.

Given the players and production you have to replace on offense, there are a few more toss-ups on your 2010 schedule than in the recent past.

@ TT

UCLA

*Oklahoma

@Nebraska

@KState

A&M

Not saying you'll lose all six of course, but four are away from Austin. That's a big chore for a green QB behind a new OL....throw in the losses in the receiving corps (Shipley, Buckner) and continued mediocrity of the running game....

not crazy to think 3-4 losses are possible.

Octavian
2/3/2010, 09:37 PM

Soonermagik
2/4/2010, 09:29 AM
Given the players and production you have to replace on offense, there are a few more toss-ups on your 2010 schedule than in the recent past.

@ TT

UCLA

*Oklahoma

@Nebraska

@KState

A&M

Not saying you'll lose all six of course, but four are away from Austin. That's a big chore for a green QB behind a new OL....throw in the losses in the receiving corps (Shipley, Buckner) and continued mediocrity of the running game....

not crazy to think 3-4 losses are possible.

This ^^^^^^

Plus, depending on who you face in a bowl game could spell another loss. It's not unreasonable to think you could lose 3-4 games.

Kansas State has given you guys lots of trouble in the past and they are only getting better.

A&M always plays you tough and they are finally getting better players.

Tech is kind of a wild card.

Nebraska pushed you to the brink in the Championship game. Not exactly like you were throttling them. They too have recruited really well.

IMHO, you can mark OU down as a loss. The front 7 is going to destroy the new line and QB.

In the end, they will get some of those wins. However, you're delusional if you don't think there's not going to be a fall off. I'm not predicting the end of the world, I'm just saying you guys will likely lose 3-4 games.

47straight
2/4/2010, 02:11 PM

We're a forgetful lot. We assume that you would actually schedule a decent non-conference schedule and forget that you've only got the Little Sisters of the Poor State and East Popcorn Tech lined up.

You'd think we'd learn.

Herr Scholz
2/4/2010, 05:21 PM
We've got UCLA this season and UCLA + BYU next. Then we've got Cal, Minnesota and Ole Miss lined up in the years after that. Not too shabby if you ask me.

'09 was an anomaly since both Utah and arkie backed out on us. The years before that, we've played TCU, tOSU, arkie, UCLA, UNC, etc. We usually schedule one good OOC team per year. That's the norm. Looks like we're going to two (BYU + UCLA in '11 and Cal + Minnesota in '15 and '16)

josh09
2/4/2010, 05:32 PM
I certainly hope there on the way down. But they haven't had a real "down year" in over a decade.

TexasLidig8r
2/4/2010, 06:51 PM
We've got UCLA this season and UCLA + BYU next. Then we've got Cal, Minnesota and Ole Miss lined up in the years after that. Not too shabby if you ask me.

'09 was an anomaly since both Utah and arkie backed out on us. The years before that, we've played TCU, tOSU, arkie, UCLA, UNC, etc. We usually schedule one good OOC team per year. That's the norm. Looks like we're going to two (BYU + UCLA in '11 and Cal + Minnesota in '15 and '16)

Welcome back Scholzie!!

Now. .don't cornfuzzle them with facts.

Besides.. don't you know.. when Ou plays TCU they are a tough opponent.. when we play them.. they aren't. When Ou plays BYU.. they are a tough opponent.. when we play them.. they aren't.

OPSEC
2/4/2010, 09:04 PM
UCLA wins

Nebraska has a bone to pick

Bourbon St Sooner
2/5/2010, 11:14 AM
Well, according to horn logic before this year the only thing that matters is bowl wins. So, OU had a more successful season this year.

Suck it losers!

Jello Biafra
2/5/2010, 11:32 AM
UCLA wins

Nebraska has a bone to pick

and a bone to lick

JLEW1818
2/5/2010, 11:48 AM
Welcome back Scholzie!!

Besides.. don't you know.. when Ou plays TCU they are a tough opponent.. when we play them.. they aren't. When Ou plays BYU.. they are a tough opponent.. when we play them.. they aren't.

In 2008, TCU finished 7th
In 2009, BYU finished 12th

Yall played TCU in 2007, and they finished unranked

:rolleyes:

47straight
2/5/2010, 11:51 AM
Welcome back Scholzie!!

Um, no. When TCU beats OU, it's "OU got beat by a Division II team!!!" Chants of "T-C-U!" at DKKKR Memorial Stadium. 3 whorn students wearing purple shirts, one with a "T" one with a "C" and 1 with a "U" to get on the whorntron.

When Texas plays TCU, it's "TCU has got a real tough team." "Texas is really stepping up their schedule."

Actual statements made by actual Horn fans and media. You need to stop lying right the **** now. I've seen it with my own eyes.

TexasLidig8r
2/5/2010, 01:26 PM
Um, no. When TCU beats OU, it's "OU got beat by a Division II team!!!" Chants of "T-C-U!" at DKKKR Memorial Stadium. 3 whorn students wearing purple shirts, one with a "T" one with a "C" and 1 with a "U" to get on the whorntron.

When Texas plays TCU, it's "TCU has got a real tough team." "Texas is really stepping up their schedule."

Actual statements made by actual Horn fans and media. You need to stop lying right the **** now. I've seen it with my own eyes.

You are rapidly denigrating yourself to the level of the New GDC... some nice, blind hatred for anything and everything UT without any sense of balance or perspective.

Did I lie about seeing kids dressed up in purple shirts? Yeah.. no.

Again, one of the many ironic issues is that when Ou plays TCU, you look upon it as a tough test... when We play TCU.. it's oh. .we have a weak schedule.

There are tools in every fan base. Perhaps you should stop pretending UT has a monopoly on them and look no further than this website after an Ou loss.. particularly this past year when there were outcrys to get rid of Stoops. :rolleyes:

KantoSooner
2/5/2010, 02:01 PM
Don't get too excited about Minnesota. You all will whip them like the family mule.
But don't put them into the category of serious opponent, either.

47straight
2/5/2010, 02:26 PM
You are rapidly denigrating yourself to the level of the New GDC... some nice, blind hatred for anything and everything UT without any sense of balance or perspective.

Did I lie about seeing kids dressed up in purple shirts? Yeah.. no.

Again, one of the many ironic issues is that when Ou plays TCU, you look upon it as a tough test... when We play TCU.. it's oh. .we have a weak schedule.

There are tools in every fan base. Perhaps you should stop pretending UT has a monopoly on them and look no further than this website after an Ou loss.. particularly this past year when there were outcrys to get rid of Stoops. :rolleyes:

Cue the Alanis Morrissette song.

You are dangerously close to becoming a typical whorn fan.

TexasLidig8r
2/5/2010, 03:27 PM
Cue the Alanis Morrissette song.

You are dangerously close to becoming a typical whorn fan.

And what would the "typical whorn fan" be Neuvo-GDC?

(can't wait to hear this objective, generalization from a man who has lost the last vestiges of impartiality and objectivity)

Bourbon St Sooner
2/5/2010, 04:16 PM
He's a Sooner on a Sooner board so he doesn't have to be objective.

So, again Lid, why haven't you been waxing philosophically on the importance of bowl wins this year? It seems like last year at this time it was your favorite topic.

Jello Biafra
2/5/2010, 04:37 PM

So, again Lid, why haven't you been waxing philosophically .

becuase he's busy waxing his lance.

Herr Scholz
2/5/2010, 05:04 PM
Welcome back Scholzie!!

I thank you. I took a hiatus of a couple of years to get my thoughts together.

In all honesty though, there's not much reason to play more than one good/decent OOC game per year if you play in the Big XII or SEC. We didn't have a single good OOC game last season (for reasons not our fault already discussed) and it still didn't hurt us from getting to the national title game. Where's the incentive to play the Ohio States or Miamis of the world?

humblesooner
2/5/2010, 05:10 PM
I thank you. I took a hiatus of a couple of years to get my thoughts together.

In all honesty though, there's not much reason to play more than one good/decent OOC game per year if you play in the Big XII or SEC. We didn't have a single good OOC game last season (for reasons not our fault already discussed) and it still didn't hurt us from getting to the national title game. Where's the incentive to play the Ohio States or Miamis of the world?

Mack? Is that you, Mack?

TexasLidig8r
2/5/2010, 05:58 PM

So, again Lid, why haven't you been waxing philosophically on the importance of bowl wins this year? It seems like last year at this time it was your favorite topic.

For the past 5 years or so, it has been. .and still is.. important.

Acts as a positive springboard to conclude recruiting for that year and to set a tone for the next year.

If it goes in streaks, it also helps define your program. If you win consistently in bowl games, you are much more likely to acquire a reputation for winning "big games." If you continually lose.. not so much.

Now... what bowl were you guys in again?

olevetonahill
2/5/2010, 06:23 PM
The one We WON
Pay tention Dumas.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/6/2010, 01:43 PM
To whom, exactly, would Texas lose? OU? Sure, that's a possibility. At Tech? We'll see how Tuberville does, but that's so early in the season that you have to give Texas the edge. At Nebraska? Maybe, but their offense hasn't gotten any better that we can see. At KSU? Snyder always did have Mack's number for some reason.

Of those 4, I see 1 loss as likely, 2 as possible, and 3 or 4 as very unlikely. Maybe if you factor in a bowl loss does Texas get to 3 or 4 losses.

We've seen more of Nebraska's offense than we have of Texas's.

Bye bye Shipley and McCoy...

meoveryouxinfinity
2/6/2010, 01:55 PM
Welcome back Scholzie!!

Props to the tOSU home and home. That was legit. But BYU and TCU and the like AREN'T world beaters. Sometimes you get lucky and end up scheduling a team that helps your SOS--BYU was average this year, but when we have played TCU and Cinci they have helped us out. We schedule those teams (Cinci, TCU) AND a "powerhouse" (Miami, Florida State, Washington, Oregon and Notre Dame, Tennessee, LSU in the future)
If you (Texas) schedule Wyoming and Middle Tennessee State and D1AA opponents all the time, there's no possibility of them being good.
While you guys schedule North Texas, Rice, UTEP, and the like in the state we play Tulsa (better than all of those Texas schools) and of course Oklahoma State.

VA Sooner
2/6/2010, 01:57 PM
Will be an interesting RRR this year.

The loss of McCoy and Shipley will hurt the Horns.

But Gilbert got a huge test in the BCS Championship game... there won't be another test for him that will be more nerve-wracking than being thrown into the game against Alabama's defense as a backup with limited playing time. Texas should be OK there with QB.

The loss of Shipley hurts a lot more, as shown in the MNC game. With Gilbert getting his mojo in the third and fourth quarters, having a standout WR made all the difference. Look at what Shipley was able to do against Nebraska in that last drive (although also given a boost by Nebraska's kickoff and penalty).

The loss of Earl Thomas and Sergio Kindle will be huge, especially Thomas. He was huge in the defense for the Horns.

The recruiting classes was pretty impressive for both schools. OU filled in the void by recruiting more o-linemen but it will take some time to gel and losing Williams and Simmons on the left side will definitely hurt. Bronson Irwin has already enrolled and will elevate his game starting with spring ball which will help tremendously.

OU is pretty stout on defense, corners, safeties, LB and DE. Will see how the new DTs pan out starting with the spring practices.

Need a little help with WR but recruitment certainly helps and Caleb will be back and healthy by fall. Three QBs all with talent, one with gametime experience.

And as always... the RRR is fairly even because of sheer rivalry. Let's just hope both teams get there without too many injuries.

soonerloyal
2/7/2010, 10:30 AM
The one We WON
Pay tention Dumas.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/oh-snap-chart.jpg

PDXsooner
2/7/2010, 10:35 AM

are you serious? do you think being a bcs team makes minnesota legit? ole miss is bad 9 out of 10 years. for a program like texas, not playing a better non-conference schedule is an absolute shame. cal? come on!!

PDXsooner
2/7/2010, 10:37 AM
Where's the incentive to play the Ohio States or Miamis of the world?

um, pride? maybe for the fans? just a couple of thoughts.