PDA

View Full Version : Fun! Crime Rate Line Up in College Towns

KantoSooner
2/1/2010, 05:43 PM
Note UT mentioned twice! How much is contributed by the football team, I wonder?

No. 1: U.C. Santa Barbara
Isla Vista, Calif.
(Ocean Rd. / El Colegio Rd.)
1,019 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 2: Univ. of Texas
Austin, Texas
(Lamar Blvd. / Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.)
613 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 3: Saint Louis Univ.
St. Louis, Mo.
(Chouteau Ave. / Compton Ave.)
603 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 4: U.C. Berkeley
Berkeley, Calif.
(Haste St. / College Ave.)
502 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 5: Ohio State
Columbus, Ohio
(Summit St. / 12th Ave.)
498 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 6: Ohio State
Columbus, Ohio
(Lane Ave. / Neil Ave.)
490 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 7: LeMoyne-Owen College
Memphis, Tenn.
(Owen College / Union Ave.)
483 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 8: Univ. of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, Penn.
(38th St. / Walnut St.)
459 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 9: Baylor
Waco, Texas
(3rd St. / Garden Dr.)
437 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 10: Univ. of Texas
Austin, Texas
(Lamar Blvd. / 24th St.)
435 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 11: Univ. of Akron
Akron, Ohio
(Thornton St. / Sumner St.)
427 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 12: Southwest Missouri State
Springfield, Mo.
(Southwest Missouri State U / Harrison St.)
419 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 13: Univ. of Southern California
Los Angeles, Calif.
(Figueroa St. / Adams Blvd.)
401 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 14: Univ. of South Carolina
Columbia, S.C.
(Whaley St. / Assembly St.)
394 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 15: Saint Louis University
St. Louis, Mo.
(Saint Louis U / Olive St.)
379 property crimes per 1,000 residents

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 05:51 PM
Baylor? Really?

KantoSooner
2/1/2010, 05:53 PM
So says CNN.......

your call. Also, it lists 'property' crimes. so violence is not included.

Eielson
2/1/2010, 06:23 PM
Baylor? Really?

Well, they did murder one of their basketball players.

And what is the deal with Texas being on their twice?

yankee
2/1/2010, 06:30 PM
Baylor? Really?

ever been to waco?
it's like going to a 3rd world country (ok not really, but it's real bad). i have a friend who goes there, and they do mission trips INSIDE the city...they don't have to go to mexico, they can go right outside their dorms.

Scott D
2/1/2010, 06:33 PM
Baylor? Really?

not a surprise, considering that a majority of the schools on that list aren't exactly in the best neighborhoods of those cities. It's not an accident that 3 schools have 6 spots on that list.

SoonerLB
2/1/2010, 06:46 PM
Now Mack can use the excuse "we play in a bad neighborhood, our kids are traumatized."

sooner59
2/1/2010, 06:59 PM
Texas and Ohio State are both on their twice. It looks like they aren't counting the entire town, just certain areas near the college campus.

Dan Thompson
2/1/2010, 09:39 PM
I'm surprised that USC is not higher, considering where they are.

UC Santa Barbara is a surprise. I thought everything was fixed after they burned down the Bank of America back in the 60's.

There really isn't much out there in Isla Vista, except the school.

Chuck Bao
2/2/2010, 02:55 AM
When I went to school at Baylor in the mid-80s, the district including the university was supposed to have the third highest crime rate in the US. I am not sure who came up with that or how they calculated it. But at no time did I ever feel unsafe or concerned for my property or car.

Leroy Lizard
2/2/2010, 04:07 AM
Maybe you're just real freakin' brave.

AlbqSooner
2/2/2010, 07:20 AM
When I went to school at Baylor in the mid-80s, the district including the university was supposed to have the third highest crime rate in the US. I am not sure who came up with that or how they calculated it. But at no time did I ever feel unsafe or concerned for my property or car.

When I was in school I did not worry about my property or my car. I had very little property and my car was such a piece of crap it was WAY down on the shopping list of even the most opportunisitc criminals.

Crucifax Autumn
2/2/2010, 07:37 AM
I'm surprised UNLV isn't on that list.

Crimson Kid
2/2/2010, 09:20 AM
Baylor? Really?

What? you don't remember the chick stealing beers at the tailgate party. lol!!

UTgolfer
2/2/2010, 11:31 AM
And what is the deal with Texas being on their twice?

Apparently the methodology included subdividing areas within zip codes and the two neighborhoods listed are essentially one. Which means that if they were combined it would #1 on the list. And therefore we could claim our first national championship of the year! ;)

KantoSooner
2/2/2010, 11:44 AM
We'll be generous and spot you this one. Congratulations!

Scott D
2/2/2010, 02:42 PM
Apparently the methodology included subdividing areas within zip codes and the two neighborhoods listed are essentially one. Which means that if they were combined it would #1 on the list. And therefore we could claim our first national championship of the year! ;)

yeah but you should still have to share it with Ohio State and Saint Louis U. So you can go ahead and claim another asterisk while you're at it ;)

47straight
2/2/2010, 03:45 PM
UT is not in an otherwise bad or impoverished neighborhood at all. It's just plain old longhorn on longhorn crime.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2010, 06:47 AM
ever been to waco?
it's like going to a 3rd world country (ok not really, but it's real bad). i have a friend who goes there, and they do mission trips INSIDE the city...they don't have to go to mexico, they can go right outside their dorms.

It's not a mission trip -- it's called "Stepping Out" but you're correct.

Waco, especially the area surrounding the bubble, is VERY VERY dangerous. Cars getting broken into, muggings, shootings, etc. are all very common and BDPS has never put much effort into stopping it.

Waco in general is a fairly dangerous city. A big problem is that there are really 3 classes of people in Waco: Baylor students, business leaders (who all live in the northern suburbs), and everyone else and by everyone else I mean very poor locals. That makes Baylor students a target.

A couple of years ago when a couple of friends of mine came back from vacation, they had bullet holes through their doors and windows and then a week later they were robbed. That kind of thing isn't uncommon.

There are a lot of drug dealers and a lot of prostitutes as well.

It's just a ****ty situation but it has improved somewhat in the last few years since they got rid of all the homeless around campus. I'm not sure where they went.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2010, 06:49 AM

It must have changed. A lot. A whole **** hell of a lot.