PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the rest of the Big 12?

Collier11
2/1/2010, 02:02 AM
tex- cant stand them, mainly because they are our biggest rival and most of their fans are tools

osu- they are the annoying little brother who talks crap and has nothing to back it up, I hope they go 0-12 every year

tech- used to cheer for them with Leach, no longer. their fans are jackholes

a&m- they have hired some dooshey coaches lately, I used to root for the wrecking crew, no more

baylor- poor pathetic losers, I hope they make a bowl game this yr

neb- I have always rooted for nebbish when they dont play OU

kst- probably the north team I cant stand the most because they are the most competitive

kan- cheered alot for them with mangino, will still cheer for them with Gill

iowa st- who cares

missouri- the other north team that I cant stand, their fans are idiots

colorado- insignificant except when we play them in boulder, wtf

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 02:06 AM
I've seen a thread like this somewhere before. I just can't remember where.

Collier11
2/1/2010, 02:11 AM
yea but this is the entire Big 12, the other chump just cared about the south, :D

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 02:13 AM
Oh, that's very different.

Never mind.

WA. Sooner
2/1/2010, 02:14 AM
Kick the texass teams out and go back to the Big 8

Collier11
2/1/2010, 02:16 AM
^ Im good with this

sooner59
2/1/2010, 03:11 AM
tex- cant stand them, mainly because they are our biggest rival and most of their fans are tools

osu- they are the annoying little brother who talks crap and has nothing to back it up, I hope they go 0-12 every year

tech- used to cheer for them with Leach, no longer. their fans are jackholes

a&m- they have hired some dooshey coaches lately, I used to root for the wrecking crew, no more

baylor- poor pathetic losers, I hope they make a bowl game this yr

neb- I have always rooted for nebbish when they dont play OU

kst- probably the north team I cant stand the most because they are the most competitive

kan- cheered alot for them with mangino, will still cheer for them with Gill

iowa st- who cares

missouri- the other north team that I cant stand, their fans are idiots

colorado- insignificant except when we play them in boulder, wtf

Texas - Yeah, no comment (SF prohibits extreme profanities).

OSU - little sister. I almost feel bad for their fans.....until they talk, then **** em.

Iowa St. - My g/f's family is from Iowa and are fans, so I pull for em when they don't play us.

Nebraska - I made the trip to Lincoln this year. Great fans, nice people, generally weird in my opinion. Maybe too much Runza and corn...I don't know.

Everyone else.....whatever. We just need to beat them. I do have an angry feeling about playing in Lubbock, though.

Oh, and the students/fans at College Station were really nice to us. They invited us to tailgate and gave us hamburgers. Everybody was extremely nice. I don't have anything bad to say about them.

PhilTLL
2/1/2010, 04:23 AM
Going back to a Big 8 is both infeasible and unwise. As for the programs, I can't stand Texas athletics, ever. I don't care who they're playing, and no, a big Texas win NEVER generates enough "good" for the conference (whatever the hell that means; I never saw a trophy for best buzz around a conference) to outweigh the "bad" it does to us in recruiting and in the cockles of my cold, jealous heart. I can't believe anyone unpolluted by Texas friends/family (or academic experience, heh) would have rooted for them in the title game this year. If you hate Texas' opponent, the only decent option is to root for no one.

OSU irks me to varying degrees depending on their success but never like Texas, and I can at least admit to pulling for them casually if OU isn't involved...sometimes. We share the same state, and they're just so non-threatening. Always a kick in the pants to see their dreams crushed as in the Cotton Bowl, though. Muahahaha...

TTU and TAMU both have annoying chips on their shoulders, though I did like Leach except during any OU@TTU and it's funny to me that TAMU has fallen to/below TTU's level. Especially how much Aggies hate the idea. I think the whole OU/Nebraska class-it-up slobber-fest is highly overrated and the rivalry equivalent of the congressional address "my esteemed colleague the representative from Nebraska," ie, smiling through gritted teeth. (I cribbed that from America: The Book.) The other six I don't have strong opinions on. Oh, I think ISU is one of my favorite scrappy underdogs, and it's neat to see them make the NCAA tourney or win a bowl game. I don't know why, but I always had a fascination with them. Something about the colors, the odd name/logos, and the weird "smallish state split across 2 BCS conferences" thing. Other five, then.

MrJimBeam
2/1/2010, 05:54 AM
I don't root for any other Big 12 teams and sometimes hope for certain teams to fail.....big.

rawlingsHOH
2/1/2010, 09:45 AM
I dislike the entire conference, and always root for them to lose non-conference and bowl games, with the exception of Nebraska.

OUDoc
2/1/2010, 10:34 AM
Only thing I would add:

texas- arrogant fans who are ignorant of their moderate past success in football.

O-State- ignorant fans who are arrogant of their lack of past success in football.

T-Tech- white trash of the Big 12, no history and no realization that they have no history, they just want to get drunk before passing out in their trailers.

A&M- I used to pull for them but the more I learn about them, the more they creep me out.

Iowa State- Like Phil said, I kinda pull for them. They've got nothing else going for them. Plus, they're an old Big 8 team.

TexasLidig8r
2/1/2010, 10:42 AM
. . . go back to the Big 8

I second this 1000%.

Have Texas go to the Big 10/11 or the Pac 10.

And watch the Big 8.. err.. Big 2 Little 6 flap in the breeze with a very small television contract and no national appeal.

OUDoc
2/1/2010, 10:52 AM
I second this 1000%.

And watch the Big 8.. err.. Big 2 Little 6 flap in the breeze with a very small television contract and no national appeal.
Would it change my ability to watch OU play locally? I doubt it.
Would it drastically effect the rest of the Big 12? Probably.
Would it be worth it (to me) to get rid of Texas? Probably.

Lid, if Texas has so much appeal, why couldn't it hold up the SWC on it's own?

TexasLidig8r
2/1/2010, 11:07 AM

Face of college football has dramatically changed in terms of television revenue, corporate sponsorships and cable outlets in the past 20 years.

Take for example, XYZ Corporation. Suppose XYZ looks at the Southwest Conference and says.. ok.. there's 26 million people who reside in Texas. That's a pretty good start. But, I have to pay $5 million a year in advertising revenue to have exposure to those 26 million people. If I want to stay a regionalized corporation, I suppose I could.

OR...

Suppose Texas were in the Pac 10. Now, XYZ Corporation says.. ok.. Texas is the bellweather program in the State of Texas with its 26 million residents. In addition to that, I have some exposure in Phoenix/Tempe, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle. I have to pay $8 million a year in advertising revenue, but I have much greater exposure to millions of additional potential consumers.

Dollars and cents drive the conference train now. University presidents want to know how much revenue the television contracts will bring in, what the demographics look like so they can go to the corporate sponsors and say, "ok.. you pay the university $10 million a year, and you become the "Official Airline/Drink/Taco/Uniform Supplier of Popcorn State U." In exchange for that, you get exposure to a consumer base of 50 million potential users of your product."

Mjcpr
2/1/2010, 11:12 AM
I guess the new Super Conference will be NYU, Rutgers, DePaul, ND, Oregon, USC, ASU, Houston, San Fran U and, of course, Texas.

KantoSooner
2/1/2010, 11:35 AM
Leroy. New Avatar.

Buckaroo Banzai, explain yourself!

CaliBornSoonerBred
2/1/2010, 11:39 AM
tex-Can't stand em. Living in Texas, the bandwagon fans came out of the woodwork after radio and it's so annoying bc they are the majority and they do not know their stuff and spew garbage from the mouth constantly. The decent fans are few and far between and the few whorn fan friends I have completely agree that the large group of bad apples tarnish those who are good fans. We all have bad apples but living here, you encounter more ignorance than those who want to have a spirited discussion.

osu- little brother who sometimes gets a good jab in on you in a fight but you always knock him out. orange is just so damn ugly.

tech-the most classless, distasteful fan base I've ever seen(yes, more than the lsu ******s we had to deal with back in 03'). They are the epitome of morons and to combine ignorance with a huge lack of class is enough to make me want to punt a midget. Leach was fun to watch and wait to hear what came out of his mouth but now that he's gone, I want to see them go 0-12 every season.

Baylor-I have nothing against Baylor and would like to see them have some success. Robert Griffin is a beast who can get them a bowl win. I just can't stand Art Briles going back to him time at Stephenville.

A&M-I have always respected the tradition and passion that they have but the guard is changing. The new aggs do not hold a lot of the admirable qualities that the old guard had. Living here has made me see this more but most of the fan base are decent and are great to tailgate with.

ISU-they're still in the Big 12?? I have to admit, it was fun watching them get within a game of the Big 12 north title back in 04.

Mizzou-idiot fans who have a huge false sense of being good. They are right up there with Tech fans in my book. I loved watching Lofton making booger boy his b*tch and the beat downs in the Big 12 Championship wer just icing on the cake to shut them up.

Colorado-no significance to me unless we play in boulder. I know every fan base has idiots but at the Big 12 champ in 04, they had some really, really moronic, idiotic fans running their mouths until we put the game out of reach about 15 min after kickoff.

KState-that nagging team who can be good every few years and make things scary for the big teams. I guess I'm neutral.

Kansas-had to love seeing the big blueberry do well there, especially since he didn't beat us in that time frame. Gill seems like a class act so I hope they have some success except against us of course.

Nebraska-overly nice fans who are so cordial that it's almost annoying. Can't help but have a great respect for them and their program.

rawlingsHOH
2/1/2010, 11:41 AM

Face of college football has dramatically changed in terms of television revenue, corporate sponsorships and cable outlets in the past 20 years.

Take for example, XYZ Corporation. Suppose XYZ looks at the Southwest Conference and says.. ok.. there's 26 million people who reside in Texas. That's a pretty good start. But, I have to pay $5 million a year in advertising revenue to have exposure to those 26 million people. If I want to stay a regionalized corporation, I suppose I could.

OR...

Suppose Texas were in the Pac 10. Now, XYZ Corporation says.. ok.. Texas is the bellweather program in the State of Texas with its 26 million residents. In addition to that, I have some exposure in Phoenix/Tempe, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle. I have to pay $8 million a year in advertising revenue, but I have much greater exposure to millions of additional potential consumers.

Dollars and cents drive the conference train now. University presidents want to know how much revenue the television contracts will bring in, what the demographics look like so they can go to the corporate sponsors and say, "ok.. you pay the university $10 million a year, and you become the "Official Airline/Drink/Taco/Uniform Supplier of Popcorn State U." In exchange for that, you get exposure to a consumer base of 50 million potential users of your product."
So could a Texas-lead SWC survive today?

TexasLidig8r
2/1/2010, 12:03 PM
So could a Texas-lead SWC survive today?

No.

Just like I believe the Big XII is eventually doomed.. same reasons.. not enough television sets, not big enough population base in the majority of the states.

JLEW1818
2/1/2010, 12:05 PM
somebody has to figure a way to beat the SEC champ.

if they don't beat themselves up, they usually win it

Clever Trevor
2/1/2010, 12:16 PM
I occasionally cheer for you f'ing hillbillies. The rest? not so much.

OUDoc
2/1/2010, 12:35 PM
No.

Just like I believe the Big XII is eventually doomed.. same reasons.. not enough television sets, not big enough population base in the majority of the states.

You're assuming that every corporation wants or needs nationwide exposure. Not all are nationwide companies, nor do they want to pay for a nationwide ad. Many "national" TV broadcasts have local ads placed in them by the network affiliates, so companies can pick and choose where they want to advertise anyway.
According to what you're saying, only nation-wide super-conferences will survive. That makes no sense to me as travel and time zone differences will cause problems. Plus, I don't care what Fresno State is doing, no matter how large their market may or may not be. Not only do "nationally known" programs generate interest. Proximity to home drives up interest too. Do you think I'd pay any attention to the University of Tulsa if it wasn't so close? I didn't follow the NBA AT ALL until we got the Thunder.
I disagree that the major conferences can't survive with only minor changes. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 12:55 PM
Leroy. New Avatar.

Buckaroo Banzai, explain yourself!

Well, I can always go back to the dog picture.

JLEW1818
2/1/2010, 12:57 PM
Cheetos

KantoSooner
2/1/2010, 12:59 PM
Well, I can always go back to the dog picture.

no, no. just curious as to what possessed you.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 01:01 PM
Got tired of looking at the dog picture.

Dio
2/1/2010, 01:31 PM
How do you feel about the rest of the Big 12?

**** on 'em, except the bugeaters

Boomer38Sooner
2/1/2010, 04:41 PM
texASS - i just hate them, they are our rivals, fans are inconsiderate and bandwaggony. I HATE UT

OSU - I just hate their fans. They talk crap about how OU always blames people when they lose yet they are the first fans to say "WE SUCK!". hypocrites

Texas Tech - I just don't like their cocky attitude. And for some reason they seem like tools because they wear Under Armor. I don't know why...

A&M - I like these Aggies... partly because my Uncle is a huge fan and because they aren't as annoying. Not to mention, BEST BAND IN THE COUNTRY

Baylor- Who doesn't like Baylor? haha

Nebraska - even though they are our rivals, I like them. Nice fans

Kansas State - don't like em, don't hate em. Middle of the road

Kansas - don't like em, don't hate em. Middle of the road

Iowa State - Iowa who? Don't care

Missouri - HATED them when they had Booger Daniel. Now they are okay. Their Nike Pro Combat jerseys were the coolest jerseys on the face of the planet

Colorado - I like Colorado. I'm an outdoorsy guy. Gotta like the buffs

Collier11
2/1/2010, 04:44 PM
I second this 1000%.

So you would leave the Big 12 which you can only win 2 out of 10 years for the pac 10 where you would only trump usc 2 out of 10 years, brilliant

JLEW1818
2/1/2010, 05:04 PM
won his conference twice in 25 years as a head coach, yet he is a top coach

ahhhhh

Collier11
2/1/2010, 05:06 PM
I will give Mack Brown the last 4 years, they have been great. Previous to that, his coaching career was that of underachievement

JLEW1818
2/1/2010, 05:13 PM
ole Stoops has only been a head coach for 11 years!

So, 14 years from now... i wonder what will be on his resume

oudavid1
2/1/2010, 05:31 PM
Nebraska - Great Fans, Great Tradition
Missouri - Decent Tradition, Decent Team
Kansas - Sub-Par Program, Basketball School
Kansas State - Nice Fans, Decent Program
Iowa State - Old School, Poor Program

Baylor - Little Brother School, Nice Fans
Texas Tech - No Leach, No Program
Texas A&M - Love The Tradition, And The Competition
Oklahoma State - Makes Us Look Good And Not Feel Bad About It With The **** Talking Fans
texas - Hate Their Team, Hate Their Fans, Want To Play Them Every Year

MyT Oklahoma
2/2/2010, 11:29 PM
Until last year (2008) I cheered for all of the Big 12 teams in non conference games because I always believed that it made the conference look better iof we won. However, after all of the poor sport stunts that * pulled after they lost the South tie breaker, I cheered for Ohio State last year and Alabama this year just to shut * up. I won $50 from the only * fan who would bet on the BCS National Championship Game which only goes to show that * fans have big mouths but no real faith in their team.

I've always respected Nebraska. I like to see them do well.

I could care less about Colorado or Iowa State. They don't offend me although I've never been to a game in Boulder.

I could really care less what OSU does. They are just there I suppose and I simply ignore them until we play them.

As a native Kansan I cannot stand KU and love to see them totally bite it unless their playing Missouri who I truly cannot stand at all.

I spent one year at Kansas State so I like to see them do well unless their playing OU.

As for the other three Texas teams, I could really care less one way or another although Texas Tech is more than a little annoying because of the suspect officiating down there.