PDA

View Full Version : Texas' national championship title gear headed to Haiti

JLEW1818
2/2/2010, 11:46 AM
Everywhere I looked before Christmas, national championship game-specific team merchandise was selling like hot cakes extolling Texas' upcoming trip to the BCS national championship game.

It didn't stop there -- as always. Before the Longhorns kicked off their Jan. 7 national championship game against Alabama, some manufacturers had already produced thousands of hats and caps they hoped to sell after a Texas victory.

But Colt McCoy got hurt early in the game and Texas lost, 37-21. It left those producers with scads of leftover merchandise that have the shelf life of Brett Favre Minnesota Vikings Super Bowl T-shirts.

Such merchandise for losing teams typically is shipped overseas to a needy country in a charitable contribution.

But the University of Texas Co-Op will send 14,000 shirts and hats a little closer to home as it ships them to Haiti through its work with Kids In Distressed Situations Inc.

George H. Mitchell, president of the school's co-op, said that he hopes providing the shirts and hats to the needy in the earthquake-ravaged country will help in some way.

"With the terrible tragedy and loss the Haitian people have suffered and are still experiencing, we do realize this donation may not be a very high priority for them," Mitchell told the Austin American-Statesman. "However, we all need clothing and this is a small contribution we can make to assist in their recovery.”
It's a positive ending to a negative memory that most Longhorn fans still are trying to forget.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/10112/texas-national-championship-title-gear-headed-to-haiti

yermom
2/2/2010, 11:48 AM
like the earthquake wasn't bad enough :(

1890MilesToNorman
2/2/2010, 11:48 AM
They need the write off.

KantoSooner
2/2/2010, 11:50 AM
When I used to work in Northern Malaysia/Southern Thailand, a lot of misprinted or overstock type stuff got dumped on the rural markets there. I have a picture with a bunch of street kids wearing their 'Okrahome' T-shirts.

sooner_born_1960
2/2/2010, 12:05 PM
Most of the Haitians probably don't know Texas lost, anyway.

OK2U
2/2/2010, 12:11 PM
I remember seeing a picture online years ago of a group of impoverished children wearing 2003 OU championship shirts.

goingoneight
2/2/2010, 12:13 PM

Yeah... seriously. You're poor, starving, your home and country is destroyed by an earthquake and now you have to wear burnt-orange? Why don't we all just fly down there and p!ss on a Haitian while we're at it? [/sarcasm]

Crimson Kid
2/2/2010, 12:51 PM
poor people. :(

lexsooner
2/2/2010, 01:07 PM
I bet many of those American church child kidnappers in jail in Haiti are horn fans.

TexasLidig8r
2/2/2010, 01:33 PM
Sometimes.. I am amazed that the unadulterated hatred that exists for all things Texas on here knows no boundaries... attempted humor directed to humanitarian efforts is short sighted.. and pathetic.

lexsooner
2/2/2010, 01:38 PM
Sometimes.. I am amazed that the unadulterated hatred that exists for all things Texas on here knows no boundaries... attempted humor directed to humanitarian efforts is short sighted.. and pathetic.

Lighten up, Francis.

fadada1
2/2/2010, 01:42 PM
Lighten up, Francis.
HARUMPH!!!!

KantoSooner
2/2/2010, 01:53 PM
My new motto, "Better pathetic than apathetic"

sort of sustained whimsy for a weekday afternoon.

Speer
2/2/2010, 01:56 PM

You got me Lid, I hate all things Texas......excluding my wife and 3 year old daughter who cheers for 'Hoook 'em hones'.

Seriously, just donate some of your hard earned money to Haiti and put your 'we hate all things Texas' sanctimonious pissing and moaning on hold for awhile.

TexasLidig8r
2/2/2010, 01:59 PM
Seriously, just donate some of your hard earned money to Haiti and put your 'we hate all things Texas' sanctimonious pissing and moaning on hold for awhile.

Actually.. I did.

I have a good friend who practices in Denver. She is from Haiti and has a number of relatives and friends there. The media isn't capturing the true devastation.

If you.. or for that matter.. if anyone can contribute.. by all means do.

Speer
2/2/2010, 02:17 PM
Actually.. I did.

I have a good friend who practices in Denver. She is from Haiti and has a number of relatives and friends there. The media isn't capturing the true devastation.

If you.. or for that matter.. if anyone can contribute.. by all means do.

For once you and I can agree on something. Unfortunately, the media are there to make a buck....no more, no less.

I spent 6 months in Haiti in 1995, and we've sponsored a child there for a few years now. It is a very tough place to live during the best of times. I can only imagine what it's like now.

A Sooner in Texas
2/2/2010, 07:51 PM

Glad you contributed some cash, Lid, as did I, and as I'm sure lots of people in Oklahoma and Texas have. But really, isn't this dumping of the "championship" T-shirts really just that? I mean, did Austin's homeless not even want them?

yermom
2/2/2010, 07:59 PM
well, i'm sure Haitians will need something to wash their asses with :D

MamaMia
2/2/2010, 08:02 PM
Are these the shirts they printed too early saying that they won the MNC?

olevetonahill
2/2/2010, 08:08 PM
I'd Rather be Neked.

yermom
2/2/2010, 08:10 PM
Are these the shirts they printed too early saying that they won the MNC?

the shirt vendors print both to sell to the winners

there were lots of the OU and Florida champs shirts around before the game in 2009

MamaMia
2/2/2010, 08:17 PM
the shirt vendors print both to sell to the winners

there were lots of the OU and Florida champs shirts around before the game in 2009
Okay, but that didn't really answer my question. :confused:

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/2/2010, 08:52 PM
After TGWWDNSO I bought a "2004 OU National Champions" t-shirt on the street outside ProShark Land Robbie Stadium (or whatever the devil it's called) for $5. I think I left it at the house of a USC fan.

I did wind up nailing his daughter, though :D

TXBOOMER
2/2/2010, 09:43 PM
well, i'm sure Haitians will need something to wash their asses with :D

Exactly....I don't know what else anyone would expect them to do with them.

Crucifax Autumn
2/2/2010, 09:50 PM
I'm sure no whorns ever made fun of the OU championship shirts being worn by 3rd world people. They are far too Godly to ever do anything like that. They never make fun of crying children either. Their morals are beyond reproach and every single whorn is a saint.

olevetonahill
2/2/2010, 09:51 PM
Exactly....I don't know what else anyone would expect them to do with them.

I'd rather be Neked AND be dirty assed.

Eielson
2/2/2010, 10:31 PM
I'd rather be Neked AND be dirty assed.

Firewood?

starclassic tama
2/2/2010, 10:52 PM

ha

StoopTroup
2/3/2010, 10:35 AM
I remember seeing a picture online years ago of a group of impoverished children wearing 2003 OU championship shirts.

I'm not sure you really understand the reason for this thread. It was a near neg for me.

StoopTroup
2/3/2010, 10:36 AM
After TGWWDNSO I bought a "2004 OU National Champions" t-shirt on the street outside ProShark Land Robbie Stadium (or whatever the devil it's called) for $5. I think I left it at the house of a USC fan.

I did wind up nailing his daughter, though :D

This is how you redeem a painful reminder. :D