PDA

View Full Version : Willie Martinez

okienole3
2/1/2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=301103

New coach. This means BJW goes back to DEs?

IronHorseSooner
2/1/2010, 10:04 AM
A new coach for us? I must be behind the power curve. Wikipedia has him listed as the DBs coach for Stanford.

rawlingsHOH
2/1/2010, 11:00 AM
[url] This means BJW goes back to DEs?

I would assume so.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/1/2010, 11:11 AM
Former Georgia defensive coordinator Willie Martinez apparently is in high demand.

Rivals.com this morning reports that Martinez has accepted an assistant coaching job at Oklahoma several days after reportedly accepting a similar job at Stanford.

Here’s the latest report from national football writer Tom Dienhart:

Willie Martinez has accepted an assistant coaching job at Oklahoma, Rivals.com has learned.

Martinez recently took a position as secondary coach at Stanford, but he has had a change of heart. Martinez coached defensive backs for nine seasons at Georgia and was defensive coordinator for five years in Athens before being fired after last season.

Oklahoma hasn’t announced a hire of Martinez.

An opening was created on head coach Bob Stoops‘ Oklahoma staff when defensive ends coach and special teams coordinator Chris Wilson left to become the co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach at Mississippi State.

Because Martinez’s background is in coaching defensive backs, The Oklahoman newspaper notes on its Website this morning: “It’s unclear what position group he’ll coach in Norman if the report is true.”

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 11:22 AM
So it wasn't his unit at Stanford? That makes me feel better.

Still, I really liked BJW's work in our secondary. His guys were starting to see playing time, and it was obvious the difference it made in the D.

rawlingsHOH
2/1/2010, 11:38 AM

Still, I really liked BJW's work in our secondary. His guys were starting to see playing time, and it was obvious the difference it made in the D.

Who were "his" guys?

BASSooner
2/1/2010, 12:51 PM

This started when Stoops became more involved with OUr secondary (more particularly with the CBs) I do like BJW but his coaching strengths lay in with the DEs, not the DBs

bigxii
2/1/2010, 01:07 PM
I hope he can coach DBs better than his DB coach at Georgia did. GAs defense was pretty bad considering all the talent they have. Not trying to be negative, but this hire really shocks me. His defenses have been pretty poor.

Fraggle145
2/1/2010, 01:21 PM
I hope he can coach DBs better than his DB coach at Georgia did. GAs defense was pretty bad considering all the talent they have. Not trying to be negative, but this hire really shocks me. His defenses have been pretty poor.

Uh, that was him. That poor perfomance curveover the last 3-4 years at UGA after Van Gorder left, especially after they got their own defensive recruits in was all him. This dude sucks, at least as a D-Coordinator. He was good as a d-backs coach under Van Gorder, that's what got him the job at UGA, but that just as easily could have been due to the talent Van gorder was bringing in. We shall see...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/1/2010, 01:23 PM
likes the soft zone coverage....

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 01:44 PM
Who were "his" guys?

Fleming, Franks, Carter, Hurst, Trice... All guys that were showing a lot of good things. BJW ran a great secondary at Texas and things were looking up for us as well. It was a strength this year.

But this is all a moot point if we switch to the 3-4 like some have been speculating...

rawlingsHOH
2/1/2010, 02:29 PM
But this is all a moot point if we switch to the 3-4 like some have been speculating...
Hmmm... That would be interesting. We definitely do NOT have prototypical 3-4 personnel.

I know we play a lot of 3-man front against the spread teams in the Big 12. But this would be another monster altogether.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 02:51 PM
How soon before we start chanting: "Willie, Willie, Willie... should go home!"

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 03:49 PM
Hmmm... That would be interesting. We definitely do NOT have prototypical 3-4 personnel.

I know we play a lot of 3-man front against the spread teams in the Big 12. But this would be another monster altogether.

Well, if you consider the line personnel, we have a couple of big DTs coming in that are larger than we normally recruit. Then we have Stacey McGee and Justin Chaisson who are an undersized DT and an oversized DE respectively. As for OLBs, we have Beal who already plays this role, along with Ronnel Lewis who was projected to spin down there eventually.

That's just size, though. The biggest issue to me is in technique. It's a completely different skill set that the boys have to get used to. The LBs HAVE to be able to take on OL every once in awhile, and that's just not what this bunch has been good at. Travis Lewis would be a benchwarmer. :D

rawlingsHOH
2/1/2010, 03:58 PM
You are right about Beal and R.Lewis, they'd be ideal rush OLBs. But T.Lewis and Wort or Box would really struggled with uncovered guards. Chaisson and McGee would be decent sized DEs. So we may not be as far off as I originally suspected!

Collier11
2/1/2010, 04:11 PM
a possible 3-4 switch?

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 04:32 PM
You are right about Beal and R.Lewis, they'd be ideal rush OLBs. But T.Lewis and Wort or Box would really struggled with uncovered guards. Chaisson and McGee would be decent sized DEs. So we may not be as far off as I originally suspected!

Yeah, but we'd still need to find good MLBs to stuff the middle. Of all the positions in the 3-4 that is the one I know the least about the responsibilities. I imagine it would be a bit easier in the big 12 because most teams are finesse blockers and the guards aren't quite the road-graders that other conferences have. But I may be way off-base here.

BoomerJ
2/1/2010, 04:45 PM
Apparently, he was a good DB coach. It just didn't translate to being a good DC. And he is said to be a very good recruiter. I like the recruiting possibilities in the South with him on board.

Collier11
2/1/2010, 04:46 PM
before 09 everyone bitched about our DBs so I would be good with this if he came in to coach DBs

CrimsonCommando
2/1/2010, 05:06 PM
If my memory serves right, didn't some people complain about Bo Pelini when he was our secondary coach? I didn't just make that up, did I? I thought the knock on him was he was good at Nebbish, BAD at Oklahoma, then learned how to coach again at LSU, which got him the Nebbish head coaching gig.

Since he sucked at Georga (a perenial under-achiever) maybe Willie Martie can remember how to coach well again for us AND recruit, if that is really his forte.

Collier11
2/1/2010, 05:10 PM
OU fans have bitched about every off coord, bo pelini, mike stoops, BV, BJW, etc... thats just the spoiled life that some of them live

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 05:28 PM
Bo was a square peg in a round hole. He tried the left/right corner rather than field/boundary and it didn't mesh well with what we had established. Not the best ever... But still a good coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/1/2010, 05:36 PM
Bo was a square peg in a round hole. He tried the left/right corner rather than field/boundary and it didn't mesh well with what we had established. Not the best ever... But still a good coach.

This...there was severe communication problems all year....

goingoneight
2/1/2010, 05:58 PM
And losing that Derrick Strait dood ain't too fun for secondary coaches.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/1/2010, 07:41 PM
Being from the state of Georgia, I've watch the dogs forever and here's what I think.

Georgia's lack of a QB and playmakers threw the defense under the bus this past season. Mark Richt also has a habit of settling for FG's, this also puts pressure on defenses as the never put teams away. In the dogs biggest 5 SEC games, they averaged 16 points a game, but against the Vandy and South Carolina types they averaged 38.5.

I think with a better offense you will see Martinez stand a better chance of holding his own.

VA Sooner
2/1/2010, 08:40 PM
Derrick Strait... now he was an absolute ball-hawker. Lots of memorable plays. Does he have any eligibility left? I wonder if he has any coaching skills.

Our secondary is looking good next year. Lots of talent and showed good skills towards the end of last season... Nelson and Hurst in particular. How do you think Procter will fit in?

ashley
2/1/2010, 08:56 PM
This started when Stoops became more involved with OUr secondary (more particularly with the CBs) I do like BJW but his coaching strengths lay in with the DEs, not the DBs

Have you been on Mars? Did you see our secondary this year.

boomerborn79
2/1/2010, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Collier11;2828102]OU fans have bitched about every off coord, bo pelini, mike stoops, BV, BJW, etc... thats just the spoiled life that some of them live[/QUO

Them, What do you mean them. I thought WE were all soonerfans???:confused:

Collier11
2/1/2010, 11:02 PM
We are all Sooner fans, some are just more unrealistic than others

steebu
2/2/2010, 11:41 AM

I live in Atlanta and saw Martinez's units all year. They were BAD for the last few years. I don't like this hire at all. His units were marked by severe lack of discipline. He does recruit fairly well, though, and his units did have plenty of athletes.

On the other hand, you know how some guys are better coordinators than head coaches? Maybe some guys are better position coaches than coordinators.

rawlingsHOH
2/2/2010, 11:51 AM
Have you been on Mars? Did you see our secondary this year.

Secondary was great.

NormanPride
2/2/2010, 12:09 PM
I live in Atlanta and saw Martinez's units all year. They were BAD for the last few years. I don't like this hire at all. His units were marked by severe lack of discipline. He does recruit fairly well, though, and his units did have plenty of athletes.

On the other hand, you know how some guys are better coordinators than head coaches? Maybe some guys are better position coaches than coordinators.

I think that's exactly the sentiment. BJW was a great secondary coach at Texas, but then was promoted to DC and sucked hardcore. He's been an excellent DE and secondary coach for us as well. It sounds like this guy is similar.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/2/2010, 02:00 PM
Who actually hired the guy, Stanford or OU ?

BillyBall
1/11/2012, 04:20 PM

Bump.

Peach Fuzz
1/11/2012, 09:03 PM
Dump.

sooneredaco
1/11/2012, 09:11 PM
Dump.

Drop a deuce on this thang

Fraggle145
1/11/2012, 10:27 PM
Uh, that was him. That poor perfomance curveover the last 3-4 years at UGA after Van Gorder left, especially after they got their own defensive recruits in was all him. This dude sucks, at least as a D-Coordinator. He was good as a d-backs coach under Van Gorder, that's what got him the job at UGA, but that just as easily could have been due to the talent Van gorder was bringing in. We shall see...

*burp*

goingoneight
1/11/2012, 10:36 PM
Fart.

OULenexaman
1/12/2012, 08:36 AM
oops....never trust a fart.

badger
1/12/2012, 09:18 AM
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120112_92_0_Oklaho898377)

Asked were Martinez was going, Stoops wrote: "Unsure. (He) has several offers."

Mississippi Sooner
1/12/2012, 09:30 AM
"You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

sooneredaco
1/12/2012, 09:40 AM
Don't let the door hit hit ya where good lord split ya

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah....I'm thinking we intend to honor his contract but he won't be Coaching here unless he gets a job somewhere where he's not on a Staff where he's Coaching against us for at least a year.....

Basically Bob just Traded Mike for Willie as his choice for Pool Boy this summer?